Klaus-Dieter

2019 Friends Sets - Rumors and Discussion

1 minute ago, Robert8 said:

Holy crap.... When did Friends become the best LEGO line? *oh2*

Exactly my thoughts, sure there have been some great Friends sets over the years yet this upcoming wave is the best so far and the most exciting for the summer to me so many recolors and just new pieces with outstanding builds. 

Friends this summer has the largest amount of sets that interests me, the animal rescue (is that what they are called?) are great the coral color and white light house is such a great color scheme just not a fan of a random slide out of the side lol, the new coral piece looks great along with the sea shell/ marine life pack useful pieces. I like the new narwhal but not sure color wise why they picked pink regardless still cool and gives a chance for re-color to a more normal color in time. The submarine is something I never thought we would see from Friends but am glad color and shape wise I personally like it. 

Also something not noted yet is that a new map piece but its a fabric/paper? 

6 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Look at that Stephanie gymnastics set from this wave again and revise your statement. 

Look at the size of the wave, 1-3 meh sets compared to the rest still makes that statement valid. 

Just now, Nexogeek said:

Also something not noted yet is that a new map piece but its a fabric/paper? 

Yep. If you sae the fabric 'canvas' from Emma's Art Studio in the winter wave, where a pattern appears when you get it wet, it seems to use the same design. Wet the fabric and it'll reveal a treasure map. 

I can't decide whether that's clever or redundant in the context of it being found underwater . . 

Just now, Feng-huang0296 said:

Yep. If you sae the fabric 'canvas' from Emma's Art Studio in the winter wave, where a pattern appears when you get it wet, it seems to use the same design. Wet the fabric and it'll reveal a treasure map. 

I can't decide whether that's clever or redundant in the context of it being found underwater . . 

Just noticed when re-looking at the box, in context doesn't make sense outside of the context of the sets I like it as someone who loved Lego maps as a kid a piece like this would of been amazing

10 hours ago, Soupperson1 said:

I mean it’s only fair to the kids who missed out on those sets. Besides, I think that each designer has tried their best to make them as different as possible and have succeeded in the most part. It’s not like we’re getting vague space themed rides again or a light pink lighthouse with a shop next door. Even the boat has a really interesting interior and a bath for the Narwal. 

Yes, of course the kids and people who haven't heard of the older sets won't mind, but regardless, to me it feels kinda lazy. In contrast to you I also don't think that they necessarily tried their best. That Octopus Carousel set is just *ugh*. If there were at least some quality in there, perhaps I could get behind it, being that octopi rank among my favorite animals, but this just totally puts me off. But yes, thankfully there's the ocean-themed line that looks so much better, so I'll focus on that as well (and the gorgeous restaurant) :-) .

Mylenium

4 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Holy crap.... When did Friends become the best LEGO line?

It has been good for a while, the frequent dips in quality with really ugly sets notwithstanding. Most more conservative LEGO fans simply put too much face value on the colors putting them off. If they'd be more willing to look past that, they'd often discover interesting ideas. It's almost the same with the currently ongoing discussion about the 3in1 Creator sets being underappreciated...

Mylenium

well im amazed at how fantastic the amusement park sets are and im going to say something controversial that I think there better than the last theme park wave but then I love anything to do with sea life so im pretty biased on that front

I love the dolphin rescue set and another lighthouse is great too

anybody who speaks bad about this wave are pretty miserable in my opinion

question though im trying to figure on the amusement pier set where does the light brick go I think it may be the pirate ship coaster but im not too sure

That's a big ship, certainly seems very inspired by the 2013 Dolphin Cruiser.

If that's the Coral Color it's going to look very bright in real life for sure.

Edited by TeriXeri

Just now, TeriXeri said:

That's a big ship, certainly seems very inspired by the 2013 Dolphin Cruiser.

I agree although it may be a bit bigger in comparison

Just now, TheGlynreaper said:

I agree although it may be a bit bigger in comparison

It's certainly larger yes, I was just looking at the Boat Hull Brick 16 x 10 x 3 part to compare. It's been 4 years since it's used and now a new color.

Edited by TeriXeri

8 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Holy crap.... When did Friends become the best LEGO line? *oh2*

Probably it's second year when LEGO figured out how to blend colors. Everyone just overlooked it because of the lame minidolls. But Friends is really amazing and super underrated. When the buildings actually have three walls it's the best constant theme around. 

I wish the coral piece was the coral color but the little animals in coral make up for it. Really well designed sets. That boat is amazing and I love light houses but this one is too tall, too many windows and the slide is silly. The last one was sadly slightly too short. Soon LEGO will get the middle ground. 

2 hours ago, TheGlynreaper said:

question though im trying to figure on the amusement pier set where does the light brick go I think it may be the pirate ship coaster but im not too sure

Have a gander at the back side images on the box here:

https://www.promobricks.de/lego-friends-neuheiten-zweiten-halbjahr-2019-offizielle-setbilder

There is a small insert that shows the red light brick next to the skeleton on the ship, which is in turn placed behind the borded off window in teh aft section of the ship. so it stands to reason that it is meant as some sort of spooky house effect with the window lighting up red as well as settting the mood for the skeleton.

Mylenium

1 hour ago, Maple said:

I wish the coral piece was the coral color but the little animals in coral make up for it.

I'm pretty sure we'll see more colors of both. The coral piece seems to be designed in such a manner that it could also double as a cactus when the holes are plugged or multiple of these elements plugged together act as remnants of trees and bushes. Likewise I expect the fish set to come out at least in yellow and white at some point, as that would make perfect sense e.g. for the Butterfly Fish. There also should be Tan clam shells...

Mylenium

1 hour ago, Mylenium said:

Have a gander at the back side images on the box here:

https://www.promobricks.de/lego-friends-neuheiten-zweiten-halbjahr-2019-offizielle-setbilder

There is a small insert that shows the red light brick next to the skeleton on the ship, which is in turn placed behind the borded off window in teh aft section of the ship. so it stands to reason that it is meant as some sort of spooky house effect with the window lighting up red as well as settting the mood for the skeleton.

Mylenium

I'm pretty sure we'll see more colors of both. The coral piece seems to be designed in such a manner that it could also double as a cactus when the holes are plugged or multiple of these elements plugged together act as remnants of trees and bushes. Likewise I expect the fish set to come out at least in yellow and white at some point, as that would make perfect sense e.g. for the Butterfly Fish. There also should be Tan clam shells...

Mylenium

Yeah, I would not be at all surprised to see more coral colors in the future either. With Lego City's tendency to repeat subject matter, it should only be a matter of time before it features another ocean exploration theme, which may merit a wider variety of colors. And we'll probably see the part reused in Disney sets for The Little Mermaid, possibly in more colors there as well.

There's a small part of me that dreams of Elves coming back featuring mermaids as well... but that's probably a pipe dream.

What are the release dates? August or June please? 

Wow! Those sets are amazing, I love the way the friends pirate rides go with the creator three in one pirate rollercoaster. Submarine is cool and is that a pink narwhal in the boat set I see? There must be at least 4 turtles in theme turtle rescue set. 

Edited by Lego-fire

1 hour ago, Lego-fire said:

What are the release dates? August or June please? 

Wow! Those sets are amazing, I love the way the friends pirate rides go with the creator three in one pirate rollercoaster. Submarine is cool and is that a pink narwhal in the boat set I see? 

Definitely June in Europe I’m not sure about other regions, I’m sure what ever is usual.

And yup that’s a  punk narwhal. :)

13 hours ago, Mylenium said:

Yes, of course the kids and people who haven't heard of the older sets won't mind, but regardless, to me it feels kinda lazy. In contrast to you I also don't think that they necessarily tried their best. That Octopus Carousel set is just *ugh*. If there were at least some quality in there, perhaps I could get behind it, being that octopi rank among my favorite animals, but this just totally puts me off. But yes, thankfully there's the ocean-themed line that looks so much better, so I'll focus on that as well (and the gorgeous restaurant) :-) .

Really? I loved the Octopus Carousel! The octopus and smaller animal builds are all so cute and silly, and the function seems to work in a pretty creative way. But my favorite aspect is probably how the knob to spin the ride it is styled to resemble a little top hat! If there's anything about that set I'm underwhelmed by, it's the ticket stand, which is pretty flat — but overall it's a nifty little build that nicely reinforces the whole park's aquatic theme and stands out nicely from past LEGO Friends amusement park sets as well as the other current ones.

9 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Really? I loved the Octopus Carousel!

Yes, really. It just looks pretty *meh* to me. But each his own...

Mylenium

Looks to be a new printed waffle tile in 41375:

41375-Ice-Cream-Waffle-stand.jpg

All the Summer 2019 set images, including Summer Heart Boxes, Ocean Rescue, HLC, and Pier Fairground/Amusement Park on one page: http://friendsbricks.com/FriendsSetsSummer2019.html

New mini-doll versions added to Mini-dolls page: http://friendsbricks.com/Mini-dolls-2019.html including new-to-doll-form characters Lillie (with glasses) and Kacey (who appears to have Teal eyes).

Thank you all very much for the pics! :classic:

Like the amusument park sets some years ago (apart from the Hot Dog Van and that plays stand), I really dislike these sets this time, too! With their too much too girlish colors, there too small sizes and their missing details (e. g. the chairoplane is sompletely violet, fits only three minifigs and can't move up and down to let the minifigs enter), these sets can't go with the CE Fairground sets, the Creator 3 in 1 Caroussel and the Fairground People Pack from City. :thumbdown:

The animal rescue and underwater research sets aren't bad, but too kitschy and unrealistic. :sceptic:

In contrast, I apart from the unicorn whale really like the new elements included in these sets. :thumbup:

The only set I like is the restaurant: :wub:

Con:

- expensive

- no door from the kitchen (next to the pizza oven) to the outside

(I don't care about minidolls and their animals since I mostly don't use them anyway)

Pro:

+ much accessory

+ very nice interior

+ amazing exterior design

+ Mediterranean style is something completely new

+ buffet looks perfect and is a great addition

I really hope that there'll be an exclusive Friends sets as a big building (like last year's HLC Animal Care Center). Do you think that this might be the case? Otherwise this year will be the year I'll have bought the lowest number of Friends sets (namely the art studio and the restaurant) since the beginning of the Friends theme!

1 hour ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

I really hope that there'll be an exclusive Friends sets as a big building (like last year's HLC Animal Care Center). Do you think that this might be the case?

Don't think so. I doubt that the Animal Care Center is even selling well, given how other big sets like Mia's House or the Heartlake City Resort can be had for massive discounts and are more easily available. If at all I would imagine that there would be an exclusive set tying in with the Amusement Park theme this year. That would make a lot more sense, though I'm not sure what it would be, given that the other sets already cover a lot of ground. Otherwise with so many good Friends sets coming this summer I don't think there would be any reason to add even more and keep them exclusive...

Mylenium

I don’t know why the argument that the friends sets need not to have the girly colors even exists to be honest, this is not a continuation of city and creator after all. If the sets had ”normal” colors they wouldn’t be special. And also aside from the pink flags I think the sets just have nice colors like purple and yellow which we really need more of and I wouldn’t say are that girly. Even the other smaller amusement park sets have colors that are appropriate to the things they are  like the shark is blue or the turtle is green and so on

Edited by Rambo260

48 minutes ago, Rambo260 said:

I don’t know why the argument that the friends sets need not to have the girly colors even exists to be honest, this is not a continuation of city and creator after all. If the sets had ”normal” colors they wouldn’t be special. And also aside from the pink flags I think the sets just have nice colors like purple and yellow which we really need more of and I wouldn’t say are that girly. Even the other smaller amusement park sets have colors that are appropriate to the things they are  like the shark is blue or the turtle is green and so on

I agree, if Friends sets were the same as City/Creator in design and color, why have another theme at all.

If there's 1 place where sets color could be argued is the Classic theme, since some of them have so many colors you only get a few parts of each color.

Edited by TeriXeri

53 minutes ago, Rambo260 said:

I think the sets just have nice colors like purple and yellow which we really need more of and I wouldn’t say are that girly. 

The purple and yellow gym set from 2 (?) years ago was amazing. The pale yellow buildings are always great too. I wish LEGO would make the mason brick brick in pale yellow.

8 hours ago, Rambo260 said:

I don’t know why the argument that the friends sets need not to have the girly colors even exists to be honest, this is not a continuation of city and creator after all. If the sets had ”normal” colors they wouldn’t be special.

Agree. Though I believe most people's criticism would not necessarily be the colors themselves, but how they are used and that "Too much of a good thing can still be bad." thing. If you're using some colors too much they simply can become an eyesore just like forcing sets into the specific color themes associated with the girls may not always be smart and off-putting just as well. For the Amusement Park the argument could be made that there is this "Everything but the kitchen sink" feel to it, because they simply appear to have used like 20 or so colors just for the main parts, which perhaps is not ideal from a (graphical) design standpoint and feels unnecessary. A simple argument can for instance be made for the wall of the ship not having to be Lavender. It does nothing that couldn't have been achieved if it were just Reddish Brown like the rest and already reduced the abundance of colors. Similarly perhaps a bit less Dark Pink would make it more palatable to some people. Using it on the sails somehow feels too much and dominates the scene. Resorting to the paler pink already would have done a lot, but imagine how cool it could look if those stripes were Dark Red?! I could go on an on. My point is: It's all about finding a good balance and that seems to be amiss with Friends sets way too often. In that regard I think there is some validity to Klaus-Dieter's argument: Perhaps it's really a bit too over the top in this case.

Mylenium

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 7:20 AM, Klaus-Dieter said:

Thank you all very much for the pics! :classic:

Like the amusument park sets some years ago (apart from the Hot Dog Van and that plays stand), I really dislike these sets this time, too! With their too much too girlish colors, there too small sizes and their missing details (e. g. the chairoplane is sompletely violet, fits only three minifigs and can't move up and down to let the minifigs enter), these sets can't go with the CE Fairground sets, the Creator 3 in 1 Caroussel and the Fairground People Pack from City. :thumbdown:

The animal rescue and underwater research sets aren't bad, but too kitschy and unrealistic. :sceptic:

In contrast, I apart from the unicorn whale really like the new elements included in these sets. :thumbup:

The only set I like is the restaurant: :wub:

Con:

- expensive

- no door from the kitchen (next to the pizza oven) to the outside

(I don't care about minidolls and their animals since I mostly don't use them anyway)

Pro:

+ much accessory

+ very nice interior

+ amazing exterior design

+ Mediterranean style is something completely new

+ buffet looks perfect and is a great addition

I really hope that there'll be an exclusive Friends sets as a big building (like last year's HLC Animal Care Center). Do you think that this might be the case? Otherwise this year will be the year I'll have bought the lowest number of Friends sets (namely the art studio and the restaurant) since the beginning of the Friends theme!

stop being miserable there awesome just because you have no imagination , colourful pieces work because they are amusement park sets after all who wants to visit a fair with dull grey coloured rides