Klaus-Dieter

2019 Friends Sets - Rumors and Discussion

21 minutes ago, panagliamp said:

where can i find some of the new summer sets images?

Over on Instagram under the hashtag #legoleaks:wink:

On 3/31/2019 at 9:24 PM, Lego-fire said:

Isn’t it from the fun at the theme park people pack? There’s a hook a duck there 

It can be found in both. :3

On 3/31/2019 at 2:11 AM, Nexogeek said:

While some I need to see better pictures before a final judgement on first glance the turtle rescue, the submarine, the small amusement park ride are my top 3 favorites. The large amusement park set is one that the picture doesn't really show it off that great to form an opinion but as @Rambo260 said I hope that its a new color mermaid tail as well in the final product, and the use of the new crown as a broken shell is a perfect reuse and will be great to use with the baby raptors! I hope that 4+ store has some useful new prints if not then an easy pass and the heart boxes don't do it for me. I am kinda torn on the lighthouse I think after some reviews ill end up really liking it the use of the new coral color instead of a pink appeals to me more and if my budget wasn't so limited that large ship would be a buy maybe on clearance I hope that the possible baby beluga whale or whatever it is will be for sale on bricks and pieces for a decent price and hopefully Lego says somewhere on the box what it actually is. 

Also upon looking at the grocery store again is that cart a new piece? It doesn't look quite like a brick built one but rather more like the scooters where its a piece then the handle bars attach. 

The cart does look like a new piece, that’s quite exciting! It also suggest we’ll get a normal non 4 plus supermarket soon.

On 3/30/2019 at 4:21 PM, Ragana9289 said:

They should have made a Heart Box for the Vicki.

I think it’s odd that they have eleven sets based off heart boxes and all of those come with a friend. I doubt many kids will want both the winter ones and the summer ones. If the summer heart boxes have exclusive outfits I doubt anyone who haven’t purchased them yet will want the winter ones. XP 

We have had a few friends set with a sole minidoll who wasn’t one of the main five but I doubt they sold well as they don’t make them anymore. That being said I think it would’ve been nice if they accommodated for that and did a dual pack of two similar to the Ninjago dual spinners from this year. It would’ve been a nice cheap way for kids to get a side character.

I think it’s bizzare the heart boxes now have new outfits, as I said before who will want the winter ones? XD It’s lovely to see them nevertheless, especially a new skirt for Olivia’s skin tone! I love how each of these outfits have an unique style to them, but still give off the beach theme. Andreas is my personal favorite, I love her new teal skirt. Zobo’s binoculars are actually a new mould which is also exciting. 

One thing that is really off is the colours of these boxes. Why do they all have a strip of coral and aqua? It just seems odd that kids who are lucky enough to get all 5 will have 5 very similar looking boxes from the side. XD Emma’s set suggests the designers are straying away from the strict colour scheme. Her 2x4 tile is azure (Stephanie’s main colour) and her outfit consists of navy and basic blue, none of those colours are part of her colour scheme. Let’s hope we start getting Olivia in different colours if we’re not going to get non Disney Princess characters with her skin tone. Lastly did anyone else notice Emma uses Clay’s helmet instead of last year’s go kart subtheme one? I find that crazy, didn’t they produce that mould just to appeal to girls as they wanted to see hair from out of the helmets?

Oh and that German site from yesterday that had the photos, listed a new Friends set: 41337 Swing with Looping in the Amusement Park:laugh:

I like all the outfits, but I have to say I do not enjoy how repetitive the colors are. My favorite is Andreas and Emma’s mostly because of the cool outfits. Does anyone know if the other sets have official pics now?

19 hours ago, LegoMyMamma said:

Thanks for that info!

10 hours ago, Soupperson1 said:

Why do they all have a strip of coral and aqua?

I don't mind. For the time being one can never have enough of those colors and that alone is incentive enough to at least buy some of the sets as a parts source. I also like the animals and little bits like the black sausage in some sets. that should be useful for detailing my own creations.

It just seems odd that kids who are lucky enough to get all 5 will have 5 very similar looking boxes from the side.

Actually they'll just look like the striped pattern of a lighthouse, a beach chair, a beach towel or whatever you would imagine. I believe that is the intention.

Emma’s set suggests the designers are straying away from the strict colour scheme.

That has been going on for a while already and I'm actually welcoming it. In the end the lack of distinction across sets always has been one of my key criticisms with Friends sets. It's almost easier to get an army of cloned Emma, Andrea or Olivia minidolls than it is to get a squadron of actual Star Wars Clone Troopers.

Her 2x4 tile is azure

Not really an issue, or is it? They are printed, after all. I tend to think the intention is merely to give some differentiation and incentive to actually buy the sets.

Oh and that German site from yesterday that had the photos,

Care to spell out the name?

Mylenium

On 4/20/2019 at 9:03 AM, Mylenium said:

I don't mind. For the time being one can never have enough of those colors and that alone is incentive enough to at least buy some of the sets as a parts source. I also like the animals and little bits like the black sausage in some sets. that should be useful for detailing my own creations.

Actually they'll just look like the striped pattern of a lighthouse, a beach chair, a beach towel or whatever you would imagine. I believe that is the intention.

I know adults love coral but I can’t see kids demanding it over any other pastel colour. A lot of kids don’t buy sets for parts packs and they’re obviously the main demographic xD I didn’t catch the stripes looking like a light house or beach chair, props to you for realizing that. Hopefully it’ll look more clear when they’re stacked on top of each other. :P

That has been going on for a while already and I'm actually welcoming it. In the end the lack of distinction across sets always has been one of my key criticisms with Friends sets. It's almost easier to get an army of cloned Emma, Andrea or Olivia minidolls than it is to get a squadron of actual Star Wars Clone Troopers.

Im kind of confused what you mean here? Wasn’t the unique colour schemes what made them unique? I mean I guess since the reboot Mia only where’s shorts and trousers and Andreas outfits are a bit flashy. But apart from those there’s nothing that really makes their outfits unique apart from the colours and Emma’s outfit doesn’t use her colours. 

Not really an issue, or is it? They are printed, after all. I tend to think the intention is merely to give some differentiation and incentive to actually buy the sets.

Not really I just find it odd they make Emma’s tile in one of Stephanie’s colours where all the others’ tiles are in their own colour :P

Care to spell out the name?

Mylenium

41337 Swing With Looping in the Amusment Park, the name doesn’t sound very final.

Speaking of the Amusement Park, there’s blurry final pictures of the two retail sets on Instagram.

41373 uses no stickers by the looks of things. I know some people were looking forward to the clam piece in teal, but in the final images it’s medium lavender. Andrea uses her legs from the Park Performance set, I think her torso is the one from The Accessory Store from last year. I think the boy included is Daniel, who seems to be wearing a new olive green jumper.

41375 looks almost identical to the preliminary images. No major differences except the background is a lot less clear and it’s very obvious the Ferris wheel is not included. The mermaid seems to use Ariel’s tail in the same colours which is super dissapointing.

I swear if the tail in the amusement park is the same as Ariel’s I’m gonna call lego ? 

i just noticed that Emma’s heartbox uses the light blue tile because it’s one of her colors. If you take a look at Emma’s sets light blue appears sometimes like magenta appears in Olivia’s sets and they use this color for the  summer heartbox

Edited by Rambo260

9 hours ago, Rambo260 said:

I swear if the tail in the amusement park is the same as Ariel’s I’m gonna call lego ? 

i just noticed that Emma’s heartbox uses the light blue tile because it’s one of her colors. If you take a look at Emma’s sets light blue appears sometimes like magenta appears in Olivia’s sets and they use this color for the  summer heartbox

Looks like you’ll be calling LEGO then :wink:

I never noticed that about Emma’s sets, that’s pretty random. None of the girls use Light Royal Blue or Dark Azur I’m suprised they didn’t give her one of those. 

17 hours ago, Soupperson1 said:

Wasn’t the unique colour schemes what made them unique?

Or boring? Times are changing, obviously. E.g the Emma from Emma's Art Studio (41365) doesn't even use a single splash of her traditional Lavender.

18 hours ago, Soupperson1 said:

I know adults love coral but I can’t see kids demanding it over any other pastel colour.

Well, but then they didn't have a chance to actually see it yet unless they bought the Pop-Up Party Bus, do they? The more the color is used, the more the kids will simply get used to it and adapt. And not to put too fine a point to it: That pastel color thing is merely that "princess syndrome" driven by the adults, so to kids it doesn't really matter, anyway. For all intents and purposes, those heart boxes could be any color and kids would like or dislike them just as much in equal measure as if they were in harmonious pastels...

Mylenium

1 hour ago, Mylenium said:

Or boring? Times are changing, obviously. E.g the Emma from Emma's Art Studio (41365) doesn't even use a single splash of her traditional Lavender.

But you wanted them to stand out :P The 41365 Emma was the first to stop wearing South Korean inspired clothing so there’s nothing about her the makes her obviously Emma. I guess their attempt to make all the girls wear different unique clothes in 2018 didn’t go well with kids? 

1 hour ago, Mylenium said:

Well, but then they didn't have a chance to actually see it yet unless they bought the Pop-Up Party Bus, do they? The more the color is used, the more the kids will simply get used to it and adapt. And not to put too fine a point to it: That pastel color thing is merely that "princess syndrome" driven by the adults, so to kids it doesn't really matter, anyway. For all intents and purposes, those heart boxes could be any color and kids would like or dislike them just as much in equal measure as if they were in harmonious pastels...

I mean a lot of these summer sets are going to have coral, so if they get any of the Water Rescue sets they’ll receive a few bricks in that colour. :P I mean usually kids will prefer things in their favorite colour, the pastels don’t only exist in Friends because of the “princess syndrome”. Girls generally like the pastel colours and gravitate towards them. LEGO spent 4 million dollars researching the theme back in 2008-2011 and  I’m sure they spent a fair amount again for the reboot, of girls didn’t care about colours there wouldn’t be such a strong focus on them.

Putting the crab in Emma’s box reminds me a lot of the lobster that appeared as a toy for her in the amusement park cartoons from 2016. Could it be a reference?

5 hours ago, Soupperson1 said:

Girls generally like the pastel colours and gravitate towards them.

Nope, they don't. This alleged color preference is utterly nurture, not nature. It's a cliché that arose some time in the late 1960s when suddenly these colors were excessively used by Mattel et al for girls toys. You can even see this in historic doll houses etc. - before a certain point pink and other "pastel" colors didn't exist or were used in different contexts like traditional pastel "lead green" for wallpapers. It's really an industry-driven bad trend and you can easily disprove it. There are parents and kindergartens who raise their kids without all this nonsense and keep things "neutral" in Sweden for instance. Those kids don't gravitate to any specific color if they have never been influenced to learn those false sterotypes. Of course one could argue that because these days it's impossible to escape this madness due to media overflow and kids easily becoming jelaeous of other kids and wanting the same toys there's a self-amplifying trend here, but in the grander educational ansd socio-cultural context kids have no natural inclination to value some colors higher than others.

Mylenium

6 hours ago, Mylenium said:

Nope, they don't. This alleged color preference is utterly nurture, not nature. It's a cliché that arose some time in the late 1960s when suddenly these colors were excessively used by Mattel et al for girls toys. You can even see this in historic doll houses etc. - before a certain point pink and other "pastel" colors didn't exist or were used in different contexts like traditional pastel "lead green" for wallpapers. It's really an industry-driven bad trend and you can easily disprove it. There are parents and kindergartens who raise their kids without all this nonsense and keep things "neutral" in Sweden for instance. Those kids don't gravitate to any specific color if they have never been influenced to learn those false sterotypes. Of course one could argue that because these days it's impossible to escape this madness due to media overflow and kids easily becoming jelaeous of other kids and wanting the same toys there's a self-amplifying trend here, but in the grander educational ansd socio-cultural context kids have no natural inclination to value some colors higher than others.

Mylenium

That's the thing, though, isn't it? The nature vs. nurture argument is a distraction, at least when it comes to Lego. Lego Friends did not win over girls more than any previous themes by targeting its sets toward an imaginary market of girls unbiased by any acculturated preferences. On the contrary, Friends' success came from carefully studying the interests and preferences of actual girls (especially girls who WEREN'T already fans of Lego and its other themes) and "meeting them halfway" with a building toy that featured all the educational and developmental benefits of Lego's other themes but still appealed to those "gendered" preferences.

The results have shown that, yes, for the most part, a huge percentage of girls DO prefer those brighter colors. That doesn't mean that all girls have to, but for the most part, girls who like bolder, more traditionally "masculine" colors might find things that they prefer better in the many other themes that already do use colors like this. And it would be wrong for Lego to avoid those more traditionally "girly" color schemes on the basis that they were less legitimate than those of girls that preferred other colors. Kids don't care where their interests and preferences came from, after all. It doesn't change that those preferences are, as far as they're concerned, innately theirs, and to deny them that is ultimately more harmful than to foster those passions in a constructive direction.

Edited by Lyichir

That Italian restaurant is AMAZING! MAMMA MIA! As an Italian I can confirm this is a very accurate style and I just love the name”La locanda”. And if you look closely theres the Italian boot on the sign. I also love the grapes hanging down the roof. Figures are cute but they all have existing parts, only one I could see being new is the face for the chef. Also the recolor in lavender for the cutlery and plates mini set and the scooter( is it a new color?) are wonderful. I also love the garbage bin ( sorry if it’s the wrong term)

as for the other set , it’s cute. Mia has the same torso as the one in the summer heartbox. My favorite thing is the yellow skirt with light skin for Vicky. I have wanted a yellow skirt for light skin so much. The builds are cute but a bit creepy to me for some reason? There’s just something off putting. 

I wonder if the other pics will show up soon

Edited by Rambo260

8 hours ago, Mylenium said:

Nope, they don't. This alleged color preference is utterly nurture, not nature.

Whether it's nurture or nature makes no difference when many kids have already been subjected to all sorts of parental and peer pressure by the time they're old enough for LEGO Friends or other System themes. Nobody is born with a favorite color, but that doesn't make their learned color preferences any less real to them.

Gender differences related to color aren't just about preferences, either. For example, there have been well-publicized studies finding that women in the sample group tended to identify colors using more varied and nuanced vocabulary while men in the sample group were more likely to use basic color terms like "red", "blue", and "green", and that women were able to match or differentiate between colors with more accuracy — which seems like one of the possible motivations for LEGO Friends using a much broader range of colors than many boy-oriented themes.

I am pretty confident that this is likewise a learned skill, since girls are often brought up with more societal pressure to care about things like beauty and aesthetics, while boys are discouraged from caring too much about such things due to social stigma that caring a lot about appearances is superficial or effeminate. I've seen quite a few rants in the past few years about Beau Brummell's influence in cultivating an ideal that men's fashion should be all about maintaining a painstaking sense of plainness (e.g. impeccable hygiene but no obvious cosmetic flourishes, or impeccably fitted suits but only in unassuming colors like black, brown, navy, and khaki).

But regardless, I don't think it's realistic to argue that kids of any gender aren't going to care at ALL about what colors a set uses. By age five, many kids will already have a sense of what colors they like or dislike, whether in general or in particular contexts. I've heard anecdotes from LEGO designers about some kids in playtesting sessions becoming outright angry or upset if they feel like a set is in the "wrong" color (e.g. a fire engine that isn't red).

I also think it's misleading to refer to LEGO Friends colors as "harmonious pastels". Color harmony is as much about how colors are used as it is about which colors are used, and is hardly particular to "girly" colors. And pastel colors are light colors of medium intensity, such as the Light Green grass, Light Yellow beaches, and Light Reddish Violet accents in many Paradisa sets.

Pastel would NOT describe many of the other colors people sometimes think of as "girly" or associate with LEGO Friends like Dark Azur, Bright Reddish Violet, Medium Lilac, Flame Yellowish Orange, and Bright Bluish Green. Even Bright Purple (Dark Pink) is deeper than what would usually be called pastel. That said… I wouldn't be surprised if the pastel colors are the ones in LEGO Friends sets that many male LEGO fans are most likely to have an aversion to.

3 hours ago, Rambo260 said:

That Italian restaurant is AMAZING! MAMMA MIA! As an Italian I can confirm this is a very accurate style and I just love the name”La locanda”. And if you look closely theres the Italian boot on the sign. I also love the grapes hanging down the roof. Figures are cute but they all have existing parts, only one I could see being new is the face for the chef. Also the recolor in lavender for the cutlery and plates mini set and the scooter( is it a new color?) are wonderful. I also love the garbage bin ( sorry if it’s the wrong term)

as for the other set , it’s cute. Mia has the same torso as the one in the summer heartbox. My favorite thing is the yellow skirt with light skin for Vicky. I have wanted a yellow skirt for light skin so much. The builds are cute but a bit creepy to me for some reason? There’s just something off putting. 

I adore that set as well! When I saw that set, I not only felt like wanted to buy it, I felt like I wanted to eat at that restaurant—which probably says something about how well it captures that authentic Italian feel. Lots of great parts, too—purple "ice cream" parts for grapes, the new 1x1 dome brick in three colors, and the 1x2 "double half arch" piece in white for the first time!

13 hours ago, Rambo260 said:

The chef’s face is actually Alicia’s. I find it bizzare for the first time ever I believe they’re bringing back minidoll prints that aren’t on the production line. Mia’s baker outfit in particular is a really  weird inclusion. Do you think this could point at a Friends legacy wave similar to the SW and Ninjago legacy sets from this year?  

I also thought the bike was new but it’s just new to Friends, it appeared in a creator set this year.

13 hours ago, Rambo260 said:

I’m just glad we’re getting yellow clothes in general. All previous yellow clothes were flame yellowish orange or light yellow. I’m not sure why we have to see Vicky again and again, but her thick eyebrows and grey eyes (albeit a lot darker :P) match me better than any minidoll so I’m happy to get that face again. You’re not going to like the Octopus Carousel if you find these builds creepy xD

10 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Lots of great parts, too—purple "ice cream" parts for grapes, the new 1x1 dome brick in three colors, and the 1x2 "double half arch" piece in white for the first time!

I do wonder why this set in particular had such a big budget for recolours. :P 

1 hour ago, Soupperson1 said:

The chef’s face is actually Alicia’s. I find it bizzare for the first time ever I believe they’re bringing back minidoll prints that aren’t on the production line. Mia’s baker outfit in particular is a really  weird inclusion. Do you think this could point at a Friends legacy wave similar to the SW and Ninjago legacy sets from this year? 

I know I certainly don't mind Alicia's face being reused, since I really want to create a mini-doll sigfig and Alicia's face (blue eyes, light skin, and glasses with warm-colored frames) is perfect. This will be a great opportunity for me to get it in a set I'm interested in anyhow instead of having to pay BrickLink prices to get the Alicia head or full mini-doll individually (and usually from sellers who don't carry other types of parts I'm interested in).

1 hour ago, Soupperson1 said:

I do wonder why this set in particular had such a big budget for recolours. :P 

Since we have yet to see finalized pics of a lot of the other summer sets, it's quite possible that some of these parts (particularly the basic ones like the arches and 1x1 domes) might also be appearing in other sets from the same wave. It's not as though colors like Bright Reddish Violet, Bright Orange, and White would be difficult to find other applications for within the Friends theme.