Momotof

Lord of the rings sets returning? *Updated for 2023

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, MAB said:

Also they know that enough adults these days are willing to buy one large detailed set. Even better for lego, they buy direct from lego. Some won't, but do those adults matter to lego?

For a theme to work with small sets, they need to make enough small sets to give people what they want. Do a poor range and it will be left on shelves. A small Balrog set won't sell too well if people cannot get the Fellowship in cheap sets. Do the Fellowship in cheap sets and they risk affecting sales of the big set.

Mixtures of set sizes work for HP and SW because they are very large ranges, aimed across a wide age range. LOTR is not.

Plus there are going to be other movie franchises that will be having smaller retail sets that have movies out at the time. There are already complaints that lego does too much licensed stuff. Adding LOTR again as a large theme would increase those types of complaints. Keeping it to one large set instead of lots of smaller ones gets round that.

I think that’s an absolute bogus complaint. And if there’s any license that deserves full waves of sets it’s LOTR. And I resent the statement that LOTR isn’t for a large age range, that’s just not true

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I don’t want to abandon hope yet, but Frodo looks like he just has the newer regular sword piece, which could be a sign that there aren’t more sets in the works, at least not ones that will bring back the Sting piece. Could be nothing though

Definitely a good point, but this could just an issue with production timing. Since these are the first sets to release (because Brickheadz are the easiest to design and produce) they likely pushed them before production on all-new moulds was ready.

The original Sting mould is long gone by now, so they probably just weren't available for this set.

Edited by Alegrispa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alegrispa said:

Definitely a good point, but this could just an issue with production timing. Since these are the first sets to release (because Brickheadz are the easiest to design and produce) they likely pushed them before production on all-new moulds was ready.

The original Sting mould is long gone by now, so they probably just weren't available for this set.

That’s my hope!

So here’s a question. Would people want a Gandalf the Grey minifig to have legs? Or should he have a printed dress piece for his robes?

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Chinese fortune cookie told me to expect something precious the following year, so I'm optimistic this theme will be treated better than the last wave of Pirates of the Caribbean...

Regarding the brickheads, it seems a bit of a shame the balrog is Gandalf's height - would be interesting to see a change of scale among the brickheads. Only Arwen & Aragorn are good. We all have seen better MOCs of Frodo & Gandalf here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

That’s my hope!

So here’s a question. Would people want a Gandalf the Grey minifig to have legs? Or should he have a printed dress piece for his robes?

I loved Galadriel and Saruman with those slope pieces. Looked gorgeous and made them a bit larger then other characters. The limited movement was no issue in my opinion because they are standing in pretty much any sceene. Not much movement needed. Gandalf on the other hand moved quite much, climbed mountains took steps in Moria, rode his horse, sat on chairs. That is a character that needs movable legs in my opinion... of course the best way would be to put both into such an expensive set for adults, which won't happen, of course. I say the figure will have legs so he can sit in the council.

Oh my gosh... just saw the brickheads... I don't want to be rude but those are just pathetic :/ Another member made such gorgeous Mocs a few weeks ago, so it is certainly possible to make good ones. Whoever is responsible for these products should go to his room and think about what he or she has done. It reminds me of pupils who forgot their homework and made up some rubbish within 2 minutes. If there are several designs from which the best gets chosen, I am really scared of the others...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Gorilla94 said:

I loved Galadriel and Saruman with those slope pieces. Looked gorgeous and made them a bit larger then other characters. The limited movement was no issue in my opinion because they are standing in pretty much any sceene. Not much movement needed. Gandalf on the other hand moved quite much, climbed mountains took steps in Moria, rode his horse, sat on chairs. That is a character that needs movable legs in my opinion... of course the best way would be to put both into such an expensive set for adults, which won't happen, of course. I say the figure will have legs so he can sit in the council.

Oh my gosh... just saw the brickheads... I don't want to be rude but those are just pathetic :/ Another member made such gorgeous Mocs a few weeks ago, so it is certainly possible to make good ones. Whoever is responsible for these products should go to his room and think about what he or she has done. It reminds me of pupils who forgot their homework and made up some rubbish within 2 minutes. If there are several designs from which the best gets chosen, I am really scared of the others...

I remember how cool it was that Orthanc came with both the decorated slope piece and a pair of legs for Saruman. Now of course they have the actual lower robes/dress piece for minifigures so it wouldn’t make them any taller. But it looks better than the old slope regardless. It’s hard with Gandalf because he does move around a lot so legs would be great but I think in terms of the look, the lower robes piece would complete the aesthetic more efficiently, especially with some printing 

Hopefully we get some higher quality images of those Brickheadz soon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A compromise approach could be to use legs, and then a cloth "skirt" piece. Though that might not go well with a cape piece.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to see the brickheads, Aragorn park looks the best for the detail of the crown etc. Frodo & Gollum are not very interesting builds. The long sward is a mystery, they have the short hobbit sward in recent production (wizard chess for example). 

I’m excited for the Rivendell set, should look beautiful with lots of trees and buildings. I’m expecting Old Bilbo for the first time, I don’t think it will be a Hobbit set with Thorin’s company.

Edited by Bugbot20082

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bugbot20082 said:

Nice to see the brickheads, Aragorn park looks the best for the detail of the crown etc. Frodo & Gollum are not very interesting builds. 
 

I’m excited for the Rivendell set, should look beautiful with lots of trees and buildings. I’m expecting Old Bilbo for the first time, I don’t think it will be a Hobbit set with Thorin’s company.

I’d be very surprised if we see anything from The Hobbit. I think The Hobbit is what more or less killed the theme last time around. The films were not well received so the sets didn’t sell so they cancelled the entire Middle Earth theme

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a little disappointed, in principle, if it's Rivendell.

For me the ultimate set would be a staging of the confrontation with the Balrog. There is plenty to have a great setting between the bridge, the rock faces, a scaled Balrog and of course the fellowship of the ring and the goblins.

My second choice would have been Bilbo's house complete and very detailed with all the dwarves in the company. There would be enough to make a great playset with detailed interiors that can be closed with a shutter system, and a magnificent exterior.

However I trust LEGO to offer us a great set if Rivendell is confirmed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I’d be very surprised if we see anything from The Hobbit. I think The Hobbit is what more or less killed the theme last time around. The films were not well received so the sets didn’t sell so they cancelled the entire Middle Earth theme

I don't know, it kind of depends on how big the theme goes. I know the movies were not particularly loved (though Lego constantly makes sets based off of bad movies, even old ones), but I also feel like they lend themselves pretty well to sets. I don't think the 2012-13 Hobbit sets were particularly good, but there is a lot of potential for improvement to do more. In addition, the figures are insanely expensive, so even if that's not a great metric, it certainly shows there is some demand for more. Now, if Lego just goes the route of one set a year or so, I can see them ignoring the Hobbit, but if we get a full reboot like HP I doubt they would ignore the Hobbit, particularly considering that I really doubt LotR can last for more than 4 years on just the trilogy alone. I know Fantastic Beats (typo, but a hilarious one) was relatively ignored, but the HP films on their own have almost three times as much content to make things off of than the trilogy. I also feel like its worth mentioning that although the Hobbit wasn't loved, it certainly was not absolutely despised or just straight up hated, at least not the way some mediocre franchise films are. Given it's an adaption of a book, it still is an integral part of the LotR universe, and it seems to be for better or for worse, getting the Reddit-Prequels treatment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Brickroll said:

I don't know, it kind of depends on how big the theme goes. I know the movies were not particularly loved (though Lego constantly makes sets based off of bad movies, even old ones), but I also feel like they lend themselves pretty well to sets. I don't think the 2012-13 Hobbit sets were particularly good, but there is a lot of potential for improvement to do more. In addition, the figures are insanely expensive, so even if that's not a great metric, it certainly shows there is some demand for more. Now, if Lego just goes the route of one set a year or so, I can see them ignoring the Hobbit, but if we get a full reboot like HP I doubt they would ignore the Hobbit, particularly considering that I really doubt LotR can last for more than 4 years on just the trilogy alone. I know Fantastic Beats (typo, but a hilarious one) was relatively ignored, but the HP films on their own have almost three times as much content to make things off of than the trilogy. I also feel like its worth mentioning that although the Hobbit wasn't loved, it certainly was not absolutely despised or just straight up hated, at least not the way some mediocre franchise films are. Given it's an adaption of a book, it still is an integral part of the LotR universe, and it seems to be for better or for worse, getting the Reddit-Prequels treatment. 

I think there is more than enough they bc oils do with the LOTR trilogy for several years (not that I’m expecting it to happen), but I also do agree that The Hobbit films lend themselves very well to lego sets and it would certainly be a shame if they were ignored. That being said, that’s still exactly what I expect to happen if the theme gets revived for real. I enjoy The Hobbit films for what they are and I think, generally speaking, they probably get too much hate, but there are still a LOT of things that were done terribly to make those films unable to stand alongside LOTR on the pedestal in the hearts of fans. I would certainly not complain if we got some Hobbit sets, but I wouldn’t want them to take the place of any potential LOTR sets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Pics of the Brickheadz are out!!!

I don’t want to abandon hope yet, but Frodo looks like he just has the newer regular sword piece, which could be a sign that there aren’t more sets in the works, at least not ones that will bring back the Sting piece. Could be nothing though

To be fair, the sting mold for a brickheadz would be hilariously small. They do use it sometimes, but, like... it's supposed to be a short sword for someone hobbit sized, and it'd look like a letter opener in his hand.

16 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

This might the most arrogant I've ever been but I can't help but think that I did better, now I know that using LDD I have a lot less restraints than Lego does, (i.e I can use any part in any colour) but really Frodo's hair is too flat and Gandalf's hat Is too small for his head. ( Ignore that I made Shelob rather than the Balrog), and Lego brickheadz are always over reliant on printed designs!

No, your frodo is better. His hairline is weird in the official set. Your gandalf is better too IMO, but I feel like that's more subjective whereas your Frodo really does just feel actually better.

 

My thoughts:

Aragon and Arwen is by far the best, and probably the only one I'll get. They both look excellent and are recognizable despite not being the most iconic characters in the franchise, lego did a great job.

Gandalf and the Balrog is odd. I maintain the Balrog is a weird choice, and he kinda looks messy (Though that might be the quality of the images making him look like a vague black blob). Gandalf is fine. nothing special, but nothing bad.

Frodo and Golumm is rough. Golumm himself, like gandalf, is fine, but why does frodo have a receding hairline? His hair doesn't look curly or hobbit-like at all, and I think he should have been a 3x3 brickheadz size too, not a full sized one. He looks like a middle aged, balding man in a frodo costume.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding the Saruman and Gandalf ‘slopes’ .. I think they may ( depending on if we are indeed getting minifigures ) do more than one version, in a similar way to how they’ve portrayed the many versions of Dumbledore. I realise there aren’t as many variations for LOTR so another option would ( and be my personal preferred choice ) be to include both as @Balrogofmorgoth said earlier 🤞🏼

Edited by Jarreth2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jarreth2 said:

Regarding the Saruman and Gandalf ‘slopes’ .. I think they may ( depending on if we are indeed getting minifigures ) do more than one version, in a similar way to how they’ve portrayed the many versions of Dumbledore. I realise there are as many variations for LOTR so another option would ( and be my personal preferred choice ) be to include both as @Balrogofmorgoth said earlier 🤞🏼

That’s a great point. If this is an actual reboot I do hope they would treat this with the same level of effort as Harry Potter, particularly with the minifigures. People tend to overlook the amount of variation there is in characters’ outfits and appearances in LOTR. The last version of the theme ignored this. The HP team gives a lot of focus to it, so I would hope the same would happen here. 

Some things I really want them to include in the Rivendell set are the Narsil display, the Sauron and Isildur Mural (probably a sticker but still awesome), and Gilraen’s memorial

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These rumors of a Rivendell set are bittersweet for me, as I was really dreaming of a Minas Tirith set with minifigs of the Witch King, Eowyn, Faramir, Denethor.... I already own all the original LOTR sets, so I really don't need to get again the 9 fellowship minifigs... oh well if it is true, I guess at least there is potential for a set with a nice elvish architecture as we see in some MOCs.

Edited by Altair1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Altair1 said:

These rumors of a Rivendell set are bittersweet for me, as I was really dreaming of a Minas Tirith set with minifigs of the Witch King, Eowyn, Faramir, Denethor.... I already own all the original LOTR sets, so I really don't need to get again the 9 fellowship minifigs... oh well if it is true, I guess at least there is potential for a set with a nice elvish architecture as we see in some MOCs.

If the theme gets a real revival with real waves of sets, Minas Tirith is inevitable. The question is whether it would be a D2C or just a $150ish normal scale set. I like both options so it would be great to see both at different times in different scales. I think for this to be a successful reboot, it has to start with some more familiarity like the Fellowship. And my ideal Faramir figure would be an Ithilien version in his Ranger garb, but a “retaking Osgiliath” version would be awesome as well

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

If the theme gets a real revival with real waves of sets, Minas Tirith is inevitable. The question is whether it would be a D2C or just a $150ish normal scale set. I like both options so it would be great to see both at different times in different scales. Although my ideal Faramir figure would be an Ithilien version in his Ranger garb, but a “retaking Osgiliath” version would be awesome as well

I wish that were true, but from what we have heard this D2C is apparently just a one-shot LOTR set as a part of the Lego Icons brand, and not the first of a new LOTR wave...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Altair1 said:

I wish that were true, but from what we have heard this D2C is apparently just a one-shot LOTR set as a part of the Lego Icons brand, and not the first of a new LOTR wave...

Unfortunately it does seem that way. But if the set sells well, I’m sure they will do more. It’s up to us to speak with our wallets!

I don’t understand it though, it’s a massive license to waste on one set and a few Brickheadz. They’re holding on to a gold mine

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i havent seen a good balrog MOC... there a s couple decent ones, but i havent seen one that knocks my socks off. I feel like there are 4 or 5 decent ones that i like various parts of. I dont think Lego would make a really good one so im glad they dont produce an official one.

Edited by natesroom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, natesroom said:

i havent seen a good balrog MOC... there a s couple decent ones, but i havent seen one that knocks my socks off. I feel like there are 4 or 5 decent ones that i like various parts of. I dont think Lego would make a really good one so im glad they dont produce an official one.

I felt the same way so I used a couple of good ideas I saw mixed with several of my own and made myself a pretty decent looking Balrog 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I’d be very surprised if we see anything from The Hobbit. I think The Hobbit is what more or less killed the theme last time around. The films were not well received so the sets didn’t sell so they cancelled the entire Middle Earth theme

This has been debated lots before about exactly what went wrong, i don’t think it’s as simple as that in Lego’s case although it was definitely true for all the other hobbit merchandising. 

My theory is Lego had planned early on for 5 waves of sets: 3 Lotr and 2 Hobbit, one for each movie roughly. But then after production had already started for the first wave(s) the film studio made the decision to make the Hobbit 3 movies. Lego didn’t add more resources to the middle Earth theme, instead they swapped the budget allotted 3rd lotr wave for a 3rd hobbit wave, perhaps thinking that a present movie tie-in would sell better. Then once that 5 wave plan was finished the theme was not renewed due to poor sales overall. Creative decisions in the 2nd wave of lotr sets also hurt it a lot no doubt (pirate ship). 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I felt the same way so I used a couple of good ideas I saw mixed with several of my own and made myself a pretty decent looking Balrog 

photos or its not real!

Just now, Bugbot20082 said:

This has been debated lots before about exactly what went wrong, i don’t think it’s as simple as that in Lego’s case although it was definitely true for all the other hobbit merchandising. 

My theory is Lego had planned early on for 5 waves of sets: 3 Lotr and 2 Hobbit, one for each movie roughly. But then after production had already started for the first wave(s) the film studio made the decision to make the Hobbit 3 movies. Lego didn’t add more resources to the middle Earth theme, instead they swapped the budget allotted 3rd lotr wave for a 3rd hobbit wave, perhaps thinking that a present movie tie-in would sell better. Then once that 5 wave plan was finished the theme was not renewed due to poor sales overall. Creative decisions in the 2nd wave of lotr sets also hurt it a lot no doubt (pirate ship). 
 

 

Also more info on this (sources, links) i never heard any of this. I thought some of those last sets were kind of weak, though i still have the goblin king set unopened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, natesroom said:

photos or its not real!

4AAEBBCC-B567-4961-8950-809D9A890A876B760507-8DC5-4F22-943A-268F6B8CCD9B7BB9F831-A651-4CF9-B7A3-6A43898B89FA5E59DA0C-4693-4BC8-B469-CCBF83FED9E4

Photos aren’t the best, it really does look better in person, I promise. It sort of all blends together in the photos and I’m certainly no photographer 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Photos aren’t the best, it really does look better in person, I promise. It sort of all blends together in the photos and I’m certainly no photographer 

Yikes, dude. All that dust is disgusting.

I mean, you couldn't even just blow on it before you took the pictures? Geez.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.