SquirrelArmy

Trench Run MOCs to Display Minifig & Micro Scale Ships

Hey Everyone

I recently bought the new X-Wing 75218 and it was looking a little lonely sat on my shelf. I then bought the 75150 Tie Advanced & A-Wing set to keep it company which has now inspired me to build a dedicated display for the ships. The perfect setting for the X-wing & Tie is of course the Death Star Trench run but I don't really have the space to display a full diorama at minifig scale similar to this epic Trench Run

My best option was to design a snapshot of the scene based around the shelving unit I already own. The shelving system I have is Ikea's Kallax system. I've previously modified the shelving system to fit a Super Star destroyer by removing the dividers and so have a single open shelf at the top. This is where I've decided to place my new MOC

The shelf size is about 48x175 studs, unfortunately the the length doesn't fit quite standard baseplate sizes so my only choice has been to cut down one to suit the internal size. Luckily I managed to source a damaged baseplate on bricklink so I'm not destroying an intact plate.

wlEOPGb.png

I've already ordered the parts to make up the structure of the base and side walll of the trench, it's made up of 6x6 plates sat on jumper plates for the base and sat on 1/2 technic pins on the wall.  On top of each 6x6 plate I'll be adding lots of greebling and mini builds to add texture to the trench.

There's about 120 squares to fill so I'm looking for inspiration for those. I'm very open to suggestions for those.

GpA6IOC.png

The turbo laser design I found on YouTube, I'm still not sure on the final position. I think it may be too close to the exhaust port. I've tried to copy the port from A New Hope as close as I can and keep it to scale so it's roughly 2 metres. 

I'm very impressed with studio 2.0 The detail on the rendering is fantastic even on the lower resolution settings. 

7OfvZf2.png

xTAqAGW.png

aANjjhk.png

The bulk of the bricks should be arriving within a week so I'll update the progress of the build once they arrive and I start building. At this stage the layout is very flexible so open to any suggestions to improve the layout.

Edited by SquirrelArmy

The exhaust port looks great, I can’t wait to see what it looks like when you add the greebling and it all comes together!

Wow, the exhaust port is one of the best I've seen! Any chance in providing the instructions for the TIE advanced?

Also maybe add two normal TIEs to flank Vader's

On 8/31/2018 at 12:09 PM, JarJarBonks said:

Wow, the exhaust port is one of the best I've seen! Any chance in providing the instructions for the TIE advanced?

Also maybe add two normal TIEs to flank Vader's

The TIE is actually from the Rebels TIE Advanced vs A-Wing Set 75150. I may mod it in the future but it's already a great set.

@JarJarBonks The model in the images is actually from manglerat. I had both models saved on my system as TIE Advanced.

Any recommendations for the right TIE set to use? Ideally each TIE would have to be under 20 studs wide to fit.

Edited by SquirrelArmy

This looks really well thought out. Can not wait to see it evolve. Maybe avoid too much of a regular grid pattern, and add some randomness to it. Only a suggestion, and good luck. 

56 minutes ago, DWJ2018 said:

This looks really well thought out. Can not wait to see it evolve. Maybe avoid too much of a regular grid pattern, and add some randomness to it. Only a suggestion, and good luck. 

Looks incredible so far.  I agree with this though, definitely make sure to "hide" the grid structure when adding the details, yes despite the fact that the actual studio model was built using a grid system :laugh:

13 hours ago, SquirrelArmy said:

The TIE is actually from the Rebels TIE Advanced vs A-Wing Set 75150. I may mod it in the future but it's already a great set.

Any recommendations for the right TIE set to use? Ideally each TIE would have to be under 20 studs wide to fit.

Yeah, I mean the mods on the wings

75211 is around 22 studs wide. Will that work?

16 hours ago, JarJarBonks said:

Hey, @JarJarBonks, have a look at the LDD file I uploaded here and discussed on this thread back in 2016... It looks quite similar. :wink:

I didn't have the Bar 12L parts on the rear of the wings (either 42445 as in the LDD or 99784, depending on the age of the part) when I took the pics in that thread, but they're in the LDD file.

The trench looks great, so far!

Edited by manglegrat
Clarification

2 hours ago, manglegrat said:

Hey, @JarJarBonks, have a look at the LDD file I uploaded here and discussed on this thread back in 2016... It looks quite similar. :wink:

I didn't have the Bar 12L parts on the rear of the wings (either 42445 as in the LDD or 99784, depending on the age of the part) when I took the pics in that thread, but they're in the LDD file.

