Sign in to follow this  
WhiteFang

REVIEW: 75214 Anakin's Jedi Starfighter

gallery_6705_157_22742.png

Hello everyone,

I am back to share one of my latest Summer Star Wars purchase and this new release excites me greatly. Thankfully I had managed to get this off at a very reasonable price instead of having to pay a full SRP for it locally in Singapore. I had been contemplating for this set for a long time and it is a timely release for such an iconic Jedi Starfighter led by General Skywalker in the Clone Wars. Yes, this is the tenth anniversary of the Clone Wars and seeing this set appearing once more versus the 7669 Anakin's Jedi Starfighter, released in 2008. Without further ado, let me indulge you guys in this simple review.  

Name: 75214 Anakin's Jedi Starfighter
Theme: LEGO System / Licensed / Star Wars / The Clone Wars
Year: 2018
Pieces: 247
Minifigs: 1 minifigure and 1 droid
Price: USD 19.99, GBP 25.99, EURO 29.99, SGD 59.90
Resources: Brickset, BrickLinkBrick Insights

An original box image of the 75214 Anakin's Jedi Starfighter
30518378648_182ffe3b29_b_d.jpg

Back view of the original box image of the 75214 Anakin's Jedi Starfighter
44336822842_af12ee8cb2_o_d.jpg

Anakin is back with a re-release of this starfighter
43478151595_2ccc333771_b_d.jpg

Jedi Starfighters are the main commanding fighters among flight squadron for the Republic. Each starfighter is commandeer by a Jedi during the Clone Wars and are highly revered as Commanders or Generals with regards to the Clone Troopers. Till this date, there are a couple of Jedi Starfighters released as early as 2002. I never really had a chance to own a decent Jedi Starfighters and in fact, this is my very first Jedi Starfighter to add into my Clone Wars collection. I had always liked General Skywalker in the Clone Wars and getting this as my first make lots of sense, coupled with good pricing. It was hard to say no. 

The content of the sealed box
30518376838_fce1778ff4_o_d.jpg

The sealed box come with three numbered mint packs. The instruction manual is part of the content. This set also contain a dreaded sticker sheet which I did not apply for my set. After the set is completed, these are the remaining spare parts which are spread across the packs. You can view the spare parts for packet 1, packet 2 and packet 3.  

Anakin Skywalker and R2-D2
30518380428_869425bfe7_o_d.jpg
This set contain the main protagonist of the Clone Wars - Anakin Skywalker or otherwise known as General Skywalker, of the 501st Legion, accompanied by Captain Rex. Anakin Skywalker had appeared 19 different variants ranging from original yellow skin tone to cartoonish version of Clone Wars and the regular fleshie appearances. This is one of the nicer looking minifigure of Anakin Skywalker and some of my other favourites include the 9494 Anakin's Jedi Interceptor and 9526 Palpatine's Arrest. While Anakin's trusty droid, R2-D2  in this design has magically appeared in 5 recent setsBy turning them to their back and removal of hairpiece, you can see back view of the minifigure with alternate facial expression including back printing

The entire building content for Packet 1
30518373608_c76ebaee86_b_d.jpg

The completed built for Packet 1
30518372678_ed90888465_b_d.jpg

The entire building content for Packet 2
44336819932_f94782ac82_b_d.jpg

The completed built for Packet 2
43478152605_2f8396e41f_o_d.jpg

The entire building content for Packet 3
43478152365_0e43f23de1_b_d.jpg

The completed built of the Anakin's Jedi Starfighter
44336817362_d7cd4e182e_o_d.jpg
The completed built of the Anakin's Jedi Starfighter design is nicely done and well articulated. Swooshable and medium built for such a starfighter to handle with great playing. More importantly, it stay true with the reference material. It is a pity that I do not have the 2008 version to compare with. Looking at the two designs together, both are pretty similar in their built and placement of key design components. I noticed that it had smooth the front of the starfighter and R2-D2 docking area is much compact and streamlined which I prefer in this version. 

This set measured at 8cm high, 10cm long and 13cm wide. It has a decent playability including the landing gear, hidden storage of the lightsaber beneath the starfighter and stud shooters on the slant wings. I didn't notice there is a hidden storage for extra ammos and I had concluded it was located pretty near the front of R2-D2 docking station. The cockpit flight control front is a printed roof tile and it is welcoming than a stickered piece. You just need to lift it up to discover it. s very simple and good-to-have feature to accompany this battle pack. You can enjoy more of the up close viewing angles from the side view and back view

Sir, we will hit the Separatist Forces hard
44336815642_1f83d63458_o_d.jpg

Ready for the next war mission?
29449100277_7a047b347f_o_d.jpg

Your safety is secured with General Skywalker
29449099787_ae814805d9_o_d.jpg

Rex, which starfighter should I be taking?
30518379378_a2d984ab13_o_d.jpg

Off we go to our next adventure
42577070610_59ed3896fb_o_d.jpg

To conclude, this is a slightly high above average LEGO Star Wars Starfighter for a Jedi. Jedi Starfighters are normally priced at a premium range and it is only make perfect sense to buy it when is on sale or the minifigures' count increase more than 1. Droid does not count as a minifigure. I bought this set purely because my Clone Troopers need a proper General Skywalker leading the troopers into battle during the Clone Wars era. Furthermore, this starfighter is very iconic in the Clone Wars and is instant recognisable in the Clone War cartoon series. I enjoyed as much as building it as well as actually playing with it. Last but not least, I do not have to pay premium price to get the decade old set and this re-release is welcoming in my context. 

Summary review
Playability: 8/10 (Fun to play with various play scenes, which you can imagine from the Clone Wars series)
Design: 8/10 (Good re-released Jedi Starfighter design and nice minifigure too.)
Price: 5/10 (Get this set when it on sales as I find it very expensive to pay it at full SRP in Singapore.)
Overall: 7/10 (Get this Jedi Starfighter or simply let this design be your ever first one to begin with, if you have never buy one in the first place. You will find it worthy for swooshing.)

I gave it a "4" based on my Review Score Card. :wink: What about yours?  (Star Wars poll function is still broken and I exclude the poll in this review). 

I hope every one of you enjoyed reading this simple review of mine. Comments and Criticisms are strongly welcomed.

Pictures can be found in My Flickr.

The comlink headset isn't particularly elegant.. I wish the secondary face of Anakin doesn't have the comlink headset but it's still good to have 2 face prints.

I think by now there isn't much to improve on R2-D2 so it's fine if the same R2 version is used.

As for the build itself, nothing remarkable. Like you said in the summary, if  this is the first Jedi Starfighter someone is buying, it is not bad at all. I welcome the rerelease of other Delta 7B Aethersprite class light interceptor, but do hope it's not going to be full rehash. I see some minor improvement in this version of Anakin's Jedi Starfighter so I think that's fair enough.

2 minutes ago, makoy said:

The comlink headset isn't particularly elegant.. I wish the secondary face of Anakin doesn't have the comlink headset but it's still good to have 2 face prints.

I think by now there isn't much to improve on R2-D2 so it's fine if the same R2 version is used.

As for the build itself, nothing remarkable. Like you said in the summary, if  this is the first Jedi Starfighter someone is buying, it is not bad at all. I welcome the rerelease of other Delta 7B Aethersprite class light interceptor, but do hope it's not going to be full rehash. I see some minor improvement in this version of Anakin's Jedi Starfighter so I think that's fair enough.

Thanks Makoy. You have rightfully pointed out on the comlink headset. I agree and do wish that the secondary face doesn't have the comlink. You have reminded me. I wanted to have a proper looking Anakin Skywalker in my collection (minus from the cartoonish version which I have). Hence, this is quite a good replacement for it but after you have pointed out. I begin to have second thoughts. 

Thanks for the awesome review Fangy!  I love seeing the set alongside the other recent prequel/CW sets and the figures.  

It's great to see a Clone Wars Anakin without the ugly eyes of the earlier version of this ship. The ship itself I'm not so keen on: it looks a bit lumpy to my eyes, and like every other LEGO Delta starfighter it's too big.  These Deltas are tiny things.

I don't know how the price in Singapore compares to the other SW sets; this doesn't look too overpriced in GBP to me (being the same price as the Han Solo speeder) and not a rip-off like some of the other sets from this wave (I'm looking at you, X-Wing!)

