Sign in to follow this  
adde51

Crossing the desert - Kaliphlin sig-fig introduction

So this is a little vig I made to introduce my sig-fig in GoH. I went with sort of a cartoon-ish look for the desert (probably inspired by som old super mario that I have been playing with the kids lately, haha!). Trying to get used to the EB-forum as well so I guess this also serves as somewhat of a test to see if I am able to post something correctly (if not, feel free to correct me :laugh:). 

29135383067_5fe6dffccf_c.jpg

44072233061_1ea473b220_c.jpg

Anyways, this is Tabib D'Odo. A doctor/healer and somewhat of a religious leader in Mophet. His healing abilities and knowledge was most likely passed on to him from his father, a rather absent man who spent his life travelling throughout the world in search of knowledge (even venturing in the darker parts of Nocturnus...). 
Tabib D'Odo spent his youth and adolescence in the Siccus Badlands, which was a hard as one might imagine. As he got older, he earned a living on the oil road, helping transport the valuable commodity through the terrain he knew all too well. Unlike many of his comrades though, he always had a desire to do more, and he spent many night studying his father's old journals. 

One day while working on a transport, he and his travellers were ambushed by a band of Lerik'ai and he was injured. The rest of his companions were all killed. Close to his death, dehydrated and injured, he saw a snake wriggling past him. The snake looked at him briefly and seemed to gaze into his very soul. Tabib D'Odo gathered his last efforts and followed the snake (hoping he might be able to kill and eat the snake before his own demise) as it made its way towards some nearby rocks. Behind the rocks, Tabib D'Odo was astonished to discover a small spring in the otherwise dry desert. The water helped him survive and he finally made his way to safety. 

The incident with the snake made a deep impression on Tabib D'Odo and he began to believe in a higher power, with the snake as the most sacred symbol of this. Settling in Mophet - a small town to the east of Barqa, along the oil road - he was able to help the community grow as both a healer/doctor, as well as a spiritual leader. His desire to help people, of all backgrounds, helped keep Mophet somewhat safe from the otherwise harsh treatment most towns along the oil road experienced. 

So that's the beginning of my sig-figs story :) Hope you liked it! I got some (a lot of...) builds planned and am looking forward to exploring the world and hopefully making Mophet a more important part of it. Cheers!

Great sand formations and plants. Also really like the baggage setup on the horse and that path. The story is also good: personal development, backstory, and a hint at future goals are all here!

I do think it might be a bit strange for your fig to just be Saruman essentially, though. You may want to change the clothes a little to differentiate the fig from LotR. But it may also not matter at all! Your call.

Edited by mccoyed

31 minutes ago, mccoyed said:

Great sand formations and plants. Also really like the baggage setup on the horse and that path. The story is also good: personal development, backstory, and a hint at future goals are all here!

I do think it might be a bit strange for your fig to just be Saruman essentially, though. You may want to change the clothes a little to differentiate the fig from LotR. But it may also not matter at all! Your call.

Thanks for the feedback! He will probably get a few more outfits during the course of the story but I wanted him to be in his ”official” clothes when introducing him. But I see your (valid) point :wink:

I agree with mccoyed on the fig.  The sand is well done and i like the green and red plant.  I just find it odd to have cobblestone in the desert.  Everything else is pretty good.  

Nice build! I appreciate the cartoony vibe of the sand, since I am sure somewhere in all the sands of Kaliphlin there really is an area that looks like that. Looking forward to seeing what else you can build and how the story progresses!

Actually, I really like the cartoonish looking desert, all those curves look very nice! Though the tan sheet doesn't contrast very well with all the sand (maybe dark red or green could have added a cool drop of colour?), the packed horse is a really cool detail :thumbup: 

Cool build and a good use of the permitted overhang... I specifically love the cactus/flower design, something new and craetive.

15 hours ago, zoth33 said:

I agree with mccoyed on the fig.  The sand is well done and i like the green and red plant.  I just find it odd to have cobblestone in the desert.  Everything else is pretty good.  

The cobblestone is a bit wierd, agreed. Had a bit of a hard time figuring out how to show the road in a contrasting way without using it though. Figured the road was there and then the sand blew in and covered some of it :wink:

12 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

Nice build! I appreciate the cartoony vibe of the sand, since I am sure somewhere in all the sands of Kaliphlin there really is an area that looks like that. Looking forward to seeing what else you can build and how the story progresses!

Thanks man! The building is progressing nicely It's been a blast joining this whole thing and building in the Kaliphlin-theme!

3 hours ago, TitusV said:

Actually, I really like the cartoonish looking desert, all those curves look very nice! Though the tan sheet doesn't contrast very well with all the sand (maybe dark red or green could have added a cool drop of colour?), the packed horse is a really cool detail :thumbup: 

Cheers! Good point about the tan cloth :classic:

3 hours ago, narbilu said:

Cool build and a good use of the permitted overhang... I specifically love the cactus/flower design, something new and craetive.

Thanks, glad you liked it! 

Just now, W Navarre said:

Wonderful, great fig, and I really like the pack-horse! 

Thanks man, nice to see you here as well by the way :wink:

I really like the lumpy desert you've got here, and also your way of slinging the pack over the horse's back!  And great combination of colors for the ground!

Just now, Kai NRG said:

I really like the lumpy desert you've got here, and also your way of slinging the pack over the horse's back!  And great combination of colors for the ground!

Thank you man, appreciate it! A really fun little build, and more is in progress :wink: :laugh:

Really like the whole story!  The scene is great, especially the path and the plants.  I would not have expected lime green to work in the desert, but it's great!  I was a little amused; from a first glance, the sauraman torso looks like he's wearing a bow tie!

Great character and introduction, welcome to the guilds and enjoy it!!

19 minutes ago, Grover said:

Really like the whole story!  The scene is great, especially the path and the plants.  I would not have expected lime green to work in the desert, but it's great!  I was a little amused; from a first glance, the sauraman torso looks like he's wearing a bow tie!

Glad to hear! Lime is pretty so I'm glad you liked it. I noticed that bow tie-look he was rocking as well after I looked at the pics :laugh_hard:

10 minutes ago, Niku said:

Great character and introduction, welcome to the guilds and enjoy it!!

Thanks! I'm already enjoying it plenty :laugh:

51 minutes ago, Andrew Spader said:

lovely detailing, the smoothness of the sand is perfect IMO

Glad you liked it :classic:. Thought it would be a fun way to introduce him, plus I've been longing for an excuse to build some desert MOCs :laugh:

The dark orange looks very nice amidst the tan sand :thumbup: I like the use of prefab tan bushes as well, don't think I had seen them in regular tan before :classic:

2 hours ago, soccerkid6 said:

The dark orange looks very nice amidst the tan sand :thumbup: I like the use of prefab tan bushes as well, don't think I had seen them in regular tan before :classic:

Thank you man! Really starting to like the dark orange, as it contrasts rather nicely with a lot of other colours :classic:. Been using it quite a bit in the MOCs I've been working on lately, been sprinkling in some tan bushes as well :laugh: .

16 hours ago, The Last of Nergoue said:

Really nice, the terrain is very interesting.

Thank you, glad you think so! :classic: Something about deserts that are just fun to build, haha!

Lovely little build, adde, i really like the road spilling out of the black border. The loaded packhorse looks great and the brickbuilt plant makes a  lovely highlight too. Welcome to the guilds, and welcome to Kaliphlin! :classic:

2 hours ago, Gabe said:

Lovely little build, adde, i really like the road spilling out of the black border. The loaded packhorse looks great and the brickbuilt plant makes a  lovely highlight too. Welcome to the guilds, and welcome to Kaliphlin! :classic:

Thank you good sir! :wink: Really excited about joining Kaliphlin and a lot of MOCs are on the way :laugh:

Great scene! I really like mocs when the scenery comes out of the border like yours here! 

4 hours ago, de Gothia said:

Great scene! I really like mocs when the scenery comes out of the border like yours here! 

Thank you (tackar :wink:)! It does add a little more more I think, glad you liked it. 

Apparently never commented here, but as I’ve said before: nice introductory build and great to have you in Kaliphlin :classic: