Momotof

Lord of the Rings Ongoing Discussion

Rumours on instagram is that the set is Rivendell (probably including minifigures) for $500 with a march release.  And I just started building LegoMocLoc’s Rivendell … :sceptic:

Well I woke up today and the first Instagram post that greeted me was … it’s Rivendell 😁 supposedly to include minifigures. 

Two massive LotR in the same year? One for 500 and one for close to 700? Seems a little much to start with, and wouldn't that also split set profits?

Yeah, Idk. Seems like a bogus leak, but the account that broke it seemingly hasn't posted anything crazy or obviously fake before, although it does mostly appear to be second hand information.

So maybe they're being duped a fake source or they're messing with us. Fake leaks are all too common. I don't doubt the theme is coming back, just this particular rumour.

EDIT: Yeah, never mind. Am dumba*s.

Edited by Alegrispa

1 hour ago, Alegrispa said:

Two massive LotR in the same year? One for 500 and one for close to 700? Seems a little much to start with, and wouldn't that also split set profits?

Yeah, Idk. Seems like a bogus leak, but the account that broke it seemingly hasn't posted anything crazy or obviously fake before, although it does mostly appear to be second hand information.

So maybe they're being duped a fake source or they're messing with us. Fake leaks are all too common. I don't doubt the theme is coming back, just this particular rumour.

I believe the $700 is just the Canadian price point, while the $500 is the American. Still still only one set. :) 

Ohh, it not been verified by promobricks or falconfan but Rivendale sounds awesome.

I imagine the build will be a bit like that one that on ideas ages ago. It might just be the most beautiful set of all time.

And think about the minifigure potential... We could get the entire fellowship, the entire company of Thorin, glorfindel, Arewen, Elrond, old bildo maybe even the white council.

Rivendell sounds promising for sure! Hopefully it's confirmed by some of the usual sources soon.

EDIT: but if it's reallly Rivendell that most likely means no Sauron, no Faramir/Eowyn or Gondor soldiers. :/

Edited by sahidko

Are we expecting this to be a one off or to continue?  For me I can't see them stopping after one $500 set, especially with The Rings of Power future series.  After all there was so much left to cover from the movies. 

So. I think a Rivendell D2C is the perfect place to start for a reboot. Obviously only sales will determine whether or not this actually becomes a full reboot. So let’s not disappoint! They’ll have the opportunity to include all nine members of the Fellowship as well as characters like Elrond, Arwen, and Bilbo. Maybe some background Elves or people at the Council like Gloin. Possibly even Ringwraiths if they include the ability to recreate the Flight to the Ford scene. Also, Rivendell’s architecture is gorgeous and I can’t wait to see what building techniques the designers utilize here. I think it’s an excellent choice for all these reasons in addition to the fact that it’s a very iconic location and everyone knows the name Rivendell. I think it’s the perfect choice to kickstart this theme. If it does its job, then sets with missing characters and locations from the last run will follow. But this is the perfect set to draw people in because of how aesthetically pleasing of a display it will be, as well as the supposed abundance of minifigs

7 hours ago, Bainter-ban said:

Is «leaky_minifigure» reliable?

Generally. He doesn’t usually get big scoops, but sometimes he gets things before everyone else does, and doesn’t usually seem to just make random stuff up. I’m willing to buy into it for now, considering no one has disproved it yet.

Big if true. A rivendell set will be amazing and a fun build I am sure. But, the minifig selection won't be that great I am sure. Any potential minifig that could be in this set, we already have.  I guess no gondor, haradim,  easterlings or sauron 

4 hours ago, sahidko said:

Rivendell sounds promising for sure! Hopefully it's confirmed by some of the usual sources soon.

EDIT: but if it's reallly Rivendell that most likely means no Sauron, no Faramir/Eowyn or Gondor soldiers. :/

Dual moulded Hobbit feet as well as Dual moulded printed arms for Boromir. That's two of the 3 things I really want and can't make myself. The third is Faramir with silver belt buckle. 

