Piranha

Your First Pirate Set!

Mine was the Black Seas Barracuda oh so many years ago. It was my first and only Pirate set. Now I'm considering getting back into this theme. 

Can't remember the name but it was the golden age of those 4.99 lego sets with the pirate and the treasure, that's all they could buy me until christmas of 94 they got me the Black seas barracuda.  haven't kept up with pirates until the line last year, I practically have two of each set but the ship itself.

On 03/10/2016 at 5:38 AM, eldiano said:

Can't remember the name but it was the golden age of those 4.99 lego sets with the pirate and the treasure, that's all they could buy me until christmas of 94 they got me the Black seas barracuda.  haven't kept up with pirates until the line last year, I practically have two of each set but the ship itself.

It's likely to be 6235 Buried Treasure?

9 hours ago, eldiano said:

Yes that one!!! Sets were simpler and cheaper back then!

Lego always did great ranges of small, medium and big sets so you could build collections up. I loved the small sets as a kid as I could get one a week with my pocket money.

On 2/3/2010 at 7:52 AM, Mac-K said:

Here's the beaut that hooked me on Pirates forever, 6235 Buried Treasure :pir-wub::

6235-1.1121480510.jpg

I know this set is tiny, but there's just so much goodness going on. For a little kid who loved pirate related things (I had actually just read Treasure Island at about this time :pir-blush:), this set was so great. Just the lone pirate and his monkey pal tending after their treasure hoard. And eight gold coins?

Same set and pretty much the same reason for me!

Something about it just sparked my imagination...  so simple, yet so so perfect because the set still has enough components to construct a multitude of a backstories as to how Bo'Sun Will came to be on that desert island with the treasure.  Was he digging up it or?  Or was he burying it?

latest?cb=20091008085635

My first ever Pirates set was this innocent, very well barrel-equipped 6261 Raft Raiders! I put emphasis on the barrels, because surely back then must have started my barrels obsession, nowadays whenever I do a bricklink order, I always check out the store if they have any and make sure to add some to my order :pir-cry_happy:

My first sets were Buried treasure, Harbor sentry, and the figure pack (6251).

Back in the days I think I liked the Harbor sentry the most, since it was the cheapest way to get a cannon. 

My older brother only had a small impulse set left to me used, the 6237 Pirates Plunder.

Képtalálat a következőre: „lego 6237-1: Pirates Plunder 6237”

Ohh man, these two had so many adventures with only regular colored bricks I had back in the days. As a '95 kid I was devastated to see Star Wars and Bionicles on the shelves instead of these so I held the figures - 2 years older than myself - in the highest regards.

I still have these guys now serving aboard the Schooner and the Flagship.

s1yknH9.png

Anyway, he also had all the catalogs from 89 to 96 so that's how I knew about old sets back in the day. My favorite were the indigo islanders, I still think their vibes is one of the best Lego has ever released. I remember looking at the crumpled pages for hours being mesmerized how cool old Lego was.

HJCua8v.png

The first thing I had done after my parents got us internet access in 2004 is to check local hungarian Lego forums to buy them used. Had to keep looking while getting enough pocket money. The hungarian market is quite good for used pirates sets considering that a lot of grown-ups now always sell them and fanatics as my humble myself can take them for pretty good bargains. Still, I had to wait for more than a year (for some reason I did not consider buying from other countries, I was a bit afraid of scams). 

By 2006 Christmas I've managed to buy the two largest Islander sets toghether in pretty good shape only for 15000 Forints which was the equivalent of 75 USD. Don't think ever going to find such a great deal again.

s-l640.jpg6264-1_used_000.JPG

My favorite thing to do with them was to combine the sets into a whole lagoon, creating that evil master plan for years before managing to buy them. Still got some old low-res photos:

nBkduJe.jpg?1

dpJVUl0.jpg

Edited by Medzomorak

My first pirate sets were all bought together by my aunt, for me and my brother.

6235 Buried Treasure
6245 Harbor Sentry
6257 Castaway's Raft
6260 Shipwreck Island
6265 Sabre Island

One year later, I bought myself 6234 Renegade's Raft, because the shark from 6257 was stolen by one of my classmates.

That was all the pirate sets that I ever got... and I was left flipping through catalogs, dreaming of having all the ships and forts one day. But that's about to change! :pir-sweet: 

6245 and 6265 were my favorites back then. I think because of the rotating shooting cannons. 

