Momotof

Lord of the Rings Ongoing Discussion

There’s definitely a chance it’s micro scale, but I do think it’s more likely that it’s closer to something like Assault on Hoth (totally underrated set btw) where you have all the most iconic sections of Rivendell at a highly detailed normal system play scale. Hogwarts Castle is known for its silhouette and so can be done well in micro scale to get the full effect. I think Rivendell is different in that it’s not so much the silhouette that stands out but rather the individual places and details. We don’t need the entirety of Rivendell in this set, we need several sections, each depicting different scenes and locations from the film, but that also come together to form a cohesive location build

Whenever I think about Rivendell, whether it‘s LOTR or Hobbit, it’s when they show the valley and the wonderful scenery/overall view: houses, terraces, bridges, waterfalls, autumn coloured trees, …

A set in the style of Assault on Hoth would be equally possible (and very exciting/lovely). We would get the iconic scenery but more detailed.

As long as all 9 members of the Fellowship are included I am down for this. 

a micro-scale set with poor minifig selection would rank the theme straight off the bat. 

On 11/26/2022 at 6:50 PM, Alexandrina said:

The likes of the Fellowship, Arwen, Elrond and Gollum are the most important characters that need to come first.

Rivendell is the only location where *every* major character can justifiably be included (obviously the Fellowship meet there, Arwen and Elrond are there as is Bilbo, and iirc Gollum turns up too to swim in the pond) which would also make for a good D2C set. Something like Amon Hen, on the other hand, would be a good set as part of a full wave but a pretty terrible D2C.

I guess we have different views of what the major characters are. I'd take the Witch King (with the famous crown not a hood), Saruman, Theoden and Galadriel over Arwen in terms of importance. Obviously all except the Witch King have been done before anyway.

Is gonna be a $500 set, I don't think we need to worry about mircoscale.

Yes the hogwarts was mircoscale but that had 8 movies worth of scenes to fit in it. I just can't see why they'd make it mircoscale 

14 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

There’s definitely a chance it’s micro scale, but I do think it’s more likely that it’s closer to something like Assault on Hoth (totally underrated set btw)

An Assault on Hoth type set would be fine. Part of the reason for AoH being under-rated was that much of it had been done not long before and in some cases better in small sets. Whereas all we have for Rivendell is the Council set from a decade ago.

This set will be $100 bigger than the huge new lion knights castle, we don't need to worry about it being a collection of things like assulat on both or about it being mircoscale, they can capture all the important areas of Rivendell is one cohesive minifig scaled ( or system scaled whatever) build for what will probably a £450 set. Okay.

2 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

This set will be $100 bigger than the huge new lion knights castle, we don't need to worry about it being a collection of things like assulat on both or about it being mircoscale, they can capture all the important areas of Rivendell is one cohesive minifig scaled ( or system scaled whatever) build for what will probably a £450 set. Okay.

You can bet they’ll focus on making sure all the iconic scenes can be recreated. That doesn’t make it a collection of random things like Hogwarts Icons, it’s still a cohesive build and will probably have an excellent looking exterior as well. The cool thing about Rivendell is that it’s not closed off like Hogwarts, it’s very open and exposed because it’s a safe haven. So they can make the interiors and exteriors blend together in a really cool way

I’m honestly kind of surprised this thread doesn’t have more activity. I would have thought it would be absolutely flooded with speculation, hopes and fears, etc. based on how high the demand for this theme’s return has seemed over the last decade. Let’s get some things rolling. What are three new molds you would like to see in this Rivendell D2C? And if the theme takes off afterwards, what else would you like to see besides the obvious missing characters and factions? In Rivendell, I would love to see a new Narsil/Anduril mold, a new Hadhafang mold, and a new hat/hair combo for Gandalf. And playing off that, if the theme moves forward I would love to see more specific sword molds, since individual swords are such an integral aspect of the story: Herugrim, Glamdring, Anduril, Sting, Hadhafang, Orcrist, etc. It’s funny that they made an Aeglos mold last time around and never even made Gil-Galad who is the only character it would have made sense for

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

4 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I’m honestly kind of surprised this thread doesn’t have more activity. I would have thought it would be absolutely flooded with speculation, hopes and fears, etc. based on how high the demand for this theme’s return has seemed over the last decade. Let’s get some things rolling. What are three new molds you would like to see in this Rivendell D2C? And if the theme takes off afterwards, what else would you like to see besides the obvious missing characters and factions? In Rivendell, I would love to see a new Narsil/Anduril mold, a new Hadhafang mold, and a new hat/hair combo for Gandalf

I want the theme to return as much as anyone, but I can't spend $500 on a Lego set and Brickheads aren't my thing, so its hard to get excited.

