Erik Leppen

[LPub3D] New parts not showing up in part list images

I have a weird problem with LPub3D.

I use MLCad to create models, and LPub3D to generate instructions for them. To make the model copmlete, I needed some part that are not yet official. One example is the plate 1 x 3 with 2 studs (the double jumper plate). I downloaded these as separate .dat files and put these in the MLCad parts folder manually. Bricklink says the part's id is 34103, and indeed there is a matching 34103.dat in the folder C:\Users\Public\Documents\LDraw\parts.

If I then open LPub3D, go to Configuration -> Preferences, then the LDraw root directory is indeed set to C:\Users\Public\Documents\LDraw. Which means it should have direct access to that 34103.dat file.

However, when I create the instructions, then the part is not showing in the part list image for the step. Interestingly, the part is visible perfectly fine in the assembly images. Why does it not show up in the part list image?missing_part_in_pli.png

Also, this is not specific to this one part. I have noticed the same for other new parts. As far as I have found, these are

• plate 2 x 2 with 2 studs on edge
  • plate 2 x 2 without corner
  • tile 2 x 2 facet

all of which are parts I downloaded manually. They work fine in MLCad itself.

What's going on?

LPub(3d) has somewhat of a confusing library usage.

This because it doesn't do the final rendering itself, this is usually done by LDView.

So you have to make sure LDView has access to the same parts.

I checked the File -> LDraw Dir... in LDView and it already points to the same folder...

I added the parts folder once more to Extra Dirs, and in LPub3D I changed the scale of the bill of materials contents to force re-rendering of all parts. Still no effect.

Also, if LDView can't access the parts, it can't render them in the assembly images, right?

So, it sounded like a really good idea, but I'm afraid it doesn't solve the problem...

I would start with Roland's suggestion then also refresh the parts archive in "Tools>Refresh LDraw Unofficial Parts" If that still doesnt work add the path to the unofficial folder on the "Other" tab of the preferences pane. 

You could also try enabling LDView's part update feature so it will automatically download any missing unofficial files when you view your model in standalone LDView.

Or is it already complete when viewed in LDView?

Like Roland said, LPub3D has a confusing library usage. I'm not entirely sure how it works either. In any case, if parts don't appear in the PLI you gotta update LPub3D's own library. There's a option for that in the menu, but it never worked (very well or at all) for me. If it doesn't for you either, you can go to C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\LPub3D\data and update complete.zip and lpub3dldrawunf.zip. Both zipfiles can be downloaded from the LDraw.org website.

I should probably sticky this at some point, it's pretty much the most common LPub3D question :laugh:

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 11:07 PM, supertruper1988 said:

I would start with Roland's suggestion then also refresh the parts archive in "Tools>Refresh LDraw Unofficial Parts" If that still doesnt work add the path to the unofficial folder on the "Other" tab of the preferences pane. 

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 11:26 PM, roland said:

You could also try enabling LDView's part update feature so it will automatically download any missing unofficial files when you view your model in standalone LDView.

Or is it already complete when viewed in LDView?

In LDView, I see all the parts, including these new parts. Also, the assembly images in the instructions are fine. You can see this in the attached screenshot in my post. Two dark-red 1x3 jumper plates are added in substep 2, but there aren't any such parts in the part list image.

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 8:58 AM, legolijntje said:

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 8:58 AM, legolijntje said:

Like Roland said, LPub3D has a confusing library usage. I'm not entirely sure how it works either. In any case, if parts don't appear in the PLI you gotta update LPub3D's own library. There's a option for that in the menu, but it never worked (very well or at all) for me. If it doesn't for you either, you can go to C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\LPub3D\data and update complete.zip and lpub3dldrawunf.zip. Both zipfiles can be downloaded from the LDraw.org website.

I should probably sticky this at some point, it's pretty much the most common LPub3D question :laugh:

I assume you mean C:\Users\Gebruiker\AppData\Local\LPub3D Software\LPub3D\libraries? Because the folder you describe, doesn't exist. Also, the "update complete.zip" option in LPub3D's tools menu mentions this \libraries folder too.

The complete.zip in that folder already contains 34103.dat. But I replaced that complete.zip by a new complete.zip from ldraw.org, which is identical (as checked by WinMerge). I also replaced lpub3dldrawunf.zip by a new ldrawunf.zip from ldraw.org (which I renamed to lpub3dldrawunf.zip of course), which is smaller, even though both have the exact same timestamp in July 6, 2016.

Still, no effect.

The only option I see remaining so far is adding the missing parts as submodels in the .mpd in MLCad, and then in LPub3D selecting "Treat as part" on these submodels. Then, the assembly image is used as a part image.

Edited by Erik Leppen

1 hour ago, Erik Leppen said:

In LDView, I see all the parts, including these new parts. Also, the assembly images in the instructions are fine. You can see this in the attached screenshot in my post. Two dark-red 1x3 jumper plates are added in substep 2, but there aren't any such parts in the part list image.

Besides, if it were a rendering problem, wouldn’t there still be the quantity “x2” in the part list?

It seems LPub doesn't consider those missing parts 'parts'.

But the 1x3 tile with 2 studs is official in the 1701 library, so that one should be included no matter what.

Have you tried clearing the part list cache in Lpub?

On 9/3/2018 at 5:26 PM, Erik Leppen said:

I assume you mean C:\Users\Gebruiker\AppData\Local\LPub3D Software\LPub3D\libraries? Because the folder you describe, doesn't exist. Also, the "update complete.zip" option in LPub3D's tools menu mentions this \libraries folder too.

AppData is a hidden folder. You have to turn on hidden folders in Windows Explorer. Here's a quick guide how to do that. If that isn't the problem (another folder doesn't exist) then... I have no idea :grin: