Piranha

Your First Pirate Set!

I got Forbidden Island (6270) in late August/Early September 1989, just before starting the 6th grade. A few weeks later my parents got me Eldorado Fortress. I got the BSB and the Caribbean Clipper for Christmas.

I never would have guessed that 20 years later I would be buying new Pirate Sets.

Thank You Lego!

I believe it was a Skulls Eye Schooner bought off eBay in 2004 or 2005. Pretty quickly after that I picked up more ships and soldiers.

Oddly enough, I have no forts or land based playsets. I would LOVE an Imperial Trading post.

I got hold of the very first Lego catalog promoting the brand new pirates series in the beginning of 1989. I immediately loved the series, and desperately wanted to get my hands on some pirate sets. Therefore I worked hard (child labor, I was only eight at the time) for a long time to earn enough money to get some pirate sets by the time they were launched (if my memory serves me right the pirate series was launched somewhere around the summer of 1989). When I finally could go to the toy store to get my first pirates i got the following sets:

6276 - Eldorado Fortress

6274 - Caribbean Clipper

6270 - Forbidden Island

6255 - Pirate Comic

6251 - Pirate Mini Figures

6235 - Buried Treasure

Unfortunately I did not get the Black Seas Barracuda in 1989 - probably lacked the money - or at any time later due to my dark ages. :pir-hmpf_bad: But I intend to get hold of this magnificent pirate ship as soon as possible!

Griffin

I bought my first ever Pirate set today! The Cannon Battle #6239

I always wanted some Pirates when I was a kid, but I always got town + space (which I loved!), but that didn't stop me wanting those unique faces that Lego brought out with the original pirates!

So after 20 years, I finally own a Pirate set!

Have just realised that the post above me is from someone who had all those sets I wanted from that Lego catalogue!

I remember child labour in the 80's as well! they were tough times!

Edited by mikey

First Pirate set I ever encountered was a totally disassembled 6274 Caribbean Clipper. I remember liking the bluecoat fig designs very much.

My first Pirate set I ever owned was an 80% complete Eldorado Fortress my mom got me at a yard sale. For years, I only had 4 bluecoats and 1 or 2 redcoats and no ship parts -- I built some pretty impressive ships out of 2x4 bricks.

It wasn't until my Lego renaissance that I started my collection - I gave away my giant Lego bin and all my previous sets to my younger brother and built up a new collection that was almost all Pirates.

My first and only Pirates set was the 6289 Red Beard Runner.

6289-1.1167845157.thumb2.jpg

It was given to me as a gift when I was young, but I have never bought any other Pirates sets. I only collect Star Wars now. :pir_yoda:

I'm now looking to sell it, if anyone's interested. :pir-wink::pir-grin:

My first Pirates set was Kraken Attackin', which sadly isn't one of my most favorite sets. It does include a pretty slick raft, though...

my first pirate set was 6232. That was my only pirate set until I came out of my dark ages. Now I own several of the sets but still eyeing for BSB and SES. Also would like to get my hands on the raft raiders and sabre island. Not sure why, but those two sets fascinate me.

My first Pirate sets was 6260 Shipwreck Island:

6260-1.1139541032.jpg

I don't remember how old I was (pretty young), but I remember obsessing over it for months after I saw it in the Lego catalog!! Exciting day when I was finally able to buy (end of school-year present). Still my favorite pirate set.

Edited by domboy

I got the Black Seas Barracuda. It was my first and last classic pirates set. :pir-hmpf_bad: My mistake. I never knew how valuable it was at the time. :pir_laugh2: I got it for real cheap too, $100. :pir-devil: ~LW 8~

Mine was this set:

1411-1.jpg

I got this from a Quaker Oats breakfast cereal promotion in 2002 :pir-classic:

That is the exact same way I got my first set. I always was a fan of legos and saw the cereal promotion and got my mom to order it for me. I was 7. Then I got interested in pirates and got Redbeard's Runner, then the BSB when it came back out and Enchanted Island. The rest is history. I don't own a single classic Bluecoat or Redcoat so it was great when Pirates II came out.

No clue which one came first, but I have only the following 4 classic pirates sets:

6245 Harbor Sentry, 6251 Pirate Mini Figures, 6270 Forbidden Island, 6276 Eldorado Fortress

..., which gets you 10 Bluecoats (yay!) and 3 Redbeards (one would definitely be yay, but three in four sets..., luckily a bit or rearranging of different body parts can get you a good selection of pirates).

Cant remember how old i was (was when i was young tho, probly 7 or 8) when i got them but i got 6270 Fobidden Island for my Bday in June and then for christmas i got 6286 Renegade Runner the same year.

My first set was Caribbean Clipper (6274).

The first set I purachsed enmass and really enjoyed had to be the bounty boat though- extra weapons, soldiers, and red row boats on the cheap-- the first real army builder set I eyed.

I remember being a kid and going into the giant toys r us store in Minneapolis MN, becasue my Grandma lives there and I ended up getting a few little sets but I got Black Seas Barracuda for Christmas.

No need for images, there are already so many in this thread. :pir-classic:

Anyway, here's mine:

6235-1.jpg

This was my first set as well. When I was little I remember watching a Lego ad on tv that featured the BSB. After seeing it, I asked my mom for the lego set with 'the treasure chest in it.' When she said sure, I was overjoyed thinking I would be getting the BSB. Instead I got Buried Treasure.

I still have it though, it's a nice set, although I've managed to broaden my pirates collection over the years.

I have a few blue coats and thats all i know of so i would have to say technically the new pirate ship

My first Pirate set was this year!

3866094263_ef9fa01f19.jpg

It was followed several minutes later by the rest of the present (2009) line up. I missed Pirates during my dark ages, and passed (with much regret) on the Legend addtion of Barracuda....It won't happen again!