barneius

[MOC / MOD] Imperial TIE Fighter

It is my second try at creating a model the way Lego does but at the same time being as sleek and faithful to original as possible. It is not a 100% MOC, because it incorporates some basic structure techniques of 75101 mixed with 75211. 759 pieces plus 56 for a display stand.

44193007462_837b5dae2a_c.jpgImperial TIE Fighter Lego MOC / MOD by Barney Markowski, on Flickr

29821662438_981c0a4272_c.jpgImperial TIE Fighter Lego MOC / MOD by Barney Markowski, on Flickr

43645051082_60a66f0ba8_c.jpgImperial TIE Fighter Lego MOC / MOD by Barney Markowski, on Flickr

42975555144_73866a8f5d_c.jpgImperial TIE Fighter Lego MOC / MOD by Barney Markowski, on Flickr

43645050192_e1be67ac65_c.jpgImperial TIE Fighter Lego MOC / MOD by Barney Markowski, on Flickr

42975554794_eba99d563e_c.jpgImperial TIE Fighter Lego MOC / MOD by Barney Markowski, on Flickr

43645048802_0ae36c6d7d_c.jpgImperial TIE Fighter Lego MOC / MOD by Barney Markowski, on Flickr

42975554114_6646f3c72b_c.jpgImperial TIE Fighter Lego MOC / MOD by Barney Markowski, on Flickr

43645047992_9af33f09fb_c.jpgImperial TIE Fighter Lego MOC / MOD by Barney Markowski, on Flickr

42975553514_5f0e6f2100_c.jpgImperial TIE Fighter Lego MOC / MOD by Barney Markowski, on Flickr

43645045032_4fd09d464f_c.jpgImperial TIE Fighter Lego MOC / MOD by Barney Markowski, on Flickr

43645043962_5f67300f69_c.jpgImperial TIE Fighter Lego MOC / MOD by Barney Markowski, on Flickr42975553204_fc1d3e6a21_c.jpgImperial TIE Fighter Lego MOC / MOD by Barney Markowski, on Flickr

Edited by barneius

That looks incredible! Is there a rough estimate on how many extra pieces you used? I would love to do something similar to 75211 when I get it!

Edited by Enforcer Zer0

7 minutes ago, Enforcer Zer0 said:

That looks incredible! Is there a rough estimate on how many extra pieces you used?

Thx. There is absolutely no point in buying 75211 to build this, unless of course you already have one (I've checked all parts before deciding). If I remember correctly, you would not use even half of the pieces (I am not certain though).

Edited by barneius

13 minutes ago, barneius said:

Thx. There is absolutely no point in buying 75211 to build this, unless of course you already have one (I've checked all parts before deciding). If I remember correctly, you would not use even half of the pieces (I am not certain though).

I have not bought one yet and probably won't unless the price is right for me, bummer that your mod only uses about half the pieces but I might keep the original core of the set and do some of your mods to the wings.

Looks really nice! It almost giver me similar vibe as Jerac mocs, while it seems quite a bit more conventional and hence user and swoosh friendly. Good job!

I already have a 75211 but would definitely give that up for this. Is there an lxf file for this? 

29 minutes ago, krisandkris12 said:

as Jerac mocs

Now that is a compliment. Credits for Jerac.

31 minutes ago, krisandkris12 said:

quite a bit more conventional and hence user and swoosh friendly

That is exactly what I meant writing "the way Lego does". It is indeed as stable as last Lego sets.

Thx for appreciation.

34 minutes ago, JarJarBonks said:

I already have a 75211 but would definitely give that up for this. Is there an lxf file for this? 

Yes. I have designed it in LDD. Still have to tweak it just a little bit, but there is a plan I put it (also divided into main parts) together with BL xml file on bricklink for couple of euros. I want to dig into it soon. I am totally fresh in these matters at the moment.

the way you designed the cockpit area reminds me a lot of the UCS set. I think this looks miles better than any of the official system scale sets

Edited by Makin Bacon

this is the Tie we should have gotten with Solo. I wanted to purchase the latest one and thought "ok I'll just modify this and this..", but after seeing a few reviews of it... I found myself wondering "ok I will have to pretty much redesign the whole thing". Often I think bad sets are made due to limitations given to very capable designers. But with the latest Tie, I thought after one point: "wow, I can't understand any of the design choices at all. Like the blocky sections at the top.

