Richpepperell

Free (almost) light up sabers

S few weeks ago, I noticed an add on FB for lightup Lego lightsabers from a Hong Kong based seller which were free for a limited offer. Clicking through the link revealed you had to pay postage (about £2.70) but that you could then get up to 8 different colour sabers free of charge. I was extremely skeptical but thought it was worth a £3 point, especiallywhen paying with PayPal. 

A couple of weeks later and they've turned up (as have a few more people's from the FB group). They're powered via USB with super thin wires going into the bottom of the hilt, and brilliantly the red blade is even a gun metal grey hilt whereas all the others are LBG. Obviously none of the pieces are official Lego. 

Anyway, here they are. Obi Wan volunteered to model the various colours. 

Light up sabersLight up sabersLight up sabersLight up sabersLight up sabersLight up sabersLight up sabersLight up sabersLight up sabersLight up sabersLight up sabers

Those look great!  It's a shame that TLG has never released something like this, at least in a long time.  If only there was a way to make them light up wireless....

14 hours ago, Cjd223 said:

Those look great!  It's a shame that TLG has never released something like this, at least in a long time.  If only there was a way to make them light up wireless....

That would be very hard to fit everything into just a tiny hilt.

They do look very nice though

On a related subject, I had posted about 3mm fishing LEDs in another post here, a few weeks ago. I just got them, full details here below.

It would be *technically* doable to build a *wireless* lightsaber.

You'd have to fit a 2mm battery (they now exist) inside a handle, or let a 3mm handle "be" the battery, adding the rings around it. And then you'd need a small enough LED as well. Maybe someone will end up making them, but yeah, with these batteries it's definitely doable.

Fishing LEDs as alternative to LEGO lighting

Edited by anothergol

This so effing cool. If someone told us 10-15 years ago, we would someday see glowing LEGO lightsabers, most of us would have said "liar, liar, pants on mustafar lava fire". Science is awesome!