Sign in to follow this  
LegoDW

GS recent purchase, did I select the wrong sets? Bug Oblit and Hive Crawler

So I have one of those questions only a true AFOL into space sets can answer (and probable is a bit subjective).  I have been into Lego for about 2 years now (had very few sets as a kid, getting into now as have children of my own).  This summer I purchased a used the star slicer (praying mantis set) and loved it, hated it, loved it again.  Really like the human vehicle (even thou small) and the bug.....well that is day to day.  Was watching some of JangBricks videos on the series and the Bug Obliterator looked exactly like what I was looking for.  A spaceship, ground vehicle, little bug, what more could you ask for.  Really.  Would have loved this as a kid.  Found a deal where this set was combined with the Hive Crawler (the queen bug that legs move).  Went ahead and pulled the trigger.

While a hope to someday get most of the sets, feeling like I maybe should have started with the Titan (big blue spaceship and tank looking thing) or the Verminator (green ground vehicle with the mech).  Both have favorable reviews from AFOL. When I watched Jang's vidoes, the Titan looked like a soft shell turtle, set all flattened out and kind of  boring.  The Verminator….really only the mech looked good and when compared the big mech set, think the big mech is superior.  

Anyway, would like to hear some other AFOL thoughts. Most likely will getting the following sets some day: Space Swarmer (little bug set), Swam Interceptor (med size blue ship), Eradicator Mech, and maybe the Verminator.  Really think I have enough big bugs so passing on the Wasp Stinger.  If I purchase the Titan, it would only be because its blue and like the mini figs this color.  

Other problem is TLG is not offering any new space sets other than Star Wars currently.  Do have some Mars Mission sets, they are good....like the consistent color theme even thou it is white and orange (wish blue was swapped for orange). Would appreciate your thoughts.

I am not a hardcore spacer, but I do enjoy some good space themes. I ended up skipping the whole Galaxy Squad series (mostly because I was into other themes at the time). I ended up picking up a few after the fact (used), but for a good price. I was pleasantly surprised at how the play features worked and how it was put together. I don't love the mix of colors. I would have liked more consistency, but I understand it was a squad. If only they would have made separate modules that would be stand alone sets in the different colors and then combine into one massive set ( a la Power Rangers/Voltron).

Anyway, I think you chose well with what you were going for. I liked the bug obliterator with the option for ground and air. And oddly enough I also have the hive crawler (the only two I have from the theme, that's funny). I never built that one. It is still in the bag from when I bought it. But I liked the launching cocoon play feature.

I just received the sets today (sealed with boxes).  The Hive Crawler box has a picture of the alien coming right out of the box.  How cool.  Can't wait to build them

You picked well; those are two of the best sets from the Theme. Bug Obliterator is a spaceship/ground vehicle combiner so you can't really beat that. The Titan is sort of the same idea but it can't take off into space when combined. 

The Hive Crawler is probably the most impressive of the theme from a design/engineering standpoint due to the walking mechanism. Plus the human speeder is way cool.

Edited by danth

9 hours ago, danth said:

The Hive Crawler is probably the most impressive of the theme from a design/engineering standpoint due to the walking mechanism. Plus the human speeder is way cool.

Yes the kids want to build that one first.  Have to wait a few weeks till they can open it up.  Think I will have more trouble waiting then them.

I'm curious if I will like the red or the orange accents best?  Right now I favor the blue best but the red also looks good.  Orange is ok, but already have a fair bit of orange space items from the Mars Mission theme.  

So I have built the Star Slicer and Hive Crawler.  Have to say the Humans are way out gunned here.  Need to add the Obliterator  to even things out.  Found a deal on the Med sized blue spaceship so going to be adding that to the fleet.  Hopefully things will be a bit more even.

Regarding the Crawler, that was a good build.  Really enjoyed it, not used to so many technic pieces.