SwissBrick

How to integrate Ninjago City & Docks in a Modular town layout?

Dear Community,

as I am rebuilding my city, and really like the Ninjago city & docks sets, I would like to integrate them.. Do you have any examples to share on how you combined these two universes?

Here is my current work in progress layout with three distinguished areas: City, Amusement Park, Suburb. I will then add a sea side probably to include the Old Fishing Store, but for the moment my issue is how to best integrate the Ninjago sets..

30357915518_279624311f_c.jpg

Here is where I thought Ninjago sets could fit..

29289931257_1d8f005032_c.jpg

Actually, I have a couple of ideas.. One could be to have a river going into the city (insert a 16 wide river "lane" going through) and then add bridges (almost every city is built around water in real life), or having a lake in the middle.. but in any case for the moment they are in 2 different areas in my mind..

I would really appreciate to see how YOU integrated these elements with other modular buildings..

Or if you haven't, do you have any ideas?

Merci in advance for your tips and advice!

Edited by SwissBrick
removed the flickr info next to pics & changed title

I gave this some thought for a while (though eventually decided I would have to remove too much from Ninjago City to stop it overtowering any other official or MOC modular).

One issue with Ninjago City is how far “forward” the building projects beyond the modular standard, if attached at the provided technic pin points.

However, adding an 8 stud margin on the two front-facing sides of Ninjago City allows the building to tuck away better, and then to build up what would be the opposite bank of a canal on the other side.

1 hour ago, DeanLearner said:

I gave this some thought for a while (though eventually decided I would have to remove too much from Ninjago City to stop it overtowering any other official or MOC modular).

One issue with Ninjago City is how far “forward” the building projects beyond the modular standard, if attached at the provided technic pin points.

However, adding an 8 stud margin on the two front-facing sides of Ninjago City allows the building to tuck away better, and then to build up what would be the opposite bank of a canal on the other side.

Thanks DeanLearner!

I had the same issue with overtowering the newest modulars.. I stopped with Detective Office.

Also thanks for the tip about the margin, will definitely try and build a canal behind, perhaps between the building back and the train track, it would make a nice scenery (but now I have to rethink the city to have the buildings parallel to the train track and not perpendicular... But this would also allow a modular train station.. with the tracks behind (of course not where the canal would start and from there having a train bridge to go across the canal).

Now, the tough question, next to which building would it fit in your opinion? Not TH, I want to give it a special place.. Nor CC GE FB...

A few more pics in case the community comes up with a great idea! If so, I will try to arrange accordingly and will warmly thank the person with the coolest idea!

Many thanks in advance for your expert advices!

30377645058_67a79b9324_c.jpg

42437111730_1902f70c5a_c.jpg

43338965105_f6c5076cb3_c.jpg

43338968875_664261e20b_c.jpg

29309179977_7e654c4144_c.jpg

43527481734_79d6fb8fed_c.jpg

29309104057_8990e11677_c.jpg

30377935998_0a4180af95_c.jpg

44196197312_bc0823565f_c.jpg

Edited by SwissBrick
removed the flickr info next to pics

Nice city, cool detail that windowwasher :classic:

How to intergrate the Ninjago docks ? Maybe you can make it like some kind of a 'amusement' park / museum? Some nice park around it, maybe an gate / entrance ... (I mean something like we have in the Netherlands, called Southern sea museum, Archeon ... something like that.) 

Whatever you decide, I'm curious what it gonna look like. 

ps. what does that remote do?

Edited by neonic

Nice pictures of your very charming city!

If I had to put the Ninjago City sets into my town, I'd separate them from the rest with water, like a canal or even a small sea if I had a lot of space. The Ninjago City sets would form an isle surrounded by water at one end of my display that could be seen from the (busy) beach of my town and could be reached with a ferry. On the other and more calm end of the beach I would put the Old Fishing Store.

I'm very curious to see your city evolving!

11 hours ago, Wesley D said:

Nice pictures of your very charming city!

If I had to put the Ninjago City sets into my town, I'd separate them from the rest with water, like a canal or even a small sea if I had a lot of space. The Ninjago City sets would form an isle surrounded by water at one end of my display that could be seen from the (busy) beach of my town and could be reached with a ferry. On the other and more calm end of the beach I would put the Old Fishing Store.

I'm very curious to see your city evolving!

You take my words! I'm now finally building up my city, and I will place the Ninjago City sets as a standalone in the sea, facing one of the 2 beaches I'm creating right now. Maybe I will add a proper monorail station in Ninjago City.

