Momotof

Lord of the Rings Ongoing Discussion

It begins...(again)

I won't be complaining if Bag End is a D2C, considering the old set is practically going for D2C prices currently anyways.

LOTR has great potential for D2C sets overall, considering how many notable massive locations there are (The two towers, Rivendell, Helm's Deep, Minas Tirith) that standard sets can't really do justice to.  

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to some representation for the Hobbit too, as many of those old sets had a lot of room for improvement, especially with the Battle of the Five Armies wave.

9 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I was looking for this thread in the licensed forum....

"Historic Theme" is not the vibe that I get from LoTR 

Same! 

HOLY SH*T!

It's actually happening!!!

I'd be willing to bet actual money that Aaron Newman is on the design team. I mean, it would be a massive waste of talent if he's not and instead really just working on CITY.

Personally I'm just hoping to complete my Fellowship. I have two Frodos, two Gandalfs without hats, one Gimli, and one Samwise. Including shipping it would be at least 150 bucks to get the rest.

Edited by Alegrispa

If there is a D2C set based on the movies, I'd hope for Minas Tirith either with a Witch King or a coronation of Aragorn. Although without a theme I cannot really see how they'd do even the main characters again that they have already done in the past, let alone introduce new ones they missed.

As for the brickheadz,  no interest from me. 

8 hours ago, DocStrange said:

I am so hoping for either Bag End, Helm's Deep, Tower of Orthanc or Barad Dur!

Got, got, got, need.

As exciting as it is, I don't want to get carried away, because it could just be BrickHeadz. Promobricks thinks it might happen, but when D2Cs are that vague, they can be easily confused. And if it does happen, it's only one. That said, I'd be happy with any of the suggestions above, but Bag End or Barad Dur would be my favourites. I hope they don't do a $200 buildable ring of power!

Hm... To be honest all I want by now is Boromir with dual moulded and printed arms, dual moulded legs for the hobbits like Dobby got them, and Faramir. Pretty much verything else was done by other customisers or I managed to do it myself. Sadly no 3rd party printing service can do metal colours and Koruit/Xinh focus on army builders so they will most likely never do the fellowship.

LOTR coming back is fantastic news! Between this and the return of Indiana Jones we're really getting spoiled next year. A potential D2C set especially sounds exciting. Bag End, Minas Tirith or Barad Dur would be my top choices but honestly I'd be happy with anything.

Shame there won't be any regular sets in the first half of the year but Promobricks doesn't mention if that's also the case for the second half. Fingers crossed we'll see a proper wave of sets before the year's end. It would be nice to get updated versions of the complete Fellowship with more modern parts, printing and dual molding. I also hope any missing characters like Eowyn, Faramir and Witch-King get introduced fairly early on rather than risk being omitted from the line a second time.

One thing I think would be great for a LOTR reboot are those quote dioramas from the Star Wars and Jurassic Park lines. The Balrog and Witch-King duels would be perfect for that style of set.

14 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I was looking for this thread in the licensed forum....

"Historic Theme" is not the vibe that I get from LoTR 

It was decided way back when (I think correctly) that the Venn diagram showed more overlap in historic themes than it did for the normal licensed audience. 

My money is that whatever they (maybe) give us as a D2C will be something that ties into the movies and TV show. I haven't watched the show yet (no spoilers please!) but AFAIK Rivendell, Orthanc or Barad-Dur are the only three locations that exist in both ages? Maybe Rivendell hasn't been built yet, I can't remember.

I just hope whatever it is, it has good carryover for classic castle builds as far as swords, torsos/legs, helmets etc go. Orcs and elves and all that never really had a place in my MOC's. I think the best chance for that would be something Gondor or Numenorian.

i wouldnt even mind a re-release of previous sets - i missed a few.  A Barad-Dur or a UCS helms deep would be phenomenal, because anyone with a previous helms deep, could probably easily modify it to expand the UCS set. It would be really cool for them to produce an instruction booklet for modifying the OG Helms Deep into expanding their (proposed idea) UCS version.

Edited by natesroom

Well, this is exciting! I hope that Lego actually does a good wave, and not just beickheadz… I got the Tower of Orthanc last year and really enjoyed it, I agree that there is very large potential for D2Cs, hopefully we see some of them!

13 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I'd hazard a guess it was my wallet's soul. It's crying right now as it chants in latin. Please sent help.

My wallet is currently singing "Sympathy for the Devil" in Latin while playing a golden fiddle and sitting in the center of a funny-looking circle / star thing...

It's honestly amazing, because I didn't know my wallet could carry a tune.

In all seriousness though, can't wait for 2023!

Edited by Murdoch17

I'm lucky enough to have the old Helm's Deep, so I would love to see some locations that haven't gotten a set yet, like Minas Tirith. I think Barad Dur is at the top of my list though, it would be interesting to see what kind of interior Lego comes up with

I know it’s too early to speculate but I wonder if the third CMF series of 2023 would be LotR.

probably it’s unlikely but it’s just my wishful thought. 

18 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

*spits out drink*

LOTR and Indy are returning the same year?! What sorcery is this? Who sacrificed their soul for this to happen? :laugh_hard:

Right? Not only is it crazy that each of them are returning, but together in the same year means my Lego budget has to go up immensely.

Now if only they would revive TMNT...

BrickHeadz bore me, so that's a little unfortunate, but the fact that the license is revived is good news. Fingers crossed that more is coming.

1 hour ago, brimbolet said:

Hopefully Lego will make at least 3 different battle packs with plenty orcs, humans and dwarfs this time.

Heck, forget about what i said about CMF stuff. I think battle pac is much better!

2 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I don’t like Brickheadz. But I will buy several of each of these to support the theme and send the message that we want the theme to return for real

Same. I hope anyone who wants to see LEGO LOTR return in full force will also pick these sets up. Let’s show LEGO that LOTR fans are ride or die for this theme. 

If the D2C rumors are true, what do folks think are legitimate possibilities? It would have to be something iconic enough to justify a hefty price tag and to celebrate the return of the theme.

I highly doubt LEGO would give us two D2C Towers of Orthanc. And the Tower of Barad Dur looks too similar to Orthanc in my opinion.

My money is on a massive brick built Balrog facing off against the Fellowship on the Bridge of Khazad Dum. The Balrog has been featured quite a bit in the promotional materials for Rings of Power, so it would make sense to build off that hype. 

Whatever it is, I hope it’s something minifig scale and not some collection of “iconic” items like Bilbo’s book, Sting, the light of Elendil, and the One Ring… Although now that I’ve typed that out, I don’t think I would hate it.