Momotof

Lord of the Rings Ongoing Discussion

3 hours ago, Lordhelmet said:

Got it this morning.  I was seventh in line.  They had 21 total sets (at least ten sold while I was there so hoping all 21 sold).  The strangest thing was somebody waiting in line bought the hogwarts castle after waiting with all the Rivendell folks. 

I turned up early at my local store on Titanic release day. I was in the area and wanted to get something, so figured I'd wait for 20 minutes until it opened. I didn't realize it was Titanic release day, and they were shocked when I turned down the ticket to buy Titanic and instead went for the Corner Garage. So it can happen.

Also, whilst I don't want to diminish the excitement and awesomeness of Rivendell, I think it's worth noting that it's still available to buy online. Whereas the BTS Ideas set that so many people seemed to hate was sold out within a few hours. Obviously it's not really for most people here (me included) and Rivendell very much is (me included). But the cries of 'why doesn't LEGO listen to us' might need to be calmed down a little. Still hoping for more LOTR sets in future though, especially if they can sell this many $500 so quickly.

Definitely a nice set, for me personally I would have preferred bringing  back this line with a $200-$300 set, and something besides brickheads, before going down the $500 plus path. To many big sets, in too many themes nowadays, but that is just the direction lego is headed.

hopefully this thing has legs!

20 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

I turned up early at my local store on Titanic release day. I was in the area and wanted to get something, so figured I'd wait for 20 minutes until it opened. I didn't realize it was Titanic release day, and they were shocked when I turned down the ticket to buy Titanic and instead went for the Corner Garage. So it can happen.

Also, whilst I don't want to diminish the excitement and awesomeness of Rivendell, I think it's worth noting that it's still available to buy online. Whereas the BTS Ideas set that so many people seemed to hate was sold out within a few hours. Obviously it's not really for most people here (me included) and Rivendell very much is (me included). But the cries of 'why doesn't LEGO listen to us' might need to be calmed down a little. Still hoping for more LOTR sets in future though, especially if they can sell this many $500 so quickly.

While this set certainly didn't sell out as quickly as the BTS set, I wouldn't necessarily read too much into that. Obviously a $500 price requires a little more saving up than a $100, and there's a difference between an early VIP release and the BTS set's launch, which was available to all customers. And the demand for the first ever BTS set is a significant outlier not just compared to this set but the majority of Lego releases anyway—even reliable, proven sellers like the modular buildings rarely sell out day one.

If nothing else Lego was wise not to launch Rivendell and the BTS set on the same day! My dad was showing me pictures of the lines at some of the Lego stores for this set, which were certainly nothing to sneeze at. Hoping all the employees working those days get some days off to rest after this week!

2 hours ago, Bricky Dee Williams said:

To this building your sets today: are all parts for Elrond in bag 47? I am missing the last elf headpiece for him. 

Ill check mine rn for you

2 hours ago, Bricky Dee Williams said:

To this building your sets today: are all parts for Elrond in bag 47? I am missing the last elf headpiece for him. 

Just quickly checked my bag. Headpiece is there

3 hours ago, BenA said:

Picked up mine today in store at Liverpool UK. Got there at 09:30ish, store opened at 11:00. I was the only one there until about 10:15, when quite a few folks showed up in quick succession.  I reckon there were 30-odd in the queue by opening time - hopefully a good sign!  As others have said, there was a really good atmosphere and the staff were great, everything packaged up ready at the till. I got a number of GWP - Frodo and Gollum, The removal truck, Houses of the world 1, a VIP keyring, a sailor minifig with a yellow duck (slightly random, but hey, not complaining) and most unexpectedly of all, polybag 30210 - Frodo with his green shirt. I think that was from 2012?!!  I most definitely wasn't expecting that last one, but it was a great addition. If anyone from the Liverpool store is reading this, thanks!

WHAT?!?! How was that even in stock?

Everyone else is getting Rivendell while I just finished getting all the pieces for orthanc and built it. 

On a similar note, after having dropped $530 on Rivendell this morning, I was somewhat concerned about what my wife’s reaction was going to be when I proceeded to place a $50 order on Bricklink this afternoon for parts to upgrade my Weathertop MOC. 

1 hour ago, JimBaggins said:

Everyone else is getting Rivendell while I just finished getting all the pieces for orthanc and built it. 

please elaborate, very interesting! How long has it taken+ how much?

anyone else have some missing pieces?  I have one missing piece in bag 14, and I think I have a second one in bag 21.  That is as far as I am with the build.

4 hours ago, Lyichir said:

While this set certainly didn't sell out as quickly as the BTS set, I wouldn't necessarily read too much into that. Obviously a $500 price requires a little more saving up than a $100, and there's a difference between an early VIP release and the BTS set's launch, which was available to all customers. And the demand for the first ever BTS set is a significant outlier not just compared to this set but the majority of Lego releases anyway—even reliable, proven sellers like the modular buildings rarely sell out day one.

If nothing else Lego was wise not to launch Rivendell and the BTS set on the same day! My dad was showing me pictures of the lines at some of the Lego stores for this set, which were certainly nothing to sneeze at. Hoping all the employees working those days get some days off to rest after this week!

Completely agree that it's unfair to compare directly and all your points are fair. I was more pointing out that there is a wide range of demand for LEGO, from unexpected places. Here's to them developing more in both lines - there are probably some LOTR fans amongst the BTS fanbase who have just purchased their first LEGO set and may look for more.

1 hour ago, Eurolock said:

On a similar note, after having dropped $530 on Rivendell this morning, I was somewhat concerned about what my wife’s reaction was going to be when I proceeded to place a $50 order on Bricklink this afternoon for parts to upgrade my Weathertop MOC. 

Nice! I find 'small' purchases to complete MOCs (or in my case things from Rebrickable) so much more satisfying than buying a ready-packed LEGO set. Something in the effort required to do it? Must be even better with a MOC. Do you have any pictures?

I just re read the dimensions, no way is it 20 inches deep. Is anyone far enough I to the bud process to confirm if that's actually it's depth?

I’m at bag 29 and going to resume building tomorrow.  A few thoughts about the build so far.

the roof tiles (at least for the first building) were actually pretty enjoyable.  It is satisfying watching them all get aligned with the recommended build process.

the elf hair looks way better in person than the photos.  I will still swap Legolas for the old one but the new hair actually looks good.

I switched sams hair with a spare bilbo hair and I liked it much better.

the mini figures have all been excellent and are at least on par if not improved in some areas.

the floor tiles look so nice.

Build techniques have been fun throughout, trees look better in person than the pictures.

love the set and building it has been fun (I also watched fellowship and part of two towers while building).

my favorite part about the set is it feels a lot like the old sets.  I noticed some brick choices and build parts that reminded me of the old LOTR.  I am very happy the designers went this route as it fits with the other sets from ten years ago just at a grander scale.  This has been my biggest surprise building and my favorite part.  I hope it sells well to get more LOTR sets.

14 minutes ago, kuzyabricks said:

please elaborate, very interesting! How long has it taken+ how much?

It's taken like two years, as I've worked on it very sporadically. I collected as many pieces as I could from my own collection, marking off what I had and needed and what quantities. I dug through used Lego bins, made a pick a brick order, and 2 or 3 bricklink orders. My most recent order was imported from Canada to get the sticker sheet for cheaper and some key missing parts. 

I had the Minifigures already, except for Sarumons dress and Wormtongue who I cobbled together with snape and palatine parts. I didn't build treebeard as I think his design in this set is ugly. 

It ended up about $150-175, I'm not really sure. 

24 minutes ago, A_Forest_of_Lego said:

In your experience, will the price of Rivendell go down if we wait before buying it? And how long do we have to buy it before they're all sold out?

If it's a LEGO exclusive, it's highly unlikely to be discounted. Best would be 2x VIP with a good GWP. Titanic and the Colosseum feel like good comparisons, as they're exclusive and expensive. No discounts from LEGO, and I've not seen any going 'cheap' second hand, as they're not the kind of sets that you impressed purchase and then regret later.

If it goes out to retail partners, then maybe more of a chance of a discount, but that will vary by region.

1 hour ago, JimBaggins said:

It's taken like two years, as I've worked on it very sporadically. I collected as many pieces as I could from my own collection, marking off what I had and needed and what quantities. I dug through used Lego bins, made a pick a brick order, and 2 or 3 bricklink orders. My most recent order was imported from Canada to get the sticker sheet for cheaper and some key missing parts. 

I had the Minifigures already, except for Sarumons dress and Wormtongue who I cobbled together with snape and palatine parts. I didn't build treebeard as I think his design in this set is ugly. 

It ended up about $150-175, I'm not really sure. 

Very nice! I looked at bricklink and it would cost me roughly 260+ shipping to build it(without figs and I haven't looked at my own collection yet). Might be a project for the far future if baradur doesn't come out

Especially if bara dur comes out, you need it's sister tower! 

It was a fun project, hard work and high cost but worth it in the end. It was a great builds and bigger than I expected. 

10 hours ago, Arjo said:

I think the one downside, unsurprisingly, was that these were all AFOLs i.e. no kids.

I do not think Lego expect to sell many copies of this set to kids anyway, as long as enough adults buy it that is no problem..

10 hours ago, BenA said:

I got a number of GWP - Frodo and Gollum, The removal truck, Houses of the world 1, a VIP keyring, a sailor minifig with a yellow duck (slightly random, but hey, not complaining) and most unexpectedly of all, polybag 30210 - Frodo with his green shirt. I think that was from 2012?!!  I most definitely wasn't expecting that last one, but it was a great addition. If anyone from the Liverpool store is reading this, thanks!

That was a great haul, should be more of that kind of stuff when people line up in a queue to buy a expensive set for full price :thumbup:

16 hours ago, QuiggoldsPegLeg said:

People aren’t going to be happy if they made a LOTR GWP a few months after the set releases. Then you’re just punishing people who bought it early, because very few people can afford to shell out the cash for another of the same giant set just to get a GWP.

People that waited would be happy. There is no punishment here. If you decide to buy on day 1 with a poor GWP just to be one of the first people with the set then I don't think you can complain that there is a better GWP later. Not that I think there will be a specific LOTR GWP, but there will be better ones than the house, or even just a better VIP points offer.

Just received an old style elf hairpiece for Legolas via Brickowl. Will be swapping it with the one in the new set asap. I’m too fussy  for my own good. Didn’t cost that much but there weren’t too many new ones about.

13 hours ago, Lordhelmet said:

anyone else have some missing pieces?  I have one missing piece in bag 14, and I think I have a second one in bag 21.  That is as far as I am with the build.

I have not had any missing pieces so far. That being said, I’ve had a lot of missing pieces in a lot of other sets recently so it doesn’t surprise me

1 hour ago, th0r1n said:

Just received an old style elf hairpiece for Legolas via Brickowl. Will be swapping it with the one in the new set asap. I’m too fussy  for my own good. Didn’t cost that much but there weren’t too many new ones about.

They have been selling quite well on BL recently. I've sold my remaining Legolas / yellow ones and most of the reddish brown ones that I had.

I imagine many people are replacing them, or just adding more generic elves. The old Legolas head is selling quite well too.

I’m most of the way done the build. I’m blown away by the ingenuity of this set design. There’s also just something so nice about sitting and building Rivendell while listening to the Prancing Pony Podcast with an ice cold beer