The trench looks great, so far!

Wow many thanks!

7 hours ago, JarJarBonks said:

Yeah, I mean the mods on the wings

75211 is around 22 studs wide. Will that work?

All I've done is take the lxf from here and add it to my MOC. It should be the standard set. 

I've been looking at the instructions of 75211, it looks like it could be possible to reduce the length of each wing arm by a stud. I've got 42 studs of space before it starts to overhang the shelf so it will be tight but certainly possible.

10 hours ago, Cjd223 said:

Looks incredible so far.  I agree with this though, definitely make sure to "hide" the grid structure when adding the details, yes despite the fact that the actual studio model was built using a grid system :laugh:

I'll be trying to hide the grid but keep it so you can tell that it was based on a grid if that makes sense. This image inspired the grid design I started with. I do currently have a full stud width between each tile. I could reduce it down to 0.5 studs between each tile by using a mix of 2x2 and 1x2 jumper plates. 

latest?cb=20130117161338

This doesn't give you the best view of the bottom of the trench, however in the first image you get a nice view of some wall elements, in particular the repeated (with slightly different greebiling) column elements that I think would make for a good portion of the wall, although you might want to cut the depth on it to not limit your space too much.  The 7th image here gives you more of the bottom from the original model they used.  I think one thing that stands out on the model is that the ground appears to be a 3x grid, whereas the walls appear to instead be vertical sections

If you choose to keep the 1 stud gap to show a grid pattern I would recommend placing a few 1x technic beams, or maybe just an off color 1x1 tile (so you don't need to add more height) to give the appearance of connections between the grid to break it up a little bit without disrupting the pattern.

You also might want to skew the X-wing so that it is at an angle instead of flat to get some more space out of it and provide a more dynamic visual, something with the 1x2 plate w/hole (see attached) should be sturdy enough to mount to the underside without modifications to the model.

small hinge.jpg

8 hours ago, JarJarBonks said:

Wow many thanks!

No worries. :classic:

3 hours ago, SquirrelArmy said:

All I've done is take the lxf from here and add it to my MOC. It should be the standard set. 

No idea how it happened, but the TIE from the 75150 file link in that thread sure doesn't look anything like the TIE in your renders. :sceptic:

Unless my eyes are completely fooling me, the TIE in your renders looks like my design - it has the much wider cockpit section, longer body and thicker wings with the click-hinge connections, and even the stud shooters are green, not red as in the 75150 file. 

Compare it to the render I uploaded to Flickr in May 2016:

27069390896_02bcdc353a_c.jpg

Having said all that, @SquirrelArmy, you're totally free to use it because that's why I shared the file! Just let's attribute it correctly. :classic:

Edited by manglegrat

11 minutes ago, manglegrat said:

No worries. :classic:

No idea how it happened, but the TIE from the 75150 file link in that thread sure doesn't look anything like the TIE in your renders. :sceptic:

Unless my eyes are completely fooling me, the TIE in your renders looks like my design - it has the much wider cockpit section, longer body and thicker wings with the click-hinge connections, and even the stud shooters are green, not red as in the 75150 file. 

Compare it to the render I uploaded to Flickr in May 2016:

27069390896_02bcdc353a_c.jpg

Having said all that, @SquirrelArmy, you're totally free to use it because that's why I shared the file! Just let's attribute it correctly. :classic:

Where's the facepalm button?

I downloaded your lxf when I was playing around with the first design of my trench run and have obviously added your TIE instead of the one from 75150 which I also downloaded, both files on my system have TIE Advanced in the name. I'll change the first post to suit.

With your modded version of the TIE, did you build it from scratch or was it based on the 75150 set?

17 minutes ago, SquirrelArmy said:

Where's the facepalm button?

I downloaded your lxf when I was playing around with the first design of my trench run and have obviously added your TIE instead of the one from 75150 which I also downloaded, both files on my system have TIE Advanced in the name. I'll change the first post to suit.

With your modded version of the TIE, did you build it from scratch or was it based on the 75150 set?

Heh. This one? :facepalm: Or maybe: :ugh:

No worries. We all have those special moments! :head_back: Thanks. :thumbup:

I designed it just before pics of 75150 got out. I was working on a family of TIEs with that style of wings and the newer cockpit pieces at the time: MODding the @CornwailleBomber from Ideas, an Interceptor and original Fighter (both based on 9492) as well as this one, which has influences from 75082 as well. 75150 is quite a bit more compact - and might actually be better proportioned to the movie version! 

Anyway - back to your trench: the exhaust port is great, but you need to add more greebles and piping on the earlier trench! :wink:

4 hours ago, Exile Phoenix said:

This doesn't give you the best view of the bottom of the trench, however in the first image you get a nice view of some wall elements, in particular the repeated (with slightly different greebiling) column elements that I think would make for a good portion of the wall, although you might want to cut the depth on it to not limit your space too much.  The 7th image here gives you more of the bottom from the original model they used.  I think one thing that stands out on the model is that the ground appears to be a 3x grid, whereas the walls appear to instead be vertical sections

If you choose to keep the 1 stud gap to show a grid pattern I would recommend placing a few 1x technic beams, or maybe just an off color 1x1 tile (so you don't need to add more height) to give the appearance of connections between the grid to break it up a little bit without disrupting the pattern.

You also might want to skew the X-wing so that it is at an angle instead of flat to get some more space out of it and provide a more dynamic visual, something with the 1x2 plate w/hole (see attached) should be sturdy enough to mount to the underside without modifications to the model.

small hinge.jpg

Great tip for skewing the X-Wing.

I've just tried it with the bricks I have to hand. I'll be using round trans clear bricks for the support in the build. The centre of gravity has definitely shifted so I'll probably add an axle to help with the vertical strength.

Bc5cCaL.jpg

R1TjTei.jpg

Edited by SquirrelArmy

Looking at the underside of the ship in LDD, you should be able to use a 1x1 plate, 1x2 slope, and 2x4 plate all in clear right in front of the 1x3 double slopes on the bottom to shift the stand one stud to provide better support for the center of gravity shift, a second identical support could go behind the 1x3 double slope to additionally anchor there (which only really helps if the center of gravity is currently at those 1x3 double slopes).

For the additional TIEs, you could also look at trying to position a single TIE about to knock Vader for right after the Falcon arrives.  Adds a little more dynamic and also potentially gives you more freedom on width

I've been playing around with the idea of adding a pair of TIE fighters behind Vaders ship.

rI8fm82.png

The standard 75211 TIE's wouldn't fit. They were far too wide, I've reduced the width of them but still not sure on the proportions. They are still too big for the shelf, I think I may have to stay with my original plan of just the two ships.

The TIE advanced in this image is the one I bought but I'm definitely preferring @manglegrat's TIE. It fits better with the scale of the X-Wing and the trench.

The next load of bricks have arrived so time for a small update. 

When you guys are building large MOC's do you wait for all the bricks to arrive or do you build what you can when you can? I'm waiting for another 6 deliveries and even though 3,500 elements arrived today I've only been able to place about 500 of them.

Anyway enough rambling it's picture time.

Those of you who visit r/lego will probably already seen this one, I didn't expect the reaction I received on there, those guys really love Star Wars Lego!

8lX1lhT.jpg

All the base tiles. If there's a shortage of black 2x2 jumper plates and 6x6 DBG plates in Europe I'm to blame!

Qk6G5fc.jpg

First row of wall section going in. Would have gone higher but the pieces I need are in the post. You can also see the shelf where the MOC will live. The SSD will probably sit on top of the shelves

OLm2y6P.jpg

Close up of the wall meeting the floor. It will be a little tight depending on the greebling used here.

B01FGsf.jpg

And finally the most tedious job has been completed, inserting 400 1/2 blue pins into 1x2 bricks. These will hold the vertical plates. 
LRp3OKg.jpg

This is very impressive so far and I look forward to seeing pictures of it complete.

Are you after 'community input' for greebling designs? I've not done much before but would like to learn. Therefore, if you are after suggestions (or ideas), I could try my hand at a couple of 6x6 squares which you could potentially add to the model?

15 minutes ago, azzer86 said:

This is very impressive so far and I look forward to seeing pictures of it complete.

Are you after 'community input' for greebling designs? I've not done much before but would like to learn. Therefore, if you are after suggestions (or ideas), I could try my hand at a couple of 6x6 squares which you could potentially add to the model?

I’m definitely looking for other input for greebling designs. There will be around 200 squares to fill. Some can be linked together, I’m already planning on placing tubing between them at various points too. 

They are all 6x6 with a 1 stud gap to the next one.