Momotof

Lord of the Rings Ongoing Discussion

I hated the idea of micro scale when the rumors of Hogwarts were circulating. But it was executed so well and is a beautiful set. I think several LOTR locations would lend themselves well to that style of D2C. I’d be fine with that as long as we got system scale playset versions of them as well, just like we did with Hogwarts 

The Disney castle (currently $350) makes me think a minifig compatible Minas Tirith can be done fairly well at a $500 price point. Of course it wouldn't have all 7 layers, but I think as few as 3 could get the idea across. Besides, we don't know for sure if this is $530 like the Razor Crest was rumored to be before its price hike to $600. 

I would bet it’s Minas Tirith; a big Minifigure play set. It’s the best choice I think for a D2C:

-it’s instantly recognisable as a LotR city location, great for shop windows and magazine covers, starts the theme resurgence with a bang. 

-it’s visually distinct from the other large castle set on the market (different colour and shape) as well as any other castle they have made before. 

-the physical shape lends itself to a ‘dollhouse’ structure with an open back with rooms inside 

- it’s a fan favourite and long desired by those who collected the original range, so it’s going to be popular with new collectors and old, much better than remaking something we already got before. 

-there would naturally be lots of different Minifigures including some named characters which have not been made yet

-it can work as a display model like a supersize architecture build and also as a playable set with working catapults, opening front gate, interior  rooms for posing figures etc 

-the set doesn’t need necessarily  any new elements other than a Gondor helmet, and not many recolours either I imagine or even stickers (nothing like as many as Diagon Alley). So we could end up with great value for money with a high bulk of simple common white bricks subsidising some well detailed figures, and if we are very lucky: a recolour of the troll! 

Im still impressed with this old ideas set, it’s vey well balanced between accuracy and economy, realistic for a boxed set. I can imagine a €500 version being even bigger and more detailed. 

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/c8ea2aec-39a3-426e-9951-8fee9a759e67/comments_tab

The city in the film has 7 layers I think, I think they can simplify it and do just 5 and furthermore two of them being faux: just make the middle wall modules stepped on the outside and covered with micro buildings with some forced perspective going on. The interior then is Minifigure scaled; same technique as the Disney castle or the 2018-2020 Hogwarts system sets, or big ships like Star Destroyers etc 

Edited by Bugbot20082

@Bugbot20082, I fully agree with your analysis. If this D2C set is confirmed, it will most likely be Minas Tirith, for all the reasons you mentioned. I just can't wait to add it to my LOTR display on a huge Middle-Earth map i had printed especially, together with all the existing sets (bought all of them as soon as they came out a decade ago). As for the BrickHeadz sets, I will obviously ignore them as usual, ugly and useless as they are (except for parts maybe).

7 hours ago, Bugbot20082 said:

Im still impressed with this old ideas set, it’s vey well balanced between accuracy and economy, realistic for a boxed set. I can imagine a €500 version being even bigger and more detailed. 

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/c8ea2aec-39a3-426e-9951-8fee9a759e67/comments_tab

Theres no info on the total number of bricks used in this Ideas set. It does seem a little simple and squat compared to a 5-6 hundred set. Its a good set and for 199-250 i would have bought this. Your suggestion of 5 levels would make this the right height.

Edited by natesroom

On 10/5/2022 at 2:02 PM, NDLG80 said:

I'm eagerly anticipating more news on the rumoured D2C set (not that I can afford it), but deep down holding out hope that we will get a range of new regular sets, this is my wishlist and potentially not too far fetched in regards to set sizes...

7) New moulded or partially brickbuilt Fellbeast with Witch King, Frodo & Sam

I wouldn't have a problem with a partially brick built Fell Beast. They've come a long way with their buildable creatures since the original line ended and even reusing the head and neck of the Basilisk could work quite well on it.

Can't have a Witch-King set without Eowyn and Merry though. Considering she'll be back in War of the Rohirrim next year and the CMF Viking helm being a perfect match to her armored costume it would be a shame if they skipped over her again.

8 hours ago, LegoAUT said:

How on earth can this be 4k pieces??

Can't find the full original LDD, the updated one where I removed Grond, all minifigs, accessories and horses has 3752 pieces.

