Momotof

Lord of the Rings Ongoing Discussion

Amongst the 200+ sets that I own, here is my top 5:

1. Rivendell

2. Millenium Falcon 75192

3. Tower of Orthanc

4. Temple of Airjitzu 70751

5. Helm's Deep and Bag End ex-aequo (can't choose between these two!)

Edited by Altair1

27 minutes ago, Altair1 said:

Amongst the 200+ sets that I own, here is my top 5:

1. Rivendell

2. Millenium Falcon 75192

3. Tower of Orthanc

4. Temple of Airjitzu 70751

5. Helm's Deep and Bag End ex-aequo (can't choose between these two!)

I don't own Rivendell yet but I'm sure when I get it it will be in my top 5

Right now my top 5

1 Lion Knights Castle

2. Fruit flower Mountain from Monkey kid

3. Blacksmith shop

4.  Skull Sorcerer's Dragon from Ninjago

5.  Bag end/Helms deep.  Like you I love them both 

Has anyone thought about adding to the waterfall behind the set? The one thing I wish this set had more of is the mountainous tree-filled environment Rivendell exists in. I would love to add small extensions to the set, maybe a vertical waterfall that integrates into the water section in the official set. 

I did see someone on Instagram made a base for the set that added some trees, so I know I’m not the only one hoping to expand it!

https://imgur.com/a/CGyRXsI

Here’s a quick edit of what I’m thinking. The blue section would be an expanded waterfall. The orange section I would add some more trees in a similar style, also to help make sure the waterfall blends into the side properly

Edited by Modal

2 hours ago, zoth33 said:

I don't own Rivendell yet but I'm sure when I get it it will be in my top 5

Right now my top 5

1 Lion Knights Castle

2. Fruit flower Mountain from Monkey kid

3. Blacksmith shop

4.  Skull Sorcerer's Dragon from Ninjago

5.  Bag end/Helms deep.  Like you I love them both 

crap might have to pick that dragon up now lol. I was on the fence since i was saving up for rivendell but might get it in a few months now XD

My top ten:

1. Brick beard's bounty (2009)

2. LKC

3. Rivendell

4. PoBB

5. MK ultra secret Hq

6. Portal of Atlantis

7. Ultra Agents Water HQ

8. Lone Ranger Silve Mine Shootout

9. Arkham Asylum 2013 

10. Arctic Ice Breaker 2014

Would be almost all LOTR sets if I had more than a scattered shelob and the pirate ambush I converted for my tcastle trolls XD

Edited by kuzyabricks
Spelling error

11 hours ago, kuzyabricks said:

crap might have to pick that dragon up now lol. I was on the fence since i was saving up for rivendell but might get it in a few months now XD

My top ten:

1. Brick beard's bounty (2009)

2. LKC

3. Rivendell

4. PoBB

5. MK ultra secret Hq

6. Portal of Atlantis

7. Ultra Agents Water HQ

8. Lone Ranger Silve Mine Shootout

9. Arkham Asylum 2013 

10. Arctic Ice Breaker 2014

Would be almost all LOTR sets if I had more than a scattered shelob and the pirate ambush I converted for my tcastle trolls XD

In my opinion the Skull dragon and the new Ice dragon with 6 legs are the best dragons lego has made.  The newest harry potter Hungarian Horntail that is brick built is really nice too.  

4 hours ago, zoth33 said:

In my opinion the Skull dragon and the new Ice dragon with 6 legs are the best dragons lego has made.  The newest harry potter Hungarian Horntail that is brick built is really nice too.  

I saw the skull dragon on its own for $55 but said no cause of rivendell 😞

Does anyone know if there's a stud.io file of Rivendell available yet? 

Do we think Rivendell sold well enough (and will continue to) to get more LOTR sets.

my top five

1) Rivendell 

2)Orthanc

3) helms deep (but I combined two and modified which is cheating for the list)

4) Vaders meditation chamber (love that one for some reason)

5) great wave (my first art set which has inspired some Mocs)

2 hours ago, kuzyabricks said:

I saw the skull dragon on its own for $55 but said no cause of rivendell 😞

You do realize that Rivendell, like every other big Lego Set, will at least be available for two to three years?

