I've recently returned to LEGO, thanks in no small part to being given the 42056 Porsche 911 GT3 RS set as a birthday gift by my excellent friends.
It was amazing to see how Technics sets have progressed since my childhood but was very dissapointed to find that there were no B model in the instructions.
In my early days B models taught me that it was OK to pull apart a build and make something new and this was more than half the fun.
Well there was nothing else for it but to make my own and here it is!

44138439782_e9799c8482_b.jpg

The Lancia Stratos was an impressive, almost otherworldy machine that loomed large through my childhood and it   seemed a fine choice for the orange parts of 42056.

30337986168_7f4dcd92a4_b.jpg

The wheels are the right diameter but a lot wider so they take up a lot more room inboard than the real thing and have what you might call a cheeky amount of overlap on the guards but I reckon it works here.
I've kept the wheel base and track to scale.

43487741614_db7952a372_b.jpg

Everything opens and shuts like the original and there's a working 5 speed "H" pattern shift gearbox driving the transverse V6 in the back. You can add an additional part to activate reverse gear but this is not neccesary if you want to stay within the parts list of 42056.

44205546181_799a953898_b.jpg

There are instructions available and the first chapter, the gearbox, is free so that you can see if you can work with them or not.
They're available here: INSTRUCTIONS
You'll find some unusual choices in terms of parts and placement but remember that this is an alternate build and the bricks available are somewhat limited.

29268881677_553bd31072_b.jpg

Since this is a B model and all the parts are sourced from 42056 it was tricky to get the form and functions that I wanted without too many compromises but the details of the MOC are:

Dimensions : Studs = 69 x 56 x 23    cm = 55 x 44.6 x 19
Weight = 2.02 kg
Part count = 2197

- 5 speed "H" pattern gearbox with optional reverse
- working fake transverse V6 engine
- steering via HOG that moves the wheels and steering wheel
- front and rear independent suspension
- openable bonnet, boot and doors

43299761515_8eee39ec46_b.jpg

I hope you like it and I'm looking forward to spending a lot of time in this community, I never knew what an AFOL was until a couple of weeks ago and now it turns out I am one - it's a brave new world for me!

43299757365_41a06c1316_b.jpg

Pretty cool model, I especially like all the angles. Extra points for it being a C model, and representing an existing car, and a pretty challenging one at that! It feels much smaller than the Porsche, but that may be an illusion. Using 2200 out of 2700 parts seems pretty good.

I'm not sure I like the large black 5x11 panels at the back, but I don't know the real car well enough to know whether it's realistic or not. The wheels look a little wide, and seem to stick out a bit, but there's not much you can do about that.

Functionality seems decent, but pretty good considering the set it's from. I like how the front and rear open up and show the insides. If this is what comes out of your mind when doing C models, I'm curious to know what you will do if not limited to a single set :)

4 hours ago, Pleasedontspammebro said:

I've recently returned to LEGO

Can´t believe it *huh*... However, you´r welcome! Superb job and as others said, I´m curious what you will come up with having no such limitations..

Really good work there, impressive to be based only on the available parts in the set :thumbup:

This build is a real eye catcher. It immediately looks like the car you’re trying to mimic - in great detail. I find your story close to mine 3 years back when I got into it again. Technic had come such a far way from my early memories and more complicated designs are now attainable. If this is your first model after returning from the dark ages my gosh what’s next! 

The Lancia Stratos is one of my all-time favourite cars and I am really happy you created this great B-Model! One reason more for those who do not yet have bought the Porsche to get one. Your creation makes it more than a display model.

I have bought the instructions already. Once I finish building the Chiron, I think this will be next ...

I share what others have expressed already, if this is your first MOC, I am really curious what your next MOCs will be!

8 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

I'm not sure I like the large black 5x11 panels at the back, but I don't know the real car well enough to know whether it's realistic or not.

You're right on there Erik, the real car does have quite a distinctively large and flat rear spoiler but not that large and flat.
Still, I'm happy with the "kicked up the big behind" look that's part of what makes the original seem so poised for flight.

8 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

Can´t believe it *huh*... However, you´r welcome! Superb job and as others said, I´m curious what you will come up with having no such limitations..

Thanks brunojj1 - looking at the quality of your MOCs I think I'll stick to alternate builds for a while so that I have a good excuse for not living up to your high standard of work!

5 hours ago, Lox Lego said:

Technic had come such a far way from my early memories and more complicated designs are now attainable.

How lucky are we!?
I feel a little sad about some of the sets that I missed out on in the interim but can't wait to see what's next!

5 hours ago, WvG_853 said:

The Lancia Stratos is one of my all-time favourite cars and I am really happy you created this great B-Model! One reason more for those who do not yet have bought the Porsche to get one. Your creation makes it more than a display model.

I have bought the instructions already. Once I finish building the Chiron, I think this will be next ...

I share what others have expressed already, if this is your first MOC, I am really curious what your next MOCs will be!

Thanks for your kind words and for purchasing the instructions!
I hope that you have as much fun with the build as I did.

Thanks for the support and encouragement everyone. I'm surprised and humbled by it all, especially given the experience and quality of work that so many of you have here.
I feel a bit like I've just been promoted to the big boy team before I was ready for it!

I'm not sure what my next MOC will be - maybe I'll stick with the theme of machines I've lusted over for many years and make a Vincent HRD!
Maybe I'll try for another alternate build of 42056, I like the challenge of a limited set of parts and seeing what I can do to subvert the original designers ideas.

More importantly, I cant wait to see what everyone else comes up with next.

7 hours ago, Pleasedontspammebro said:

But coming out of the dark ages with such a build plus instructions means you´ve skipped some major steps nobody else is capable of so far as I know..

Please do something with this new crammed blue thing of which I can think only to use the wheels & hubs in my next MOC so far.

2 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

But coming out of the dark ages with such a build plus instructions means you´ve skipped some major steps nobody else is capable of so far as I know..

Please do something with this new crammed blue thing of which I can think only to use the wheels & hubs in my next MOC so far.

Kind words brunojj1, thanks!
I must say it's been fun sharing the limelight with your amazing McLaren MOC on Rebrickable.

I may have skipped a few decades of LEGO but I spent that time working in physical effects for film and TV, then worked as a technician in a bronze foundry and for the last 20 years I've been living off my paractice as a sculptor and producing some very large public works. All this is to say that I haven't stopped working with my hands and since there's also been quite a bit of digital 3D modelling in my art practice, Stud.io wasn't too alien to me.
Also I'm quite used to unpacking the creative process for engineers and clients and am familiar with desktop publishing so the instructions weren't quite the leap that they should have been for a first timer.

I haven't bought the Bugatti set yet - I'm not so interested in modern super cars and to me that's a particularly ugly one - but I have loaded the parts list into Stud.io and started thinking about it.
More parts but strangely less to work with than the Porsche from my point of view. Ironically my main problem is that the wheels are so iconic that they limit the options when it comes to an alternate build, especially if you're interested in older vehicles.

I do have a very large barrel of bits, mostly old and faded but I like the idea of alternate builds, they mean that others can build a MOC without the massive financial outlay of buying multiple sets or individual parts online.
An alternate build means that if you own the set you can get double (or triple etc...) the enjoyment out of it and more importantly it shows that it's OK to go off plan and play around.

Anyway, that's more than enough rambling from me, thanks again for your kind words and now (thanks to you) I'm going to have another look at the Bugatti parts and see what they have to offer.

Wow sweet model, great work getting the angles correct :thumbup:.
Only one problem....there's no rust....must be fresh out of the factory :laugh::tongue: