Sign in to follow this  
JasonL

A Bunch of Digital ACL-Themed Things

Hello, all! I've made or redesigned a few things since I've posted here, and thought I'd share. (I'm more active on my Flickr, if for some reason you wanted to be more up-to-date.)
We'll start with the Atlantic Coast Line Q-1 2-10-2. These were built in 1925, and used primarily in slow freight service. They actually had the most tractive effort of any steam locomotive the ACL had! A few were sold to other railroads in the early 50s, and the rest were scrapped. None survive today.
The actual Lego model had a few parts clipping, but that's because precise hinge movement is a bit painful in Stud.io if you don't want to type precise degrees. (Read: laziness) I want to try to get the bell more upwards, rather than straight out, but I'm still figuring it out. Also, the 2x4 bricks in the lower back are just a placeholder until I can figure out what that area actually looks like in the prototype. The current bell belongs to Owen Meschter, who's Flickr is right here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/150003595@N08/
I like the tender, and it's the first Vanderbilt I've attempted. 
43278181475_a4f3b130a0_b.jpgACL 2-10-2 Mostly Done by Jason Laplante, on Flickr

44135645282_52cba8f9f6_b.jpgACL 2-10-2 Mostly Done by Jason Laplante, on Flickr
29247352897_2da72a8855_b.jpgacl 2-10-2 #5 by Jason Laplante, on Flickr
After that we have a USRA 0-6-0, which the ACL acquired several of. It's a redesign of a previous shunter I've made.
42209464660_6c77297179_b.jpgUSRA 0-6-0 by Jason Laplante, on Flickr
Next up is BMR's boxcar, except with 2 changes! The Atlantic Coast Line had many more ventilated boxcars versus normal boxcars, (Gotta ship those oranges somehow!) so I wanted to model one. Something that I'm unsure of the prototype is if the vents were built into the wall, or was another door with vents on it.
44225191981_79ec8abe74_b.jpgLego Ventilated Boxcar by Jason Laplante, on Flickr
I saved the best for last. Previously, I had made an ACL m3 caboose, in 9-wide. I decided since then to step down to 8-wide, and redesigned it. Highlights include the "planks" that make up the walls, and the interior. Hopefully none of the crew needs to use the restroom, or else they're out of luck. 
29268688777_08e41230af_b.jpgACL M3 Caboose (8 wide) by Jason Laplante, on Flickr
30337784478_81bc3e7c67_b.jpgACL M3 Caboose (8 wide) Interior by Jason Laplante, on Flickr
AS ALWAYS, comments, and questions are welcome!

Edited by JasonL
pictures every time

I like your steamers and your alteration of the BMR boxcar - well done!  I am wondering about the yellow clips on your caboose though - I am assuming that the typical curved |_ & _| handrails are supposed to attach to them, but the clip positions seem reversed to my eyes.  I do love the well-appointed interior of it, though I hope your conductors get to use the restrooms at various station stops en route! :wink:

It is all looking really good. I like the gray boilers. For the Vanderbilt tender you might want to consider the new triangular tiles to get rid of the studs on the side:

That caboose looks like something Cale would make, very nice. As for a restroom on a caboose, next time you are around a real steam engine look for one there too (grin) nature finds a way.

Any plans to build these in real bricks?

10 hours ago, weeble1688 said:

I like your steamers and your alteration of the BMR boxcar - well done!  I am wondering about the yellow clips on your caboose though - I am assuming that the typical curved |_ & _| handrails are supposed to attach to them, but the clip positions seem reversed to my eyes.  I do love the well-appointed interior of it, though I hope your conductors get to use the restrooms at various station stops en route! :wink:

Thank you! Yup, those clips are completely backwards. Good eye!

6 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

It is all looking really good. I like the gray boilers. For the Vanderbilt tender you might want to consider the new triangular tiles to get rid of the studs on the side:

That caboose looks like something Cale would make, very nice. As for a restroom on a caboose, next time you are around a real steam engine look for one there too (grin) nature finds a way.

Any plans to build these in real bricks?

Thanks! I'll certainly try those tiles, and I am honored to be compared to the likes of Mr. Leiphart.
All of these will be built eventually, once funds allow. :)

6 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Great engine ...but ...the part I love the most is the caboose and its beautiful detais! :wub:

Very well done!

Thanks a bunch! The caboose is my favorite, too.