Shadows

"A Pirate's Life!" Contest - Discussion Thread

I think I'm going to have to agree with some others here and say that these restrictions seem a little too limiting in some cases. I'm thinking - would one consider the Imperial Outpost a large set? That particular product weighs in at just about 200 pieces and is designed in a very simplistic mid-nineties style - lots of prefabricated walls, roofs, and rock.

Actually, that isn't a mid-90's thing at all, though it's commonly thought to be. The Pirate line, from the very beginning, relied on a lot of wall panels. Eldorado Fortress springs to mind, but it didn't even start there. What everyone refers to as Classic Castle, once you get past the yellow castle, is the very model of prefab, and that was years before Pirates.

The contest itself was initially planned as a single 100 piece entry, something small and accessable to everyone. After some consideration, it was decided that the success of the Impulse contest warranted an Impulse class entry, and then kind donors offered up 3 prizes, so a third class was possible. I didn't want it to be much bigger than the existing classes or someone might not have time to come up with 3 quality entries in the allotted time. Hence, 25, 100 and 200 piece limits.

The term 'Large' was just meant to indicate larger than the rest, for lack of a better term. I realise it doesn't allow for massive ships, but to me that would be a different contest entirely. I'm sure we can look forward to such an offering in the future.

I hope you understand my thoughts and think nothing more of it, as there is no need to take them into consideration unless you seriously find a valid point in it.

There are certainly valid points, just not specifically for the intent of this contest. As I say, I'm sure there will be a larger contest in the future, and then those 800+ piece ships will be equally matched.

Thanks for your input!

I don't won't to be annoying but i got a couple more questions...

Question one: is a *skull* a fig or one peice or 6 peices and two: For the small entry can the peice count go over say, 10 peices over the limit or will it have to be entered as a big set entry, because if it does it probably won't stand a chance to the other big sets which will be bigger if you know what i'm sayin..

cheers *sweet*

EDIT: yet another question is a small row boat counted as a ship hull?

Edited by hollisbrick

Question one: is a *skull* a fig or one peice or 6 peices

A single skull is one piece when not part of a minifig. I don't understand the 6 pieces part at all. If you're asking about a skeleton, it's a minifig and counts against the minifig total. If you want to use a single skeleton arm or leg, those count as a piece. Theoretically, you could use a skull, 2 arms, and 2 legs, without it being a minifig, but it would count as 5 pieces.

... and two: For the small entry can the peice count go over say, 10 peices over the limit or will it have to be entered as a big set entry, because if it does it probably won't stand a chance to the other big sets which will be bigger if you know what i'm sayin..

The piece limit is the piece limit. If you have an entry that is 110 pieces, it's Large class. You can either redesign it to lose 10 pieces or go wild and add 90 more and make it something great, but whatever the final count ends up, that's the class you're in.

EDIT: yet another question is a small row boat counted as a ship hull?

Now that's a good question! No, row boats are not considered a hull piece. Neither are the Islander boats.

can we include a link to a folder with more pics (if three won't fully show our model.

It's also highly encouraged to create a thread for your entry AFTER the competition has finished (that includes judging as well).

In that thread you can post as many pics as you and your entry can receive all the attention it deserves.

Curious, but will each class win its own prize?

That is exactly what we have planned! Exciting, isn't it? *sweet*

Why not? One word of advice from experience though... make sure your main entry pic really sells it, because people rarely seem to click the link to even see the original entry post, so imagine how few will go there and then click a brickshelf link.

From my experience, this is very often true. X-D

That being said, I want to express my love for Phred's most recent entry; a work being both historically educational and creatively incorporated in to the pirate universe as well as one masterfully crafted in the style of an authentic Lego set. *y*
Phred, your turtle is amazing *y* No doubt about it! :-P I'd almost encourage you to build the Hunley too! :-D

Thanx guys. :'-)

I think the Hunley is too new for the pirates, being that it was launched in 1863. ;-)

The turtle sub was first used around 1776, well within the sailing era. *y*

Maybe we could have an Iron Clad competition and one of us could make the Hunley. :-)

P

Darn, mates! My Small entrie has 152 pieces!!!