Keep up the good work Fangy!  :wub:

Thanks again for the great review, enjoyed reading it, although it seemed to make me like the set slightly less. I have to say though I found it fun to build and I liked the way they put so few parts together to make a fairly large ship, some interesting techniques too. One thing I didn't like though is if the pilot drops his cigarette lighter it will just fall right thru the bottom of the ship, minor inconvenience at best. 

The CW Anakin is a nice new fig as it is without those giant eyes.

R2 would be nice to have back printing, and I do have mixed feelings towards it. It is less accurate as the cockpit is way too high up to accommodate R2, and has less features, and TLG also stuffed up the rear landing gear. I would prefer the old set has it has better functions but the cockpit and figures are bad. 

And Whitefang, great review! 

Thanks guys for your thoughts and comments. 

12 hours ago, Rufus said:

Thanks for the awesome review Fangy!  I love seeing the set alongside the other recent prequel/CW sets and the figures.  

It's great to see a Clone Wars Anakin without the ugly eyes of the earlier version of this ship. The ship itself I'm not so keen on: it looks a bit lumpy to my eyes, and like every other LEGO Delta starfighter it's too big.  These Deltas are tiny things.

I don't know how the price in Singapore compares to the other SW sets; this doesn't look too overpriced in GBP to me (being the same price as the Han Solo speeder) and not a rip-off like some of the other sets from this wave (I'm looking at you, X-Wing!)

Keep up the good work Fangy!  :wub:

Thanks Rufus! Glad to see you dropping by. :wub: 
Yes and yes to the omission of the ugly eyes of Anakin. Well, you can modify it slightly and as for me, this is my first ever Jedi's Starfighter to swoosh around in the house. The pricing for SGD is amounted to $59.90 and to be honest for this set count, I will think $44.90 is a much reasonable pricing. For the SGD to GBP conversion for SG SRP, it will amount to GBP 33.68 at 1.78 exchange rate today. So, yes it is not reasonable for local SRP pricing. Then again, there is always another topic to discuss on this kind of sensitivities. 

By the way, buddy. I got the new X-Wing Fighter and I have not built though (looking forward to buil it). It's terribly priced at SRP. I agree and best to find it at a discount. 

12 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

Thanks again for the great review, enjoyed reading it, although it seemed to make me like the set slightly less. I have to say though I found it fun to build and I liked the way they put so few parts together to make a fairly large ship, some interesting techniques too. One thing I didn't like though is if the pilot drops his cigarette lighter it will just fall right thru the bottom of the ship, minor inconvenience at best. 

You are right on the cockpit having a small gap from beneath the seat below. It is not exactly visible unless you look at it directly. I think that is still quite acceptable even though it will be preferred to extend till the end of the cockpit from the bricks below (near the wings and engine). 

11 hours ago, m4st3rt3ch said:

Nice review! What's the other ship again? Can't find the set.

What are you looking for? 

6 hours ago, JarJarBonks said:

The CW Anakin is a nice new fig as it is without those giant eyes.

R2 would be nice to have back printing, and I do have mixed feelings towards it. It is less accurate as the cockpit is way too high up to accommodate R2, and has less features, and TLG also stuffed up the rear landing gear. I would prefer the old set has it has better functions but the cockpit and figures are bad. 

And Whitefang, great review! 

Fully agree that R2-D2 ought to have back printing but R2-D2 as being the famous droid. I guess they wanted to leave it intact for maximum exposure on the same droid type design. I can't comment on the older set in terms of playability but this is quite good enough for me. Thanks for sharing. 

2 hours ago, WhiteFang said:

What are you looking for? 

Asking Rex which ship to take. It looks like an old version of Yoda's starfighter.

17 hours ago, m4st3rt3ch said:

Asking Rex which ship to take. It looks like an old version of Yoda's starfighter.

That ship which I had included was indeed Anakin's Jedi Interceptor. This is a 9494 set which was released in 2012. 

3 hours ago, WhiteFang said:

That ship which I had included was indeed Anakin's Jedi Interceptor. This is a 9494 set which was released in 2012. 

Ahhh, yes, now i remember. Interceptor, not starfighter. That's why i couldn't find it, thanks!