6245 Harbor sentry -.jpg

6265 Sabre.jpg

Edited by Brickander Brickumnus

First sets : 

2x Sabre Island, 1x Castaway's Raft, 1x Buried Treasure (1989 sets)

Then some smaller sets like , 2x Renegade's Raft (1991) & 1x Pirate Lookout (1992)

Overall by far the biggest set being the 1994 Enchanted Island 

Last Pirate set being Skeleton Crew 1996.

I came back to LEGO in 2016, but didn't get any of the 2015 Pirate sets, but certainly interested now if they come back again.

Edited by TeriXeri

I'm not sure which set was my first Pirates set - but the one I remember the most vividly getting was 6257 LegoCastaway's Raft:

6257-1.png

The set I had the absolutely most fun/playtime with as a kid though was, without a doubt, 6267 LegoLagoon Lock-Up:

6267-1.png

My first set was, I think, the (6286) Skull's Eye Schooner for Christmas. I was a lucky kid but a bit young for the difficulty. My mother and cousin had to build it for me.

Years later I partially re-built it to correct errors that my mother and cousin made. It's one of the set that I never had the heart to scrap for making something else with it.

37 minutes ago, CaptainMoore said:

My first set was, I think, the (6286) Skull's Eye Schooner for Christmas. I was a lucky kid but a bit young for the difficulty. My mother and cousin had to build it for me.

Years later I partially re-built it to correct errors that my mother and cousin made. It's one of the set that I never had the heart to scrap for making something else with it.

ZET5CNl.png

The alternative sloop is actually a very fine build as well, but I agree. I myself consider the Schooner the best Lego set ever released. I have a single set at the moment and don't plan to ever disassemble it, not taking the risk to lose any part.

One lucky kid you was indeed :hmpf_bad:

Edited by Medzomorak

2 minutes ago, Medzomorak said:

The alternative sloop is actually a very fine build as well, but I agree. I myself consider the Schooner the best Lego set ever released. I have a single set at the moment and don't plan to ever disassemble it, not taking the risk to lose any part.

One lucky kid you was indeed :hmpf_bad:

Oh I didn't remember the alternative builds! It looks like a chinese junk. I checked on google but I haven't seen someone trying to build it

I never had a large pirate ship set so the upcoming 3-in-1 version might be the first, but I always like when sets had/have (suggested) alternate builds that are completely different things, nowadays we get instructions but back then it was meant as inspiration/imagination.

Also looking forward to what can be made from the upcoming IDEAS set which uses ship parts in it's original submission.

And then combine the parts with the 2018 "Pirates" 3-in-1 sets, Roller Coaster and Tree House Treasures.

The Pirate Roller Coaster building certainly seems to have been based on Lagoon Lock-Up with the palmtree and red/blue awning left of the gate.

31084-1.jpg?2018052208286267-1.jpg

Edited by TeriXeri

6239 Cannon Battle was my first and last pirate set as a kid. I never got the money/chance to get anything further (I wanted the Ship and the Fortress). But since then I loved this theme and am following the development. 

6239-1.jpg?200811080101

6235 is my first pirate set as an AFOL because I wanted to experience how the feeling is of holding a Classic Pirate Minifig. But there was no feeling at all. :shrug_confused:

6235-1.1121480510.jpg

On 2/6/2020 at 6:55 PM, Robin_IV said:

6235 is my first pirate set as an AFOL because I wanted to experience how the feeling is of holding a Classic Pirate Minifig. But there was no feeling at all. :shrug_confused:

Haha, I feel you. Maybe you did not get imprinted with the oldschool vibe enough. It has to happen in your youth to be very fundamental. For me for example playing Lego Racers in the early 2000s with the old catalogs was the basis for everything.

Képtalálatok a következőre: lego racers pirateKéptalálatok a következőre: lego racers pirate

Képtalálatok a következőre: lego racers ufoKéptalálatok a következőre: lego racer menu

This game just made me having bloodlust for any 90s set so getting an oldschool Lego pirate ship with oldschool figures was an old dream coming true.

But still it was not the same I'd have felt right at that moment as a kid.

Edited by Medzomorak

6 hours ago, emporio said:

my first one was eldorado fortress, if i remember correct, and still my favorite set of all time

lego-6276-1_xlarge.jpg

Wow, did you get it as a kid? Because that's bank.

1 hour ago, Medzomorak said:

Wow, did you get it as a kid? Because that's bank.

yeah, it was my birthday present,i played so much with this when i was a kid and i still have it 30 years later