Sign in to follow this  
LegoDW

Just saw the knocks offs are making Mars Mission sets....is nothing Sacred?

Just saw the knock offs are offering the Mars Mission set 7699 the armored drilling unit.  Not that its ok for them to rip of the creator or city lines...…… but this is SPACE!  Come on, is nothing sacred? Hope it doesn't sell well so they don't clone the rest of the line.

Feel this is partially TLG fault, if they were making current space themes, the knockoffs would be cloning those not the classic themes.  Yes another reason TLG needs to release a non themed space set immediately.  They need to protect the integrity of there classic sets...……….well it was worth a try, doubt TLG see's thing this way.

1 hour ago, LegoDW said:

They need to protect the integrity of there classic sets...

What integrity? How should that even work with an expired trademark? All you can protect is the actual set as it being a unique creation based on copyright (in the design/ arts sense). Everything else is a wide field of interpretation, 

Mylenium

2 hours ago, Mylenium said:

What integrity? How should that even work with an expired trademark? All you can protect is the actual set as it being a unique creation based on copyright (in the design/ arts sense). Everything else is a wide field of interpretation, 

Mylenium

Just trying to help the cause to get a new unlicensed space theme.  

On 8/30/2018 at 7:14 AM, LegoDW said:

Yes another reason TLG needs to release a non themed space set immediately. 

I think we can all agree to that!

On 8/30/2018 at 5:29 PM, Mylenium said:

I don't think they can protect the design of the set - at least, they have not proven that in court. Whereas they have gone after other companies using their or similar logos and packaging.

Note the fake sets on ali. They are not using LEGO's original pictures of these sets. A year or two ago, they would have been. That seems to be all that has changed here.

4 hours ago, MAB said:

I don't think they can protect the design of the set - at least, they have not proven that in court.

In the abstract sense designing a set or a MOC is just as much creating "art" as is painting, or for that matter the box artwork. Typically it just becomes secondary to these cases. Most of the time it's really just about those knock-off companies abusing the LEGO brand awareness to sell their stuff, which of course naturally boils down to what you recognize most easily - the packaging and the logo. And as always the legal stance and interpretation will depend on in which part of the world you live and other factors, so it's an endless field of interpretation, opinions and individual views. I've given mine based on my knowledge and understanding of these things...

Mylenium