I have hopes for a wave of system sets too (don’t we all!)

I think they could tribute the theme and fill in all the biggest gaps from the original run with one solid wave of about 4-5 sets of new creatures and locations and a single CMF series of 12. Then if sales are good they can do remakes of the old line in the subsequent year. 

I just had the idea of a brick built Fellbeast set in the style of the flapping Hedwig & Horntail dragon sets from Harry Potter: large fabric wings, the new creature tail and curved neck in black, on the base stand is Gollum, Frodo & Sam under a bush, that would look so cool! 

Edited by Bugbot20082

I almost wonder... we know they aren't doing a full wave for this theme right off the bat, just starting out with the brickheadz and D2C. We also know they want to make lego DnD in some form, and the ideas contest description seems to imply more DnD is potentially coming than just the ideas set. 

All this is to say, given the similarities between the two IPs... could they be setting them against eachother, sort of like the old spongebob/avatar thing they did in 2006, where they release a few sets for each theme and the better-selling one continues? I can't really see them putting both themes on shelves at the same time.

(Either way, I think and hope LOTR would win)

5 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I almost wonder... we know they aren't doing a full wave for this theme right off the bat, just starting out with the brickheadz and D2C. We also know they want to make lego DnD in some form, and the ideas contest description seems to imply more DnD is potentially coming than just the ideas set. 

All this is to say, given the similarities between the two IPs... could they be setting them against eachother, sort of like the old spongebob/avatar thing they did in 2006, where they release a few sets for each theme and the better-selling one continues? I can't really see them putting both themes on shelves at the same time.

(Either way, I think and hope LOTR would win)

I think you are thinking too much :-) In my opinion there are (unfortunately) no waves of sets coming, nor competition. There will be one DnD set, and one LOTR set - hopefully Minas Tirith (I don't count the brickeadz, just because they don't count). I would love to be wrong, but that's most likely all, falks!

Edited by Altair1

Fascinating that this theme might be making a comeback! 

I'm not really into BrickHeadz, so I probably wouldn't pick up any of those. I think location miniatures could be really cool for this theme--and they could still throw in a few minifigures for display purposes. 

Of course, I'd love to see them give LOTR the Harry Potter treatment with brand new minifig-scale sets and a bunch of new molds. I loved the Lego LOTR video game back in the day, and there are a number of minifigures I would love to get in physical form (Eowyn! The Witch King! Gondorian Soldiers!)

I haven't watched Rings of Power yet, so I have zero opinion on whether or not it would work well for LEGO sets. I *do* want to see the show--I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

2 hours ago, jjr_2009 said:

I think location miniatures could be really cool for this theme--and they could still throw in a few minifigures for display purposes.

You mean like the trash compactor display model from Star wars? That could work - especially if the ones for lotr would also have printed arms and so on.

I still think either Hobbiton or Barad-dûr ( which could come with some other modor feature like a scaled down mount Doom, black gate and shelob cave) are more likely than Minas Tirith, they are definitely more iconic.

1 hour ago, Agent Kallus said:

I still think either Hobbiton or Barad-dûr ( which could come with some other modor feature like a scaled down mount Doom, black gate and shelob cave) are more likely than Minas Tirith, they are definitely more iconic.

Maybe they are as iconic as Minas Tirith, but not more in my opinion. And besides I believe they are much less likely to be chosen for the D2C set, given that we already had Bag End as a set (which is the most representative part of Hobbiton) and Orthanc tower (so they would probably not choose to make a second dark tower).

1 hour ago, Altair1 said:

Maybe they are as iconic as Minas Tirith, but not more in my opinion. And besides I believe they are much less likely to be chosen for the D2C set, given that we already had Bag End as a set (which is the most representative part of Hobbiton) and Orthanc tower (so they would probably not choose to make a second dark tower).

I'm not entirely sure about that. Given that the theme ended nearly 10 years ago, I don't think it is entirely fair to say that they would not do remakes of old sets, especially considering the aftermarket prices. Sure, if it is only one D2C, they might choose something they haven't done before, but I really doubt it would be just one set and then they call it done.

