SwissBrick

How to integrate Ninjago City & Docks in a Modular town layout?

6 hours ago, AntiZombie said:

I also have a complete illuminated NinjagoCity area in my city.

a Bit off-topic ... I just watched the movies, looks great.

48 minutes ago, SwissBrick said:

Wow @AntiZombie, what an amazing city you have... I also love your Ninjago District.. I have a long way to go until I reach your level of details.. Thanks for the great inspiration! And all this water.. just stunning!

How come I have not seen your city in this forum? Did I just miss it or you did not post???

@everyone, this is one of the most gorgeous layout I have seen..

Many thanks for the feedback and the inspiration!

Thanks for your kind words :) Apart from the lights, your city also offers a lot of details. :)
Probably you missed my topic so far, here it is. Only the newest video I missed posting there.

So if you keep lighting your sets up and you need help, let me know. :)

55 minutes ago, neonic said:

a Bit off-topic ... I just watched the movies, looks great.

Thank you! 

On 9/24/2018 at 8:55 AM, Feng-huang0296 said:

Uh, dude? @SwissBrick You, um . . . put Ninjago City Docks in backwards. The platforms and walkways are supposed to line up . . .

Uuhh, mhhmmm, I think you are definitely right... Thanks @Feng-huang0296, was too occupied having he most lights in the front.. Looks much better now.. Thanks again!

44021274365_74489d925d_c.jpg

44933767061_6b0aac3ea3_c.jpg

43120832470_1ec2df848d_c.jpg

@AntiZombie will definitely reach out to you.. I am struggling to hide the battery box for one set, so if I apply lights to all of them, I will need advise.. Thanks a lot!

And to all community, thanks for your feedback and constructive insights!

Edited by SwissBrick

For integration of the Ninjago part to my layout, I've already linked the City and the Docks to the temple (by heavily modifying the Docks), cf this post in my thread:
https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/156427-my-city-layout-dark-brick-city/&do=findComment&comment=3007557 (scroll a little)

But I still have to make a transition between the City part and the Ninjago part. As that is across a train track turn, it won't be so easy (no idea yet).

For the straight track passing in front of it however it could be easier, I'll probably simply raise the track a little and put it over rocks, extending the water to the edge of these rocks.

I love seeing how people put these big cities together and integrate different styles of buildings. Having lights on them really adds to the overall feel.

I see you have a monorail as part of your city. I recently dug out my old Lego at my fathers house, and it contained some monorail tracks (4 quarter circles, 2 long straights, 2 concave and 2 convex bridge pieces and 2 monoswitches from the old 6990), that I doubt I'll ever use. So if you (or anybody else) needs those for a project, I shall be happy to give them away.

20 hours ago, SwissBrick said:

@AntiZombie will definitely reach out to you.. I am struggling to hide the battery box for one set, so if I apply lights to all of them, I will need advise.. Thanks a lot!

That's a light kit from "light my bricks", isn't it?
I think they produce the battery boxes with too short cables. I would extend the cable (with an expansion board or so.)and then put the battery box under the table.

Hi @AntiZombie, indeed it is, great idea! I also saw at once, but can't find it back, a battery box for several buildings.. Anyhow, will try the longer cable!

@Everyone, do you believe TLG will produce other massive Ninjago sets with the same "modular" approach in a near future or do you think the story has ended?

I think it would be quite nice to "merge" the lines and have such type of areas to include in lego cities.. It might not match the style completely, but as @Feng-huang0296 mentioned before TLG could create a "bridging" building connecting the two atmospheres..

What do you think?

Merci!

2 hours ago, SwissBrick said:

Hi @AntiZombie, indeed it is, great idea! I also saw at once, but can't find it back, a battery box for several buildings.. Anyhow, will try the longer cable!

@Everyone, do you believe TLG will produce other massive Ninjago sets with the same "modular" approach in a near future or do you think the story has ended?

I think it would be quite nice to "merge" the lines and have such type of areas to include in lego cities.. It might not match the style completely, but as @Feng-huang0296 mentioned before TLG could create a "bridging" building connecting the two atmospheres..

What do you think?

Merci!

Well, MOCs are always an option. Personally, my plan, since I'm low on parts, is to modify a modular with a raised stair section that'll connect to a lower walkway on the Ninjago side.

Then, when I get the Docks, I'm going to split the tea shop and mapmaker's part away from the rest of it and turn the Docks into two separate modules that act as 'endpoints', one 16x32 and one 32x32. (Also gonna replace the central house with something else so that there isn't a door that leads nowhere. Probably a trapdoor leading to the room below.) That way I don't need to worry about making a joining point with accomodations made to connect the upper walkway, because so long as I put the 16x32 tea shop section next to my modified Modular with stairs, and then put the rest of the Docks, the 32x32 with the arcade and the dojo and the market, on the other side, it'll all fit together quite nicely, since the arcade's stair section will now lead to the tea shop and there won't be any awkward floating platforms that don't go anywhere. 

I got the idea after seeing what @antp had done with his Docks to attach them to the main Ninjago City. So thanks!

And then, if they DO make more Ninjago City sets in the future, I can simply put them between the two halves of the Docks. 

Hello everyone!

With this post, I want to thank @Runeman

He was so kind to snd me monorail pieces and allowed me to pursue my city update.. Please find below a video done to thank him and show you the entire city! :wink:

And here a little more focus on the Ninjago Area..:

Any feedback is welcome!

Thanks for watching.

Edited by SwissBrick
Changed the video

Thanks for sharing. I love seeing your city. I would like to see how a small wake behind the boats would look. Also if you have some small brownish tiles to use as gravel between or around the railway tracks, that might improve the visual a bit.

If you're looking for something different, I am almost done with my B-model for the Ninjago City Docks - it's going to be a modular style hotel and water park, which makes it easier to integrate into a town layout.

PYwyRbo.jpg

Edited by Huaojozu

Wow @Huaojozu, looks very promising!

Did you only use the parts included in the set? Looking forward to the finished build and integration in your city!

Many thanks for inspiring and please keep us posted!

Yep! All the parts are taken straight from the Docks set, nothing added. When I saw the piece count, I thought there would be more than enough parts but then I saw the amount of water tiles, flower tiles and other 1x1 decoration pieces and it was quite a challenge to build everything I wanted. I think it's going to be finished in about a week because I still have the interior to do and every time I change something, it usually ripples through the other sections as different parts become available. Sometimes it's simple (like fixing the skewed windows in the picture above), sometimes it take a couple hours to redo everything.

In terms of integrating it into a city, it's designed as a sort of corner modular that's supposed to sit next to another corner modular (I'm thinking Palace Cinema currently). That way the water park is fully covered by the wall of the adjacent corner modular and the sidewalks perfectly align. I am not a big fan of exposed studs, but in this case there simply isn't enough tiles to cover up everything, so compromises have to be made - at least it makes it easier to position the minifigs.

Edited by Huaojozu

Our LUG has some water tables which are lower than the regular tables. What we've found is that it integrates well if it sits on the water tables which makes the second floor walkway almost even with the city street. We also have a big highway bridge going over the water and the Docks look cool under the bridge.

I also have ninjago city integrated in a city, I currently design a part that goes between the detectives office and ninjago city.

20181111_165529384_iOS.jpeg