@SwissBrick regardless of how you decide to integrate the ninjago buildings, just wanted to say that your city layout in the pictures looks amazing. Wish I had space for a big layout like that. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

ps. what does that remote do?

Hello @neonic There are several remotes and power functions in this layout. In this particular case it controls the main train (orange one). Thanks for your idea, I'll keep in mind!

@Wesley D& @BrickyBoy

Like your idea a lot! Thanks a lot!!

Is that what you had in mind?

43359576255_f9bf0578c0_c.jpg

29329386557_13a048be89_c.jpg

44265350821_c5528d08b2_c.jpg

30398535548_5cf39419fb_c.jpg

Now, I have to add a new table to make it really look nice and some baseplates.. then add details.. (and shelves so my wife is happy! - to store what cannot be on the layout.

Also I have the following to make the lake/sea look a bit nicer:

30398528258_b628b2d1b9_c.jpg

Thank you soooo much again, it really helped me!

If you have other tips, it is more than welcome.. Especially I am not hap with lower left side/"beach suburb"..

Merci!

@Bricked1980Thank you for your nice words! If you have any ideas to improve, don't hesitate to shoot :-)

Edited by SwissBrick

I would have suggested building a custom Modular that fits the 'standard' Modulars on one side and the Ninjago City parts, with the elevated walkway, on the other. (I haven't got the budget for it RN, but I'm planning something similar based on the massive toy robot we see as part of the Ninjago City skyline in the movie that never (yet) became a set.) 

But having it as a Venice-like separated area is a good idea too. It's something I might keep in mind if I somehow manage to get the original set and the Docks both . . . not that that's likely, my budget will be stretched enough just getting the Docks . . 

Still, I like your solution. Best of luck!

If you have other tips, it is more than welcome.. Especially I am not hap with lower left side/"beach suburb"..

Maybe an idea to raise the little 'harbor house' and some other parts a few layers to make the 'edge' less straight, to give it a more natural edge. 

Those translucent tiles will make a great effect! I want to do the same and was thinking of rebuilding my Old Fishing Store on a extra layer of brick yellow tiles, so it could make a nice display of waves rolling on the beach. Having the beach a bit higher can indeed help you make the shoreline less straight / more organic.

Downside of all the tiling is it will require a lot of parts! Will you place them on the same level of the Ninjago sets (the translucent tiles upon plates upon the baseplates)? I intend to place them directly on the baseplates to reduce costs, but I don't have the Ninjago sets and the extra layer of plates could provide a better impression of depth differences in the water.

I think if you would add some paths and extra greenery and fences between the houses, the suburb would look fantastic!

11 hours ago, neonic said:

Maybe an idea to raise the little 'harbor house' and some other parts a few layers to make the 'edge' less straight, to give it a more natural edge. 

Sorry, photo heavy...

Good idea @neonic

Tried my best with the resources I had.. Thanks for the tip!!

44284732871_53aa22d346_c.jpg

43567218654_5b17e2ab61_c.jpg

9 hours ago, Wesley D said:

Those translucent tiles will make a great effect! I want to do the same and was thinking of rebuilding my Old Fishing Store on a extra layer of brick yellow tiles, so it could make a nice display of waves rolling on the beach. Having the beach a bit higher can indeed help you make the shoreline less straight / more organic.

Downside of all the tiling is it will require a lot of parts! Will you place them on the same level of the Ninjago sets (the translucent tiles upon plates upon the baseplates)? I intend to place them directly on the baseplates to reduce costs, but I don't have the Ninjago sets and the extra layer of plates could provide a better impression of depth differences in the water.

I think if you would add some paths and extra greenery and fences between the houses, the suburb would look fantastic!

Thanks again @Wesley D for all tips, tiles, beach and greenery!

Will continue to try to improve..

44284820421_7c9485d4d7_c.jpg

30417514448_bd8c07586d_c.jpg

43567243624_e9535ec463_c.jpg

43567238194_1f31cb7dfd_c.jpg

44236174452_57760e73c4_c.jpg

29348576037_cbba6b3588_c.jpg

43567218654_5b17e2ab61_c.jpg

29348556567_e4ce0b5ace_c.jpg

29348544747_8ca073de36_c.jpg

44284681021_f85ddd6bf3_c.jpg

44235766262_c3fb0f2d86_c.jpg

43566894744_c372a2d92a_c.jpg

Thanks again to all, will now try to get details everywhere, but in any case your help is highly appreciated, merci beaucoup!

In case you have more ideas, feel free, you guys are experts and the more brains, the more good ideas!

Wish you a nice week

Edited by SwissBrick
removed the flickr info next to pics and removed links that weirdly appeared on text

Actually, I believe the small creator houses do not really fit with the rest, in the right down green part.. I think I will only keep the log cabins,  and add greenery, would look more clean in my opinion. What do you think?

Perhaps you could move over some of the smaller creator houses to the other side of your town, next to the fairground sets?

I like the waves you made!

Good idea @Wesley D! Actually, I am keeping a free row (32 wide) in the fairground zone for the upcoming Modulars.. so I can replace the green baseplates with the new Modulars and add roads.. So for the moment, I'll just remove the ones next to the beach.. Might try to place a train or two instead with the train engine set

Thanks again!

Edited by SwissBrick

3 hours ago, SwissBrick said:

Actually, I believe the small creator houses do not really fit with the rest, in the right down green part.. I think I will only keep the log cabins,  and add greenery, would look more clean in my opinion. What do you think?

While I’ve since moved them, I had the Creator houses in a previous layout. I had it ‘sectioned’ off-Modulars were downtown, then had the houses for residential- even though they were close much like yours. I had the thought of it simply being a squashed together town because I didn’t have the proper space to evenly separate. I think they look pretty good where they are. You could also maybe separate the two areas by train tracks.

Like the last photo in your most recent post, without knowing how much room you have back there, you could rearrange it so the tracks curve on the opposite side of the houses that they are now. 

On 8/26/2018 at 11:15 PM, Wesley D said:

Perhaps you could move over some of the smaller creator houses to the other side of your town, next to the fairground sets?

I like the waves you made!

Oh yes, good idea! Will try it over the weekend! Thanks!

29538993087_6f7e3713ef_c.jpg

Also I tried with a backdrop and I am not convinced.. probably because of the color.. A lighter blue would work better I guess, what do you think?

Edited by SwissBrick

I would have suggested building a custom Modular that fits the 'standard' Modulars on one side and the Ninjago City parts, with the elevated walkway, on the other. (I haven't got the budget for it RN, but I'm planning something similar based on the massive toy robot we see as part of the Ninjago City skyline in the movie that never (yet) became a set.) 

But having it as a Venice-like separated area is a good idea too. It's something I might keep in mind if I somehow manage to get the original set and the Docks both . . . not that that's likely, my budget will be stretched enough just getting the Docks . . 

That said, forgive me if this is something you've done intentionally, but you've attached the main Ninjago City and the Docks backwards. It's supposed to be that the stairs on the right side of the Docks lead into the big walkway in the main city. I suggest either rotating the City 90 degrees or the Docks 180 . . or maybe switch the positions of the Docks and the Temple of Airjitzu, if you want the big dock to be facing the main ocean area that you have. 

Still, I like your solution. Best of luck!

Edited by Feng-huang0296

Bringing lights to the Ninjago area.. Next step is Ninjago City and the Temple... Let me know your thoughts.. Should I continue, or it doesn't bring much... (quite expensive led sets..) Thanks!

Also planning to have an airport area (new table) connected to the monorail, made out of the following sets: 10159, 6392, 60104 and 60022 at the complete opposite of the city.. also ordered a few old airport baseplates - the lanes are a bit too short and a few monorail tracks to make the circle around. Any advise before I start?

Merci!

44145670904_129392f07c_c.jpg

44145672394_6b9b3a6f5f_c.jpg

29929564687_b09e9ca1be_c.jpg

29929407447_3f2af2a967_c.jpg

29929408307_6f7038eb2b_c.jpg

43054487170_e2966468a3_c.jpg

Edited by SwissBrick

I always liked lights and stuff, and Asian (Lego) stuff so ... it looks great. Only I think the lights are a bit too bright. Mostly in those kind of Asian 'area' there is a bit of a mysterious ambiance (hope it's the right word) 

But anyway, it's looks great. 

On 9/23/2018 at 6:30 PM, SwissBrick said:

Bringing lights to the Ninjago area.. Next step is Ninjago City and the Temple... Let me know your thoughts.. Should I continue, or it doesn't bring much... (quite expensive led sets..) Thanks!

You should keep going, it's worth it! I like it very much.
I also have a complete illuminated NinjagoCity area in my city. If you like, you can have a look on my youube channel.

And by the way: Very nice city!

Wow @AntiZombie, what an amazing city you have... I also love your Ninjago District.. I have a long way to go until I reach your level of details.. Thanks for the great inspiration! And all this water.. just stunning!

How come I have not seen your city in this forum? Did I just miss it or you did not post???

@everyone, this is one of the most gorgeous layout I have seen..

Many thanks for the feedback and the inspiration!