Momotof

Lord of the Rings Ongoing Discussion

4 hours ago, Trunkbass said:

For now only Weta Digital (special effects) has confirmed their involvement. I hope Weta Workshop (designs, costumes, props) will follow suit. 

On another note, if we would get LEGO sets of the Amazon LOTR TROP show, wouldn’t we have leaks by now? I assume they’d want to release them close to the 2nd of September when the show airs. 

Lego got better at hiding their leaks, we had no idea about Hidden Side or Super Mario until they got revealed by Lego, I say don't give up hope..not yet. 

Is this an appropriate place to hypothesize/speculate on the sets they might make from the Rings of Power? Certainly the poster art is not much to go off of, but isn’t that half the fun?

30 minutes ago, josebricks said:

Is this an appropriate place to hypothesize/speculate on the sets they might make from the Rings of Power? Certainly the poster art is not much to go off of, but isn’t that half the fun?

Go ahead, it's not like another thread is needed. And it was about the show from the beginning. 

9 minutes ago, Mr No said:

Go ahead, it's not like another thread is needed. And it was about the show from the beginning. 

Thanks!

First wave sets possible:

Scene: Eregion Forge— Celebrimbor, “pretty” Sauron, random elf as figures, build setup similar to the Mandalorian forge set if a small set, otherwise a larger blacksmith-size set with elven architecture

Scene/structure: Dwarven-themed doors to Moria, perhaps with a small market outside, treasure room inside

Buildable figure: troll or ice-troll, facing off against an elven and human solider. This with the presumption that the “baddies” will be a little more off in the distance and monstrous compared to LotR. Perhaps with a wraith of some kind as well.

Vehicle/ship: Trading vessel, either of Umbar (stylized middle eastern theme) or Numenor (medieval with just a hint of steampunk perhaps)

Second wave:

Larger structure: build in a more modular style and size, strong architectural link to Rivendell, includes several main elven characters. This could be either a house or lesser palace

Buildable creature: Oliphaunt, includes a small scene with a ruler of Harad (one of the ring bearers/Ringwraith-to-be)

Vehicle: nomadic wagon—Rohan precursor humans, depicted as more nomadic, so with a steppe/Mongol vibe and thus the vehicle as a large dwelling-on-a-wagon. They could be barbaric, but more like Vikings than Game of Thrones horse-lords obviously

Overall thoughts:

just in brainstorming these few basic ideas, I think that a middle earth theme with a large number of sets would be difficult. If the show has monstrous trolls, dragons, and the like, then I could see buildable creatures helping to make a line with broader appeal. Ships would help as well. If Lego does revive, then I could see the more recent adult-centric marketing being another alternative, perhaps with a modular series expanding into each of the cultures depicted in the show.

I see the biggest problem as being the difficulty in having sets that are cheap enough, but having enough detail to give dwarven and elven architecture justice, not to mention the varied cultures of numenor, umbar, harad, and proto-Rohan.

Since I'm not on Eurobricks to often, I'd figured I'll post this now.

A couple of months ago Aaron Newman got hired by TLG and moved to Denmark for the job.

Now you may know Aaron from his appearance on LEGO Masters US, but he first made his mark in the community by coming up with his own fantasy theme; (not)LEGO Dragon Lands. Beautiful sets that rival the best of TLG original themes while still sticking to their design-philosophy. Over the years he came up with 5 waves, the most recent of which was posted just before he started his new job.

And before he even started Dragon Lands he build custom sets for Lord of the Rings, which were designed before LEGO introduced their own sets. One of which has a freaky resemblance to an official set that released later.

Over the years he hasn't stopped building LotR. Seen on his instagram he put some of the official sets in display cases, and somewhat recent-ish he build and released free instructions for this amazing Sauron you may even have seen. Save to say he's a big fan.

Now, he's known for building magical and fantastical things and creatures- so imagine my surprise when he annouced he would be working on LEGO CITY of alll themes. With all due respect to CITY, but it's hardly something I'd call fantastical or magical.

But here's another thing- when he annouced his new job on instagram, I commented something;

"Good luck bringing back LEGO Lord of the Rings!"

And he LIKED it.

So, I believe that he wasn't hired to work on LEGO City (at least not exclusively), but he was brought in to be a member of an elite designer team tasked to revive the theme with the upcoming resurgence in popularity and attention the Lord of the Rings franchise is about to recieve!

DISCLAIMER; I am joking (altough everything I've posted is a fact, so take that as you will).

Edited by Alegrispa

what i'm hoping for is that lego will use amazon show same way they use Fanstastic beasts for Harry Potter - few sets from new instalment in franchize + few sets from original story.... that way we would get LOTR/Hobbit sets + sets related to amazon show

that would be win-win, at least for me :)

1 hour ago, Duxx said:

what i'm hoping for is that lego will use amazon show same way they use Fanstastic beasts for Harry Potter - few sets from new instalment in franchize + few sets from original story.... that way we would get LOTR/Hobbit sets + sets related to amazon show

that would be win-win, at least for me :)

True! I was in my dark age for all but the last couple Hobbit sets, and though I was able to get multiples of some sets for cheap cheap (RIP USA Toys R Us), I would kill for a chance to go back and get some of the LotR sets

13 hours ago, Alegrispa said:

A couple of months ago Aaron Newman got hired by TLG and moved to Denmark for the job.

Now you may know Aaron from his appearance on LEGO Masters US, but he first made his mark in the community by coming up with his own fantasy theme; (not)LEGO Dragon Lands. Beautiful sets that rival the best of TLG original themes while still sticking to their design-philosophy. Over the years he came up with 5 waves, the most recent of which was posted just before he started his new job.

Now, he's known for building magical and fantastical things and creatures- so imagine my surprise when he annouced he would be working on LEGO CITY of alll themes. With all due respect to CITY, but it's hardly something I'd call fantastical or magical.

This actually gives some credibility to the Knights of Valor rumour, since Newman's Dragon Lands MOCs look like a hybrid of Elves and more traditional castle themes, which fits with the "Minidolls-for-boys" angle that KoV is rumoured to have. 🤔

That would make sense, although I don't think he was hired early enough for the first wave since designs are finalized around a year in advance.

But I could definitley see him working on that theme.

At least we got a guy on the inside we know for sure is gonna push for it (though maybe he'll wait til he's established himself in the company a little more).

Edited by Alegrispa

On 2/7/2022 at 9:05 AM, Classic_Spaceman said:

This actually gives some credibility to the Knights of Valor rumour, since Newman's Dragon Lands MOCs look like a hybrid of Elves and more traditional castle themes, which fits with the "Minidolls-for-boys" angle that KoV is rumoured to have. 🤔

Hey folks, just FYI - Knights of Valor is a fake rumor made up by Mr. No. 

Glad to see in the latest info, that the show will aim to appeal to “11, 12, and 13” year olds, negating the R-rated GoT fear that would preclude a Lego line

Do we even know if LEGO would still have the license to LOTR anymore? I would presume so, but just wondering. 

Also, while I question if LEGO would fully bring back LOTR, I would be interested to see if they would at least do a single D2C or 18+ display set for the theme.

3 hours ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

Do we even know if LEGO would still have the license to LOTR anymore? I would presume so, but just wondering. 

Not to my knowledge, though the revival wouldn’t necessarily have to start right away. The original theme came out in 2012, eleven years after the movies launched.

I would think that “cartoon-y” spin offs like the Rohirrim movie would help down the line…perhaps after (if) the show is successful.

Purely speculative, but still fun to think about as a medieval/LotR builder.

12 minutes ago, josebricks said:

I would think that “cartoon-y” spin offs like the Rohirrim movie would help down the line…perhaps after (if) the show is successful.

Actually, we're not sure if the Rohirrim movie is on anymore, with the LOTR & Hobbit movie and game rights now for sale... Which is a shame if true, I think it would have been a cool project and it could (have been) a boost to potential LEGO sets.

For reference: https://variety.com/2022/film/news/lord-of-the-rings-hobbit-tolkien-zaentz-rights-sale-1235176036/

On 2/13/2022 at 9:24 PM, Trunkbass said:

Actually, we're not sure if the Rohirrim movie is on anymore, with the LOTR & Hobbit movie and game rights now for sale... Which is a shame if true, I think it would have been a cool project and it could (have been) a boost to potential LEGO sets.

For reference: https://variety.com/2022/film/news/lord-of-the-rings-hobbit-tolkien-zaentz-rights-sale-1235176036/

Well I take back what I said before ^^, War of the Rohirrim confirmed for April 2024: https://www.polygon.com/22933827/lord-of-the-rings-anime-first-look-release-date

Could the mystery theme codenamed Coconut possibly be Lord of the Rings? It is rumored to come out the month after the show releases, which makes sense. I have heard that some think it may be Indiana Jones or Avatar, but I don't think the timing makes much since with those themes, as both Avatar 2 and the new Indiana Jones come out after the rumored release date for this theme... Maybe it could be??

Edited by TheKingPorg

13 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Agreed with you on this new hood! Lord of the Rings need some new parts, like medium legs for Hobbits, new swords, hairpieces, whatever they need!

While I understand the reason for giving medium legs for hobbits (playability), I think that medium legs should belong to the dwarves, because they are taller than hobbits. And hobbits should get short legs.

5 hours ago, TheKingPorg said:

Could the mystery theme codenamed Coconut possibly be Lord of the Rings? It is rumored to come out the month after the show releases, which makes sense. I have heard that some think it may be Indiana Jones or Avatar, but I don't think the timing makes much since with those themes, as both Avatar 2 and the new Indiana Jones come out after the rumored release date for this theme... Maybe it could be??

Wouldn't the sets come out before the show though? I thought the original sets came out before each of the 3 Hobbit movies.

Edit:

1st wave 27th of November vs. Unexpected Journey released internationally 12th of December (premiere 28th of November)

2nd wave 2nd of December vs. Desolation of Smaug released internationally 11th of December (premiere 2nd of December)

3rd wave 18th of October vs. Battle of five armies released internationally 11th of December (premiere 1st of December)

Edited by sahidko