If I were a betting man I'd say it'll be Bag End, which would be disappointing IMO (no castle potential there). Its a small location so they can get super detailed on it, it has most of the key characters, and its a bright/colorful/cheerful place which I could see TLG viewing as more marketable. And $500 puts it at the same price point as Hogwarts Express or the Colosseum, so minifig scale would mean it has to be a relatively small scene, and I *really* hope they don't do micro scale.

Weathertop or the Prancing Pony would be great minifig scale ideas at that price point, but not quite as well known so probably unlikely.

For me there are only a few serious possibilities.

1. Bag End: The place is undoubtedly the most iconic and it also brings together Hobbit fans since the place is present, at least indirectly, in all 6 films. In view of the price, this would make it possible to have a complete and rich set, like the MBS series for Star Wars. With the characters Bilbo (old and young), Frodo, Gandalf, and all the dwarves of Thorin's company?

2. An emblematic scene from the saga that brings together as many characters as possible from the community: Balin's Tomb seems ideal but has already been done as a playset, but so is Bag End after all.
The confrontation with the Balrog in the Mines of Moria would be more likely. This would make it possible to obtain the entire Fellowship of the Ring, a very good idea for a large set supposed to celebrate the saga. And it would give the opportunity to have a very precise and detailed Balrog. Also included: pieces of buildings, goblins.

3. Minas Tirith: In microscale or related version. With a small selection of exclusive figurines (Gondor in particular) as for the UCS from Star Wars.

Prancing Pony is Probably close to in notoriety to the LOTR group, but not as recognizable to the layman who only ever watched the movies. The entrance to the Mines of Moria is also highly recognizable.

Edited by natesroom

6 hours ago, natesroom said:

Prancing Pony is Probably close to in notoriety to the LOTR group, but not as recognizable to the layman who only ever watched the movies. The entrance to the Mines of Moria is also highly recognizable.

Brick built Doors of Durin would be really cool. Of course they would probably be covered in stickers. Oh well. I’ll take it!

Imagine a huge Moria set complete with the Doors of Durin, Watcher in the Water, Mithril mine, Chamber of Mazarbul, stairs, Bridge of Khazad-Dûm, Balrog, and the East Gate. With all Fellowship members, Cave Troll, and a bunch of Orcs

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

Although I'd love minifig scale Helm's Deep and Minas Tirith, I don't think they would serve as great standalone pieces if this D2C is the only set we get. The main reason is these sets would work well with additional packs to expand armies and heroes. 

Figures at Helm's Deep are Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Gandalf, Theoden, Eomer, Eowyn, and Haldir as well as lots of Rohirrim, Elves and Uruks. 

For Minas Tirith there is Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Gandalf, Merry, Pippin, Theoden, Eomer, Eowyn, Faramir, Denethor, Gothmog, and the Witch King as well as lots of Gondorians, Rohirrim, Orcs, Haradrim, Mumakil, and Oath breakers. Frodo, Sam, Elrond, Arwen and Boromir also make small appearances here. 

The most minifigures ever in a set is 25. You may be able to make that work with Helm's Deep, but the armies would be quite small, almost impossible to get a satisfactory line up for Minas Tirith. 

They also miss out two of the key characters in Frodo and Sam. 

The most likely film the set is based on I would guess at FOTR, as Gandalf the Grey and Boromir seem more iconic than Gandalf the White and the Rohan/Gondor characters introduced in TTT and ROTK. 

Bag End, with the four main Hobbits, Bilbo and Gandalf would be lovely, but apart from a few other Hobbits (Rosie Cotton, the Proudfoots, Farmer Maggot etc) the minifigure line up isn't the most thrilling. 

Rivendell with the whole Fellowship, Elrond, Arwen and Bilbo would be amazing. 

Moria with the Fellowship, Goblins, Cave Troll and the Watcher/Balrog would be good, however its a much gloomier location and rather than being based on a small village its a whole country, so would probably be much more of an 'Assault on Hoth' layout. 

1 hour ago, Seaber said:

Rivendell with the whole Fellowship, Elrond, Arwen and Bilbo would be amazing. 

I have the existing minifigs and expanded the original Council of Elrond set, so I'd probably skip it if redone. If they did other sets alongside I might buy in again, but a one off repeat is of no interest to me. It will be a difficult balancing job if they decide on just one big set.