Personally I think Rivendell is likely. Winnie Pooh was a huge success. The tree house seems to sell well until this day. The ewok village was a hit and exploded on the second hand market. Well made trees/nature sceenes work. The sceene also features the whole fellowship, which would not be included in Minas Tirith.

Edited by Gorilla94

Rivendell is imo the only thing that makes sense for a standalone set (we can all hope for a full theme, but it may be the case that this one set is all we get).

It's easy for those who were around when the previous LotR run was happening/have since collected the sets to want the gaps in their collections to be filled, and hopefully they will in time, but there's a reason the missing characters had been left aside for the hypothetical third year of sets. I love Eowyn, she's probably one of my favourite characters in the films, but she's solidly in the B-tier of characters by importance. The likes of the Fellowship, Arwen, Elrond and Gollum are the most important characters that need to come first. And while many people did collect them all last time, just as many didn't. How many people weren't able to afford the sets at the time, and can't justify paying the aftermarket price for them now? I know I'm one. I have Frodo, Gandalf and Eomer from the original run because they happened to come with the sets I had, and I've since supplemented them with Tauriel because she's my favourite, but I've just not got the money to buy all the main cast, not unless I want to get literally no other Lego all year. Lego have to plan their sets for the largest possible subset of their target audience, and a D2C is already an expensive set. The potential market is pared down significantly by the price point. Realistically, anybody in that group of people prepared to spend $500 on a Lego Rivendell who has the characters already is likely to buy the set anyway. People who might spend that money but don't have the characters might decide not to bother if there are too many major characters missing. At least some of the market is going to be new customers, for whom the D2C needs to stand alone as a collector's piece. Those people are going to want all the Fellowship at least for their $500.

Rivendell is the only location where *every* major character can justifiably be included (obviously the Fellowship meet there, Arwen and Elrond are there as is Bilbo, and iirc Gollum turns up too to swim in the pond) which would also make for a good D2C set. Something like Amon Hen, on the other hand, would be a good set as part of a full wave but a pretty terrible D2C.

My greatest hope is that they see the theme as full of promise but not being evergreen (at first) just like how HP started so that we could maybe get a few CMFs out of them. That would be the best way to get a bunch of new LOTR specific molds. But obviously that’s a VERY premature thing to hope for and has very slim to zero chances of actually happening

3 hours ago, Shroffy123 said:

Big if true. A rivendell set will be amazing and a fun build I am sure. But, the minifig selection won't be that great I am sure. Any potential minifig that could be in this set, we already have.  I guess no gondor, haradim,  easterlings or sauron 

I think the minifig potential is really good but not if we’re only basing it on what we got ten years ago. Those sets were absolutely ahead of their time but there’s still a ton that can be improved upon, especially with the minifigures. If this does well, the rest will follow, and then we’ll eventually get Gondor stuff and  other missing characters and locations from before, as well as some more improved repeats. Again, it’s been ten years, I think repeats and upgrades are inevitable and even essential. But it’s up to all of us to make sure that happens by buying this Rivendell set and sending the message that we want this reboot very badly

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

If the latest rumor is true a D2C Rivendell sounds like a great way to bring back the theme. Its a visually stunning and iconic location that would make for a beautiful display piece. Getting the full Fellowship, Elrond, Arwen and Bilbo together would be great - but I hope they can also squeeze in Galadriel and Saruman based on their appearance in the Hobbit. If the Death Star and Sanctum Sanctorum can take inspiration from multiple films there's no reason why this couldn't do the same.

8 hours ago, Legoman123 said:

Are we expecting this to be a one off or to continue?  For me I can't see them stopping after one $500 set, especially with The Rings of Power future series.  After all there was so much left to cover from the movies. 

I think there's definitely more on the way. Three Brickheadz sets and a D2C alone coming off a 10 year hiatus just seems too random and out of the blue. And while PromoBricks have stated there are no regular sets in the first half of the year, there's been nothing said about the second half.

After seeing the leaked pic of 71782 from the next Ninjago wave I'd be very shocked if we didn't get a Balrog set next year (not counting the Brickheadz version). Those new horn pieces on the dragon's head looks like it was absolutely made with the Balrog in mind.

2 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

My greatest hope is that they see the theme as full of promise but not being evergreen (at first) just like how HP started so that we could maybe get a few CMFs out of them. That would be the best way to get a bunch of new LOTR specific molds. But obviously that’s a VERY premature thing to hope for and has very slim to zero chances of actually happening.

Thinking about it... If Lego puts the cmfs into boxes next autum - which is a terrible idea -, the chances for a Lotr cmf series could in fact rise at least a bit. Most of the figures are generic enough so Castle builders would buy a whole box just for torso prints, flesh faces and some cool accessories. On the other hand few people want 3 Zombie Captain Americas.

13 minutes ago, Gorilla94 said:

Thinking about it... If Lego puts the cmfs into boxes next autum - which is a terrible idea -, the chances for a Lotr cmf series could in fact rise at least a bit. Most of the figures are generic enough so Castle builders would buy a whole box just for torso prints, flesh faces and some cool accessories. On the other hand few people want 3 Zombie Captain Americas.

LOTR would definitely be the only CMF series I would buy a whole case for. But that’s only if they no longer use bags. I enjoy the hunt too much with the bag feeling

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

Well, a giant Rivendell sounds awesome! I can’t wait to see how it is built and how the final product appears. I bet there will be a high number of minifigures included, if the giant Harry Potter sets are anything to go by. I would like the Fellowship, old Bilbo and Elrond, but we’ll see what comes!

There is the problem that usually they reuse figs from system sets but if we ignore that for the time being and look at other licensed fig scaled location sets. ( As we don't know the £ price I'll have too do it in dollar)

Death Star ( the 2016 one as it's more recent) 27 figs - $500

Cloud city (2018) 21 figs - $350

Daily bugle (2021) 25 figs - $350

Diagon Alley (2020) 17 figs - $450

Mo's eisley cantina (2020) 21 figs - $400

So I'd say between 20 and 30 figs is a reasonable estimate.

I was not fortunate enough to get all the old sets so .

4 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

There is the problem that usually they reuse figs from system sets but if we ignore that for the time being and look at other licensed fig scaled location sets. ( As we don't know the £ price I'll have too do it in dollar)

Death Star ( the 2016 one as it's more recent) 27 figs - $500

Cloud city (2018) 21 figs - $350

Daily bugle (2021) 25 figs - $350

Diagon Alley (2020) 17 figs - $450

Mo's eisley cantina (2020) 21 figs - $400

So I'd say between 20 and 30 figs is a reasonable estimate.

I was not fortunate enough to get all the old sets so .

The only thing is that there are only so many figures that make sense for the set unless they make it a LOTR plus The Hobbit set all in one

1 hour ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

The only thing is that there are only so many figures that make sense for the set unless they make it a LOTR plus The Hobbit set all in one

I don’t see why they wouldn’t do both series , especially as all the Harry Potter D2Cs and a few of the Star Wars ones do. 

26 minutes ago, TheKingPorg said:

I don’t see why they wouldn’t do both series , especially as all the Harry Potter D2Cs and a few of the Star Wars ones do. 

It’s possible but I’m doubtful. I do think part of the reason for the failure of the theme last time around was the poor reception The Hobbit films

On 11/26/2022 at 10:29 AM, Moexy said:

Rumours on instagram is that the set is Rivendell (probably including minifigures) for $500 with a march release.  And I just started building LegoMocLoc’s Rivendell … :sceptic:

For what it's worth, that's (Rivendell) also what I heard from my sources and they haven't been wrong before. 

However, I don't know if it's systemscale or micro-scale. Normally I wouldn't even think of micro-scale, but since the Hogwarts Castle was micro-scale and earlier LOTR sets didn't sell too well I wouldn't rule it out. I probably think it has a bigger chance to be micro-scale as I think LEGO thinks that we (18+ AFOLs) would want that as a display piece, but that is just my opinion and based on nothing else. 

I have a feeling that it will be micro-scale … A systemscale Rivendell set for $500 will not do it justice. For that price though, a micro-scale could give us everything we need + some minifigures (like the Hogwarts Castle set). Do not get me wrong, I hope it is systemscale and it sets a precedence for more :moar: