Momotof

Lord of the Rings Ongoing Discussion

23 minutes ago, BrickMatit said:

I've not seen Rivendell reviews yet, but this could be a major mistake in the set.

It looks to be too far east and south. Maybe not exactly in Mordor though. 

Edited by McMurder_them_softly

7 hours ago, Lordhelmet said:

A few things said here, Lego mentioned that Rivendell is being used to gauge the LOTR market and has to sell well for them to make more sets in the future (confirming some of the thoughts in the forum).  I am reading between the lines a bit but thinking that could mean playsets (and other things) in addition to more large sets (like the Barad Dur which may come out depending on Rivendell sales).  Also mentioned nothing is currently scheduled for 2023 for LOTR (which also makes sense as there have been no rumors, sad but more confirmation).

Honestly, if this sells well and they do decide to make more LotR sets I believe there is a very slim chance for playsets, and they're just gonna release more D2C sets.

"Why appeal to younger fans and more fans in general, when we can gorge on the few people willing to spend half a grand on a single set!"

- LEGO execs, probably

Edited by Alegrispa

11 minutes ago, McMurder_them_softly said:

It looks to be too far east and south. Maybe not exactly in Mordor though. 

Couldn't it be Minas Morgul?

I don’t want to watch the reviews. I don’t feel like cringing that hard when all the people who know nothing about LOTR butcher everything about it lol including the name 

Just now, BrickMatit said:

Nah it’s Orthanc. It’s definitely a mistake on the map and it’s definitely inside Mordor, east of the Ephel Dúath

2 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I don’t want to watch the reviews. I don’t feel like cringing that hard when all the people who know nothing about LOTR butcher everything about it lol including the name 

Good idea. Like I said before, plenty of "Riven-DALE". Again, could be a regional accent thing though. Benefit of the doubt. 

3 minutes ago, BrickMatit said:

I guess, but the top is pretty iconic and depicted in the image. Not sure why they would have that tower while showing Middle Earth, alongside Barad Dur. 

25 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I don’t want to watch the reviews. I don’t feel like cringing that hard when all the people who know nothing about LOTR butcher everything about it lol including the name. 

Read the reviews on Brickset and Jay's Brick Blog. They are both good, thorough reviews and they know their Tolkien lore. 

38 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Nah it’s Orthanc. It’s definitely a mistake on the map and it’s definitely inside Mordor, east of the Ephel Dúath

You wouldn't believe the amount of people calling it Rivendale instead of saying it correctly.  Plus the amount of reviewers that know little about Tolkien was definitely annoying to me.  I get it they sent it to you for this purpose maybe just brush up on some lore before you ramble on about things you don't know.  Sometimes I had to go back and listen to see what exactly they said as it was completely off.  Your better off not watching the reviews.  Also the amount of people that can't say Gloin correctly either is so bad how hard is it to look up the names of the characters and some history, take some notes and make a great video instead they just push it out to be the first one to get it online.  

1 hour ago, Alegrispa said:

Honestly, if this sells well and they do decide to make more LotR sets I believe there is a very slim chance for playsets, and they're just gonna release more D2C sets.

"Why appeal to younger fans and more fans in general, when we can gorge on the few people willing to spend half a grand on a single set!"

- LEGO execs, probably

Yeah you wouldn't use a duck to gauge how much people like a feather, they wouldn't use this set to gauge interest in LotR sets just LotR D2Cs

Edited by Agent Kallus

I find that reviewers tend to to fall into two camps. There's the Brickset, Jay, and JANG approach, which is snow, deliberate, and methodical, going through the components of the build, linking in some detail of the subject matter, and also insights into the LEGO aspects like the building techniques and element history where it's interesting. I personally like these, as do probably many AFOLs.

And then there are the more 'mainstream' reviewers like Emmasaurus, Solid Brix Studios (not for Star Wars stuff, but the other things that LEGO send), Bricksie, Hollyonfilm, and Brick Fanatics who maybe do a higher level review, and maybe follow the press kit a bit much, and can be a bit saccharine. But you know what, they do a great job at producing content that many thousands of people enjoy and I appreciate them for doing it. It feels like Emily at Emmasaurus especially can get a hard time of it because she's relatively new to LEGO, but she's jumped in headfirst and shows a level of enthusiasm that is bringing a lot of joy. I don't watch it probably, but for LEGO it's opening up lots of new customers, so it's great for them. And watch as the people who view her channel buy loads of Rivendell sets and allow new sets to be made. Yes, they pronounce the names incorrectly, but go to JANG or Brickset for the quality in-depth reviews that people here tend to want.

32 minutes ago, zoth33 said:

You wouldn't believe the amount of people calling it Rivendale instead of saying it correctly.  Plus the amount of reviewers that know little about Tolkien was definitely annoying to me.  I get it they sent it to you for this purpose maybe just brush up on some lore before you ramble on about things you don't know.  Sometimes I had to go back and listen to see what exactly they said as it was completely off.  Your better off not watching the reviews.  Also the amount of people that can't say Gloin correctly either is so bad how hard is it to look up the names of the characters and some history, take some notes and make a great video instead they just push it out to be the first one to get it online.  

To be fair, they pronounce Gloin’s name wrong in the movies. So I tend to forgive that one. But Tolkien pronounced it as “glow-in” instead of rhyming with “coin”

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

This LEGO set is absolutely gorgeous and completely worth every penny. I do hope that they continue with these D2C sets instead of making normal play sets for the theme. This way LEGO can’t create accurate and detailed sets for the target audience of the theme rather than focusing on play features for children (when in reality this theme isn’t necessarily a great theme for children when they wouldn’t read the book at that age and aren’t mature enough to watch the movies). Also it’s astonishing how many people are complaining about the price considering the incredible amount of new pieces and elements. I think people need to understand that every LEGO set doesn’t have to be affordable or accessible for everyone and if you can’t afford it then that’s just too bad. There are many things (and sets) I’d like that I can’t afford and that’s not LEGO’s fault or responsibility. As a business case this makes sense for LEGO and if you can’t afford it then you’re just not the target audience for the set. Sorry to say so.

4 hours ago, Khargeust said:

In this video interview with some of the designers of the Rivendell set.....

Just watched this designer video but have questions about the Easter Eggs they hint at towards the end. What prop shown in the DVD special features do you think is referred to at 19:12? I just poured over these DVDs last week and besides the murals I'm not sure what would be the obvious hidden prop. The gold telescope thing at the bottom of the stairway? Also, I'm not sure what easter eggs they are talking about regarding a map referencing a scene from the Extended Edition. Is it Faramir's map from The Two Towers?

Edited by Ferder

I prefer the written articles with pictures over the obnoxious mostly know nothing you tubers, social media influencers or whatever.  I watch the promobricks one just so I can get the English translation since they usually release details first but I find her very annoying with all the hand waving & head bobbing.  It's just so unnecessary and distracting to me.  I use to watch Holly a little way back before she became so full of herself and kept repeating the same things over & over and started waving her hands all over the place for no reason.  After her whole, "they booted me for I have no idea why" diatribes I couldn't take anymore.  Never could stand to watch any of the self absorbed guys that got booted or quit LAN.  I've never watched Emmasaurus as her selfie with box posed pictures just rub me the wrong way.  I guess they all appeal to many of the younger fans but I can read a well written informative article a lot faster than I can watch any of their mostly blathering content.

1 hour ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

To be fair, they pronounce Gloin’s name wrong in the movies. So I tend to forgive that one. But Tolkien pronounced it as “glow-in” instead of rhyming with “coin”

Yeah I was just using some of the video's i've seen as an example.  Just watching some of these gets to be so exhausting as the people don't really know the lore or they haven't even watched the movies and if they did they didn't retain barely enough info to know what the designers did for the fans.  It just seems like people now a days are in it for the views and they try to be entertaining but they really aren't.  I like watching Men of the West, nerd of the rings, etc. because they know what they are talking about Tolkien wise.  There are some good video's out there but If your not into Tolkien just say it in the video and critique the set as a lego set and leave the weird commentary and lack of knowledge out of the videos.  

3 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I would really really like to hear a review from a true Tolkien fan, if not a Tolkien-/ LOTR- scholar about their opinion regarding this Lego set.

As much as I am a LOTR fan, I am not really a scholar.

Just like you, I can never seem to be influenced by these YouTubers and influencers - I usually have pre-formed opinions of my own and would usually watch or read some of these reviews to verify certain details. I noticed that as much as these are reviews, if I get a penny every time they said they "liked" something in these sets, or that Lego "did a good job" I would be a millionaire by now. LOL

3 minutes ago, hikouki said:

I would really really like to hear a review from a true Tolkien fan, if not a Tolkien-/ LOTR- scholar about their opinion regarding this Lego set.

As much as I am a LOTR fan, I am not really a scholar.

Just like you, I can never seem to be influenced by these YouTubers and influencers - I usually have pre-formed opinions of my own and would usually watch or read some of these reviews to verify certain details. I noticed that as much as these are reviews, if I get a penny every time they said they "liked" something in these sets, or that Lego "did a good job" I would be a millionaire by now. LOL

For a really good review on this set, check out Jay's Brick Blog, he is a true Tolkien fan and gives a really in-depth review of the set.

1 hour ago, Ferder said:

Just watched this designer video but have questions about the Easter Eggs they hint at towards the end. What prop shown in the DVD special features do you think is referred to at 19:12? I just poured over these DVDs last week and besides the murals I'm not sure what would be the obvious hidden prop. The gold telescope thing at the bottom of the stairway? Also, I'm not sure what easter eggs they are talking about regarding a map referencing a scene from the Extended Edition. Is it Faramir's map from The Two Towers?

I believe he’s referring to the one map that shows two arrows. One goes right and one goes left towards the image of Barad-Dûr. It’s supposed to be a reference to the extended scene where Frodo says “Mordor, Gandalf. Is it left or right?” And Gandalf replies “left”

59 minutes ago, zoth33 said:

Yeah I was just using some of the video's i've seen as an example.  Just watching some of these gets to be so exhausting as the people don't really know the lore or they haven't even watched the movies and if they did they didn't retain barely enough info to know what the designers did for the fans.  It just seems like people now a days are in it for the views and they try to be entertaining but they really aren't.  I like watching Men of the West, nerd of the rings, etc. because they know what they are talking about Tolkien wise.  There are some good video's out there but If your not into Tolkien just say it in the video and critique the set as a lego set and leave the weird commentary and lack of knowledge out of the videos.  

Yes, I agree with this for sure. I’m not saying everyone has to be a die hard Tolkien scholar but if you know absolutely nothing about LOTR just tell us and don’t try to act like you do for a lego set review. But on the flip side, I do understand that as members of LAN they need to come across a certain way for views, which is just inherently a part of the nature of what they do. But I’m happy to enjoy it for myself and find all the references that I know I’ll understand without someone who doesn’t actually understand it pointing it out to me half heartedly in some video. Also, Men of the West and Nerd of the Rings are remarkably knowledgeable Tolkien channels and I love them both. I’m actually in both of their Discord servers and talk with them regularly about all things Tolkien. Matt from Nerd of the Rings may very well end up buying the Rivendell set and making a video of it, he has mentioned a few times that he probably will

11 minutes ago, dukesofbrickdom said:

For a really good review on this set, check out Jay's Brick Blog, he is a true Tolkien fan and gives a really in-depth review of the set.

Yes, he is a true Tolkien fan, I exchanged a couple comments on Instagram with him about a copy of The Children of Húrin I saw in one of his posts. It was definitely refreshing to see that

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

14 minutes ago, dukesofbrickdom said:

Also CapnRex101's review from Brickset.com

Looking at the Lego lord of the rings game and seeing the Eowyn fig just makes me think that the Viking helm from the CMF is perfect for that and I just hope that they are making more LOTR sets because seeing some of the stuff from the game they could easily make several sets that people would just buy a ton of.  I mean they had Haldir and all they really needed to do was add a helm piece to that fig for a Elven warrior.  I just hope to see more LOTR sets on the way.  We really need Gondor.  

7 minutes ago, zoth33 said:

Looking at the Lego lord of the rings game and seeing the Eowyn fig just makes me think that the Viking helm from the CMF is perfect for that and I just hope that they are making more LOTR sets because seeing some of the stuff from the game they could easily make several sets that people would just buy a ton of.  I mean they had Haldir and all they really needed to do was add a helm piece to that fig for a Elven warrior.  I just hope to see more LOTR sets on the way.  We really need Gondor.  

The first thing I thought when I saw that CMF Viking figure was that the helmet was remarkably similar to Eowyn’s helmet in Return of the King. Ever since I’ve longed for them to use it for her 

7 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I also thought that its Orthanc, but it could be Minas Morgul or even Cirith Ungol, since being the Orthanc would be serious geographic mistake. 

It's definitely Orthanc, but the map is cramped up anyway so nothing is really in the correct place. It's a nice idea but not quite worked. 

Has it been pointed out the elves in the ring creation mural have the 2012-14 elf hair piece? 

8 minutes ago, Seaber said:

Has it been pointed out the elves in the ring creation mural have the 2012-14 elf hair piece? 

Tan hair too, which unfortunately was never produced. 

17 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I’m not sure about this, most LOTR fans and LOTR collectors are used to very expensive collectibles. Many people in some of the Tolkien communities I’m in that don’t buy lego have expressed serious interest in the set already

Im a casual fan but I like LOTR and I would prefer more affordable sets. Am I still going to get rivendell? Absolutely, but this is a special occasion and I don't know how many more $500 sets I can allow myself to buy. They can easily make a a $200-$300 UCS set with plenty of detail which is still expensive but somewhat affordable atleast compared to half a thousand 

17 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I’m not sure about this, most LOTR fans and LOTR collectors are used to very expensive collectibles. Many people in some of the Tolkien communities I’m in that don’t buy lego have expressed serious interest in the set already

I'm a huge Lord of the rings fan, and adored the original sets as a kid, but I won't be able to buy Rivendell for a long time because of the high price. (It'll be worth it when I do though)