You could have bought the skull dragon and then take yout time to save the spent $55 in the next couple of months.^^

13 minutes ago, neithan said:

You do realize that Rivendell, like every other big Lego Set, will at least be available for two to three years?

You could have bought the skull dragon and then take yout time to save the spent $55 in the next couple of months.^^

Eh yeah but I needed Rivendell on release. I missed out on the OG sets so I bought the recent Brickheadz and Rivendell the secondit was available

Unfortunately I had to compress most of my Rivendell build into two days, but it was still epic. I really love a lot of the techniques used. The roof is just gorgeous in person and definitely worth the effort!

The only part of the build I don't like is the main tree in the Council area. The leaves and branches are always moving around and get knocked out of alignment way more easily than I expected. Don't think I have any other complaints, though. It's absolutely one of the best sets ever made, in my top 3 for sure. Orthanc looks surprisingly great next to it as well! A decade separates the builds but they still display together beautifully. 

I think the $500 price is justified, honestly. I do think the build's size alone doesn't feel totally worth it, but there's so much detail in every aspect of the set that I don't feel like it's overpriced. When I factor in the minifigures, several new molds, new prints, and over 6,000 pieces I think the $500 price is fine. It's not a steal like some D2Cs used to be, but I don't feel cheated or upset at the finished product when I think about the price (like I did for some 2022 D2C sets). My opinion may be slightly biased though because I used VIP points to knock off a significant amount of the cost.

Edited by GoldenNinja3000

10 hours ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

Unfortunately I had to compress most of my Rivendell build into two days, but it was still epic. I really love a lot of the techniques used. The roof is just gorgeous in person and definitely worth the effort!

The only part of the build I don't like is the main tree in the Council area. The leaves and branches are always moving around and get knocked out of alignment way more easily than I expected. Don't think I have any other complaints, though. It's absolutely one of the best sets ever made, in my top 3 for sure. Orthanc looks surprisingly great next to it as well! A decade separates the builds but they still display together beautifully. 

I think the $500 price is justified, honestly. I do think the build's size alone doesn't feel totally worth it, but there's so much detail in every aspect of the set that I don't feel like it's overpriced. When I factor in the minifigures, several new molds, new prints, and over 6,000 pieces I think the $500 price is fine. It's not a steal like some D2Cs used to be, but I don't feel cheated or upset at the finished product when I think about the price (like I did for some 2022 D2C sets). My opinion may be slightly biased though because I used VIP points to knock off a significant amount of the cost.

I think there was some intentional design to make it fit and feel like the old LOTR sets.  It fits right in with most of them (just a lot bigger and nicer).  I appreciate that it does not feel out of place next to Orthanc, or helms deep.  The use of sand green and grey in particular make me think this.

Owners of Rivendell (or the minifigs at least) could you do me a favour and let me know if Aragorn/Boromir's hair piece fits over Gimli/Not Gloin's beard piece? 

Thanks. 

On 3/16/2023 at 12:03 AM, Modal said:

Has anyone thought about adding to the waterfall behind the set? The one thing I wish this set had more of is the mountainous tree-filled environment Rivendell exists in. I would love to add small extensions to the set, maybe a vertical waterfall that integrates into the water section in the official set. 

Only almost every night since it released.

It's such an obvious gap in the setting and needs a exquisite brick build to complement and enhance the diorama. Cannibalising the MK Fruit Flower Mountain waterfall and it's stickers isn't quite going to cut it :laugh_hard:

Edited by Lucarex

6 hours ago, Seaber said:

Owners of Rivendell (or the minifigs at least) could you do me a favour and let me know if Aragorn/Boromir's hair piece fits over Gimli/Not Gloin's beard piece? 

Thanks. 

No sorry, it does not fit. The braid in the back is in its way. 

On 3/17/2023 at 5:46 AM, Wardancer said:

I think we should have a thread for Rivendell modifications, expansions etc.

Are there any you’ve seen yet? Don’t know where to look to find them if/when they are made

4 hours ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

Finally pulled the trigger and got 79018 and have 79003 lined up to get from a friend, so that'll be good. Excited to finally have Smaug in hand. 

Sooo expensive!!! Lucky you! ;)

9 hours ago, Lucarex said:

Only almost every night since it released.

It's such an obvious gap in the setting and needs a exquisite brick build to complement and enhance the diorama. Cannibalising the MK Fruit Flower Mountain waterfall and it's stickers isn't quite going to cut it :laugh_hard:

I still haven't received my Rivendell from Lego! Sigh. But will maybe wait for a MOC of an expansion on Rebrickable before I fully build the set.

Assuming that if next year we get barad-dûr, and they continue the trend of one large d2c set once a year, what set do you guys think is the most likely set to get after that? I would personally hope for bag end Hobbiton. I know they mentioned in one of the interviews that they had strongly considered that but had decided against it because they thought the original set from the hobbit line did it so well. But I still feel like a scaled up more detailed version that could include a much more impressive tree on top and part of Bilbo's party would be amazing. Not to mention the original set is 10 years old at this point, and they could do so much more with it with LEGOs current building techniques and parts.

1 hour ago, Timobricko said:

Assuming that if next year we get barad-dûr, and they continue the trend of one large d2c set once a year, what set do you guys think is the most likely set to get after that? I would personally hope for bag end Hobbiton. I know they mentioned in one of the interviews that they had strongly considered that but had decided against it because they thought the original set from the hobbit line did it so well. But I still feel like a scaled up more detailed version that could include a much more impressive tree on top and part of Bilbo's party would be amazing. Not to mention the original set is 10 years old at this point, and they could do so much more with it with LEGOs current building techniques and parts.

If the theme continues, I’m sure a Bag End set is just around the corner. If they continue doing D2Cs, Minas Tirith might be before it, since it’s never been made into a set, but I’d put money on Bag End being made before a remake of Orthanc or Helm’s Deep. For making D2Cs, my guess at the priority list would be: Barad-Dûr, Minas Tirith, Bag End/Hobbiton, Meduseld/Edoras, Helm’s Deep, Orthanc. Obviously there’s lots of other locations from LOTR and/or the Hobbit that could be made into a set, but I don’t think anything else would be able to warrant a full large D2C. 

12 hours ago, Modal said:

Are there any you’ve seen yet? Don’t know where to look to find them if/when they are made

No, but I hope to gain some ideas by fellow builders. Maybe Someone will improve the trees, add a waterfall, complete the house, add tiles to the upper floor… I would be very interested in seeing everyones ideas.

10 hours ago, QuiggoldsPegLeg said:

If the theme continues, I’m sure a Bag End set is just around the corner. If they continue doing D2Cs, Minas Tirith might be before it, since it’s never been made into a set, but I’d put money on Bag End being made before a remake of Orthanc or Helm’s Deep. For making D2Cs, my guess at the priority list would be: Barad-Dûr, Minas Tirith, Bag End/Hobbiton, Meduseld/Edoras, Helm’s Deep, Orthanc. Obviously there’s lots of other locations from LOTR and/or the Hobbit that could be made into a set, but I don’t think anything else would be able to warrant a full large D2C. 

I agree they (should) do minis tirith and meduseld before a remake of bag end (I am for a remake especially if it includes a party tree just after we get the new places).  I know they mentioned Meduseld in that same interview, but skipping minis Tirith for a remake would be so sad in case they end the theme again without any Gondor.  I won’t mind as much if they have a way to get minifigs for Gondor but after the last series I want Gondor prioritized (a battle pack would be good with three soldiers and one of the tree guards  :) ).

12 hours ago, QuiggoldsPegLeg said:

Yeah that makes sense, I guess they could just make a portion of Minas tirith like they did with Rivendell. Possibly the hall of kings. Because I can't see it working any other way without microscale. Edoras would be awesome! Would hope it'd included a ton of different horses