Sign in to follow this  
lego3584

[MOC] Walking Steampunk Fortress

43568668774_810ab78aec_z.jpg

Hey guys,

Some of you may remember the time a few years ago when the first rumours about the Lego Nexo Knights theme began to surface.
Some sources claimed to know, that the theme would be Castle combined with Steampunk elements. Some said, the set that we today
know as 70317 The Fortrex was actually going to be a giant walking Steampunk fortress. I was really fascinated by those descriptions.
Of course, as we all know today, the actually Nexo Knights theme had nothing to do with Steampunk, which really disappointed me.
But the picture of a big Steampunk Castle still was floating in my head and so I decided to just build one.
What you can see here is the result of that decision: A Steampunk version of the "Fortrex" indeed.

5696175-o_1clourr1n1n41etltkdvdn1766t-th

It has got everything a proper Lego Castle needs: Drawbridge, Cranes, 2 towers at the front, 1 in the back... and it can walk on four feet powered by a steam engine
with giant smokestack! It's pretty cool, isn't it?

It took me a long time to build this model but I'm really satisfied with the overall outcome. The biggest challenge for me was designing the legs because I wanted them to be
kind of posable but still had to allow them to hold the high weight of the castle above. I also had a lot of fun finding ways to use interesting looking parts and colours
in strange "steampunky" ways.

For more pictures and information you can visit the Lego Ideas page of this model: 
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/9bd75f34-22e7-4146-8e02-089cfb9314e4 

And if you're already there I of course would be very thankful if you could support the project. ;-)

I'm also interested in your opinion regarding Nexo Knights: Would you have had preferred a Steampunk version of the theme or were you happy with what it turned out to be?

I'm looking forward to reading you're comments!

Edited by lego3584

*Insert obligatory Howl's Moving Castle Analogy here* :tongue:

Other than that, It looks amazing, I love me some steampunk!

Gorgeous building!! This LDD creation looks awesome, but I'm afraid that ball joints for legs would be too weak for real model :(

And I like horse in the link!

45 minutes ago, Marishka said:

Gorgeous building!! This LDD creation looks awesome, but I'm afraid that ball joints for legs would be too weak for real model :(

And I like horse in the link!

You had me going to comment that this was a real world creation for a second there, but then I noticed the awkward shadow angle. I agree with @Marishka about the ball joints, they won't take the weight. However, I think this is an awesome display of steampunk-ery and very much better than what we received in Nexo Knights. Bravo sir on nearly fooling me! :wink:

8 hours ago, Eggyslav said:

*Insert obligatory Howl's Moving Castle Analogy here* :tongue:

Actually I never watched that movie. Should I have? :sweet:

1 hour ago, Marishka said:

Actually It's not LDD but a real model. The legs work perfectly fine, even though they are carrying a lot of weight. I used tires on the feet for extra stability and it all worked out to my own surprise.

@Murdoch17 The shadow was added after removing the original background of the photo. I'm just learning to use the programs for that so I'm not an expert.  The shadow is not perfect for sure but it looks better than without it. :wink:

Thank you all for your comments!

Edited by lego3584

Just now, lego3584 said:

Actually It's not LDD but a real model. The legs work perfectly fine, even though they are carrying a lot of weight. I used tires on the feet for extra stability and it all worked out to my own surprise.

@Murdoch17 The shadow was added after removing the original background of the photo. I'm just learning to use the programs for that so I'm not an expert.  The shadow is not perfect for sure but it looks better than without it. :wink:

Oh, exuse me then! :) The photo is so crisp and that shadow seems artifical, so I thought that is model with cool render :)) And great that it is solid enough in real

36 minutes ago, lego3584 said:

Well, I guess I had it coming: I debated back and forth for about five minutes about whether this was a digital creation real or not, I guess I should look more carefully next time! Anyway, it's still an awesome model, and I'm still sad that Nexo Knights didn't turn out to be this!

19 hours ago, lego3584 said:

I didn't either :tongue: , But The titular castle really looks similar to your MOC, just an observation from my part. :laugh:

18 hours ago, Eggyslav said:

I didn't either :tongue: , But The titular castle really looks similar to your MOC, just an observation from my part. :laugh:

After looking closely at pictures from the film, I have to say that you're right: Some similarities are undeniably existent. Kind of funny. :laugh: