SquirrelArmy

Trench Run MOCs to Display Minifig & Micro Scale Ships

2 hours ago, SquirrelArmy said:

I’m definitely looking for other input for greebling designs. There will be around 200 squares to fill. Some can be linked together, I’m already planning on placing tubing between them at various points too. 

They are all 6x6 with a 1 stud gap to the next one. 

Ok cool. I'll have a go.

Do you have any requirements?

E.g. Max height, no studs showing? Etc

17 minutes ago, azzer86 said:

Ok cool. I'll have a go.

Do you have any requirements?

E.g. Max height, no studs showing? Etc

I’ve got a couple of designs for large units upto 3 bricks high so that would be the maximum. Will probably want most to be around 1 stud high but with varying heights across the trench. 

Visible studs are fine. Colours to suit the death star so the full range of greys, black, possibly brown/dark tan. 

Linked squares are fine. I’ll end up playing a form of tetris once all the sections are designed. 

I’m looking forward to seeing what people come up with. 

Time for a big update. All of my outstanding bricklink deliveries arrived this weekend so I've spent a lot of time building.

1UONd1I.jpg

This is the basic structure of the trench wall. Lots of 1x2 technic blocks with pints. I think this was the cheapest and most efficient way of building a reasonably high wall which doesn't need much support. There are two towers of bricks taking most of the weight behind the wall.

82dMpoa.jpg

The extended shelf area where the trench run will live. 

J0lfXcR.jpg

Two more wall sections Incredibly repetitive process, I'm glad it's over.

pl8vM1r.jpg

Close up of the turbo laser. Fun build although the designer has used a couple of illegal techniques. I may change the way the guns sit in the turret at some point.

MDm7SGW.jpg

The finished exhaust port. I didn't use more LBG/DBG bar pieces due to the rarity and expense of some of them. The browns and white don't really stand out as being wrong.

n43fOFF.jpg

The X-Wing will be getting raised and tilted. I've ordered some trans clear supports, the round bricks don't really support it that well. 

2ZKjx1z.jpg

Some of the greebling work I've done. I've got a lot more surface area to cover, this could take a while.

fwKHvtx.jpg

5U3EUh1.jpg

I'm still on the fence when it comes to adding TIE fighters to the rear. I could definitely fit one in there, 

vkxl8JA.jpg

Amazing !
Personnally, I wouldn't add more TIEs, and just move the TIE Advanced a bit more to the left. Let those fine ships breath :)

1 hour ago, AfolFree said:

Amazing !
Personnally, I wouldn't add more TIEs, and just move the TIE Advanced a bit more to the left. Let those fine ships breath :)

The TIE from 75150 looks too small in comparison to the X-Wing. I'm either going to upgrade the TIE-A to a larger MOC or add a TIE 75211. Still have to decide which is the better option.

Its taken a little longer than planned but I built these ideas last week. Only just got round to uploading to bricksafe.

Feel free to use these ideas as you see fit. I haven't made LDD files but I can if it is easier? My phone camera + dark room hasn't some of the photos unfortunately.

First photos are two variants. A mixture of 1x2 and 1x3 slopes and different detailed greebling. I thought a couple of these in a line or mirror imaged would look cool.

800x1067.jpg

800x600.jpg

Second one is a rotating mini gun turret. Didn't quite have the right colours available at the time, but you get the idea.

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

It's been a long time since I updated this thread and I've recently made some additions to the build so here we go. Full album of the run here: https://imgur.com/gallery/ML38WsL  but here are a few selected images.

First up, the full length of the run in it's new home (and mine, I've moved house since the original build)

Eagle eyed readers will see a mini X-Wing up top but more on that later.

fjB8jWv.jpeg

The first significant change is the additional Tie Fighters taking up position behind Vaders Tie Advanced which I also slightly modded to match the movie version a bit better.

nDqLY7e.jpeg

The next major change is the inclusion of part of the Death Star Cannon set. 

RoeHbNV.jpeg

This poor gunner is a little exposed to the lack of atmosphere though.....

LcbuwZf.jpeg

Now for my latest MOC. 

This has been a digital design for quite a while but now I'm only 1 bricklink delivery away from completing the initial build. It is built in micro scale.

dzfsUgp.png

It exactly matches the 20th Anniversary Endor, Hoth and Tattooine sets. The Tantive IV is also approximately the same scale.

YzbZQsn.jpeg

The X-Wings and Falcon and my own designs, the falcon top and base turrets are connected too.

f7VOI1k.jpeg

I just need a few more parts to complete the Tie Fighters and I'll be putting the whole micro MOC together.

Wow loving this.

And thanks to this thread - you may have given me a solution to my Corellian transport project.

small hinge.jpg

Trying to find ways to do angling of plates/doming for what is frequently seen on saucer sections of these transports. :)

I'll have to experiment with this.

Also - love your collection - looks glorious - especially that SSD.

Major props.

I also see you have a Tantive IV with the light kit - is that any good? Had mixed feelings as I'll eventually get one.

Edited by Kage Goomba
adding link for context/reference.

On 12/2/2021 at 9:55 PM, Kage Goomba said:

Also - love your collection - looks glorious - especially that SSD.

Major props.

I also see you have a Tantive IV with the light kit - is that any good? Had mixed feelings as I'll eventually get one.

Thanks it's been fun building it all. I've got light kits for most of my big sets now. It certainly adds a lot to them. I still need to install the Cantina and Star Destroyer lights but I have them on everything else. 

My best advice for lighting up sets is to try and get the USB powered kits. Having to deal with batteries is a pain especially for sets on high shelves. I use a switchable hub so I can individually switch off lights for different sets. 51dIkPdNLlL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Oh everything I have is usb.....I once ran my TIE Fighter on batts - didn't last 2 weeks.

Now getting USB powered hubs (not data) that don't go up and vanish from the vendors that I like is the real kicker. :P

<tired of buying a new one and praying it won't blow up in my face :P >
thankfully LED's don't need much power.

Excellent use of the new road plates for the micro scale trench run. I'll bet you can do some good greebling with them.

3 hours ago, Feuer Zug said:

Excellent use of the new road plates for the micro scale trench run. I'll bet you can do some good greebling with them.

The release of those inspired me to create the micro scale version. I really need to get some greebling ideas for these builds.