Momotof

Lord of the Rings Ongoing Discussion

i dont link brickheadz and i cant waste my money on that. Maybe i could buy and save them for years but i dont think they will have a very good ROI

24 minutes ago, sebastian666 said:

Whatever it is, I hope it’s something minifig scale and not some collection of “iconic” items like Bilbo’s book, Sting, the light of Elendil, and the One Ring… Although now that I’ve typed that out, I don’t think I would hate it. 

Yeah, I probably would not get that either, but of all themes, LotR is probably the most focused on "items," and it would work better than most of the other current licensed themes.

I don't know about that Balrog set. It would of course be cool, but I don't think it could probably go for more than 150$ unless there are a ton of rock pieces. 

I was sort of thinking that a Minas Tirith in the scale of the 2019 Hogwarts set would be possible actually, or something else microscale. I would of course prefer minifig scale, but I would probably still get that. Then again, other than an icons collection, I would be interested in most D2Cs for the theme. 

The Balrog scene is pretty much one of the only notable scenes that could technically include the entire Fellowship in one set, other than another Moria set or Rivendell.  That said, if LEGO makes more sets besides the D2C, they'll probably want to split up the Fellowship between multiple sets instead.

Hmm, mixed feeling about this. 

On the one hand, LoTR == awesome.

On the other, brickheadz… and the fact I’ve not been too sad that there’s been no new Castle theme. The blacksmith, 3-in-1 and Lions Knights castle came along just as I’ve been picking up some of the earlier themes and my wallet is very sad right now. 

I’m already invested in Harry Potter, but the Lord of the Rings & Hobbit  theme took me out my dark ages 10 years ago and I still have my old MOC’s In the cupboard, if the D2C is true and Minifigure scale and for example the white city then it might be the first D2C I have ever purchased! 

I imagine Rings of Power coming out has brought LOTR to mind again, much like Indy 5 and Fantatic Beasts have done to classic IJ and Harry Potter. 

Big pinch of salt of course, there could be a mistake with the D2C being based on Tolkien and nothing more will happen apart from the Brickheads. 

Three things I think will happen if it is real though:

1. I think Bag End or Rivendell are most likely settings if it is based on locations from the movies. They are recognisable locations which appear in more than one film and feature lots of hero characters. Others like Helm's Deep and Minas Tirith are heavily skewed towards armies, and others like Orthanc feature very few major characters. Bag End and Rivendell also feature all five major Hobbits and Gandalf. 

2. The Hobbit will probably get very little recognition, Rings of Power will get none at all. 

3. Gandalf getting a new hat and hair mold, and possibly Narsil/Anduril will be the only new molds if it is Bag End/Rivendell. There are several LOTR minifigures and their accessories who are a bit out of date now (Legolas without a quiver, Gimli's axe, Gandalf's staff), but overall still fairly decent. 

If this is the start of new waves of LOTR sets to come, I will be delighted. I think it's silly to say wishlists of sets and things like that as it's still too early to know what this line will look like, but I think a 12 figure CMF alongside sets would be fantastic, and like Harry Potter could easily have a series 2.

For example, Frodo and Sam in Orc Armour, Coronation Aragorn and Knight Faramir require new molds and are not featured too often so would be great additions to a CMF, as well as characters with many outfits like Arwen, Elrond and Eowyn. 

I may well buy my first ever brickheads to help support this fledgling theme. Hopefully the D2C isn't micro scale or items, but even so I would almost certainly get those too. 

5 hours ago, sebastian666 said:

Same. I hope anyone who wants to see LEGO LOTR return in full force will also pick these sets up. Let’s show LEGO that LOTR fans are ride or die for this theme. 

I consider myself a LOTR fan (I have all the previous sets, including extra sealed boxes of most of them) and want to see minifig based LOTR sets return but I probably won't be buying the brickheadz, at least not until i see them. I buy sets I want and not because of an assumption that if I buy something I don't want they might make something very different that I do want. 

On 9/25/2022 at 10:30 PM, azog said:

I can almost guarantee with an 70-80% chance that it's going to be a minifigure scaled Bag-End. (I have no info I'm just assuming just to be clear). This would make the most sense

! Sadly the 2nd highest chance would be a remake of the Tower of Orthanc. We already saw them do this with the Dark Knight trilogy Tumbler that re-released earlier this year with minor upgrades. It would be the lazy approach but Lego does know it would sell well. Let's hope for Bag-End!

I still think Barad Dur makes more sense than a redone Orthanc (Though I don't have the original so I'd definitely still be happy about it), the Eye of sauron and by extension it's tower are much more iconic, they could even make it into a 'Mordor' set boosting it from a £250 set to a £400 set with a scaled down black gate, cliffs with a shelob cave and a mount doom. Also that way we could get all of the fellowship (except boromir) in the one set, throw in plenty of orcs (say 15 it would be a big set after all), the mouth of sauron, a couple eagles, gollum and we could have 3 more figs for a prologue scene with Elrond, Islidur and a Sauron using the Avatar torso and legs. and boom a set for the ages. Maybe add a horse or 2 as well.

Sorry not sorry for plugging my own MOCs but I imagine the brickheadz will look something like this (except with different pairings and a balrog instead of shelob)

34849909223_585d1005e9.jpg36053119056_147e6a9296.jpg

Edited by Agent Kallus

13 hours ago, spiderfan2000 said:

Now that the Avatar sets are reintroducing long arms and legs for minifigures, I wonder if those could be used for a Sauron minifigure...

That would be interesting to see thi. I dunno about bigfig. 

16 minutes ago, Vitruvius said:

Just imagine a Diorama Series from LOTR... That would be amazing.

It would be a dream come true...

The issue with LOTR is that it has so many huge set location set pieces. If LEGO would release LOTR diorama's of say a piece of a wall of Helms Deep or a gate of Minas Tirith it may not be all that interesting for casual consumers.

23 minutes ago, Vitruvius said:

Just imagine a Diorama Series from LOTR... That would be amazing.

I'd prefer they didn't go down that route. There are a couple of things I don't like about the SW dioramas. First, they are different scales - so Luke on Dagobah and the Trash Compactor are minifig based, whereas the Trench Run is microscale. But more importantly, they are so expensive for their size mainly due to parts lost to the bases.

£26 (2018-19) vs £80 (2022). For the same price, I think I'd prefer three different small sets to one (more set (more detailed, with a base) on the same scale.

75208-1.jpg?20180307125675330_alt2.jpg

Especially with the number of characters in LOTR, if they are going to do a full theme then getting smaller less expensive sets with 3-4 characters in each is preferable to me. The SW dioramas cost £220 for three, which gives you 3 locations and 9 minifigures. Alternatively you can buy 3 playsets with 3-4 figures in each for £100-120.

I think Bag End is probably the most likely first D2C, as it is in both the Hobbit and LOTR, and could include many characters from both movies… I think another relatively likely option could be Minas Tirith, as it is arguably the main location we have not gotten a set of before, and surely one that would sell well. I would be happy with really anything, but these are just my ideas.

Releasing the two brickheadz and a D2C makes a lot of sense. I believe the mistake LEGO made in 2012 was releasing a theme with many sets, many which were relatively small. Such a wide release of a theme presupposes that kids are well into the theme as well, but not many kids are into LOTR, compared to say Star Wars, Harry Potter. An 18+ D2C aimed at adults will sell very well, in my opinion, provided that the set is well executed. 

Edited by Bainter-ban

I have to agree with above, the movies are “old” now, and the nee show isn’t really marketed towards kids. My money says this is an Icons type release and not a full blown theme.

I simply don‘t get brick heads or the appeal of them to some people.. to me these are the most useless sets ever. 

48 minutes ago, woodford86 said:

I have to agree with above, the movies are “old” now, and the nee show isn’t really marketed towards kids. My money says this is an Icons type release and not a full blown theme.

The thing is ... adults can enjoy minifigure based themes and sets too. If they do a display piece like the HP Icons set or an art set, I'm out. If they do more like the Hogwarts Express, I'm in.

Although it wouldn't surprise me if they do a buildable There and Back Again book with an extra tile to add Lord of The Rings to the cover, the ring, a buildable Sting, and so on.

Edited by MAB

1 hour ago, woodford86 said:

The LOTR movies aged quite well honestly, but I'm sentimental. Anyhow look how much Lego invests into the Avatar theme (expensive license, new moulds, two waves at least) which clearly can't be aimed for kids just because there'll be a new movie soon. The new classic Lions castle is also much too expensive for any kid or teen.

To buy the license just for some stupid 15$/20$ brickheadz would be ridiculous. Fantasy and castle fans are practically willing to spend any amount of money on a decent theme. I'm pretty certain Lego will make some 2-3 sets based on the movies first and with the second season of TROP we'll get some of the new stuff.

3 hours ago, woodford86 said:

I disagree. LEGO is not going to make a significant financial investment to renew a licensing agreement with one of the most highly guarded licensing properties in history - LOTR - just to produce a couple random Brickheadz. They would not see a return on that investment. I have a feeling that the Brickheadz are just a teaser before a full return of the theme next fall. This feels very similar to the return of the Harry Potter theme, which was sparked by the new Fantastic Beasts films. Now that Rings of Power has debuted, it seems like the perfect time to bring this theme back for the fans.