Momotof

Lord of the Rings Ongoing Discussion

1 hour ago, Atrius Kain said:

Would the set even sell if its microscale? I would be willing to save money for a minifig scale set but not for microscale and I'm not sure other people would buy it either then.

Personally I would definitely buy it even if it is microscale, and I think it will sell well in any case, given how long people have been waiting for a return of the LOTR theme. 

For me it depends on the completeness of the microscale build. If it is the same as the Hogwarts castle set (only half a castle), I would not buy it (although I bought the Hogwarts castle in the hope they would one day release the other half :look:).

4 hours ago, Atrius Kain said:

Would the set even sell if its microscale? I would be willing to save money for a minifig scale set but not for microscale and I'm not sure other people would buy it either then.

For me, it depends what it looks like. I might, I might not.

But then the same is true if it is minifigure scale too. If it is just the Fellowship and a few others and the minifigures are no better than the existing ones, I'd skip it.

I plan on buying it regardless. I will buy any LOTR products they release. But I know I’m in the minority there so it doesn’t help the cause if they don’t make the set desirable for more than a small group of people

11 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

All I know is that if this D2C doesn’t have minfigures, and plenty of them, a lot of people won’t buy it and the theme probably dies there

Yeah, I can deal with microscale probably. But I need minifigures and not just 2 for this set to really work for me. 

I definitely would not buy the set if it is microscale. I do not have $500 extra dollars lying around for something that is just a display piece. I need something that will double over as a display piece and something I can get down and play with. I am sure some people can play with mini mini figures, but I am not amongst them. 

I'm really doubtful that it'd be microscale.

Like, why even pick Rivendell as a set if you're not going to have minifigures of the Council of Elrond?  That's the entire point of a Rivendell set.  Otherwise I think there's plenty of other LOTR settings that be better for Microscale, like Osgiliath.

As of this morning, the Gandalf the Grey and Balrog Brickheadz are on Backorder on LEGO Shop At Home. Not sure that I’ve ever seen a Brickheadz set sell out so soon before… Hopefully, this demonstrates demand for the theme to LEGO. 

1 hour ago, sebastian666 said:

As of this morning, the Gandalf the Grey and Balrog Brickheadz are on Backorder on LEGO Shop At Home. Not sure that I’ve ever seen a Brickheadz set sell out so soon before… Hopefully, this demonstrates demand for the theme to LEGO. 

Mickey and Minnie kept selling out fast every time they refreshed stock.

All three LOTR BH are in stock for UK and Europe. It might be supply issues for North America.  You never know if something sold out due to high sales or low stock.

4 hours ago, sebastian666 said:

They were on back order about a week ago too

Just now, Triceron said:

Like, why even pick Rivendell as a set if you're not going to have minifigures of the Council of Elrond?  That's the entire point of a Rivendell set.  Otherwise I think there's plenty of other LOTR settings that be better for Microscale, like Osgiliath.

I hope you are correct as it'd be a huge disappointment if it was.  I am hoping we get more info about it soon so we know for sure.  If the rumour of it coming in March is true then it can't be the long that we havre to wait. 

5 hours ago, Triceron said:

To be honest Osgiliath is the last set I'd want a display piece for. Its not visually interesting and is easily bottom of the list when it comes to iconic LOTR locations.

Even when it gets requested as a future set on here it mostly seems to be army builders looking at it as an easy way to amass Gondor Soldiers at an affordable price rather than the setting itself having any sort of appeal on its own.

I wonder if they’d do just the council scene in minifig scale with the rest of Rivendell as a microscale forced-perspective backdrop. That way they could fit in the minifigures and some finer architectural details in the foreground, while still having the set feel like a relatively complete structure. 

6 hours ago, Atrius Kain said:

Interesting idea, did lego ever do a forced perspective set like this?

That is an interesting idea for sure. The issue I could see is that you need depth (i.e. the two parts of the set would be physically disconnected with space between?) and a specific view angle for forced perspective to work. This seems very restrictive both for play or display.

8 hours ago, Atrius Kain said:

Interesting idea, did lego ever do a forced perspective set like this?

Yes. Different size but same idea.

77903-1.original.png

9 hours ago, morthaur said:

I wonder if they’d do just the council scene in minifig scale with the rest of Rivendell as a microscale forced-perspective backdrop. That way they could fit in the minifigures and some finer architectural details in the foreground, while still having the set feel like a relatively complete structure. 

While I would prefer a fully minifig scale build, I think this idea would be a good compromise. I could also see the foreground featuring the gazebo that Aragorn and Arwen stand under when she gives him the Evenstar. Since that location is a bit removed from the Rivendell building, it could work nicely. 

I wouldn’t want a forced perspective type of set. The location deserves to be really done justice, and focusing on one section while the rest is forced into a microscale background sounds terrible to me

On 1/12/2023 at 8:40 PM, sebastian666 said:

While I have absolutely zero interest in Brickheadz (no, not even these), this sounds great to me! It's fun to see that there is actual interest for the theme.

Might be just US thing. In Europe it looks like all are still in stock ready for order.

Edited by sahidko

4 hours ago, Khargeust said:

It could not be in full minifigure scale for "so few" pieces and price in today's LEGO standards.

I think when most people say “minifig scale” they actually mean “regular system play scale”. Maybe a better term would be “minifig compatible”. 

18 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I think when most people say “minifig scale” they actually mean “regular system play scale”. Maybe a better term would be “minifig compatible”. 

Yeah, my biggest source of hope is the cloud city/ mos Eisley cantina sets from SW. Something in the master builder series style.

9 minutes ago, mtrsteve said:

Yeah, my biggest source of hope is the cloud city/ mos Eisley cantina sets from SW. Something in the master builder series style.

I think that would be ideal. Something focused on lots of minifigures while also having a detailed and complete build. And Rivendell is already perfect for that concept because it’s so open already, and rooftops could be made to be easily removed 

46 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I think that would be ideal. Something focused on lots of minifigures while also having a detailed and complete build. And Rivendell is already perfect for that concept because it’s so open already, and rooftops could be made to be easily removed 

I would love play scale as well, I’d even go for micro scale exterior with internal buildings at play scale with scenes like narsil, Frodo meeting bilbo etc.  might be a nice way to blend the scales and make a nice scene but still get mini figs.  So take a page out of Bespin and Death Star sets where there are scenes but then hide it within a micro scale model to get the scenery right.  (In this case the buildings could hide the scenes as you pointed out).  The Harry Potter castle would have been ten times better with this approach (captured exterior as they did in micro scale but with an interior with a few mini fog scenes and a bunch of mini figures).

Apologies if it’s been mentioned, but IF lego do with Rivendell what they did with the Hogwarts ‘sections’ that make up the whole school eventually then I’m in .. if the D2C is a microscale build I’ll probably just source the minifigures as I did with the house founders. 

Edited by Jarreth2