Momotof

Lord of the Rings Ongoing Discussion

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Yoggington said:

At this stage would you not just treat yourself and avoid leaks?

I am an addict and I need help. 

 

45 minutes ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

It's crazy how the wait is most difficult (for me at least) the day before versus, say, over a year ago when this thing leaked initially. For those going to a LEGO store for a day one purchase, how early are you planning to arrive on June 1?

I know! When it is far out, I am content to sit and wait. I hope to get it online, but if not, then as soon as my local mall opens...which I will have to find out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Can’t wait to see the set. Won’t be getting it right away, but mainly because I just managed to get Rivendell today at a pretty good discount from a local auction place (they buy returns from a lot of major retailers and auction them as is). I’m not even sure what retailer it came from since I thought it was still exclusive (a lot of items come from Amazon, Target, other big box places). You can inspect items before bidding, so I went out there last week to check if it was legit. Just a heavily water damaged box but all bags, instructions and stickers were there! Luckily the instructions and stickers had no water damage. I always get outbid on any LEGO sets, but I’m guessing nobody else inspected it and was willing to chance it not being complete.

Edited by Retrocity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember Rivendell was shown at an event in Denmark (?) months ahead of the official reveal. Wonder if Barad-dur is likewise already known to some ambassadors? Not saying some of them will commit treason but just wondering if this tower went through the same presentations as Rivendell.

With the release being in 2 weeks, I bet some of the influencers are already making review videos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, hikouki said:

I remember Rivendell was shown at an event in Denmark (?) months ahead of the official reveal. Wonder if Barad-dur is likewise already known to some ambassadors? Not saying some of them will commit treason but just wondering if this tower went through the same presentations as Rivendell.

With the release being in 2 weeks, I bet some of the influencers are already making review videos.

LAN members definitely have it and already have videos ready to go. How else will they drop tomorrow? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s no way the Fell Beast won’t be based on the Dead Marshes scene from TTT right? Quick and easy way to reuse Sam, Frodo, and a Nazgul figure. A Witch King figure would be incredible but making a custom mould for him just for a GWP wouldn’t make sense at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Kaijumeister said:

There’s no way the Fell Beast won’t be based on the Dead Marshes scene from TTT right? Quick and easy way to reuse Sam, Frodo, and a Nazgul figure. A Witch King figure would be incredible but making a custom mould for him just for a GWP wouldn’t make sense at all.

I'd agree with you, but it doesn't make sense to me to not include Gollum in this scene as well.....maybe Osgiliath from the end of TTT with Sam and Frodo?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ForgedInLego said:

I'd agree with you, but it doesn't make sense to me to not include Gollum in this scene as well.....maybe Osgiliath from the end of TTT with Sam and Frodo?

That’s a really good point, definitely seems likely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, TheDoctor said:

As much as I'd love to see an Icons Minas Tirith, |I just don't think it has a wide enough appeal - it's not 'iconic' enough for a casual fan to drop $500 on it. (I know it's iconic to us, but try and remove yourself from our echo chamber)

Strongly disagree. Minas Tirith and anything related to the battle of pelennor fields were among the most requested, if not no1 requested set that we missed. It's iconic, and I'm sure it will draw in many casual adults who aren't into LEGO. It is the one set in LOTR that would justify such a high price point. Just look at the excitement when LOTR was first announced to be returning. Everyone was clamoring for Minas Tirith. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the question is not when Minas Tirith shows up, but how. I expect we are essentially guaranteed to have it appear in some capacity of playscale sets ever return, and it seems high on most peoples' wishlists. The issue is that it does not seem to translate to Lego easily. It could obviously be done in architecture scale, but that's not really what most people want. The issue, however, is that many of the minifigure scaled versions lack most of the defining seven rings--it's been a while, but isn't that literally the most defining feature featured in the book? I've heard people pitch making a handful of sets, like the playscale versions of Hogwarts, but that seems impractical for all but the most hardcore fans of both Lego and Lotr, and it seems that Lego is targeting a more casual fanbase who may be interested in both with 500 dollars to spare. Additionally, the Hogwarts sets work due to the fact that they focus on specific scenes from the book and film, and often cover iconic parts of the castle. There are probably not enough scenes inside Minas Tirith to justify that, plus the exterior would really just end up being the wall. That'd be my most preferred option, for the end result, but I probably wouldn't vote for it if I were Lego. 

I see a couple of likelihoods--the first is a microscale castle, like 71043. I'd be okay with this. I could also see a hybrid option, microscale outside with minifig scaled interior, although to my knowledge Lego has not done this before, have they? I could also see Lego just going flat out enormous in the style of sets like Lion Knight's Castle or the Minas Tirith mocs out there, scaled to minifigs, albeit not minifig scale. There is of course also the possibility of architecture style, which seems reasonable as well.

Then, of course, it's also possible that there is flat out no Minas Tirith and that I am wrong, but we hope that this is wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kaijumeister said:

There’s no way the Fell Beast won’t be based on the Dead Marshes scene from TTT right? Quick and easy way to reuse Sam, Frodo, and a Nazgul figure. A Witch King figure would be incredible but making a custom mould for him just for a GWP wouldn’t make sense at all.

Honestly it’s probably just generally Mordor-based

55 minutes ago, GreenTreeLeaf said:

Strongly disagree. Minas Tirith and anything related to the battle of pelennor fields were among the most requested, if not no1 requested set that we missed. It's iconic, and I'm sure it will draw in many casual adults who aren't into LEGO. It is the one set in LOTR that would justify such a high price point. Just look at the excitement when LOTR was first announced to be returning. Everyone was clamoring for Minas Tirith. 

Honestly I’d be thrilled if they did a $700 Minas Tirith. I’ll pay anything for it to be done real justice 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Honestly I’d be thrilled if they did a $700 Minas Tirith. I’ll pay anything for it to be done real justice 

As would I!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

As would I!

I’d be good with the right building blocks but want justice for it too.  What I care about are the key elements (awesome minifigs, the tree, the throne area, the trebuchets, the beacon, the gate, some buildings and a wall).  I don’t mind needing to buy multiple sets to get it all right and modify it.  I bought two helms deeps back in the day then added another thousand bricks to it to build a big helms deep MOC in the spirit of the set.  I would t mind doing that again but we need the right things to do it well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still think the best way to do Minas Tirith is splitting it into several playsets instead of just one D2C, unless it’s $700-$800. Maybe a set with the lower levels and main gates with Grond and a siege tower or two. Maybe a mid level set more focused on the city and people rather than the battle. A set with the top level with the citadel and White Tree. A beacon set. And a battle pack with a section of wall to expand it anywhere you want. All of them able to be combined obviously. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting to note that The Rings of Power Season 2 trailer was just announced to be dropping tomorrow:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C66SA49LYxE/?igsh=eHkxZ3hnd3NtbWcy

The timing of this aligning with the official reveal of the LEGO Barad Dur set can’t be a coincidence. 

I know that the LOTR merchandising rights for anything that isn’t based on the Peter Jackson films are tied up in a complicated knot right now, but I feel like that knot may be about to unravel…

With at least four more seasons of The Rings of Power, War of the Rohirrim, and the new Gollum movies all in the pipeline, there must be some major merchandising negotiations and coordination in the works.

Is it possible that this new content will be our ticket to the full-blown return of the LEGO LOTR theme with play-scale sets?

LEGO even mentions the Rings of Power TV show on its official Theme page for LOTR.

While I would prefer more sets based on the original Peter Jackson films, I wouldn’t be mad if we kept getting one D2C based on the original movies every year, with five play-scale sets based on new content and another play-scale set or two based on the originals.

I imagine it may take until 2026 when the new Gollum film comes out to get the merchandising rights sorted, but in the meantime I am placing my bets now on the next D2C set being something related to Rohan to align with War of the Rohirrim - either Helm’s Deep or the Golden Hall of Meduseld.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, sebastian666 said:

Interesting to note that The Rings of Power Season 2 trailer was just announced to be dropping tomorrow:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C66SA49LYxE/?igsh=eHkxZ3hnd3NtbWcy

The timing of this aligning with the official reveal of the LEGO Barad Dur set can’t be a coincidence. 

I know that the LOTR merchandising rights for anything that isn’t based on the Peter Jackson films are tied up in a complicated knot right now, but I feel like that knot may be about to unravel…

With at least four more seasons of The Rings of Power, War of the Rohirrim, and the new Gollum movies all in the pipeline, there must be some major merchandising negotiations and coordination in the works.

Is it possible that this new content will be our ticket to the full-blown return of the LEGO LOTR theme with play-scale sets?

LEGO even mentions the Rings of Power TV show on its official Theme page for LOTR.