Oh well, arrgh, my Small entry will be my Large one. I gonna post him direct.

Don't want to be a nag but i got one more question before I enter: does 4 peices of treasure count as one peice because they were once one peice when the came on the set?

Actually, that isn't a mid-90's thing at all, though it's commonly thought to be. The Pirate line, from the very beginning, relied on a lot of wall panels. Eldorado Fortress springs to mind, but it didn't even start there. What everyone refers to as Classic Castle, once you get past the yellow castle, is the very model of prefab, and that was years before Pirates.

The contest itself was initially planned as a single 100 piece entry, something small and accessable to everyone. After some consideration, it was decided that the success of the Impulse contest warranted an Impulse class entry, and then kind donors offered up 3 prizes, so a third class was possible. I didn't want it to be much bigger than the existing classes or someone might not have time to come up with 3 quality entries in the allotted time. Hence, 25, 100 and 200 piece limits.

The term 'Large' was just meant to indicate larger than the rest, for lack of a better term. I realise it doesn't allow for massive ships, but to me that would be a different contest entirely. I'm sure we can look forward to such an offering in the future.

There are certainly valid points, just not specifically for the intent of this contest. As I say, I'm sure there will be a larger contest in the future, and then those 800+ piece ships will be equally matched.

Thanks for your input!

Yes, but I wasn't really thinking of theoretically allowing for something in the leagues of 900 piece frigates (no pun intended) but rather 400 piece outposts on a small, flat baseplate. That could be potentially beneficial, especially for someone like me who likes to build with a high concentration of small pieces per alloted area for a higher level of detail, one who typically uses many pieces still resulting in something relatively small. Anyway, I do understand your preference for nice sized smaller things. ;-)

And you are most certainly welcome regarding the input, thank you for taking the time to respond to it.

Edited by oo7

Don't want to be a nag but i got one more question before I enter: does 4 peices of treasure count as one peice because they were once one peice when the came on the set?

Asked and answered previously.

Please read the full thread before asking questions. You might learn something you wouldn't have even thought to ask, and get the answer you need at the same time.

i asked a question but i i found the answer already sorry mates ;)

Edited by Legolas

My entries up! Enjoy!

BTW there are some great entries up so far!

I especially like Dukes, you have my vote unless some one else comes up with something better, but i doubt it :pir-wink:

My entry is up as well (my first published moc ever by the way *classic* )

But there's some stiff competition I see.

wow ive just entered i hope i win!!! doubt i will though. i dont have many pirates stuff just some minifigs that i stole i mean found at my old school :jollyroger:

Phreds entries are really good. The other entries are also good! That the best may win. ;)

Just as a general announcement, it isn't necessary to take a photo of the parts and include it in the 3 entry photos. You just need to be able to provide either a parts list or extra photos to verify the part count, if required.

-imperialshadows

:pir-grin:

Just as a general announcement, it isn't necessary to take a photo of the parts and include it in the 3 entry photos. You just need to be able to provide either a parts list or extra photos to verify the part count, if required.

-imperialshadows

:pir-grin:

I make damn fine announcements, even when I don't remember them. :pir-tongue:

It's true though. Matter of fact, if one wishes to include a parts pic, they may post 4 pics, 3 entry shots and a parts pic.

There. An even better announcement. :pir-grin:

Would I be able to use two baseplates in the small set category, as long as the studs on both combined are no more than 256 (studs on a 16x16 plate)? :pir-blush:

Would I be able to use two baseplates in the small set category, as long as the studs on both combined are no more than 256 (studs on a 16x16 plate)? :pir-blush:

We are quite possibly the most rule bendingest bunch I've ever seen.

If you're proprosing 2 8x16's, yes. But they count as 2 pieces! :pir-tongue:

We are quite possibly the most rule bendingest bunch I've ever seen.

Arrrrrrgh!

That's why we be pirates! :jollyroger:

P

There. An even better announcement. :pir-grin:

:pir_bawling:

That's why we be pirates! :jollyroger:

Nope, Pirates make rules. Imperials follow them, and Islanders bend them. :pir-wink: