Piranha

Your First Pirate Set!

10 hours ago, emporio said:

yeah, it was my birthday present,i played so much with this when i was a kid and i still have it 30 years later

Ah, lucky bastard :laugh:

Still have the old sets as well, not complete at this point (some missing, some broken, like palm leaves), but the figures are still there, and most animals like sharks, parrots, monkeys and crocodile.

But I keep them seperate from my modern LEGO.

Edited by TeriXeri

Unfortunately, I have never owned any Pirates sets. But if they return, I'd love to get some and have pirates take over Brandonsburg for a day! 

2 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

But I keep them seperate from my modern LEGO.

Doing the same. Mostly because of old color palettes, but also to keep the pieces together.

6239 Cannon Battle back in 2009!

I remember crying in the Lego store as a kid begging for my mom to buy me 6243 Brickbeard's Bounty...this was a worthy victory at the time :laugh:

6239-1.jpg?200811080101

The first Pirate set I got was probably one of the cheap ones from around 1989/1990, but I don't remember which. The first set I have a definite memory getting though was Caribbean Clipper, which actually felt like a disappointment at the time because my best friend got Black Seas Barracuda that same Christmas :oh: (I was also jealous that he had Eldorado Fortress... though to be fair I had large Castle sets he didn't)

1 hour ago, Paradosis said:

The first Pirate set I got was probably one of the cheap ones from around 1989/1990, but I don't remember which. The first set I have a definite memory getting though was Caribbean Clipper, which actually felt like a disappointment at the time because my best friend got Black Seas Barracuda that same Christmas :oh: (I was also jealous that he had Eldorado Fortress... though to be fair I had large Castle sets he didn't)

I think the Clipper was a nice banking all the same. She's a fine ship.

Also from my experience not having the biggest set just imprints eternal commitment and since it's Pirates, that is a good thing. :pir-grin: Thinks about this way: I only have the Schooner, the Runner and the Imperial Flagship at the moment. You don't know how much I crave for a Clipper to finally be in my ever loving hands!

39 minutes ago, Medzomorak said:

I think the Clipper was a nice banking all the same. She's a fine ship.

Also from my experience not having the biggest set just imprints eternal commitment and since it's Pirates, that is a good thing. :pir-grin: Thinks about this way: I only have the Schooner, the Runner and the Imperial Flagship at the moment. You don't know how much I crave for a Clipper to finally be in my ever loving hands!

Yeah, I can appreciate her in hindsight. And even then, I think the let down wore off, cause 30 years later I still have memories of building it and even just looking at the packaging, so I must have enjoyed myself :classic:  I also think there's something to what you're saying about missing out back then having a lasting impact. I've bought many of the sets on eBay that I missed out on as a youth, but I still haven't gotten some like Imperial Trading Post, and I really look forward to the day when I either buy it or just break down and figure out what parts I need to add to my collection to make it.

Cant remember exactly what set i got first. Think it was the Shipwreck Island or Sabre Island.. Its 30 year since... Should have ask my parents to take a picture of me playing with the sets back then.

On 3/24/2020 at 3:13 AM, Paradosis said:

Yeah, I can appreciate her in hindsight. And even then, I think the let down wore off, cause 30 years later I still have memories of building it and even just looking at the packaging, so I must have enjoyed myself :classic:  I also think there's something to what you're saying about missing out back then having a lasting impact. I've bought many of the sets on eBay that I missed out on as a youth, but I still haven't gotten some like Imperial Trading Post, and I really look forward to the day when I either buy it or just break down and figure out what parts I need to add to my collection to make it.

I have a trading post in box :) Love it :) 

On 3/24/2020 at 12:49 AM, Paradosis said:

Its funny. I also got the clipper at christmas :)  Some of my friends got the 6285. They where twins so had to share. But they had every set in the pirate-seris. Their mom worked for Lego at that time :) 

My first pirates sets were #6276 and #6274 - I don't honestly recall which I received first, or if I got them both around the same time. But it was in late 1989 for sure. I never did manage to get #6285 but I did have a few of the other small sets from the 89-91 range.

For me it was also either 6245 Harbor Sentry or 6265 Sabre Island, and loved them a lot, while my brother got forbidden island among other pirate sets. Later on I got 6259 Broadsides Brig, but kept dreaming of Eldorado...  :pir-cry_happy: My Cousin got the Caribbean Clipper, which also made me quite jealous, until I got 6271 Imperial Flagship for my birthday, still remember that very well. But that was my last lego pirates set, since my lego kid years were about over. Fortunately still have them all. :pir-classic:

i still have not got a full set but i have bought TONS of redcoats off of ebay. i have made my own ship though and will be posting a picture soon

Edited by lego eggo

i still have not got a full set but i have bought TONS of redcoats off of ebay. i have, however, made a lego ship called the HMS brick-built. i have also posted a topic on the HMS brick-built.

On 3/29/2020 at 5:45 PM, victorycount said:

For me it was also either 6245 Harbor Sentry or 6265 Sabre Island, and loved them a lot, while my brother got forbidden island among other pirate sets. Later on I got 6259 Broadsides Brig, but kept dreaming of Eldorado...  :pir-cry_happy: My Cousin got the Caribbean Clipper, which also made me quite jealous, until I got 6271 Imperial Flagship for my birthday, still remember that very well. But that was my last lego pirates set, since my lego kid years were about over. Fortunately still have them all. :pir-classic:

That's bank bank bank! :pir-laugh: Do you plan to expand them now? 

5 hours ago, lego eggo said:

i still have not got a full set but i have bought TONS of redcoats off of ebay. i have, however, made a lego ship called the HMS brick-built. i have also posted a topic on the HMS brick-built.

Interesting, I was also thinking about getting them on ebay. What is the usual price/fig there for a classic, fully geared redcoat, bluecoat?

1 hour ago, Medzomorak said:

That's bank bank bank! :pir-laugh: Do you plan to expand them now?

Yeah, obviously tomorrow :pir-grin:
No, might be, but still not 100% sure, same happend at the last wave where I was thinking of buying something. At the end I just bought the 10679 Juniors Pirate Treasure Hunt before nothing was left at a sale, haha.

But this time might be, would be my biggest set ever and also the first time I lay hands on a pirateship, so my soldiers would have something to fight again. Although I captured my brothers pirates and keep them until he gets interested in them again. :pir-murder:

My first pirate lego set was also my first lego set.

6258 smuggler's shanty.

Great little set.

6258-1.png

I loved the idea of that set! I didn't finally get it until maybe nine or eight years ago; it was one of the few small sets I didn't have as a kid.

11 hours ago, Weil said:

My first pirate lego set was also my first lego set.

6258 smuggler's shanty.

Great little set.

I bought this set on impulse while shopping on bricklink for Lagoon Lock-up. It has to be one of my favorite sets! So small but yet so cool

My first Pirates purchases were from the 2009 wave: 6239 Cannon Battle, 6240 Kraken Attackin', and the 8396 and 8397 impulse sets. I then made the fig in my avatar from the parts in those sets :pir-blush:

My wallet is larger than it was during my teenage years so I've been able to expand my horizons, and Barracuda Bay is definitely next on my list.

Mine was either the Shipwreck 6296 or Eldorado 6276.

Still own them both, but scattered across multiple boxes with parts.

I did find some pieces related to them the past days, as i been getting the Skulls Eye Schooner together, which i got back in the 90s when we were on a holiday elsewhere in the country with the entire family.

6286 Skull’s Eye Schooner. Was only 8 when I got it but I absolutely loved that set. Wish I still had it.

My first pirate set was 7075 Captain Redbeard's Pirate Ship

7075-1.png

looking back, it's pretty bad, but at the time i loved this thing. I will say, it's pretty cool it can float in water, but yeah, not the best set.

I also had 6253  Shipwreck Hideout

6253-1.png

I still like it. :)

My first pirate set was 6254 Rocky Reef. For a small set, it had some great play features! My first (and only) ship was 6291, the Armada Flagship re-release.