Zilmrud

City of Zamorah - The hidden city (Avalonia)

Recommended Posts

Zamorah - The hidden city

The city of Zamorah is located on top of a high mountain. It's located in the north of Avalonia at the border to Mitgardia by the river. The city is predominantly populated by humans, elfs, dwarves and fauns. For many hundreds of years, The Aurum Order has ruled Zamorah with an ancient family of men named af Drachen as their leaders. Surrounding the mountain are larger land areas belonging to the city. For the most part, the lands are covered with farms, livestock farmers and smaller villages. All of it suppling the city with food. Zamorah is now looking for new trading partners to promote their exclusive products of Aurumium as well as dragon eggs and dragons.

43660880574_496b79a5d2.jpg

 

The history of Zamorah

The legend says, that an older druid and his wife found a solitary mountain peak when the druid searched for a place of total privacy to immerse himself in the secrets of the druids. At the top of the mountain he settled and called the place Zamorah, after his wife.

 

 

29434645187_a66d211083.jpg

 

After years of studying and meditating, the druid felt a disturbance in his surroundings. A weak disturbance that slowly increased in his consciousness until he could not think of anything else. To find the source of the disturbance, he climbed down the mountain top. On his way down the mountain he got lost and ended up in a cave. As he entered the darkness of the cave, a buzz began to build up in his ears and he felt a strong force in the darkness. In the dim light, he noticed a shimmering in the cave's rear wall – a beautiful precious metal with a strong elemental power.

43654239784_a2a8418883.jpg

The druid rushed back up the mountain, picked up a sledgehammer and chisel and climbed back down to the cave. After many days of hacking, and many tools broken, he finally loosened a piece of metal from the wall. He rushed back up and examined the metal. It was breathtakingly beautiful with a color like gold, but was much harder. He tried to work the metal for days but was unable to make even the slightest mark on it, or affect it in any way. Despite his – in his own opinion – extensive knowledge of alchemy, he failed to process it.

He wrote letters to three of his most trustworthy friends and sent it with his owl – the elf druid called Sintrimi in The Enchanted Forest, the dwarf metallurgist named Aldur in the Mitgardia's mines and the human mage named Primus from southern Avalonia. They heard the call and came to his aid on the mountain peak.

30503659728_82a7a46efe.jpg

43464196945_1c75e3fbc7.jpg

After several months of examining and testing the metal, they found that an extreme heat was required to affect the metal. A heat that could only be induced by dragon breath. The druid went out and searched for dragons in the Nocturnus mountain range. When he finally found one, he used his zoolinguistic skills to communicate with the dragon. The dragon agreed to help – if they could pay with a big fat ox for dinner.

 

 

With the help of the dragon the druids were able to get the metal hot enough to process it like regular steel. After the metal had cooled though, they realized it as hard as steel and looked like precious gold. They named the new found metal Aurumium.

43464197015_3f01c9be4d.jpg

 

 

The druid and his friends quickly understood that this new metal was very valuable and that they had to keep it a secret. They formed a covenant and agreed to keep their knowledge a secret from the outside world, not sharing their knowledge until the last piece of the metal was mined. Thus, the Aurum Order was formed. The druid and his heirs would stand as rulers over Zamorah along with the other members of The Aurum Order, consisting of descendants of the elf, the dwarf and the human mage.

In order to continue melting and working the metal, a long-term collaboration between druids and dragons began in Zamorah. The Aurum order vowing to give the dragons protection and food in exchange for heating the ovens. So more and more dragons settled in caves in the mountain and made it their home for generations to come.

Centuries passed as Zamorah and its population grew into a large town on the mountain top, while the mountain beneath it was slowly eroding when mining for the precious metal continued. To protect themselves from the outside world, mages were given the task of creating and holding a large protective magic dome around the entire mountain. The dome protected the mountain and the city from the eyes of Historicas inhabitants. Only those who had been invited by The Aurum Order could see the mountain and its town. For all others, it was completely invisible. The spell also ensured that those who had been invited, could not tell anyone else that Zamorah existed. Even under torture, one could not get information about its whereabouts. Some had heard stories about an old hidden city, but since its location and name was unknown, it was said to be a myth.

From the Aurumium, the inhabitants of Zamorah made exclusive weapons, armor and other items which they then sold to a few of the richest people in Historica. When mining Aurumium, they also found other metals and gems that allowed them to trade with others in Historica. Revenues made Zamorah and The Aurum Order very rich.

The long cooperation with the dragons resulted in a good connection between the druids and the dragons. Over time, a unique language developed. Dragon riders were trained and special dragons were bred for the riders as transportation and to protect the lands. The riders and dragons created a very strong bond with each other.

Over time, the other residents of Zamorah and the dragons also learned to have simple communication. Dragon eggs and specially bred dragons were also sold to some of the richest in Historica. However, they are very unusual.

In order to protect themselves against intruders the walls of Zamorah were fortified and strengthened with Aurumium. As a resultat of this, the whole city is shining on top of the mountain.

Zamorah has also got heavily armed knights and dragon riders to protect the city if anyone were to accidently stumble across it. In order to prevent such a thing occurring, access to the city was very limited. The only way to get up to the city is by water to reach the port inside the hollow mountain. From there, a lift can take invited guests from the port to the top. These lifts can be pulled at risk of attacks or intrusion. Aside from the lifts, the only way to get to the city is by air. Something that few outside of Zamorah are able to venture.

 

Present day

After decades of mining Aurumium, the entire mountain has been carved out and the Aurumium deposits in the mountain is nearly depleted.

When the aging ruler Druid Zull of Drachen lay on his death bed, his only son – and heir to the throne – suffered a terrible accident. A mining tunnel collapsed over him and his two companions during a routine inspection in the mines. When their bodies were found, they were so badly injured that they could not be properly identified. Only one survived the accident and could tell what happened.

Just before Zull of Drachen passed away he decided that the ruling of Zamorah would be handed over to The Aurum Order, as no heir was present.

Shortly thereafter, the Aurum Order decided to release the ancient secret of Zamorah. Because the Aurumium deposits were nearing depletion, the city needed find ways to support its inhabitants and seek up new markets for the remaining weapons, armor and other merchandise of the processed Aurumium, as well as dragons and dragon eggs.

The time to make themselves known was now, given that the war in the East had ended and Queen Ylspeth had just opened up for new trading opportunities in Varlyrio. So in order to increase trade, Zamorah has now finally lowered its protective dome so that it can be seen and known to all.

43660880924_482a3ef592.jpg

 

Where is Zamorah?

On these maps you can se the location of Zamorah.

43471437375_2b73b22b46.jpg

30510804138_8e4e2c62c1.jpg

 

Places in Zamorah

Streets of Zamorah

The Walls of Zamorah

The village of Wyvernstone

The Western Gate

The Miller's Gardens

A typical little farm

 

More of Zamorah

Read TBB blogg about the build:

If you want to explore the MOC, go to my Flickr page. There you will find more pics and details, like this display version of the castle

29435181697_2f9b5e4a02.jpg

 

Edited by Zilmrud

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this is so cool!!! I think one of the best microscale builds I've ever seen and the story around it rocks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, narbilu said:

this is so cool!!! I think one of the best microscale builds I've ever seen and the story around it rocks!

Ohh thanks! That's great! I think I came up with a story that can explain why nobody (expect the rich) knew about it in a convincing way. Now I have to start the HSS builds =)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nicely done man :wink: Great landscaping and nice integration with your "signature" dome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, adde51 said:

Very nicely done man :wink: Great landscaping and nice integration with your "signature" dome.

Thanks man. Yeah I got some inspiration from FullPlate's micro landscape. But I wanted to keep it green.

I can't build without it 🤣😜 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonderful story telling photos, and great unique tale! I really like how the city is on a rock arch, and the idea of how it used to be a mountain! Also, I think it's cool how the lighting in the picture with the four men blends the yellow faces and the flesh face to a similar hew. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, W Navarre said:

Wonderful story telling photos, and great unique tale! I really like how the city is on a rock arch, and the idea of how it used to be a mountain! Also, I think it's cool how the lighting in the picture with the four men blends the yellow faces and the flesh face to a similar hew. 

Thanks! The mountain is carved out bybthe mining underneath the city and now the Dragons live. A little bit like in that Terry Pratchet Book about Discworld. The river is now going trough the mountain so they have a port/dock there. I started with the mountain like it is and built the story around it.

Yeah. I took a decision that elves are flesh so you can seperate them from man even when they got helmets. They also look more pure in flesh, a bit better if you see what I mean. The lightening wasn't easy. I had like 5 hours to build and take photos of the storytelling MOCs 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Such a cool microscale, the dome looks really stylish too. My favourite part would have to be the toolbox building - i've not seen that before! The Elves stickers on the sand green shields look great as well. Zamorah sounds like a fascinating place! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A really cool micro build, I've spotted some great NPU there (for example, that bridge...) :thumbup: 

The story is even cooler, especially since you've added some sweet builds along the way (even though I'm no big fan of edited pictures, the man looking to the moiuntain range looks awesome :drool: )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gabe said:

Such a cool microscale, the dome looks really stylish too. My favourite part would have to be the toolbox building - i've not seen that before! The Elves stickers on the sand green shields look great as well. Zamorah sounds like a fascinating place! 

Thanx! I was looking for a traingle sign when I found the toolbox. It was perfect. Feels a bit like cheating cause it was so  simple when I used it 😀 

16 minutes ago, The Last of Nergoue said:

This is a phenomenal microscale moc, I personally love the trees as well as the piece usage for the bridge and the toolbox for a house!

Thanks! The green feathers was in our LUG-bulk last time. But I regret  that I didn't ordered the spikes and cattle horns as well. But I think Fullplate did:

 https://flic.kr/p/Kg3zEX

20 minutes ago, Mike S said:

That is an awesome micro build! Nicely done 👍

Thanks man!

10 minutes ago, TitusV said:

A really cool micro build, I've spotted some great NPU there (for example, that bridge...) :thumbup: 

The story is even cooler, especially since you've added some sweet builds along the way (even though I'm no big fan of edited pictures, the man looking to the moiuntain range looks awesome :drool: )

Thanks. I was planing to take the photo with the MOC outside with a view.... But I didn't have the time, so I cheated 😉 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is a pretty spectacular microbuild! I love the way you incorporated the pre-fab bushes into it by sinking them beneath the surface and using them as filler trees. I especially love the tiny windows in the castle area made with the grill tiles. I like the city better without the dome, just because then there is no glare obscuring the view, but I really like the idea of a magical dome, and I know it is your style. 

I also like the interior shot of the study, with lots of nice details cluttering it up in a convincing way.

Great work, and I cannot wait to see more builds from you as you build up your city and story!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

That is a pretty spectacular microbuild! I love the way you incorporated the pre-fab bushes into it by sinking them beneath the surface and using them as filler trees. I especially love the tiny windows in the castle area made with the grill tiles. I like the city better without the dome, just because then there is no glare obscuring the view, but I really like the idea of a magical dome, and I know it is your style. 

I also like the interior shot of the study, with lots of nice details cluttering it up in a convincing way.

Great work, and I cannot wait to see more builds from you as you build up your city and story!

Thanx! Yeah i didn't have enough spikes so the bushes was a great way to fill it up.

The dome is really hard to get a good photo of. I only use natural outside light and a mobile cam. It's difficult to see the whole build trough the glass IRL as well.

I built all the MOCs for the story and till photos of it in a few hours. So I'm glad a made it and I'm satisfied with the outcome. Next MOCs I will put a little more love into 😁   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great work.  The microbuild is awesome.  love the landscaping, rockwork, and the city looks great.  The story is wonderful too nice way to tie everything together with the vignettes.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic introduction! One of your best builds, and great use once again of the glass dome :classic: 

One of the few times there is a credible story behind a fantastic looking cliff beneath a fantasy city :wink: 

I do however like the picture without the dome better, since the dome picks up so much glare. I guess that taking the pictures outside with only an overcast sky would have worked better than under the lighting (transparent roof?) which is now reflected in the dome?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Gideon said:

Fantastic introduction! One of your best builds, and great use once again of the glass dome :classic: 

One of the few times there is a credible story behind a fantastic looking cliff beneath a fantasy city :wink: 

I do however like the picture without the dome better, since the dome picks up so much glare. I guess that taking the pictures outside with only an overcast sky would have worked better than under the lighting (transparent roof?) which is now reflected in the dome?

Thanks allt! Yeah, the dome was necesary to show the magical protection. But I also like the one without better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Epic!! Love the microscale and all the details you have in there. Like the bridge! 

 

Can´t wait til you build more mocs of this intresting place!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lovely micro build and a super unique story concept!  I really like the lift to get into the city idea. :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, de Gothia said:

Epic!! Love the microscale and all the details you have in there. Like the bridge! 

 

Can´t wait til you build more mocs of this intresting place!

Thanks! I will start with the HSS soon. But I will try challange 1 first  

52 minutes ago, Kai NRG said:

Lovely micro build and a super unique story concept!  I really like the lift to get into the city idea. :thumbup:

Thanks! Yeah it's easy to protect. But not the most efficient way to transport gods and stuff.

But the fly in and out most of the time.

Byt I liked that it has got a port. The idea was ready before i read about HSS, but it's a plus 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonderful storytelling! Great to see you going to the effort of making several small scenes, just to properly illustrate the storyline :thumbup:
Zamorah itself is hugely impressive :wub: Beautiful houses, castle towers and walls, and the rock formation... :excited:

One other thing I really like about this model is the display border. Often times its hard to make a good looking highly detailed border without distracting from the actual model. Yours works perfectly :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, soccerkid6 said:

Wonderful storytelling! Great to see you going to the effort of making several small scenes, just to properly illustrate the storyline :thumbup:
Zamorah itself is hugely impressive :wub: Beautiful houses, castle towers and walls, and the rock formation... :excited:

One other thing I really like about this model is the display border. Often times its hard to make a good looking highly detailed border without distracting from the actual model. Yours works perfectly :thumbup:

Thanks alot!

My idea was that it was good to show the vision of the city before building smaller parts of it. Then it's easier to tell the story. 

The frame/border of the build I was thinking that I can use again in other MOCs (if it fits in size) so it han be like a trademark for the city. But only the city and in Avalonia. Other MOCs is going to have another or no frame/border.

On 9/1/2018 at 5:18 AM, zoth33 said:

Great work.  The microbuild is awesome.  love the landscaping, rockwork, and the city looks great.  The story is wonderful too nice way to tie everything together with the vignettes.  

Thanks. I will try make MOCs that have smaler scenes as well to tell the story. It's one of the reasons I joined, the chance to tell a story with Lego.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.