keri206

Fake / Phishing LEGO related Sites

Moderator warning: do not trust the links in this topic. It is valuable information but only trust http://shop.lego.com as the legit LEGO.com website.

The prices are near enough 1/2, just seems to good to be true!!

removed the link, Twas my 1st post and lesson learnt, apologies x

It popped up on my facebook page as a AFOL :)

any thoughts?

I know if it sounds to good to be true it usually is etc etc

Edited by keri206
i removed link and apologies

I noticed this website as someone else linked to the Porsche quoted on there at UK£140 - only just below the current lowest UK price (£150 at Argos) but way below what the official Lego UK store are still selling it (or trying to anyway!) for at £260.

The real giveaway that this is not what it seems is that that website is claiming to sell the Bugatti at UK£140 - even though it's only recently released and over UK£300 just about everywhere according to Pricespy.

The Shipping page - on what claims to be a UK sales website - also quotes times in EST and prices in $. And says "Your order can be shipped direct to you or a friend/relative in worldwide. Isn't that awesome?" My bold for emphasis, but I don't think this is how Lego would write this.

I am just about 100% convinced that that whole website (elaborate though it undoubtedly is) is a scam.

of course it's too good to be true.. it's all knock off, fake lego

might just email the URL to the Lego legal dept.  they are pretty good at cracking down on websites using their name!

the whole site, and domain was only registered yesterday... so it's probably a fly-by-night, attempt to spam as many social media channels as possible, to suck in those who don't know, or care the difference between genuine and copy

I'd contact Lego about this, the website is a blatant clone of the official Lego store and stuff like this should be a concern for us all. Just like fake Banking websites IMO

Strange they have so many retired sets as well and they show pictures of boxes that say LEGO but when they describe the sets they are MOGO, as has already been mentioned. Plus that amicus portfolio started selling in 2015 and ceased operations in 2016. All around weird, I did try to buy something but stopped at the information gathering stage, which seems like what they are really after. 

1 hour ago, RohanBeckett said:

the whole site, and domain was only registered yesterday... so it's probably a fly-by-night, attempt to spam as many social media channels as possible, to suck in those who don't know, or care the difference between genuine and copy

Includes registering a new account on Eurobricks? :hmpf_bad:

41 minutes ago, Seasider said:

I'd contact Lego about this, the website is a blatant clone of the official Lego store and stuff like this should be a concern for us all. Just like fake Banking websites IMO

I did so a couple of hours ago and have received a reply which said:

"Hello Jon,

Thanks for reaching out to us for such an important matter.

This is indeed not an official LEGO® site and I'd advise you against using it and sites with a similar format!

Taking the time to report it to us is much appreciated as feedback from fans like you lets us protect our customers from possible disappointments since we cannot guarantee the quality of the products and the service regarding such sites.

For any similar situations in the future, or any other LEGO related questions, don't hesitate to contact us.

..."

I assume that in time they'll be able to get the website taken down as it clearly infringes on their trademarks etc even attempts to spoof the whole Lego site to make visitors think they're dealing directly with Lego. In the short term, though, given this seems to have just sprung up today, I did think that Lego might have put a notice on Twitter, Facebbook etc alerting people to the scam, but I haven't seen anything yet. Perhaps they just don't want to draw people's attention to the scam website at all.

I do wonder if anybody tries to buy something from that website, whether they receive fake good instead (eg Lepin, though that would presumably be pretty obvious as soon as it arrived - my understanding is that they don't provide boxes for a start). Given these people have no qualms about spoofing the Lego website so completely, I strongly suspect you may not receive anything at all, and the whole "business" behind it will disappear into thin air, with all the order money.

46 minutes ago, Johnny1360 said:

but when they describe the sets they are MOGO, as has already been mentioned.

This is interesting, and I did briefly wonder if they were trying to somehow get away with selling knock-off replicas by mentioning it in the small print. But are we looking at the same pages? Every page I look at clearly refers to Lego - the Mini Cooper page even states "This beautifully crafted LEGO® brick replica of the classic MINI Cooper Mk VII ...

After opening it, my antivirus software (Avast free version) popped up with a warning on "Phising", so I guess we know the answer even more clearly already :)

Better send your money to me - you still won't be getting any LEGO sets (like with that shop), but at least your money would be in good hands.

i emailed Lego and and reply from them

I’d like to reassure you that the website you referred to isn’t affiliated with the LEGO Group in any way.

We’re aware that there are websites that mislead customers in different ways and we take this very seriously. To protect our customers and our brand, we always take the appropriate actions when we’re made aware of situations where our customers are being misled or our intellectual rights are violated.

We believe that customers should always know when they’re buying a genuine LEGO® product and when they’re buying something else – and they should never be misled while they’re making their purchase.

We know that it can be difficult to spot a fake website, but if in doubt, you can be certain that the official LEGO Shop on shop.LEGO.com is genuine.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write to us about this, Keri. We are very lucky to have amazing fans like yourself that take such good care of our brand!

We want to make sure we're doing a good job for you, 

The page tried to give me a virus! Luckily it was blocked.

I hope this helps anyone without virus protection.

It's not really a Virus more like Malware, it's a redirect much like the one I had problems with earlier this year here on EB. Just phishing for personal information. 

1 hour ago, Goldenmasamune said:

I feel it looks suspicious when a new user comes along and the first thing they do is post a link to a scam site. 

Been around awhile just never posts. 

Edited by Johnny1360

13 minutes ago, Seasider said:

I reported another one to TLG today ... http://funtoysuk.com/

another blatant copy of the Lego site offering half price stuff and even a login page!

It's a copy of the site that the OP mentioned. It's up under a different name is all.

I’ve reported it and had a response from TLG. I think if we find these sites and report them we can hopefully help TLG. They may never fully win the war but at least a few battles

Edited by Seasider

If you have some good braines than you now that you don't have to order Lego at this sort of site's .

I'think for the TLG it's a little bit difficult to follow up this kind of thieves .

Those people changes their site every day if they want .

On 9/9/2018 at 2:13 PM, TeamThrifty said:

report it to TLG also, see the reply @keri206 received from them above in this thread...

I have reported it, and they have acknowledged.

All of these websites have been reported to TLG. They are very busy closing down sites like these.