Aventador2004

Decreasing number of MOCs: affected by criticism?

I still build, but rather than daily, it's maybe been weekly. And it's not because I don't have the time. One of my biggest turn-offs right now with Technic building is the poor quality of parts. I am mainly talking about the plastic around the thin axle holes of connectors. These parts are way outdated and need revamped with thicker plastic. Universal joints should have ends like a #1 connector or even a CV joint opening. There is no reason why I should have a bowl of 100's and 100's of broken parts that have either never been or barely been used.

640x525.jpg

I was rebuilding a rear suspension just the other day for a new moc, and I needed two 3L universal joints, so I went into a bin of old suspension concepts and decided to tear into one and harvest the joints. Every single universal joint was cracked on both ends in all 3 of the various modules. This is inexcusable.

I'm so frustrated over this universal joint issue that I don't even feel like ordering anymore of them because I know they are eventually going to break as well. And I am not talking about breaking form being over used, I am talking about them breaking from just having the stress of an axle being pushed through them.

LEGO building shouldn't be about having to replace your parts every week.

I can't tell you how many common perpendicular connectors that I have that are cracked and they are brand new and never used. You can tell they've already failed as soon as you push an axle into them. I am actually finding myself trying not to use these weak connectors in models just because they are notorious for cracking.

And this problem isn't something new, this has been bothering me for many years.

It's time for an upgrade.

@Paul Boratko I have the same issue with parts, so when making my MOCs I'm trying to make them without those parts as much as possible (despite that I ordered 100 universal joints about year ago)...

Re cracked uni couplings. I use small ‘o’ rings to reinforce them, has worked for me on many projects, will even allow cracked ones to be used again

1 hour ago, Paul Boratko said:

I still build, but rather than daily, it's maybe been weekly. And it's not because I don't have the time. One of my biggest turn-offs right now with Technic building is the poor quality of parts. I am mainly talking about the plastic around the thin axle holes of connectors. These parts are way outdated and need revamped with thicker plastic. Universal joints should have ends like a #1 connector or even a CV joint opening. There is no reason why I should have a bowl of 100's and 100's of broken parts that have either never been or barely been used.

640x525.jpg

I was rebuilding a rear suspension just the other day for a new moc, and I needed two 3L universal joints, so I went into a bin of old suspension concepts and decided to tear into one and harvest the joints. Every single universal joint was cracked on both ends in all 3 of the various modules. This is inexcusable.

I'm so frustrated over this universal joint issue that I don't even feel like ordering anymore of them because I know they are eventually going to break as well. And I am not talking about breaking form being over used, I am talking about them breaking from just having the stress of an axle being pushed through them.

I can't tell you how many common perpendicular connectors that I have that are cracked and they are brand new and never used. You can tell they've already failed as soon as you push an axle into them. I am actually finding myself trying not to use these weak connectors in models just because they are notorious for cracking.

And this problem isn't something new, this has been bothering me for many years.

This. Very much this. 

There is a reason why i always completely disassemble everything and keep them in storage.. Every single part that's left connected for too long gets issues.. Pins get looser.. But the parts you've shown have always that issue. 
The axle connector is too thin and it cracks.. Why does it need that gear teeth gap when there are rarely if not ever mocs or sets that need it. Why can't we have alternatives that are the same part but with a thicker end? 
Think about those axle to pin connectors, they have a thick axle connection to them that gets no issues. But when you compare it to an axle to axle connector, it has that thin end to it that has clearance for an 8 tooth gears teeth.. Always snaps and breaks. 
U joints are the same deal. Their ends snap when you push an axle in because it has that 8 tooth gear teeth clearance.. Lego should remove it or a chinese copy cat to start making a part without that gear teeth clearance. 

Every time i build mocs, i always go for pin connections  and never build mocs that need axle connections for a structural chassis. 
Half beams that have axle hole ends always snap in half in the end when you push an axle trough it. 

So if i'm building a moc, i always build everything so it's connected by a pin and mainly use axles for gear boxes and power transfer. But never for structural strength. 

Edited by Mechbuilds

4 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

The 100 something parts 42116 Skid Steer loader which was designed and optimized to be as cheap and with minimum amount of parts has more replies and activity than the 3500+ parts MOC of the Mclaren Senna.

You gotta remember though, we’re talking about a new set here. There’s a lot of hype unraveling that’s been built up over the past couple months and we wanna dissect everything we can about them. It’s not that we’re not interested, it’s that we’re distracted.

On 11/15/2020 at 7:15 AM, syclone said:

EB technic certainly seems to be dying in my eyes, looking at posts 10 years ago or so there was some crazy stuff uploaded, and the forum seemed way more alive with people actively commenting on builds. Nowadays MOCs posted here feel crazy professional as if it were a company presenting a product at some tech expo rather than a fan-made MOC. Lack of parts certainly isn't the case, there were many ingenious solutions before and we have a LOT of new parts recently, frames, pins, even pneumatic switches and substitution of the beloved PF. 
Also, in regards of sets - they don´t feel all that inspirative or teaching anything, feels more like a toy or a scale model in case of high-end ones than anything else, older sets while may be "ugly" and just shells for some, but they were (judging by instructions and some limited experience) way more challenging to build and that was FUN!!! Bigger does not equal better, but it does mean more expensive and out of reach. Was exited for Lamborghini, but colour consistency problems, almost copy-paste mechanisms, and price tag aren't my thing.
Can't say anything certain though, as have lost interest in technic for the most part mostly due to TLG sets not cutting it for me and needing more time for uni.

