Piranha

Your First Pirate Set!

38 minutes ago, Pdaitabird said:

My first pirate set was 6254 Rocky Reef. For a small set, it had some great play features! My first (and only) ship was 6291, the Armada Flagship re-release.

I don't know if you arr like me or not, but the Armada Flagship always holds a special place in my heart :pir-wub:

My first pirate set was https://brickset.com/sets/1411-1/Pirates-Treasure-Hunt.  It's not actually from Pirates; instead it's a little promotional polybag that my brother and I each redeemed from Quaker Oats after eating so much sugary oatmeal over so many days that we were quite sick of oatmeal by the end.  It's got a film director, a cameraman, a skeleton, a pirate captain, a treasure chest with coins, and some digging tools.  Quite a small set, but it inspired us to construct a long series of pirate ships out of 1x2, 2x2, and 2x4 bricks so that our pirate captains would have something to sail.

My first real Pirates set was the Black Seas Barracuda, but I bought it used and incomplete a few years ago as an adult and have been slowly sourcing the missing parts ever since.

- - - Actually, no.  The first Pirates set I ever had was https://brickset.com/sets/1802-1/Tidy-Treasure, a tiny little polybag with a pirate minifigure and some rocks.  But that was when I was young enough that I was scarcely aware I had the set before its parts were scattered to the winds, so it doesn't count.

I didn't have many pirates sets as a child and certainly no big Lego sets (biggest was Forestmen's river fortress, my favorite back then).  Based on the set release dates on BrickLink, my first pirate sets were likely these that came out in 1989:

6257 Castaway's raft

6260 Shipwreck island  (I think I have still have the baseplate)

My first two sets - Eldorado Fortress and Caribbean Clipper restored to their former glory (along with a set I didn't have as a kid, Sabre Island)!

20200412_093658

Edited by PxChris

3 hours ago, PxChris said:

My first two sets - Eldorado Fortress and Caribbean Clipper restored to their former glory (along with a set I didn't have as a kid, Sabre Island)!

1623452153_20200412_093658(1).jpg.af84a51a45840b3ef0feccc6f510b7bf.jpg

Wow, I came here to answer this question, and there's my first two pirate sets right there. The Caribbean Clipper and Sabre Island. They were also my first LEGO sets of any theme. 

Unfortunately, I was less than 10 years old when I had these sets and they were well and truly played with, and are missing a LOT of pieces, and the pieces I do have, aren't in the best shape. I dug out my childhood tub of LEGO a couple of weeks ago and tried to find the remaining pieces of my Caribbean Clipper. I'm missing 84 pieces (including the sails and the flag clips are broken). I'm planning on restoring it to its former glory though. 

Edited by Totoro

My first pirates set (an my first Lego set, buy the way) was the 6259 Broadside's Brig.

14.jpg

I have a lot of fun with this set!

Mine was the Kraken Attack 6240. I didnt have any pirates when i was a child, only legoland houses, cars,etc

6 hours ago, Plate said:

Mine was the Kraken Attack 6240. I didnt have any pirates when i was a child, only legoland houses, cars,etc

Oh dang, this was my first (and only) pirates set as a kid! I don't have it built anymore, although I did use that year of pirates to inspire my first ship when I cobbled it together from scratch.

On 5/2/2020 at 9:56 PM, shadefoundry said:

Oh dang, this was my first (and only) pirates set as a kid! I don't have it built anymore, although I did use that year of pirates to inspire my first ship when I cobbled it together from scratch.

Nice!!

When i was child i only had legoland city sets (some technic and space too). I had (and i have almost all bricks) a little city with  the mythical monorail. My return of the dark ages was with modulars (Green Grocer). I owned the Kraken attack some years ago,  (while collecting modulars) and keeped it appart without letting it mix with the rest of the sets, like a little treasure.  What I like most about this set are the minifigures.

When i saw the BSB it was like , oh, i´m on modulars but , i love this!! This has been my start with pirates, the BSB has inspired me to make MOCs.

Now every day I like pirates theme more!!

Edited by Plate

Well, this might be a bit embarrassing, but my first pirate set was 41191 Captain's Cabin, although all my childhood I always wanted the Soldiers' Fort that came out with the 2009 pirates theme.

3 hours ago, Jack Sassy said:

Well, this might be a bit embarrassing, but my first pirate set was 41191 Captain's Cabin, although all my childhood I always wanted the Soldiers' Fort that came out with the 2009 pirates theme.

Not embarrassing at all! That's a great set with some really nice pieces! No pirates set is bad, no matter the price or size! :pir-huzzah2:

think my first Pirates set (if it counts) was the Brickmaster Pirates book. I only actually picked up one proper set from the latest Pirates run, the Soldiers' Fort (fond memories of saving up all my pocket money until I could afford it!)

I did manage to pick up a copy of the old Forbidden Island set (minus one very easily-replaced brick) at a Lego show a few years back. Unfortunately the era of Lego Pirates predates the era of me being able to afford Lego

Pretty sure my brother and I got these two for Christmas 1992 as kids:

6271-1.jpg

6277-1.jpg

My older sister had the bluecoat sets before that

I remember my first set rather well. Saint Nicholas brought me the Pirate Island in 1989 and my younger brother got the Carribean Clipper. So many good memories.

6270-1.png

6274-1.png

Instant classics. I'm now in the process of restoring the sails of the Caribean Clipper and my Skull Eye Schooner and meanwhile some bug got into my brains telling me it wants all the sets from the initial release. Not sure if my wife is going to like that, my kids on the other hand lol

6 hours ago, GewoonWouter said:

meanwhile some bug got into my brains telling me it wants all the sets from the initial release. Not sure if my wife is going to like that, my kids on the other hand lol 

While I love those early sets and have fond memories from my childhood, I think they look quite basic and not detailed enough today (especially after the Barracuda Bay set raised the bar so high). I really hope we will see updated versions of those gems from the past sooner or later.

8 hours ago, GewoonWouter said:

Instant classics. I'm now in the process of restoring the sails of the Caribean Clipper and my Skull Eye Schooner and meanwhile some bug got into my brains telling me it wants all the sets from the initial release. Not sure if my wife is going to like that, my kids on the other hand lol

That's a good bug to catch!! I also caught the same bug and over the last year and a half was able to complete the entirety of the initial "Bluecoat era" (1989-91) waves of sets. So much joy and nostalgia there!

1 hour ago, zinnn said:

While I love those early sets and have fond memories from my childhood, I think they look quite basic and not detailed enough today (especially after the Barracuda Bay set raised the bar so high). I really hope we will see updated versions of those gems from the past sooner or later.

While they certainly are less detailed than sets from today I still strongly feel that on the whole the early Pirates sets are some of the best that LEGO has ever made! I get no end of joy from them.

Growing up I had a dad that would buy me anything I wanted and a mom who always said no to toys, grew up with split parents btw, thing is I was scared because of my mom to ask my dad so the only lego pirate toys I got were the $3.99 sets, the very first one I remember ever getting was the 

1481 Pirates Desert Island,

https://brickset.com/sets/1481-1/Pirates-Desert-Island

I will never forget those beautiful treasured gold coins, ever since then I always wanted more coins for my sets hahaha.  Even then I only had sets like that shripwrecked pirate, cheap sets, from 3.99 to 19.99 on average, the most expensive set I had at the time was the black seas barracuda which my dad purchased me for Christmas ‘94 from what I remember.  

Edited by eldiano