rmontesb

LEGO 497 Galaxy Explorer

I´m in the process of reconstructing/replicate the Lego 497 Galaxy Explorer set.

With respect to the colors of the gary bricks, some e-sellers identify them as being "Light Gray" or "Medium Stone Gray".

Which is the correct color for the set? 

Thanks in advanced for your assured response. 

Edited by rmontesb
introduce clarity

The original colors of the #497 include light gray, blue, yellow, black, translucent-yellow, trans-red & trans-green.  If one puts medium stone grey next to light gray, light gray tends to look slightly yellowish in comparison to medium stone grey.  Medium stone grey only began started occurring around 2004, which is when light gray died a slow death.  Nowadays, light gray is no longer manufactured as far as I am aware.  To accurately complete the set, you should look for the original pieces in light gray, not medium stone grey.  And if you are truly looking to recreate the set, you should also ascertain the original mold variations of certain pieces as needed - i.e. #3597 light gray antenna 1x4 (with rounded top) vs. #3597b, which has a flat top & only comes in medium stone grey.

It is a fantastic set, one of my first childhood wonders - you have a worthy (if potentially expensive) task ahead of you to collect the original parts to complete the Galaxy Explorer!  Best of luck in your search for the best parts at the best prices!!

Many thanks for your input weeble1688.

Light Gray it is! 

I´ve already identified several bricks in some e-stores, including the translucent-red and translucent-green ones.

I guess the translucent-yellow, the printed bricks and some other special parts will not be that easy to find.

As you indicate, It is definitively a fantastic set (I used to own one as a child, but it is no longer in my possession).:cry3:

Buying/trading, organizing and putting together all the bricks will bring some good memories.

I believe this is an interesting project to share, so I´ll keep you guys posted on the progress of this particular build.:classic:

Regards,

Yesterday, the mailman left a package at my doorstep. It happens to be one of those Lego bricks lots that are sold by the pound.

I´ve identified 15 (blue, black and light gray) parts that can be used for my Galaxy Explorer project (see picture).

That´s 15 out of 325 bricks...I expect more packages to arrive soon.

I´ll keep you guys posted.

Regards,

Galaxy Explorer lot 01.jpg

That's a great set, a must in your collection if you like the Classic Space theme.

But unless you're fortunate enough to get hold of the parts in used Lego lots in the local ads, I'd recommend you to just buy a complete used set in nice condition on Bricklink. Some of the special, and also not so special parts are quite expensive if you want them in decent condition. You'll save yourself a lot of trouble, and some money, just buying a complete set. Just make sure all parts are present and in good condition. That TV antenna for example is very often missing a spoke or two. Baseplates tend to break or have stress marks. Minifigures, the gold on the logo easily wears off but there's plenty of them still around with good print. Trans-yellow pieces can be worn and scratched as well (to me, that kind of wear tells me that the set was played with a lot. Some kid loved it 'to pieces' :laugh: and that I think has a value in itself. Not so fun for display though :wink:) In short, expect some wear since it's an old set, but make sure the rare/expensive parts are present and in good/decent condition.

Remember to also look for set 928, it was called 497 on the US market but most other places it was 928.

Good luck in your search, I really hope you'll have a complete version some day soon :)

Thanks BeO for your input!

I guess you´re probably right, because special and discontinued bricks/parts are pricy and difficult to find.

However, I enjoy looking for those bricks and parts. I also like the sense of completing the set step by step with every package that arrives in the mail.

BTW: the mailman dropped another pacakge this week, and I have identified 74 additional parts for my project. I´m now around 200 bricks/parts short.

I´ll keep you guys posted.

Regards,

There is sometimes confusion about the name of the colors.

"Light gray" is the Bricklink name for the official "gray" and "medium stone gray" is TLC's official name for what is called "light bluish gray" on BL. :wink:

For a full overview of what is what, click here.

Good luck on your project to rebuild the Galaxy Explorer! I used to have one in my childhood and sold it on the way to get older. :hmpf:
I followed Beo's advice and bought a used copy instead of searching for single bricks. It had the mentioned playmarks though.

Good luck finding those missing pieces, especially the TV antenna (already mentioned), the cones and supports, which are rather expensive and hard to find (most shops only have one or two). I think some of the larger light grey plates are also pretty rare.

I luckily have that set from when I was a kid, but it's not complete - I'm still missing the TV antenna and 3 of those large cones. I've had them on my Bricklink Wanted List for ages now.

Oh yeah, if you don't care about it not being 100% original, there's a mould variation for the big cone (with an axle hole, 3943b). It also exists in dark grey, and is slightly less rare than the original version with the axle hole.

Thanks Holodoc and Roger Smith for your input.

Let´s be optimistic about this particular project.

I´m in no hurry to finish, so while waiting for more bricks/parts to arrive, the little spaceship option above will be kept "on hold" :sweet:

BTW: Here´s the second package of bricks/parts:
ge%20package%202.jpgRegards,

Edited by rmontesb
added photo