Momotof

Lord of the Rings Ongoing Discussion

9 minutes ago, Hoth Rebel said:

If the rumor for the D2C is real, I don't see them do Minas Tirith or Rivendell. If it's a playscale set it will probably be Helms Deep. Something like the 90th anniversary castle but then with an extended wall. 

My worst fear is that it is real and it's like a microscale or bust/statue with 0-2 minifigures. 

If it does turn out to be in the 500 Euro range, then that should rule out being a set like the Harry Potter Icons set. That set was "only" $250 / 250 Euro / £230, so would need to be doubled in size which seems unlikely for a sculpture set. It doesn't rule out microscale of course.

If it really is going to be $500 or so, then I think they may go for Barad Dur, possibly with the Black Gate, or Minas Tirith, as both would work very well at that size and are also standalone sets - as in they can exist really nicely as a clear display piece. It can all sit very well on a single base and you can pick it up and place it all in one go.

Bag End feels like it's too small for that price range (or most of the detail would be inside and the display piece would be a large green mound.

Helm's Deep really needs a lot of rockwork and might be off-putting from a display perspective to just stop it. Plus, part of the magnificence of it in the film is the battle, and it's hard to recreate that with probably a maximum of 25 minifigures. Plus it's more awkward for display, which is what I expect a $500 set will be aimed at, as you'll have lots of small pieces to place.

I'd love it to be Rivendell set, as the architecture and the trees are fabulous, but does it stand out as very Lord of the Rings to most people? Maybe? Or it could just be a nice woodland scene. And again, would it work on just a single base for easy display?

On the one hand, expensive LEGO sets are a pain, as they're expensive and a large set lacks the elegance and ingenuity that often comes with a well executed smaller set. But on the other hand, it means it's very likely to look amazing!

I think we have to keep in mind that Lego went completely crazy this year and raised prices for some products 30% just because "why not?". I guess we have to imagine an at least slightly overpriced 400€ set with a 500€ price tag. With a 400€ set I can see them do for example a Bag End, too.

It is just an idea but could it be a huge Barad Dur with an open backside depicting iconic scenes like the Jurrassic Park gate? It would appeal to old collectors, who want a Barad Dur and would like to get a few updates in the fellowship. It would be cool for new customers because it is iconic as hell and works on its own.

Edited by Gorilla94

I really hope its not Barad Dur, its just a big boring tower...(and a lot of black pieces that wouldn't help my classic castle builds any)

(just my usually contrarian opinion)

eta: I think my main problem with Barad Dur is that its really difficult to make a black structure look interesting

Edited by woodford86

1 hour ago, woodford86 said:

I really hope its not Barad Dur, its just a big boring tower...(and a lot of black pieces that wouldn't help my classic castle builds any)

I am actually with you on this one. Just bigger black tower to put next to Orthanc. I rather get Minas Tirith or Rivendell for sure.

6 hours ago, MAB said:

If it does turn out to be in the 500 Euro range, then that should rule out being a set like the Harry Potter Icons set. That set was "only" $250 / 250 Euro / £230, so would need to be doubled in size which seems unlikely for a sculpture set. It doesn't rule out microscale of course.

I wouldn't rule out anything regarding D2C sets lately :p But yes, it would seems very unlikely. 

I´m still quite careful because we might get Sauron´s bust or something like the recent set from Black Panther.

3 hours ago, Gorilla94 said:

I guess we have to imagine an at least slightly overpriced 400€ set with a 500€ price tag.

Just out of comparison, 75978_Diagon Alley original price was 399,99€, while now is 449,99€.

Considering the same increase rate, 12,5%, a 2023 499,99€ set should be more or less comparable with a pre-increase-prices 440 set.

3 hours ago, woodford86 said:

eta: I think my main problem with Barad Dur is that its really difficult to make a black structure look interesting

100% d‘accord

Is LotR really going to be a LEGO theme with only very few set (brickheadz and D2C sets0? Just like Strange Things. 

Expensive doesn't mean it will be one thing. It could be done in Star Wars MBS style, like Assault on Hoth, with lots of smaller vignettes making one large set. Personally I'd prefer multiple small sets to decide on which ratio of the different bits that I want but a large set of little things is a possibility.

1 hour ago, MAB said:

Expensive doesn't mean it will be one thing. It could be done in Star Wars MBS style, like Assault on Hoth, with lots of smaller vignettes making one large set. Personally I'd prefer multiple small sets to decide on which ratio of the different bits that I want but a large set of little things is a possibility.

Assulat on both was one location, just made of several parts.

1 hour ago, Agent Kallus said:

Assulat on both was one location, just made of several parts.

Yes, I know. And Minas Tirith, for example, is one location but could be represented by one big single build or alternatively it could be represented by separate vignettes, just like MBS sets such as Assault on Hoth is, of a gate being smashed by Grond, the Witch King riding a fell beast attacking Gandalf in front of a piece of wall, Pippin lighting the beacon, Denethor in the Tower Hall, the White Tree and fountain surrounded by a bit of grass, Faramir on horseback and a couple of soldiers. Maybe even a bit of the outer fields with an oliphant and some Haradrim. That is still one location but broken into lots of small vignettes, just like Assault on Hoth.

What if its a giant $500 build of the Tree of Gondor. Maybe on each branch is a different scene or character or artifact?

Maybe a Minas Tirith in scale of like the Colosseum?

I really didn't expect the D2C set to be so expensive, I was so sure it'll be a minifig scaled Bag End. That's obviously out of the question now, unless they give us the complete Bilbo farewell party as an add-on...

Now I'm speculating we'll get a microscale Orthanc with the surrounding wall together with some microscale ents perhaps and 3-4 important figures. I somehow can't imagine Minas Tirith or Helms Deep at this stage:

1. Lego has now already 2 different castles sitting on shelves.

2. the 76210 new Hulkbuster will cost 550€ for a bit over 4000 pieces. So this sounds pretty close to what we probably can expect. Minas Tirith/Helms Deep surely would be closer to the Titanic in terms of piece count.

What is the largest, most expensive art piece so far? I could really see a large map with micro scale builds for the major locations. 

Minas Tirith at 500$ in 2022 I just don't see it... Would have to be micro scale like Hogwarts. The big Bowser retails at 350$ in comparison so. 

In the mini fig size range I can see a couple things but not complete cities like Minas Tirth, Orthanc, Eidoras ect 

Moria crypt battle + Balrog, Helms Deep, Black gates or a big complete Bag End.

1 hour ago, SirBlake said:

What is the largest, most expensive art piece so far? I could really see a large map with micro scale builds for the major locations. 

It’s the World Map, which is $250 USD with 11,695 pieces. https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/world-map-31203

And that sounds like a great idea, but it’s definitely not the D2C set, and would probably have too many issues with people arguing that Lego is copying the Lego Ideas set from last year without giving the designer credit or a portion of profit.

47 minutes ago, RetroInferno said:

Minas Tirith at 500$ in 2022 I just don't see it... Would have to be micro scale like Hogwarts. The big Bowser retails at 350$ in comparison so. 

In the mini fig size range I can see a couple things but not complete cities like Minas Tirth, Orthanc, Eidoras ect 

I agree in general, but if it's $500 USD (which is what I believe they meant), you'd be comparing it to the USD price of bowser, only $270. 

(and of course we wouldn't be getting a minifig scale city, that'd be like house-sized IRL. But a microscale exterior section of minas trith with minifig-scale scenes on the other side seems like something they could do)

Again, not something I think they WOULD do, but it's possible.

45 minutes ago, QuiggoldsPegLeg said:

It’s the World Map, which is $250 USD with 11,695 pieces. https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/world-map-31203

And that sounds like a great idea, but it’s definitely not the D2C set, and would probably have too many issues with people arguing that Lego is copying the Lego Ideas set from last year without giving the designer credit or a portion of profit.

I agree. As a D2C set, something like the world map would have to be around twice the size, which is just obstructively large. Even if you built up the locations like in the ideas set (which then creates a whole new issue because it goes from a wall decoration to a tabletop decoration, and generally people have more wall space than table space), it'd still by an absolutely massive set that I just don't see happening.

I'm eagerly anticipating more news on the rumoured D2C set (not that I can afford it), but deep down holding out hope that we will get a range of new regular sets, this is my wishlist and potentially not too far fetched in regards to set sizes...

D2C - A large scaled Bag End with detailed interior with big tree on top (Bilbos desk, entry way with movie like hallways and a large dining table with food shelves around it) featuring 18 minifigs including Old Bilbo, Gandalf, Frodo and Sam, Young Bilbo & 13 Dwarves

Regular sets - 1) Bilbos Birthday celebration with birthday flags and small tent with Old Bilbo, Gandalf, Merry & Pippin with fireworks,  2) Entrance to Moria with elven gate sticker on wall, trees and water creature with Gandalf, Frodo, Sam,Legolas, Gimli 3) Brick Built Balrog vs Gandalf (You Shall Not Pass) with small bridge, 4) Rohan Golden Hall Interior with throne, banners and partial walls/pillars with King Theoden, Grima Wormtongue, Eowyn, Hama, Gandalf the White, 5) Detailed Brick Built Treebeard with Merry & Pippin and an Orc to squash :-) 6) The Forbidden Pool with Gollum (obviously), Frodo, Sam, Farimir & Gondor archer 7) New moulded or partially brickbuilt Fellbeast with Witch King, Frodo & Sam 8) Minus Tirith white tree and platform and maybe partial hall with Denethor, Pippin, Gandlaf the white on horse with Merry 9) Destroying the ring in Mount Doom with rock bridge and lava below with Gollum, Frodo and Sam.. 10) Prologue battle with Sauron, Isildor, Elrond + a couple of Elf and Men soldiers..

As most people would be happy just to get the minifigs we are missing, and some familiar ones with new printing, that's why I'm keen on these ones for the minifigs and basic builds that can be expanded on...

Can always dream.......

Edited by NDLG80

7 hours ago, RetroInferno said:

Minas Tirith would not have to be microscale as it would not need to be the full city. Of course, they could go microscale and do a large display item like Hogwarts, or they could go minifigure scale and do it in the style of Diagon Alley (a $450 set). That has just four shops, but is enough to evoke the whole street. If they do Minas Tirith, they could do the white tree and fountain surrounded by a few minifigure scale buildings of importance, without doing all the layers of the city.

Edited by MAB

10 hours ago, NDLG80 said:

5) Detailed Brick Built Treebeard with Merry & Pippin and an Orc to squash :-)

This would be fun if they could design the foot in such a way that you could have the whole foot planted on the minifigure with just his head poking out but the inside was hollow enough to fit the minifig.