Momotof

Lord of the Rings Ongoing Discussion

7 hours ago, QuiggoldsPegLeg said:

Even if Rivendell shows up in season 2, which I doubt it will, there’s no way Lego would have a set based off of episodes of a show that likely wouldn’t release until around a year after the set releases. 

Plus more importantly, Lego‘s deal is with Warner Brothers, not Amazon. If they wanted to include Rings of Power characters in the Rivendell set they’d need to reach an agreement with both companies, making things tremendously complicated and cutting into Lego’s profits all over a couple unnecessary minifigures  

I would absolutely love Rings of Power sets, but they’re likely never coming, and being included in this upcoming Rivendell set definitely ain’t it. 

But who is to say that LEGO hasn’t already made a deal with Amazon too? I can’t imagine that their Legal team would allow them to name drop the Rings of Power in LEGO marketing materials if some kind of arrangement wasn’t already in place…

I agree that the upcoming Rivendell set will probably not include any Rings of Power minifigs. My point is more general about the fact that the show is mentioned by name in LEGO’s marketing and if we have any hopes of the LOTR series coming back in full force, the five seasons of Rings of Power present a good opportunity for that to happen.

This is what we predicted would happen on the Wizarding World forum a few years back when the Rings of Power series was announced. That this could be the moment LEGO LOTR returns… and look where we are today. I think it’s very likely that we will see some tie-ins if the series fully relaunches - even if it’s just a set or two per wave.

Edited by sebastian666

25 minutes ago, sebastian666 said:

But who is to say that LEGO hasn’t already made a deal with Amazon too? I can’t imagine that their Legal team would allow them to name drop the Rings of Power in LEGO marketing materials if some kind of arrangement wasn’t already in place…

I agree that the upcoming Rivendell set will probably not include any Rings of Power minifigs. My point is more general about the fact that the show is mentioned by name in LEGO’s marketing and if we have any hopes of the LOTR series coming back in full force, the five seasons of Rings of Power present a good opportunity for that to happen.

This is what we predicted would happen on the Wizarding World forum a few years back when the Rings of Power series was announced. That this could be the moment LEGO LOTR returns… and look where we are today. I think it’s very likely that we will see some tie-ins if the series fully relaunches - even if it’s just a set or two per wave.

This is how I feel as well. The timing of it coming back just after season 1 of RoP ends is obviously not a coincidence. Whether that means sets based on RoP or not is up in the air, but at the very least they are banking on riding the wave of resurgent interest in Middle Earth. Again, I too would bet against a tie in in the D2C set, but it's fun to speculate until we start seeing box art.

I too feel like the use of the RoP name in specifically *marketing* materials probably does require some level of pre-arrangement, as you can easily argue that they expect to profit off of the use.

Edited by mtrsteve

I also think relaunching the theme with a $500 set is already an interesting decision, and making it based on RoP wouldn’t be a good idea. There just wouldn’t be enough interest. If they did tie in sets it would have to be after they introduced LOTR through movie sets

While waiting for the Rivendell set, I have been working on a Minas Tirith MOC. Here is a first preliminary version (I need more white pieces!)

MT low res.jpg

If we were to get a full wave of LEGO LOTR sets this year or next year, similar to the relaunch of LEGO Harry Potter, I’m curious as to what sets folks think are most likely. Here are some of my predictions of how the first wave of play sets could look:

- Bag End - Bilbo’s 111th Birthday

- Attack on Weathertop 

- Gates of Moria - Watcher in the Water 

- The Balrog - minifig scale kinetic sculpture 

- Galadriel’s Test 

- Ambush at Amon Hen  

- Rings of Power - Arondir vs the Orcs

- D2C Rivendell (microscale)

Edited by sebastian666

1 hour ago, Altair1 said:

While waiting for the Rivendell set, I have been working on a Minas Tirith MOC. Here is a first preliminary version (I need more white pieces!)

MT low res.jpg

Nice!I think this scale is perfect. Big, but not 5,000+ pieces big.

42 minutes ago, sebastian666 said:

If we were to get a full wave of LEGO LOTR sets this year or next year, similar to the relaunch of LEGO Harry Potter, I’m curious as to what sets folks think are most likely. Here are some of my predictions of how the first wave of play sets could look:

- Attack on Weathertop 

- Galadriel’s Test 

- Ambush at Amon Hen  

I would be good with that list (would that be the Party tree and tent with fireworks or actual Bag end (like the hobbit set)?  That would also be a cool set idea with the dragon fireworks and some extra hobbits with the party tree/ tent/ tables).  I would even buy the ROP sets just to keep the LOTR original Trilogy going (some other ROP ideas could be the forge, a numenor ship, snow troll battle, rock breaking competition). I am pro keeping ROP limited though so we can get some of the sets and Minifigures we are missing from the original.

Would you rather have another weather top or a fords of bruinen or Bree encounter to get some more ringwraiths?  Just curious as to everyone's thoughts here.  I thought the old weather top set was about as good of a playlet as they could do without doing a more expensive version (thinking over $100 to really improve it).  My personal vote would be prancing pony or fords, however, I also have all of the original sets so am biased that way.

Also I know someone floated the idea of a CMF which would be excellent, that seems like the least likely (but coolest) thing they could do.

1 hour ago, sebastian666 said:

- Attack on Weathertop 

- Galadriel’s Test 

- Ambush at Amon Hen  

So there was a rumored list going around for a LOTR wave three before it got cancelled back in 2014 and I think that rumored list would be almost perfect as the start to a reboot.

-The Mirror of Galadriel 

-Amon Hen Ambush

-Defence of Osgiliath

-Witch King Showdown

-Minas Tirith

I think if I could add one set it would be the Bridge of Khazad-Dûm

21 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

So there was a rumored list going around for a LOTR wave three before it got cancelled back in 2014 and I think that rumored list would be almost perfect as the start to a reboot.

-The Mirror of Galadriel 

-Amon Hen Ambush

-Defence of Osgiliath

-Witch King Showdown

-Minas Tirith

Would be nice if they were already down the planning path (had molds designed, and some set designs) and could dig up some old plans to shorten turn around times because those would be great sets as well.  I am a little disappointed we didn't see any summer wave rumors but given the ROP tie in (and language on lego.com LOTR page) I am hopeful we will actually see sets in Fall or early next year.  Lego would at least get more money by releasing this year, my hobby money is currently set aside for lego but without more LOTR sets it will get diverted to my other hobbies (minus the Brickheadz and Rivendell).

I really hope that the Brickheadz and the D2C are just a start, I'd love to get more Middle-Earth sets.

This would be a cherry on top of all the new and revived themes of 2023.

1 hour ago, Lordhelmet said:

I would be good with that list (would that be the Party tree and tent with fireworks or actual Bag end (like the hobbit set)?  That would also be a cool set idea with the dragon fireworks and some extra hobbits with the party tree/ tent/ tables).  I would even buy the ROP sets just to keep the LOTR original Trilogy going (some other ROP ideas could be the forge, a numenor ship, snow troll battle, rock breaking competition). I am pro keeping ROP limited though so we can get some of the sets and Minifigures we are missing from the original.

Would you rather have another weather top or a fords of bruinen or Bree encounter to get some more ringwraiths?  Just curious as to everyone's thoughts here.  I thought the old weather top set was about as good of a playlet as they could do without doing a more expensive version (thinking over $100 to really improve it).  My personal vote would be prancing pony or fords, however, I also have all of the original sets so am biased that way.

I imagine a big Bag End set ($120+) that included Bilbo’s hobbit hole as well as the party set-up and a dragon fireworks build (similar to the fiendfyre build in the upcoming Hogwarts Room of Requirement set).

I would much rather have a Bree set with the ringwraiths - the LEGO Ideas submission for the Prancing Pony is just 😘🤌 - but I imagine they would remake / reimagine a few old sets like the Wizarding World did when they relaunched. 

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/c928192a-50a0-4c4c-90da-5224f92f1937

49 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

-The Mirror of Galadriel 

-Amon Hen Ambush

-Defence of Osgiliath

-Witch King Showdown

-Minas Tirith

This would be absolutely amazing… I feel like if they decide to bring the theme back for a few years while Rings of Power is airing, they might follow a similar approach to Harry Potter and have each wave focus (for the most part) on a specific movie. So wave one would be more focused on the Fellowship, etc. I would kill to have Osgiliath and Minas Tirith sets ASAP though… and the Witch King Showdown with Eowyn is a must have.

39 minutes ago, sebastian666 said:

I imagine a big Bag End set ($120+) that included Bilbo’s hobbit hole as well as the party set-up and a dragon fireworks build (similar to the fiendfyre build in the upcoming Hogwarts Room of Requirement set).

I would much rather have a Bree set with the ringwraiths - the LEGO Ideas submission for the Prancing Pony is just 😘🤌 - but I imagine they would remake / reimagine a few old sets like the Wizarding World did when they relaunched. 

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/c928192a-50a0-4c4c-90da-5224f92f1937

This would be absolutely amazing… I feel like if they decide to bring the theme back for a few years while Rings of Power is airing, they might follow a similar approach to Harry Potter and have each wave focus (for the most part) on a specific movie. So wave one would be more focused on the Fellowship, etc. I would kill to have Osgiliath and Minas Tirith sets ASAP though… and the Witch King Showdown with Eowyn is a must have.

Some Star Wars styled battle packs would be great too :) get some Uruks, Orcs, Gondor Soldiers, Rohirim etc.  If lego did that I would be spending too much though between sets and battle packs.  

That Bree set is excellent

I do find it interesting that LOTR resale (specifically mini figs) is top 4 or maybe 5 (Star Wars, Superheroes, HP, LOTR) seem to make up the top 4 resale prices.  I would hope that bodes well for Lego to be willing to make LOTR at least a smaller annual wave (5-7 sets) at least for a few years.  There is obviously a market for it even if that market is not as large as Star Wars or Superheroes (Marvel/DC) it has to be as big or bigger than many of the other lines that they are currently running.   

18 hours ago, Lordhelmet said:

Some Star Wars styled battle packs would be great too :) get some Uruks, Orcs, Gondor Soldiers, Rohirim etc.  If lego did that I would be spending too much though between sets and battle packs.  

That Bree set is excellent

I do find it interesting that LOTR resale (specifically mini figs) is top 4 or maybe 5 (Star Wars, Superheroes, HP, LOTR) seem to make up the top 4 resale prices.  I would hope that bodes well for Lego to be willing to make LOTR at least a smaller annual wave (5-7 sets) at least for a few years.  There is obviously a market for it even if that market is not as large as Star Wars or Superheroes (Marvel/DC) it has to be as big or bigger than many of the other lines that they are currently running.   

Battle packs would absolutely need to happen if we get an actual reboot. It’s too perfect, it’s like battle packs were made for LOTR 

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

On 12/28/2022 at 8:57 PM, Altair1 said:

I was personally quite disappointed with Rings of Power, and I hope they will not be making sets based on that show. As someone stated earlier they would probably sell as badly as the Hobbit ones, and this would be the end for good of any LOTR sets...

I think we will get Rings of Power sets. It would be weird for LEGO to specifically mention the series in their theme description and not do anything from it.

23 hours ago, Lordhelmet said:

Minifig and set prices for LOTR are quite high, but volume is quite low now. 

As a Castle MOC'er, I don't care what iteration of the LOTR IP these sets are based on - just give me those sweet, sweet fantasy builds and pieces!

Honk! Honk!

I’m not into Brickheadz either, but the sooner we send the message for more LOTR the better. I also don’t think they look any worse than any other Brickheadz

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

1 hour ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Getting ready to order those Brickheadz once they’re available. Anyone else?

I’ll be ordering all three sets as soon as they’re available. I don’t love the designs if I’m being honest, but I want LEGO to see there is demand for the LOTR theme. 

I’m looking at it like as an investment in the  theme. Almost like a crowdfunding campaign. The more of these that sell, the better the chances that LEGO will invest more into the theme.

22 minutes ago, sebastian666 said:

I’ll be ordering all three sets as soon as they’re available. I don’t love the designs if I’m being honest, but I want LEGO to see there is demand for the LOTR theme. 

I’m looking at it like as an investment in the  theme. Almost like a crowdfunding campaign. The more of these that sell, the better the chances that LEGO will invest more into the theme.

Exactly how I’m approaching it

2 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I’m not into Brickheadz either, but the sooner we send the message for more LOTR the better. I also don’t think they look any worse than any other Brickheadz

I can't bring myself to order these no matter how much I want LotR to succeed. My wallet will send the message that I want play sets or display sets. And I would say two of them are decent for what they are, but the Frodo/Gollum one is laughably bad in my opinion.

I'll be getting the Gandalf+Balrog and Aragorn+Arwen which are great and good (respectively). However I will definitely not get the hideous naked baby Gollum and buzz cut Frodo. 

3 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Exactly how I’m approaching it

Same here, plus I need to complete the LOTR sets.  I’m going to buy in person though.  Whatever it takes to get Lego to bring back LOTR for real :) .