AndroTech

Full Size Bugatti Chiron out of LEGO

1 hour ago, Tommy Styrvoky said:

It is probably possible to do, but you would need to almost have it shaped like an arch to anticipate the flex in the chassis, or use lots of stacked technic bricks, though I am not sure how well such a chassis would hold up when taking turns, as there could be too much flex side to side, leading to a failure. I think with such a project, it's better to be on the conservative side, as if this were to fail, it would be a waste of resources. Now time to have both cars race and see which performs better.

I'll be more than happy if I can build it entirely in lego even in a static model.

The race would be really interesting!

How ridiculous is that, what a waste! They should have invested as many resources into the set to make it more sophisticated and playable. That´s what we are paying the "license" for in the stores..

8 minutes ago, brunojj1 said:

How ridiculous is that, what a waste! They should have invested as many resources into the set to make it more sophisticated and playable. That´s what we are paying the "license" for in the stores..

Agree 100%.

This 1:1 model is cool, but also kind of pointless as it is nowhere near being done completely with Lego. The entire chassis, steering suspension and wheels are made of metal and other non Lego materials, which is understandable as it would be impossible to build a driveable car completely out of Lego. They are also flexing the Heck out of some of those parts. :laugh:

Quoting TBB: "The car was made from a total of 339 different types of Technic pieces, including 58 new custom elements recolored to match the vibrant blue hues of the skin of the Chiron."

I wonder if we'll be seeing any of those new recolored parts in the future...

I really don't understand all the negative comment here. So what if the chassis is made from metal... That thing looks amazing! I hope it will be displayed in LEGO house when I get the chance to visit. I say it was about time they make some technic "sculptures", because they are way cooler than those made of regular bricks. Instead of hating, It would be more suitable to appreciate this marvel IMHO.

Best regards!

Essentially, they stuck a LEGO shell and interior on a normal car chassis and powered it with LEGO motors.

Brakes from a go-cart. powered steering from an ATV (powered by a car battery). Although they never show it turning in the video, which is why I started looking into what was and wasn't LEGO.

It has a metal frame, roll-cage, real seat-belts etc.

For me, it looks cool. I like the fact that no glue was used, that is really nice. I think the main feature, other than looks, is that it was powered by PF-L motors. Didn't use LEGO batteries and did use metal chains, axles etc., but still cool and to achieve 20mph off them.

Am curious as to whether it killed off the motors.

More than anything, it is an interesting PR vehicle, which will do well on YouTube etc.

My first thought: what a waste. Indeed, as @brunojj1 already noticed, why haven't all the thousands of hours gone into staying into the core business: developing good construction kits for customers to assemble. But not only that, why spend so much molding capacity on this? They could have produced a thousand more sets with the same plastic.

My second thought: I find it hard to imagine they just created all those new recolors just for this one model. But I have been baffled by company decisions before, so I actually don't count on any of these parts seeing the day of light in a set, but I surely hope so! Trans-clear and trans-red Technic beams, I even see clear pins. And of course all that stuff in dark-azure. If all those recolors are developed just for this model, then first, why even write about that in the accompanying text, they don't do that for Legoland or Lego House models either, and second, that would be even more of a waste.

Personally, I would value it more if the base set was better.

It does clarify 42083's sky-high price point though.

I'd say it is an amazing feat of engineering and a proof that creativity still wins from the bean counters at TLC.

@Erik Leppen@Lucio Switch: I understand that it can look like a waste. But you can also look at this as a way to explore the limits of what is possible with LEGO Technic. The fact that the whole body is put together without glue is for me the biggest achievement. Of course the internal frame is steel and the whole car part is non-LEGO except for the motors.

Think about how this must have started: Somebody sat in the LEGO office, thinking, what is the craziest thing I can do with LEGO Technic to promote the Chiron. And then he/she/they came up with ' let's make a real functional lifesize version of the Chiron made out of Technic'. And all the managers said: ' yeah that sounds cool, let's do that' . It is a testament to the creativity and guts of the people behind it. As long as this spirit is kept alive great models are bound to come.

As for the actual waste: tons of bricks are thrown away each year during the design process. Recolouring is pretty cheap if you don't have to meet all the quality standards for consumers and 1500 hours is just shy of a manyear (allthough I would be amazed if they really only spend a manyear on this), which for a 10000+ company is <0.01% of their workforce. 13500 manhours is ~8 manyears, that is starting to sound more realistic, but is still <0.1% of the total workforce.

Edited by Jeroen Ottens

All these critics are strange: building a 1:1 Lego car is a better way of promoting a set than just paying for tv spots.

2 hours ago, Akbalder said:

All these critics are strange: building a 1:1 Lego car is a better way of promoting a set than just paying for tv spots.

Exactly, it's called advertising, just with a different twist. Not at all uncommon for a multi-billion dollar company to spend insane amounts of money on advertising, it's quite shocking actually. One would have to wonder how much a Red Bull or Budweiser would cost if they didn't spend astronomical amounts sponsoring race cars and whatnot or advertise at all. 

The tires on a real Bugatti Chiron cost $250,000, that’s for speed rated tires mounted on new rims. You have to send the rims to the factory to have the tires replaced, and they only can be replaced twice on a set of rims and then you have to buy new rims. Are these rims on this 1:1 model real Chiron rims and tires? That alone would set you back the $250,000 for a set new, so hopefully Bugatti had some end of life rims laying around and donated them for the cause. 

@Jeroen Ottens, the bricks that are scrapped during the design process, are they recycled locally at the factory or are they sent to a plastics recycling company and processed outside of TLG?

Also, did they care if designers kept any of their scrapped bricks and add them to their personal collection or was that considered a company policy no-no?

Two pages in less than 24 hours and not a "hot" topic?

What exactly is the criteria for "hot" topic?

Seems to me it might be a little too conservative. 

Neat.  It is like that life size Star Wars X-Wing fighter built a few years ago in New York.  The purpose is marketing, n'est-ce pas?

I think they definitely learned a few build techniques from that huge Technic Dinosaur in the Lego House:

modular, intricate greebly panels, assembled in a smooth skin-like appearance

DIBSQS1XgAALWtW.jpg

Quite impressive!

This explains the price of PF-elements... They have to earn enough to finance all the motors in this...

Fortunately they don't have to pay retail, or maybe it's excess stock, that will no longer be needed from switching over to the Power Up system. 

For anyone moaning about the price: that's the cost of advertising. And since this thing is all over the news now, it has obviously paid off. They just had to build it, all the publicity they're getting from it is 100% free.

Well working at a manufacturer of fine automobiles I can tell you that a lot of my colleagues are really impressed with how the car looks and goes.

as other people have said a purely Lego car wouldn’t work without “kraggle” and the stress that a lot of parts would be under would be too much.

let us all just appreciated these huge builds like the x-wing etc

5 hours ago, Bublehead said:

The tires on a real Bugatti Chiron cost $250,000, that’s for speed rated tires mounted on new rims. You have to send the rims to the factory to have the tires replaced, and they only can be replaced twice on a set of rims and then you have to buy new rims. Are these rims on this 1:1 model real Chiron rims and tires? That alone would set you back the $250,000 for a set new, so hopefully Bugatti had some end of life rims laying around and donated them for the cause. 

You do realise that this is a collaboration between Bugatti and Lego. Those wheel only cost $250,000 because Bugatti wants to sell them at that price, manufacturing cost will not be excessively more than any other rim. I can assure you that Lego did not pay that price for those wheels, if they paid them at all!

That being said, it's gorgeous. I hope they bring it to Legoworld in the Netherlands this October.

10 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

I'd say it is an amazing feat of engineering and a proof that creativity still wins from the bean counters at TLC.

@Erik Leppen@Lucio Switch: I understand that it can look like a waste. But you can also look at this as a way to explore the limits of what is possible with LEGO Technic. The fact that the whole body is put together without glue is for me the biggest achievement. Of course the internal frame is steel and the whole car part is non-LEGO except for the motors.

Think about how this must have started: Somebody sat in the LEGO office, thinking, what is the craziest thing I can do with LEGO Technic to promote the Chiron. And then he/she/they came up with ' let's make a real functional lifesize version of the Chiron made out of Technic'. And all the managers said: ' yeah that sounds cool, let's do that' . It is a testament to the creativity and guts of the people behind it. As long as this spirit is kept alive great models are bound to come.

As for the actual waste: tons of bricks are thrown away each year during the design process. Recolouring is pretty cheap if you don't have to meet all the quality standards for consumers and 1500 hours is just shy of a manyear (allthough I would be amazed if they really only spend a manyear on this), which for a 10000+ company is <0.01% of their workforce. 13500 manhours is ~8 manyears, that is starting to sound more realistic, but is still <0.1% of the total workforce.

I think that you might have confused me with someone other. Never said that it's a waste.:tongue:
In fact I don't hate it, I don't even dislike it, actually I like it, I just hate this Idea of a fully functional lego technic car in 1:1 scale, becouse it isn't, but it's what I read almost everywhere (automotive/nerd sites).
Yes, I didn't mentioned, but i like too that there isn't glue, I like the pattern of the skin, the overall shape and, as a sculputure, is realy cool, I even apreciate all the effort and passion, but tell me, what's happen in this Technic forum, if I do a new Lego big truck but using a metal frame as a base, what will be the commentary?

If I would be in that meeting, I would say, what if we stay on our businnes (that's not kart-car dressed with lego) and we build a static model in 1:1 scale where people can get (potentially) in and out, maybe with some "simple" functions with the same philosopy of the tachometer and the rear spoiler made out only with technic parts?

About waste, cost and whats else, I don't know the background, so it could be even commisioned by Bugatti and it could be all payed by them.

Said this, I'm not here to try to change the opinion of anyone, becouse it would be simply wrong. I'm just expressing my feeling about it.:wink:

P.S. Right now the car is at the Monza circuit for the F1 week-end and then it will be in Milan for some days.

5 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Two pages in less than 24 hours and not a "hot" topic?

What exactly is the criteria for "hot" topic?

Seems to me it might be a little too conservative. 

Yesterday, around the 11th-12th comment it was "hot".

Do we have those amazing tan 5*11 panels in any set already released?

It may be a good idea to cover the interior of some lego car with tan parts...