Shadows

"A Pirate's Life!" Contest - Discussion Thread

Look who's back :pir_angry:

I've missed out so far; I'll see what I can come up with *sing*

But I'm a bit peeved about the lack of shipability - I'd have liked to have more than 200 pieces to build the next SES! X-D

Welcome back! I knew you couldn't resist this contest! *y*

As for more pieces... No. No. No.

BUT... if this contest is as successful as I hope it will be, perhaps we can try another in the future, with higher piece limits.

So, work to make this a success, and you just might get your chance!

This sounds like a fun chalenge.

Couple of questions:

Can gold coins count as one piece if they are still connected (to that "runner" thing, the way they come in a set) or does each coin have to be counted seperately?

The rules allow for digital entries but what about digitally altered entries? For instance: could a head be digitally altered to have a new face and not be counted as an additional piece like a decal?

Can gold coins count as one piece if they are still connected (to that "runner" thing, the way they come in a set) or does each coin have to be counted seperately?

Anything on a sprue is one piece. Coins, tools, speargun thingies. 1 piece each.

The rules allow for digital entries but what about digitally altered entries? For instance: could a head be digitally altered to have a new face and not be counted as an additional piece like a decal?

You're a sneaky one. ;-)

I'm going to give this some consideration before I answer, but am inclined to allow it for heads, for some reason. I'll confirm this later tonight.

I cringe when I look at my post count. I could've been doing something productive with that time. :'-(

My days are filled with non-productive time. *y*

Well, i've got my impulse entry done.

i'll be posting pics latter today.

and i'm almost done with the large one.

Now no one take my ideas before i can post them :-P

But i can't say what they are cause then someone might take them. 8-|

P

Double entry posting on! I was going to wait for someone else to post before putting my large entry up.. but I decided to go ahead anyway. I hope you'll agree the presentation is better for this one, i made sure to photograph outside and was careful with the image editing (in paint ;-))

Good job on the lightning Duke!

And your entry is also very very nice.

High quality first entries. I love that!!

Double entry posting on! I was going to wait for someone else to post before putting my large entry up.. but I decided to go ahead anyway. I hope you'll agree the presentation is better for this one, i made sure to photograph outside and was careful with the image editing (in paint ;-))

Your second entry looks fantastic. It would make a fine official pirate set. Really, I love it.

Let's how we get some more entries of this quality.

I have a question. Do animals count against the "animal count" if they're used in architecture? IE: Gray parrots for statues counting against the total animal count. In that case, do minifigs used as statues count against the minifig count? And what about skeletons used in a "decorative" manner (like the ones in the Adventurer Desert sets where they were mostly part of the structure)?

I have a question. Do animals count against the "animal count" if they're used in architecture? IE: Gray parrots for statues counting against the total animal count. In that case, do minifigs used as statues count against the minifig count? And what about skeletons used in a "decorative" manner (like the ones in the Adventurer Desert sets where they were mostly part of the structure)?

From reading the Lego catalogs, TLG always boasts the maximum # of M-F possible and always include skeletons in their M-F counts for sets. ;-)

BTW:

Entry entried. :-)

P

Some fine entries coming in, I'm quite pleased with the effort shown so far! *y*

Minifigs and skeletons definitely count, they're expensive to make. Parrots were supposed to be seperate from the animal count, but somewhere along the way, that was lost.

RULES UPDATED! Check the first post. There are now specific seperate limits for parrots and a change to the decal rule as it concerns minifigs. It's only reasonable to expect that a new Pirates line will need new torsos and hopefully new heads, so go wild, they no longer count against you at all. Only time decals count is when used for other purposes (signs, etc).

Thanx guys. :pir_blush: (it says he's blushing, but i don't see the smiley blushing 8-| )

So that's what you call a 200- piece ship ey? X-D

Yup, He paddles around in his wheelbarrow and throws cotton at your ship. :-D

P

i'm guessing the background story you provided us is about as historically accurate as can be. *y* X-D

Let's *change* history!

Question: when he throws the cotton at you, does he still expect payment for it?

Edited by Hairy Ruben

i'm guessing the background story you provided us is about as historically accurate as can be. *y* X-D

Question: when he throws the cotton at you, does he still expect payment for it?

Well as historically accurate as TLG will ever get ;-)

But it is accurate though, some of the first African population to the U.S. did come as indentured servants and not slaves. X-D

iQuestion: when he throws the cotton at you, does he still expect payment for it?

LOL! :-D

I have question.

Do we need to include spare parts? - Do they count against the piece count?

Does it have to have current colours, like bley, to make it like TLC would release it today? I don't have any bley cutlasses :'-(

Well as historically accurate as TLG will ever get ;-)

But they'd never release a set where something could be considered racist, hence why they removed the Hovito from the final Temple Escape...but then again, they did do Islanders... :-/

Edited by SlyOwl

What do people think of my pirate pub entry?

Firstly, many people like to give comments once many entries have come in :-)

It's very nice, but not that TLC; they wouldn't do a tiled floor and the playability for a younger audience is low. Furthermore, the cannons would be firing, but you can't help that ;-) (maybe). It's a nice MOC though, and maybe once the contest is over you could create a seperate thread for it... *y*

I really like your entry as a MOC. It's nice, but I think you have used to much figures? ;-)

A pub is great idea mate *y*

Lego never produced any of those, but should have.

P

Pretty sweet! *y*

This contest sounds great!

I already got a few ideas in mind!

Edited by hollisbrick

I just posted my Impulse Entry. TinyPiesRUs seems to have beaten me to the post though... 8-|

I knew I should have posted it last night! |-/

I shall just have to enter in a second category! X-D

Have fun guys! *y*