Captain Braunsfeld

[Era II - Challenge II - Cat C] Suddenly...

(this topic started here  and this was next)

800x617.jpg

A Letter To The Royal Society                                                                   Puerto  Desafio,  30.08.618

My Dearest Fellow Colleagues,

I have the most disturbing story to tell, so please make sure, you are seated and feeling well while you read this.

At the moment I am sitting in my office with the windows and the shutters closed as what I have to inform you about is apparently of such evil nature that word must not spread to the unwise – and also I feel safer this way.

Where shall I begin?

Two days ago a mercenary came to my house, seeking solace and help. His name was Ram Brandt.

640x820.jpg

Apparently he had gone on an adventure to the island of Gold, or Île d’Or as it is called in Oleon tongue.

The injuries that Ram Brandt brought back from his enterprise were not visible as they were injuries of the soul.

But I will step aside for a moment and write down the story he told me and I will try not to let my understanding of what was happening influence his report..

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ram Brandt’s report:

… shortly after we had destroyed the statue, we stumbled along through the jungle, still stuck inside the jungle,  and I was thinking something like “if I ever get out of there, all I need is a pint a day, if I ever get out of here.”

Meanwhile the stench of those strange jungle plants could no longer be ignored. I put a cloth over my mouth and nose to ease my breathing and so did the others.

And then we came to the pyramid itself.

800x473.jpg

When we came closer, we saw that the black thingy we had detected on top of the pyramid was not a box, as it was wider than it was thick.

And it was as black as night.

800x553.jpg

“What shall we do”, Swash Buckler asked us, but before anyone could answer, something terrible and frightening happened:

The black thing suddenly started to change, modifying its own structure, becoming transparent in the middle.

And now it looked like a gate – a gate to another world or another dimension. To what I cannot say.

Suddenly something was appearing as we peered through the gate – something evil, not from this world. 

800x533.jpg

Swash screamed and I think I panicked.  

Our end seemed to have come, but we would die fighting.

800x950.jpg

Clara was the one to react the fastest - and she saved our lives.

She took one of the bombs we had brought and flung it towards the gate.

Just when it reached the gate it exploded with a mighty crash.

800x951.jpg

We all were blown backwards and  fell on our backs.

When finally we got up again, one by one, half deaf, the sight at the pyramid caught us by surprise completely.

And the first one said to the second one there: “I hope you see what I see.”

800x619.jpg

The gate had entirely vanished, as if it had never been there in the first place.

Alas, we could not investigate further as the nearest trees had caught fire in the aftermath of the explosion.

So we took to our heels to get away from that evil place. Just a band of mercenaries on the run.

Behind us the jungle was going up in smoke and flames.

After what seemed like an eternity we were safe upon one of the hills – and on our way back.

We had survived but we did not dare to go back to the Oleon officials as we feared our story would be regarded as heresy – plus we’d be charged with arson.

Instead we sneaked away from that terrible island on a boat – and landed here in Puerto Desafio.

Now, you are a learned man, a doctor. What do you make of my story?

And can you help me sleep again at night, as I have terrible nightmares in which I am in front of that hellish gate again, fearing for my life and for my soul.

800x600.jpg

So, this is Ram Brandt’s report. I gave him laudanum and used some hypnosis to soothe his soul.

He is resting now in my guest room, apparently being able to sleep again.

You may ask what I take as truth from his story?

Well, I choose  to believe that those strange smelly plants in that valley were producing a gas of hallucinatic abilities, which was affecting that group of mercenaries - and possibly others too on that island.

First it made them more violent  - and they were lucky not to have directed this violence against each other – but it also made them tired and made them see things that do not exist in our world.

I suggest that an expedition is being undertaken by the Royal Society to further investigate the plants on Ile d’Or – and that they are eradicated for the sake of mankind.

And we need to make sure that there was no gate and that there is no gate.

And that it will not appear again. We must guard the place – for I have seen deep into the eyes of Ram Brandt and I cannot help to think that there is more to the story than just an outbreak of hallucinations.

We must act, I urge you.

Yours Truly

Doctor Albert da Pontelli

Edited by Captain Braunsfeld
Flickr references removed

Great storywriting, truly. Also a good finale to the expedition. A little dark, but I assume the plants created the fascination :innocent:

Very nice entry, the brick-built background is awesome, so does the pyramid and the gate, and I've also noticed that you greenies you even got golden walls!:pir-angry::pir_laugh2:

So, there it is. The final chapter, just in time for the deadline.

Did anybody find the song reference in this one?

17 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

That's excellent... Nice pyramid and nice picturing of the "gate"

Thank you

17 hours ago, Fraunces said:

Great storywriting, truly. Also a good finale to the expedition. A little dark, but I assume the plants created the fascination :innocent:

This is about "dark secrets" isn't it?

:pir-grin:

13 hours ago, Bodi said:

Very nice entry, the brick-built background is awesome, so does the pyramid and the gate, and I've also noticed that you greenies you even got golden walls!:pir-angry::pir_laugh2:

I needed that brick built background to make the gate "work".

Golden walls??

On 9/1/2018 at 4:33 PM, blackdeathgr said:

yummy story! And that smoke "poof" ...brilliant!

On 9/3/2018 at 3:23 PM, Keymonus said:

Great idea and well executed build, I particularly like the smoke cloud! @Ross Fisher, somebody else found a way to disinfest dark places from demons! :pir_tong2:

Yepp, that is how you do it :pir-laugh: