Momotof

Lord of the Rings Ongoing Discussion

Finally seeing a physical LEGO Balrog will be bittersweet. While I‘d prefer a minifig-scale one, the Brickheadz set will do :laugh:

Excited to see where they‘re going with this! Can’t overstate how surreal and mindblowing it is to me to have new LOTR, Harry Potter, and Indiana Jones sets in the same year. All my favourite themes that aren’t Star Wars! It‘s like having Christmas, Easter and one’s birthday on the same day :wub:

can someone recap the rumored sets to me? im aware of the brickheadz but dont remember if there is anything else. also, do we know if hobbit stuff is included or its just lotr? thanks!

6 hours ago, Surge said:

can someone recap the rumored sets to me? im aware of the brickheadz but dont remember if there is anything else. also, do we know if hobbit stuff is included or its just lotr? thanks!

Other than the brickheadz all we know of is a $500ish D2C set, we don't know if anymore is coming and we don't know what the D2C set will depict.

I'm hoping for either a Mordor set ( with a 3000ish part Barad-dûr as the centrepiece but also featuring the black gate and part of mount Doom, with minifigs for all the fellowship (except Boromir obvs), gollum, Sauron, Isildur, younger Elrond and plenty of orcs, and maybe some Gondor and Rohan soldiers and characters too) or a hobbiton set, with a big bag End and the garden where Bilbo has his 111st birthday party, coming with all the dwarves and young Bilbo from the hobbit, plus plenty of named hobbits, gandalf and some ringwraiths). Lots of people want it to Minas Tirith which I think is less likely due to relative iconictcy but I'd still love for it happen and it's a dead cert if we do get a proper long running theme. 

On 10/30/2022 at 11:37 AM, Agent Kallus said:

Other than the brickheadz all we know of is a $500ish D2C set, we don't know if anymore is coming and we don't know what the D2C set will depict.

I'm hoping for either a Mordor set ( with a 3000ish part Barad-dûr as the centrepiece but also featuring the black gate and part of mount Doom, with minifigs for all the fellowship (except Boromir obvs), gollum, Sauron, Isildur, younger Elrond and plenty of orcs, and maybe some Gondor and Rohan soldiers and characters too) or a hobbiton set, with a big bag End and the garden where Bilbo has his 111st birthday party, coming with all the dwarves and young Bilbo from the hobbit, plus plenty of named hobbits, gandalf and some ringwraiths). Lots of people want it to Minas Tirith which I think is less likely due to relative iconictcy but I'd still love for it happen and it's a dead cert if we do get a proper long running theme. 

Barad-dûr would be nice, but I doubt they go for a second huge black tower after Orthanc. As for the black gate, we already have it as a set, or rather half a set - I had to buy two 79007 to make a full one :-)

Edited by Altair1

When do y'all think we will start seeing leaks for these sets? I just noticed that leaks for avatar and (i think) a couple other themes just came out. 

7 minutes ago, DocStrange said:

When do y'all think we will start seeing leaks for these sets? I just noticed that leaks for avatar and (i think) a couple other themes just came out. 

For D2C, much later than regular retail.

There is a new mould of a shooting bow and arrow introduced with the latest wave of Avatar sets. The bow design itself is not license specific and matches the design of the existing elvish bow, so does anyone else think they invested in this mould with Legolas in mind for the future? 

LEGO-Avatar-Crossbow-1.png

Flick arrows, just what we need! Kids will love it of course, but I think I'll stick to static bow and arrows. I would have preferred an arrow-less bow that matches the current bow and arrow.

I imagine it will get used for many archers in future, not necessarily for Legolas or other licensed elves. Just like the equivalent stud shooter has become a staple of just about every theme from Star Wars to Friends. I think most adults tend to prefer the SW blasters over the stud shooters for SW displays, but they are easy enough to replace so long as both are produced.

3 hours ago, MAB said:

Flick arrows, just what we need! Kids will love it of course, but I think I'll stick to static bow and arrows. I would have preferred an arrow-less bow that matches the current bow and arrow.

My thoughts as well. 

Eh what other theme would want medieval style bows? If it was just for avatar it'd be less ornate more rustic. If it was just for Hawkeye it'd be more modern. But it's not the sort of part I'd expect for a D2C or brickheadz so if it were to be used in LotR it'd be in system sets. We don't have system sets confirmed but this suggests that they might be coming.

5 hours ago, MAB said:

I think most adults tend to prefer the SW blasters over the stud shooters for SW displays, but they are easy enough to replace so long as both are produced.

And luckily, the handheld stud shooters seem to be a thing of the past for SW now.

37 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

Eh what other theme would want medieval style bows? If it was just for avatar it'd be less ornate more rustic. If it was just for Hawkeye it'd be more modern. But it's not the sort of part I'd expect for a D2C or brickheadz so if it were to be used in LotR it'd be in system sets. We don't have system sets confirmed but this suggests that they might be coming.

100% agree, they wouldn't use this in a D2C. I don't think it necessarily is huge evidence towards system sets, could just be they want to use it for both avatar and hawkeye/green arrow (though I feel like a DC set containing a hero besides batman might be more shocking news than LOTR system sets at this point), but it's definately something that they would use in system sets were LOTR system sets coming. My guess is 2023 is just brickheadz and a D2C, before 2024 hits us with the full wave.

It's a shame that it's not just a new mold for bow without the gimmick - like the relatively new SW Bowcaster, it would have been better if it was just a molded weapon with no playfeature. 

Still, cool little piece. 

There is s new Ninjago dragon for 35€. It has a new mould for horns... Those in black would be the perfect ones for a Balrog.... if they made the jaw piece black  they could use the dragon head, too. It makes me quite optimistic.

Just popping in and doing my monthly LOTR Lego news check!

On 11/9/2022 at 3:12 PM, Mandalorianknight said:

100% agree, they wouldn't use this in a D2C. I don't think it necessarily is huge evidence towards system sets, could just be they want to use it for both avatar and hawkeye/green arrow (though I feel like a DC set containing a hero besides batman might be more shocking news than LOTR system sets at this point), but it's definately something that they would use in system sets were LOTR system sets coming. My guess is 2023 is just brickheadz and a D2C, before 2024 hits us with the full wave.

I agree, I think it's a step in the right direction for the future of the theme. 

On 11/15/2022 at 10:53 AM, Gorilla94 said:

There is s new Ninjago dragon for 35€. It has a new mould for horns... Those in black would be the perfect ones for a Balrog.... if they made the jaw piece black  they could use the dragon head, too. It makes me quite optimistic.

Certainly is an interesting new piece that seems somewhat unnecessary, especially in a Ninjago set...

I'm leaning towards a series of vignettes that connect together to show the journey of the fellowship (similar to the recent Star Wars ones).
For $500 you could easily have the entire trilogy represented by key scenes or maybe larger scenes of just the Fellowship of the Ring key scenes.

I'd prefer a playset; but i'll take minifig scale vignettes over a microscale model or some full size helmet or sword!

9 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

I'm leaning towards a series of vignettes that connect together to show the journey of the fellowship (similar to the recent Star Wars ones).
For $500 you could easily have the entire trilogy represented by key scenes or maybe larger scenes of just the Fellowship of the Ring key scenes.

Omg a series of vignettes of one or all the films would be amazing if done well. It also increases the chance of filling in the current gaps we have in terms of minifigure representations of the characters.

I do think it’s less likely than having a single large build. My absolute nightmare would be a large helmet or sword. I hope that whatever it turns out to be it will be minifigure scale. 

Although I am still hoping for a big Minas Tirith set, I would love a giant map of Middle Earth covered with microscale versions of all the main LOTR locations :-)

4 hours ago, Altair1 said:

Although I am still hoping for a big Minas Tirith set, I would love a giant map of Middle Earth covered with microscale versions of all the main LOTR locations :-)

Check out „legomocloc“, he is about to Release instructions for that. Preview is on his instagram. 

You know, I'd hazard a fairly reasonable guess that if there is a D2C coming, it certainly isn't going to be coming out until at least May or so. Unless Lego is going nuts about keeping this secretive, I'd assume we would have information about it coming in January or February, or at least a tiny bit more knowledge about what's going on if it were after that. Then again, maybe I'm entirely wrong and we're just in that leak drought time of the year.

7 hours ago, Altair1 said:

Both would be awesome D2Cs. I've been rereading the trilogy right now and there aren't many locations that just stick out to me as single $500 sets besides Gondor. Places like Moria, Helm's Deep, and Lothlorien would be excellent sets, but I couldn't see them doing $500. So I think there is a chance that it's something like what others have said, a series of dioramas of the locations.

1 hour ago, Brickroll said:

You know, I'd hazard a fairly reasonable guess that if there is a D2C coming, it certainly isn't going to be coming out until at least May or so. Unless Lego is going nuts about keeping this secretive, I'd assume we would have information about it coming in January or February, or at least a tiny bit more knowledge about what's going on if it were after that. Then again, maybe I'm entirely wrong and we're just in that leak drought time of the year.

Lego's good at keeping some things secret. Star Wars D2Cs can be secret until just a month or so before release (And then sometimes we hear about the landspeeder just absurdly long before it releases).

That said, it could still totally be may, but I wouldn't be surprised with something like a March release.

On 11/20/2022 at 6:57 PM, Mandalorianknight said:

Lego's good at keeping some things secret. Star Wars D2Cs can be secret until just a month or so before release (And then sometimes we hear about the landspeeder just absurdly long before it releases).

That said, it could still totally be may, but I wouldn't be surprised with something like a March release.

For some reason I've been assuming the D2C would be a fall release. I could see it being the big Black Friday set next year, with no huge Icons landmark buildings or other huge licensed D2Cs rumored yet. March or May would be great, though. The sooner we get to see this the better.

Would we know about it already if it was that far off?

1 hour ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

For some reason I've been assuming the D2C would be a fall release. 

@Wardancer I’m dying to build his Lothlorien UCS, I keep buying bits here and there, but keep holding off buying everything until we find out whats coming next year 😂

23 minutes ago, Jarreth2 said:

@Wardancer I’m dying to build his Lothlorien UCS, I keep buying bits here and there, but keep holding off buying everything until we find out whats coming next year 😂

😀 One of my life goals is to build his UCS Rivendell and improve it a little in my own style. Time will tell if an official set interferes with that.

4 minutes ago, Wardancer said:

😀 One of my life goals is to build his UCS Rivendell and improve it a little in my own style. Time will tell if an official set interferes with that.

Yeah it’s stunningly beautiful, I don’t think I could display it anywhere though .. or afford to build it in the first place 😂 I’ve started thinking of a few alterations to Lothlorien .. but we’ll see 👍🏼