While I would prefer more sets based on the original Peter Jackson films, I wouldn’t be mad if we kept getting one D2C based on the original movies every year, with five play-scale sets based on new content and another play-scale set or two based on the originals.

I imagine it may take until 2026 when the new Gollum film comes out to get the merchandising rights sorted, but in the meantime I am placing my bets now on the next D2C set being something related to Rohan to align with War of the Rohirrim - either Helm’s Deep or the Golden Hall of Meduseld.

I would agree. If it's 2026 before a "wave" of LOTR sets, that's fine. It'll take that much time to recover financially from buying Rivendell and Barad-dur lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, sebastian666 said:

Interesting to note that The Rings of Power Season 2 trailer was just announced to be dropping tomorrow:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C66SA49LYxE/?igsh=eHkxZ3hnd3NtbWcy

The timing of this aligning with the official reveal of the LEGO Barad Dur set can’t be a coincidence. 

I know that the LOTR merchandising rights for anything that isn’t based on the Peter Jackson films are tied up in a complicated knot right now, but I feel like that knot may be about to unravel…

With at least four more seasons of The Rings of Power, War of the Rohirrim, and the new Gollum movies all in the pipeline, there must be some major merchandising negotiations and coordination in the works.

Is it possible that this new content will be our ticket to the full-blown return of the LEGO LOTR theme with play-scale sets?

LEGO even mentions the Rings of Power TV show on its official Theme page for LOTR.

While I would prefer more sets based on the original Peter Jackson films, I wouldn’t be mad if we kept getting one D2C based on the original movies every year, with five play-scale sets based on new content and another play-scale set or two based on the originals.

I imagine it may take until 2026 when the new Gollum film comes out to get the merchandising rights sorted, but in the meantime I am placing my bets now on the next D2C set being something related to Rohan to align with War of the Rohirrim - either Helm’s Deep or the Golden Hall of Meduseld.

People keep talking like there are multiple Gollum movies happening. As far as I’m aware, Hunt for Gollum (working title) is just one movie, while others are in the works but not necessarily the same story. I highly doubt the Gollum film will be more than one movie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Feels like when I was a kid, the night before Christmas. The anticipation is building. Hoping the reveal is indeed tomorrow. As far as future sets are concerned. I wouldn’t mind diorama scenes (w/ quotes) of key moments in the trilogy. Something like Gandalf vs Balrog “You Shall Not Pass” would be awesome. The possibilities are endless… “Speak Friend and Enter” The other day I saw a very cool MOC, an extremely well done diorama of “I can’t carry it for you, but I can carry you” As long as the diorama selections are character-rich, I’d be happy. Now wake me up when I can unwrap my present, the reveal of LEGO Barad Dur! 

Edited by BitByBrick
My nemesis… auto correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

People keep talking like there are multiple Gollum movies happening. As far as I’m aware, Hunt for Gollum (working title) is just one movie, while others are in the works but not necessarily the same story. I highly doubt the Gollum film will be more than one movie

It was said they are working on 2 gollum films.  I think if that's true it would be a mistake as we need stories like Beren and Luthien.  Stories about Morgoth or anything from the first age would be great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, zoth33 said:

It was said they are working on 2 gollum films.  I think if that's true it would be a mistake as we need stories like Beren and Luthien.  Stories about Morgoth or anything from the first age would be great. 

Silmarilion content I believe is still firmly with the Tolkien estate, so no rights unfortunately. I believe the other poster is correct, that they announced two Peter Jackson movies, the first is Gollum, but I think the second one is still an unknown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mtrsteve said:

Silmarilion content I believe is still firmly with the Tolkien estate, so no rights unfortunately. I believe the other poster is correct, that they announced two Peter Jackson movies, the first is Gollum, but I think the second one is still an unknown.

Ok I've seen people say 2 Gollum movies.  I'm hoping they can give us new stories and just don't rehash the same storylines from the Hobbit and LOTR.  Otherwise this could get really repetitive.  I'm just hoping on day the Tolkien estate does let out more material so we can see more of Tolkiens world.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like this message board will explode when the reveal finally happens. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I already thought that it had happened, with all the posts posted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's so much better than I imagined. The figures are gorgeous. It was already a day one but my oh my

Sauron really should have woody arms and legs but it would probably look odd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

7 minutes ago, kuzyabricks said:

Sauron really should have woody arms and legs but it would probably look odd

You're right! I thought the same!

Edited by chris6507

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.