Momotof

Lord of the Rings Ongoing Discussion

hobbits look much better with the small legs. I try to give mid sized legs to some dwarfs which makes a good distinction.

And curious question: why all the hate for the trailer? I rarely like any new "big" movies post '2010 so I'm always sceptical but how does the trailer give you negative vibes? It looks pretty much in style of LotR movies.

16 minutes ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

It looks pretty much in style of LotR movies.

I'd say it looks like The Hobbit and not Lord of the Rings. It's complicated to boil it down to a simple answer, but it just looks fake to me. Lord of the Rings just felt and looked real, whereas The Hobbit and Rings of Power rely way to much on CG for absolutely everything. Maybe I'm just getting to old or maybe I just love the trilogy to much, but it just doesn't work for me.

But hey this is ultimately about the LEGO sets which we might get and not about the movies/series. Sorry if I'm being overly negative. (I missed the original Lotr lego sets, which haunts me to this very day).

22 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Agreed with you on this new hood! Lord of the Rings need some new parts, like medium legs for Hobbits, new swords, hairpieces, whatever they need!

Yes. And dual molded legs for the hobbits would be nice too as we see that only in the video game.

16 hours ago, Sarophas said:

I'd say it looks like The Hobbit and not Lord of the Rings. It's complicated to boil it down to a simple answer, but it just looks fake to me. Lord of the Rings just felt and looked real, whereas The Hobbit and Rings of Power rely way to much on CG for absolutely everything. Maybe I'm just getting to old or maybe I just love the trilogy to much, but it just doesn't work for me.

But hey this is ultimately about the LEGO sets which we might get and not about the movies/series. Sorry if I'm being overly negative. (I missed the original Lotr lego sets, which haunts me to this very day).

oh but this is the case for every new blockbuster movie. Except for maybe some western there just isn't the will or budget anymore to go by plane to the moroccoan desert.

One can only hope that the directors and writers take their time, dont get any interference by higher ups about 500 changes for the trailer (like with the Hobbit..) and actors act like they are on a real set instead of a green screen.

1 hour ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

oh but this is the case for every new blockbuster movie.

The fact that everybody else does it too doesn't make it better. :) My hopes are very low considering what they did to Wheel of Time for which they also had much more source material to work with.

19 minutes ago, sahidko said:

The fact that everybody else does it too doesn't make it better. :) My hopes are very low considering what they did to Wheel of Time for which they also had much more source material to work with.

Doesn't make it better yes but every other blockbuster trailer is the same and yet I don't see a similar amount of negative reaction. Maybe this low quality is already established with other movies. Maybe the Hobbit was pissing people off somehow?

Just now, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

Doesn't make it better yes but every other blockbuster trailer is the same and yet I don't see a similar amount of negative reaction. Maybe this low quality is already established with other movies. Maybe the Hobbit was pissing people off somehow?

Not every other blockbuster trailer is based on something as big as Tolkien is in the fantasy world. And given Amazon trackrecord with Wheel of Time i believe part of the backlash is caused by the fact that for many people the trailer confirms that they can expect similar treatment for The Rings of Power. So the negativity is partially about the trailer and partially about what it probably represents for the whole series. Bit far stretched but that's my view on this.

Anyway i just hope if they do any LEGO sets based on the series that they will do also some sets for the original trilogy. That's the only thing i care about.

55 minutes ago, sahidko said:

Anyway i just hope if they do any LEGO sets based on the series that they will do also some sets for the original trilogy. That's the only thing i care about.

This. 

in case the Amazon show would suck and the only thing we get out of this are more LEGO LOTR / Middle-Earth sets, it will have been worth it. 

21 hours ago, sahidko said:

Not every other blockbuster trailer is based on something as big as Tolkien is in the fantasy world. And given Amazon trackrecord with Wheel of Time i believe part of the backlash is caused by the fact that for many people the trailer confirms that they can expect similar treatment for The Rings of Power. So the negativity is partially about the trailer and partially about what it probably represents for the whole series. Bit far stretched but that's my view on this.

bruh - I have read the Tolkien stuff like many others - but still this crowd wouldn't finance them expensive movies. The majority of consumers was never aware of any of Tolkiens writings.

If you know LotR you know how different the movies were and how characterless, arkless and stoic most of the protagonists of the books were (the books were still masterpieces in other regards of course). I remember some people complaining about Tom Bombardil missing back in the days - my god what a pointless character that was in the book even.

But no idea about the other things you mentioned. I just feel like let's see what they do, maybe it's not that bad, maybe it's even good. Probably not but one can give a chance instead of trashing for whatever reason (not talking about the civilized discourse here but the trolling campagne online).

40 minutes ago, TurinTheGreat said:

The coconut sets are quite expensive, wouldn't surprise me if they are indeed LotR, just a theory. 

Coconut is most likely Indy :classic: I don't see why the prices should factor in 

The main question to be raised for prices ($40/60/90/140 according to the Indiana Jones thread) is whether the theme's subject matter would allow for such prices to be reasonable (eg. Bionicle G2 stuck to <= $30 sets). In this case, I'm pretty sure the prices are a moot point because both Indy/LotR could be made to fit the price brackets (locations can be expensive).

7 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Coconut is most likely Indy :classic: I don't see why the prices should factor in 

I was thinking more beacuse then they could be all 18+ sets for LotR fans. Of course, they still could be Indy, but no way for Avatar 2, too expensive., 

2 hours ago, TurinTheGreat said:

I was thinking more beacuse then they could be all 18+ sets for LotR fans. Of course, they still could be Indy, but no way for Avatar 2, too expensive., 

Two of the sets are $40 and $60 respectively, doesn’t sound like potential 18+ sets to me :tongue: Besides, we‘ve never had a full wave of 18+ sets for any theme so far

While I personally think Coconut is Indy based on what the leakers have said, Avatar II can’t be ruled out. Seems like a pretty normal price range to me :shrug_oh_well:

Unfortunately the Minas Tirith Idea set was rejected. No real suprise due to the piece count. 

Now to return to keeping a ear out to the leaks. Don’t think any of the current ones suggest the return of LOTR

So no Lord of the Rings sets’ comeback then…. :(

It seems there is a new in-house theme. It’s rumored to be Mythica, just like theme from Legoland. I think they will be released in April. Still it’s shame no LorR sets yet. 

17 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Well that means I just continue buying the ridiculously expensive LOTR figures and sets from bricklink i guess. :D

On 3/7/2022 at 10:27 AM, Remember said:

Unfortunately the Minas Tirith Idea set was rejected. No real suprise due to the piece count. 

I imagine it is more down to it being Lord of The Rings rather than the piece count.

11 hours ago, sahidko said:

Well that means I just continue buying the ridiculously expensive LOTR figures and sets from bricklink i guess. :D

Sure you can do it! Your wallet will shriek in fear.

On 3/17/2022 at 10:22 AM, DBlegonerd7 said:

It seems there is a new in-house theme. It’s rumored to be Mythica, just like theme from Legoland. I think they will be released in April. Still it’s shame no LorR sets yet. 

Ooh, this sounds interesting to me.  I hope it's fantasy creature related.

But I have to say I'm probably more a minifig-scale creature collector than I am for any brick-built creature sets.  I do enjoy some of the Ninjago Dragons they've released over the years though.  Skull Dragon and Lloyd's Green Dragon from the movie are pretty awesome builds.

Edited by Triceron

I'm considering selling off most of my Middle Earth collection. It's almost complete minus Orthanc and the ship.

I'll be holding on to Moria, the Helms Deep sets and Bag End, but I think I'm going to let go of the rest of the LOTR and Hobbit stuff to free up some room. I haven't cataloged everything yet, so I haven't made a for sale thread, but maybe it helps to know it's coming? lol

I'll give y'all a heads up here first. 

7 hours ago, Triceron said:

Ooh, this sounds interesting to me.  I hope it's fantasy creature related.

But I have to say I'm probably more a minifig-scale creature collector than I am for any brick-built creature sets.  I do enjoy some of the Ninjago Dragons they've released over the years though.  Skull Dragon and Lloyd's Green Dragon from the movie are pretty awesome builds.

Yeah I’m not a fan of brick-buildable creatures either. I enjoy collecting any molded animal figures like lion, elephant, T-rex, etc. I dislike Harry Potter theme’s brick-buildable creatures like Basilisk or Hungarian Horntail.  I’m quite intereted in that new in-house theme. 

Anyways, I hope Lord of the Rings theme makes its comeback one day!

I just found some videos about ripping models from Lego games... If that works for the hobbit it should be quite easy to make good 3d-printed versions of several important accessory pieces like Thrors Beard, many dwarfen weapons , which Lego never released (Filis swords for example) ... 

Edited by Gorilla94

55 minutes ago, Gorilla94 said:

I just found some videos about ripping models from Lego games... If that works for the hobbit it should be quite easy to make good 3d-printed versions of several important accessory pieces like Thrors Beard, many dwarfen weapons , which Lego never released (Filis swords for example) ... 

Wow! I would love to be able to get the troll armor/helmet from Minas Tirith….so sad they never made the mold

7 hours ago, josebricks said:

Wow! I would love to be able to get the troll armor/helmet from Minas Tirith….so sad they never made the mold

That would be nice to get, indeed :)

The largest challange for this seems to be searching for the correct data, because they are not called "Thror.obj" or stuff like that, but more random names...

I'll give it a try, when I have more spare time... if it doesn't work, I'll try to model at least the beard by myself on Blender. Thankfully there is at least Gandalfs beard already uploaded in thingiversethat should be a good foundation in which to build larger dwarfen beards.

Edited by Gorilla94