How many studs wide is the TIE? I'm looking at potentially adding two TIE's to an MOC I'm building and the width of each one is fairly critical.

On 9/1/2018 at 12:38 PM, SquirrelArmy said:

How many studs wide is the TIE? I'm looking at potentially adding two TIE's to an MOC I'm building and the width of each one is fairly critical.

It is 22 studs wide on these photographs but I have narrowed it to 20 as in official sets. Proportions are much better when it's 20.

On 8/26/2018 at 3:53 AM, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

But with the latest Tie, I thought after one point: "wow, I can't understand any of the design choices at all.

100% agree. This latest TIE Fighter looks like they just wanted to use strange techniques instead of designing a nice model.

THANKS EVERYBODY for your positive feedback.  As I've written above - I've narrowed it to 20 studs and done some minor tweaks as well. Brick count is 732 at the moment and the LDD file is ready. I will be putting it on Rebrickable in couple of weeks.

8 minutes ago, barneius said:

It is 22 studs wide on these photographs but I have narrowed it to 20 as in official sets. Proportions are much better when it's 20.

A pair of the new versions would fit nicely in my MOC. 

You say you've incorporated methods from 75101 and 75211, which of the two sets would you recommend starting with? There's a lot of TIE specific elements such as the cockpit cover and pilot as well as other printed pieces that I'd need to purchase so it does make sense to start with an existing set and mod it to match your design

10 minutes ago, SquirrelArmy said:

You say you've incorporated methods from 75101 and 75211, which of the two sets would you recommend starting with? There's a lot of TIE specific elements such as the cockpit cover and pilot as well as other printed pieces that I'd need to purchase so it does make sense to start with an existing set and mod it to match your design

It was designed in LDD first. Originally I planed to buy 75211 but after counting pieces I could have used, it appeared there is absolutely no point. Buying original set + needed elements would be much more expensive than just buying parts I needed on BL. If you want original set anyway buy 75211 but for instance the panels build resembles more 75101 (there is critical difference in connection_to_fuselage part of the build).

Edited by barneius

On 8/24/2018 at 11:57 PM, barneius said:

Now that is a compliment. Credits for Jerac.

That is exactly what I meant writing "the way Lego does". It is indeed as stable as last Lego sets.

Thx for appreciation.

Yes. I have designed it in LDD. Still have to tweak it just a little bit, but there is a plan I put it (also divided into main parts) together with BL xml file on bricklink for couple of euros. I want to dig into it soon. I am totally fresh in these matters at the moment.

Hi

First of all congrats for this amazing moc /mod, I'm loving it. 

It was my birthday last Saturday and I 've received the 75211. 

I' ll like to customized it with some of your ideas. 

Will it be possible to post the lxf file? 

Thank you 

22 minutes ago, GariLecelt said:

Hi

First of all congrats for this amazing moc /mod, I'm loving it. 

It was my birthday last Saturday and I 've received the 75211. 

I' ll like to customized it with some of your ideas. 

Will it be possible to post the lxf file? 

Thank you 

Thank you. First of all you may find updated version here: 

Sorry, I do not provide LDD files, yet PDF step-by-step instructions are abailable at rebrickable for 6,99 Euro here:

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-19900/barneius/fighter-imperial-twin-ion-engine/#comments

7 hours ago, barneius said:

Thank you. First of all you may find updated version here: 

Sorry, I do not provide LDD files, yet PDF step-by-step instructions are abailable at rebrickable for 6,99 Euro here:

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-19900/barneius/fighter-imperial-twin-ion-engine/#comments

Yeah, that's already great and cheap for what it represent to me. Thank you