Momotof

Lord of the Rings Ongoing Discussion

16 hours ago, Gorilla94 said:

I just found some videos about ripping models from Lego games... If that works for the hobbit it should be quite easy to make good 3d-printed versions of several important accessory pieces like Thrors Beard, many dwarfen weapons , which Lego never released (Filis swords for example) ... 

Oh wow, that's a huge potential resource for minis we never got.

One of the ones I really wanted Lego to make was Ursa Major.  He would be a great model for a 'Werebear' or Druid character.

Ursa_Major_lmsh_2.jpg

I always imagined a wildman/berserker faction under a 'Bear Clan'

Edited by Triceron

20 hours ago, Triceron said:

Oh wow, that's a huge potential resource for minis we never got.

One of the ones I really wanted Lego to make was Ursa Major.  He would be a great model for a 'Werebear' or Druid character.

Ursa_Major_lmsh_2.jpg

I always imagined a wildman/berserker faction under a 'Bear Clan'

That would be a cool figure indeed. Sadly I have doubts if the movable jaw would work with 3d printed parts. Painting a big fig with movable limbs perfectly clean would be a big challange, too. I am mostly hoping for accessory pieces like beards, weapons and so on, which work as 3d prints pretty fine.

I found a few sites with stls for Lego pieces including the old castle dwarf beards :) Smoothing and modifing those for example for Dain Ironfoot will work. If necessary I'll do the same for Thror, too, if ripping the model directly from the game won't work.

2 hours ago, Gorilla94 said:

That would be a cool figure indeed. Sadly I have doubts if the movable jaw would work with 3d printed parts. Painting a big fig with movable limbs perfectly clean would be a big challange, too. I am mostly hoping for accessory pieces like beards, weapons and so on, which work as 3d prints pretty fine.

I found a few sites with stls for Lego pieces including the old castle dwarf beards :) Smoothing and modifing those for example for Dain Ironfoot will work. If necessary I'll do the same for Thror, too, if ripping the model directly from the game won't work.

You would have to modify the models and print them out in pieces, just as lego does.  Cut out the right size holes so you can fit a peg in, etc.

Depending on the printer you have, you'd probably still need to put some work into it to polish it up and get all the pieces working together.  It's just a shame that this figure hasn't even been made into a custom fig by some knockoff brand.

On 3/22/2022 at 5:08 PM, Triceron said:

You would have to modify the models and print them out in pieces, just as lego does.  Cut out the right size holes so you can fit a peg in, etc.

Depending on the printer you have, you'd probably still need to put some work into it to polish it up and get all the pieces working together.  It's just a shame that this figure hasn't even been made into a custom fig by some knockoff brand.

What I worry about is the jaw hanging down loose or parts breaking, if I open or close it. Have to check how for example the wargs' jaws are constructed.

Maybe we get it at some point. I mean we got 3 dwarfen figure-packs as well as war boars and goat mounts now in a quite short period of time.

On 3/7/2022 at 4:27 AM, Remember said:

Unfortunately the Minas Tirith Idea set was rejected. No real suprise due to the piece count. 

Now to return to keeping a ear out to the leaks. Don’t think any of the current ones suggest the return of LOTR

Plot twist: it was rejected because they were already in the process of designing one.

/s :(

For Hobbit/LOTR the sets released before the movies. Given Amazon series starts in september we would have heard something by now i think. So no, no hope i guess. :)

First LOTR sets have been released 2012 so many many years after the first movie (2001)! So far as I can see no toy company offers sets for the upcoming TV series. Maybe everyone is waiting to see if the show is successful enough?

The trailers sure look promising and I certainly would like to see some troll/orcs, eleven & human battlepacks at some point in the future!

I meant before Hobbit movies. Obviously there would have been no LOTR sets without Hobbit movies and Hobbit sets...

12 hours ago, brimbolet said:

Maybe everyone is waiting to see if the show is successful enough?

If LEGO are doing that, given their lead times, they will be too late. In LEGO's case, they might have just decided it is not for kids or not enough adults will want it or possibly more likely given no other toy makers are doing it, Amazon don't want other companies profiting off their series, at least for the time being. I can understand them not wanting to reveal spoilers, plus their licensing costs might be very high given what Amazon are paying.

I'd love to see Lego do their take on the Nazgul's Felbeast.  Maybe even in the style of the latest Harry Potter flying creatures.  Always felt that was a missed opportunity.

It is notable that the War of the Rohirrim is still a couple years out, so they could be waiting for that. Probably easier to deal with them than Amazon. 

I'm quite enjoying the Amazon show. It's a real shame Lego didn't use as a backdoor for more sets. 

I don't hate the blue people avatar sets but I'm sure the Tolkien fanbase is much larger and the sets would sell better as well. 

I was only a kid when both the first avatar movie came out and when the first hobbit movie came out. And no one cares about Avatar ( well we cared about the airbender ) but lots of us cared about the Hobbit.

1 hour ago, Agent Kallus said:

I'm quite enjoying the Amazon show. It's a real shame Lego didn't use as a backdoor for more sets.

Well, the Amazon series is planned for 5 seasons so maybe LEGO will release sets down the line. I certainly hope so… Just imagine, Numenor & Khazad-dum battlepacks…

7 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

I was only a kid when both the first avatar movie came out and when the first hobbit movie came out. And no one cares about Avatar ( well we cared about the airbender ) but lots of us cared about the Hobbit.

It is still the biggest grossing movie ever, so presumably some people cared about it.

On 9/11/2022 at 7:16 AM, Agent Kallus said:

I don't hate the blue people avatar sets but I'm sure the Tolkien fanbase is much larger and the sets would sell better as well. 

They might still. I think it took Lego two whole years to reboot the HP them when Fantastic Beasts came out, and even then, the first wave was pretty clearly just testing the water. Now, it's in lego's highest selling themes and surely here to stay. Maybe they'll do the same with LotR?

I do hope that if they did reboot it, they didn't just focus on the two trilogies and the show, largely because I don't think that's sustainable. I know there are other themes with around that many films, but I get the feeling that unless they expand a fair bit into less popular stuff, this theme would start repeating immediately. 

10 hours ago, Brickroll said:

I do hope that if they did reboot it, they didn't just focus on the two trilogies and the show, largely because I don't think that's sustainable. I know there are other themes with around that many films, but I get the feeling that unless they expand a fair bit into less popular stuff, this theme would start repeating immediately. 

Even if (and it is a big if) they did sets for the Amazon series, I doubt they would be allowed to cover material done in the theatrical LOTR and Hobbit movies and also not material covered in books. Middle Earth licensing seems to be highly controlled and the Tolkien estate is not going to let the world's biggest toy company make toys based on its property without hefty royalties.

Actually New Line Cinema/Warner Brothers (LOTR movies) and MGM (Hobbit movies) are co-producers of the Amazon series. All slight changes and new characters have to be accepted by all parties involved.

Apparently the Embracer Group has secured the merchandising rights recently. So I keep my fingers crossed that Lego will reach out to them; the first episodes of the series are really entertaining (and far better than House of Dragons for example!)

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/lord-of-the-rings-the-rings-complicated-world-of-tolkien-posthumous-work/

https://movieweb.com/the-lord-of-the-rings-rights-purchased-new-owners-already-considering-spinoffs/

According to Promobricks, and in the form of two BrickHeadz sets:

40630: Frodo and Gollum
40631: 
Gandalf the Gray and the Balrog

And _possibly_ a large D2C set, but that was not 100% confirmed. 

I really hope the D2C rumour is true!

Holy moly :pir-wub: 

So far is brick heads and a D2C, what do we expect? Bag-End or the Barad Dur ( eye of sauron tower) are 2 most likely possiblitys to my guess.

15 minutes ago, Bainter-ban said:

I really hope the D2C rumour is true!

Me too! Spent the last couple of years picking up LOTR minifigs for a large scale moc and it's cost me a fortune!  With a bit of luck the D2C will a) be true and b) be Minas Tirith so we can get Orcs, Rohan soldiers, Gondorian soldiers, the Dead, the Witch king, Eowyn, Denethor and Faramir in one go!

I can dream, right?