Well I personally don't want to speculate about something we know nothing about besides the name/location. Wild speculations can also lead to disappointment pretty fast (like predictions for a wave we don't even know we are getting). :)

Edited by sahidko

11 minutes ago, sahidko said:

Well I personally don't want to speculate about something we know nothing about besides the name/location. Wild speculations can also lead to disappointment pretty fast (like predictions for a wave we don't even know we are getting). :)

Well sure, if people let their speculations turn into expectations, then absolutely. Recipe for disappointment. But I feel like the lego community in general knows by now to take information, and especially speculation, with a grain of salt. Speculation is still part of the fun of the process. Especially since this is something that has been anticipated for a loooong time. Just thought it would be fun to say what our hopes are, or have been, now that there’s real hope

I am excited! Really hope this is true. If it is minifigure compatible with a decent line-up, easy way to use my VIP points that have been accrued. Barring anything unexpected about the set. Totally missed out on the line before, but would love to have a Star Wars, NASA, LOTR collection. 

Rivendell is something of a double edged sword here - it does not have a consistent layout in the films so some structures could be dropped if needs be, or it could be set out like the Hogwarts sets, where you connect the various buildings together in whatever orientation you want. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Most of the key locations can be seen here. The Council of Elrond is behind the big building on the left and Frodo's room is in a building off the left of the picture. 

The big building and gatehouse with the covered walkways either side are what I'd say are the most obvious buildingsto include, with the smaller hall on the right, bridges and gazebos being less important but still cool. 

As for figure possibilities, there are the nine members of the Fellowship, Elrond, Arwen, Gloin, Bilbo and various other Elves Men and Dwarves as well as statues from LOTR alone.

The LOTR sets came out when I was in my dark ages.  I feel like it's a bit late for me to even start going down this rabbit hole.  But I definitely may consider if they came out with updated and modernized versions of their older sets to go along with the new sets they're planning.

It sure worked with the Forest Hideout piquing my interest for the Lion Knight's Castle.

Edited by Triceron

Its hard to imagine which figs will be included here.  The price point should get us about 20 figs, and the fellowship only has 9.  Add Elrond and Arwen and…?  Maybe they could add a few more from the scene where they all sit around the ring and decide what to do with it.  There were more elves, dwarves, and men than the 9 in the fellowship there.  Or they could have Arwen being chased by the Nine.  Potentially a cool play feature with the water rushing at them in the form of horses!  Either way we should get some good landscaping with this set.

Honestly I wasn’t too impressed by the original LOTR sets.  Only ended up buying helms deep.  Had some good castle pieces if nothing else.  Looking forward to a reboot!  But if the sets are anything like before I will just opt for more copies of 10305.  Gonna be hard to beat that one.

I can see Gloin and old Bilbo being part of the line up as well. Or they can really do characters from both LOTR and Hobbit trilogies, which would add dwarves, Galadriel and Saruman as potential options.

5 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I’m honestly kind of surprised this thread doesn’t have more activity. I would have thought it would be absolutely flooded with speculation, hopes and fears, etc. based on how high the demand for this theme’s return has seemed over the last decade. 

There are 14 new pages worth since the rumour at the end of September, and we're still no closer to knowing any more than those rumours.

6 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

What are three new molds you would like to see in this Rivendell D2C?

Honestly it doesn't really need any, they can bring back some of the old ones. But for some to make it extra special 1- A new elf ears plus hair to give us some variety for our non- main character elves. 2- a new hair hair combo for Gandalf the Grey 3- a dual molded stings sonit can have the 'glowing' blue blade.

12 hours ago, MAB said:

I guess we have different views of what the major characters are. I'd take the Witch King (with the famous crown not a hood), Saruman, Theoden and Galadriel over Arwen in terms of importance. Obviously all except the Witch King have been done before anyway.

I mean, Galadriel I can agree with but she's probably going to be in a Rivendell set anyway.

As for the others: Theoden isn't in the first film and is a mindless thrall in the second, his importance essentially hinges on his speech and imo he's about as important as Eowyn. Saruman is very important but has a tendency to not be in the same place as many other main characters (other than the one Hobbit scene where he fights with Gandalf, Galadriel and Elrond, does he ever actually interact with more than one main character at the same time?) This makes it hard to include him in a singular set that's trying to hit as many bases as possible - he never shares a scene with Frodo, iirc, and of the two you kind of have to take Frodo. The Witch King is... who? I genuinely have no idea who that is.

35 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

Honestly it doesn't really need any, they can bring back some of the old ones. But for some to make it extra special 1- A new elf ears plus hair to give us some variety for our non- main character elves. 2- a new hair hair combo for Gandalf the Grey 3- a dual molded stings sonit can have the 'glowing' blue blade.

I would appreciate a shield mould which resembels the Elven leaflike shield, an Elven helmet and an Elven sword. Many clone companies and customizer companies have tried, to some success, but I would like to see official versions.

1 hour ago, sahidko said:

I can see Gloin and old Bilbo being part of the line up as well. Or they can really do characters from both LOTR and Hobbit trilogies, which would add dwarves, Galadriel and Saruman as potential options.

I would be very surprised if we saw anything from The Hobbit 

51 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

I mean, Galadriel I can agree with but she's probably going to be in a Rivendell set anyway.

As for the others: Theoden isn't in the first film and is a mindless thrall in the second, his importance essentially hinges on his speech and imo he's about as important as Eowyn. Saruman is very important but has a tendency to not be in the same place as many other main characters (other than the one Hobbit scene where he fights with Gandalf, Galadriel and Elrond, does he ever actually interact with more than one main character at the same time?) This makes it hard to include him in a singular set that's trying to hit as many bases as possible - he never shares a scene with Frodo, iirc, and of the two you kind of have to take Frodo. The Witch King is... who? I genuinely have no idea who that is.

Galadriel wouldn’t come in a Rivendell set unless it was based on The Hobbit. But I would absolutely love a big Lothlorien set down the line. Also, I totally disagree about Theoden, he’s extremely important and is released from Saruman’s grip fairly early in the second film. His role is very big in both The Two Towers and Return of the King. But no, he would have no reason to be in a set based on Fellowship of the Ring. And the Witch King is the lord of the Nazgûl. Stabs Frodo on Weathertop, wears an awesome helmet/crown in Return of the King at the Battle of Pelennor Fields, killed by Eowyn with the assist from Merry

1 hour ago, sahidko said:

In my opinion, old Bilbo is a MUST for this set. Gloin would be a cool bonus. I’d love to see an alternate scary face for Bilbo

1 hour ago, Agent Kallus said:

I definitely agree about a hat/hair mold for Gandalf, that’s a must. My biggest one is still a specialized mold for Narsil/Anduril, I remember being so disappointed that we didn’t get one in the Black Gate and Pirate Ship Ambush sets. A dual molded Sting would be cool, but I don’t think I would want the blue blade to be the only option. If blue and non blue were both available at the same time (not necessarily in the same set) that would be pretty cool to have both of those options

1 hour ago, MAB said:

There are 14 new pages worth since the rumour at the end of September, and we're still no closer to knowing any more than those rumours.

The information that it’s a Rivendell set, most likely with minifigures is huge news with so many implications, I think that’s worth some serious speculation and discussion. Obviously it would be foolish to take it as 100% confirmation, as always, but it’s still potentially huge news. I’m just surprised is all, we’ve only added about two pages since the news dropped. If this was Harry Potter, we would have gotten through about 20 new pages by now. Idk, I just found it strange and a little surprising 

I think this will be minifig scale.  I hope they do some elven armor, helms and an actual elven sword different from the previous one.  I would like to see the entire fellowship.  I hope they do birch trees like in the movie.  I would also like to see it with different foliage like in the fall season.  It will be interesting to see if they introduce some new arch pieces for this.  The architecture should be the focus here and I'm hoping for some new techniques and new pieces in this set.