Sign in to follow this  
ProvenceTristram

[MOC] 10-gun (full hull) pirate ketch "Pelican"

Prototype (sort of; I feel like there's a lot of leeway when it comes to age of sail ships and what we produce in Lego. This is the basic idea, but I wasn't trying to clone it 100%):

UqTi2v3.jpg

MOC:

8hYOvfK.png

q0Cf169.png

EeqDdrj.png

lzBWgSK.png

LJTZNzB.png

xMPNn1J.png

Also, one non-Bluerender shot of the cabin interior (the roof is removable) and its organ (what pirate ship is complete without one?). There's also a bunk and writing desk for the captain (neither pictured):

Om6PACj.png

Edited by ProvenceTristram

One more update - I tore it all down a second time and tried to halfway it. Even though this sacrifices a bit of interior space, I like that it's shaped just a bit closer to the real thing, with the stern narrowing just slightly.

97vpt5m.png

oWBsMt7.png

I have to say, I prefer the yellow and white to the green and white.

It looks really good, I hope you get a chance to build it!

Ripped off the top layer to add some sheer (just two plate's worth at the bow and stern). Not exactly sure if I like the result or not. Early 18th century Ketches did not have a great deal of curvature in their hulls... but it was there. I just don't know if it is justified in breaking up the more uniform overall look. Any thoughts?

RufTVjm.png

vxHDx3m.png

It's a nice little MOC. Can't wait to see it in real bricks. I prefer the second one.

On 8/26/2018 at 3:00 AM, ProvenceTristram said:

I tore it all down a second time and tried to halfway it. Even though this sacrifices a bit of interior space, I like that it's shaped just a bit closer to the real thing, with the stern narrowing just slightly.

Yes this looks better. Not like a box. I really love your decoration at the stern.
But imao a bigger figurehead would look much better. You could place a pearl gold minifig or a mermaid without the legs. So it looks like it comes out of the bow of the ship.

Also your yards are too small and too thin for the size of the boat. To be able to build taller ones you can use technic axle connectors in black. You can take a look in other MOCs or in the 10210. To hold the flag on the stern with both clips you can use a minifig lance (3849). It is higher tan the normal Bar 6l with stop.

I went ahead and designed a pelican figurehead. Not *super* happy with it, but I am honestly not sure how it could have been done more effectively at this scale.

KkD97Yu.png

A close loved on died tonight, so I decided to try to distract myself by significantly lengthening the hull. Ultimately, I feel like this had to be done - while I was happy with the length of the original, the width had bothered me. This new version is far, far close to the proportions of the real deal.

Z92TEZM.jpg

45USXos.png

FL2kVOo.png

76wDD3A.png

fbBIx1q.png

om7uLeX.png

Yes. This is what I meant. It looks better now than before.

Just a little note to the figurehead. In the age of sail the name of the ship had nothing to do with the style of the figurehead. So the ships had completely different names which where not related to the figurehead. Just said this if you want to give your ship an other name. But if you like this name theres nothing wrong with it. :wink:

I looked at your legthened version ... I would move your main mast between your current 1st and second cannon then move the 2nd back 

I'm going to disagree with Roadmonkey.  If you're following the sail plan in your August 29th post, you'll want to keep your mainmast where it is.  If you're going to go with fewer sails up front, though, then you'll want to follow Roadmonkey's suggestion and move it forward.

On 9/12/2018 at 1:37 AM, Cousarmy0001 said:

I'm going to disagree with Roadmonkey.  If you're following the sail plan in your August 29th post, you'll want to keep your mainmast where it is.  If you're going to go with fewer sails up front, though, then you'll want to follow Roadmonkey's suggestion and move it forward.

I must have missed the sail plan .... I retract my statement ... If you add those three forward sails it looks to be in the right spot!