Sign in to follow this  
BrickbyBrickTechnic

[TC14] DOUBLE DISTORTION- FINISHED!

Hey everyone,

As an abundance of 42055 c models that have popped up in this contest, I have decided to switch things up and use 42043 to build my ride instead. Is 1 week enough time? I don't know! We'll see.

So my ride is based on SLEDGEHAMMER from Canada's Wonderland (really, it's a replication of its functions). 

So here's what I have so far. Th entire spinning-lifting mechanism with a base is basically done:

20180828_09043120180828_09043520180828_09041820180828_090426

And now, a video if you wish to see it work:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jxaWpVv4XngpzkZbj0AHW_69PdvMFaet/view?usp=sharing

(I'll put a better link soon)

So that's all, thanks for reading and I hope you have some faith in a 1-week ride!

Leave comments- BbBT

Edited by BrickbyBrickTechnic

4 hours ago, Magical Duck said:

This looks very interesting! How did you implement the "sledgehammer" action into the ride?

Thanks! I used a worm gear to engage and disengage a transmission to the red outrigger so it goes up with the gear train, and down using gravity.

18 hours ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

I used a worm gear to engage and disengage a transmission to the red outrigger so it goes up with the gear train, and down using gravity.

That is a brilliant mechanism! *oh2*

On 8/29/2018 at 11:33 AM, Magical Duck said:

That is a brilliant mechanism! *oh2*

Thank you! Though now I changed it because the gravity created some really jerky motion, so I changed it to this:

20180830_085736

The worm gear engages a multidirectional gearbox going to the outrigger block which then raises or lowers.

I also have arms attaches, with the start of carts.

20180830_085730

For the carts, I'm taking a page out of @Akbalder 's book and decided to have them rotating freely. There's no space for a rotation mechanism.

20180830_085801

Edited by BrickbyBrickTechnic

Nice mechanism!

37 minutes ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

For the carts, I'm taking a page out of @Akbalder 's book and decided to have them rotating freely. There's no space for a rotation mechanism.

It seems that on the real ride that you are copying, there are motors under the seats.
I'm not sure that it will work without them: On my ride, they rotate because they are heavier on the back and because the ride is leaning.

8 hours ago, Akbalder said:

Nice mechanism!

It seems that on the real ride that you are copying, there are motors under the seats.
I'm not sure that it will work without them: On my ride, they rotate because they are heavier on the back and because the ride is leaning.

Thanks!

I guess the motors are under the seats. Either way, I am only using 42043 stuff and the scale is too small for motors there, so yeah :sad:

As for the seats, I might be able to make them artificially lean (i.e change the mounting so the seats lean).

It's done! After a long, long day of building yesterday, it is done! I added a simple mechanism which allows the arm's height to fluctuate while in midair, so as both arms collectively raise, one falls and the other rises by a slight-ish amount.

I also added details and the black-red scheme looks pretty good IMO!

20180902_07113420180902_07102620180902_07103220180902_071021

Good pictures and a video will follow soon.

Nice work, the color scheme looks great!

BTW, I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but I think it really looks like a big robot... Maybe you should some kind of name that incorporates that, something like Robo-Spin maybe?

6 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

Nice work, the color scheme looks great!

BTW, I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but I think it really looks like a big robot... Maybe you should some kind of name that incorporates that, something like Robo-Spin maybe?

Thanks a lot!

Now that I look at the ride, I see the resemblance... \i'll think of a new name :wink:

DOUBLE DISTORTION

2018-09-03-17-48-23

Enter the realm of red and black with DOUBLE DISTORTION!

This ride is one for real thrill-seekers. It combines rotation, up and down motion, and a thrilling orientation change. 

The mechanism is all controlled by a single motor, which controls more than just rotational motion. There is a multi-directional gearbox which controls the up-down motion of the arms.

As well, this model is a C model of 42043. It uses about 1700 parts or around 60% of the set's parts. It's a break from 42055 I guess :excited:

Enough talking: here's the video!

There's an abundance of details, including a sign, a ticket-taker/operator's seat, a covered platform with a safety line, railings, and everything is minifig scale (or just about). The seats are minifig-compatible and have working restraints.

More pictures:

2018-09-03-17-55-232018-09-03-17-58-412018-09-03-17-42-23

So that's my entry. I hope you enjoy and vote!

BbBT

15 hours ago, AFOLegofan66 said:

I really like the way you made this! It looks great and the faces of those Minifig characters...fun stuff!!

Thank you very much!