I don't think EB is really dying... when I look at the online user list there's always more than 1000 users online at the same time, compared to BZpower's 100... :tongue:

18 hours ago, Paul Boratko said:

<snip>

I wonder why I have never had any issues with these parts. I mean, I have broken maybe like two of these, and none from the newer Lego I've acquired since the end of my years of darkness. Even the old ones (from anywhere from 25 to 35 years ago) are still fine and perfectly usable, except those maybe two parts.

I'm not saying though that changing the design wouldn't be a good idea here, but there's an advantage in the current design over the design in numbered connectors: you can use these right next to a 8 or 24T gears so that there's still enough clearance for them to rotate freely. Numbered connector style design doesn't fit, and neither does simple liftarm design.

There's lots of MOCs but they quickly drop off page 1 and out of imediate sight.
This is due to the ever increasing number of Super Cars topics each with there own thread.
Its time these were grouped under one heading (Super Cars, MODs & MOCs )the same way as the GBC General & GBC Train threads.

Edited by Doug72

20 hours ago, Paul Boratko said:

640x525.jpg

yup.  +1. going back through older models i notice nearly the same.  2 to 3 of every four are cracked.  

I wish I could throw away all my little knowledge to feel illusion again or at least that it was enough fun to me to use all my optimiced mechanisms in other MOCs changing the brand or the model machine, this is my problem.

On 11/17/2020 at 7:34 PM, msk6003 said:

One of the most agreeable arguments is about people whose native language is not English. In fact, I'm writing this comment using a translator and I'm posting it over a little bit of postprocessing.

And I also sympathize with the topic without replies. Last year, I posted about a powerfunction racing event held in Korea, and the reply was zero.  I think it could be because the participating vehicles are not very good at this forum, where most of the "professional builders" are participating.

My other posts with some replies are similar. For example, my TC18 Delorean, which was in the top 42% of the vote, and the Driftable AE86, the largest and most detailed car I've ever built, were less than a page full of replies.

I've also posted these two models on Facebook and my local community, both of which have received more than 20 comments, at least 20 recommendations(Delorean, local), 100 likes(86, facebook), and 86 on the local community, with the honor of being on the community's main screen. Like this forum.

I have something to say about the WIP topic.
I usually don't have time to take pictures because I'm focusing on assembly and planning when I'm making MOCs. And I try to finish them as quickly as possible except for the initial idea, so I don't have much time to take pictures.
For example, the TC18 Delorean completed the chassis in one day, the external operation took three days, and the internal operation ended in just a few hours.

Finally, I want to talk about the structural problems of this community. Originally I wasn't going to tell this, but I don't think I'll have a chance unless now.
I don't know what other people would think, but I've been very familiar to uploading photos directly to posts. Facebook and all the local communities I've joined are the same.
But it's different only here. To upload a picture to a post, you have to upload photo on an external image site first, and then put a link to it, so you have to open two sites while you're writing.
While I'm not good at taking pictures, but I don't feel the need to log in twice and write up to here, so I just post on Facebook and the local community right away.

That's all my opinion. Please don't get me wrong. I like Eurobrick and this is the first foreign Lego community I've ever joined.

LIKE THIS I WROTE.

Even I use translator for this comment but it take almost a hours to write this. BUT NO ONE mentioned my comment.

If no one interested my comment/topic, why should I write more here? In fact, I'm posting a lot of MOC articles on other external communities(like facebook and my local community), but I don't post them here except for some discussion.

Why? Because like this comment. no one don't interested my comment or topic except very low people.

4 hours ago, msk6003 said:

LIKE THIS I WROTE.

Even I use translator for this comment but it take almost a hours to write this. BUT NO ONE mentioned my comment.

If no one interested my comment/topic, why should I write more here? In fact, I'm posting a lot of MOC articles on other external communities(like facebook and my local community), but I don't post them here except for some discussion.

Why? Because like this comment. no one don't interested my comment or topic except very low people.

Sometimes the comment is in itself fine, but there's not much to say about it so everyone stays silent. I have also had comments that I thought would spark more commentary and replies but receive none, that probably happens to everyone, and that's just the way it is.

You commented on the difficulty of posting images, which is a topic that has been discussed extensively already, but I've yet to see a good solution suggested so there's not much more to say about it. Everyone knows the problem, nobody knows the solution.

Wow, I've been reading through all the pages of this topic with increasing amazement... This discussion flies everywhere and back again...

For me the reason of not posting MOCs or WIPs is plain and simple: I just don't have any at the moment. I have projects in my head, and builds laying around (some 99% finished) but life is taking too much toll on me at the moment to have any energy left to build or post about it. So I stick to rebuilding some old sets and MOCs, nothing much worth posting.

To be honest, I do not really care about how many comments I get or don't get. I build and post for myself, and the fact that I post something that I think is worth sharing is enough for me. Sure, it's fun to get some response, but I can't really do much with 'likes' only. I'd rather get 1 constructive critique so I can improve. That's why I don't post anywhere outside EB. Guess I'm oldskool...

Anyways, all above is just my personal opinion, and not meant to harass or attack anyone else...

Using facebook can lead you open to spam attacks or disparaging comments.

The Eurobricks forum has only had a very few issues in the past with spam and has stopped since new registration info requirements were made.

Regarding Postings, why use use two sites at the same time ? 

Better to upload images & videos to hosting sites, copy links to a file, write required text, use spell check, then copy the text with links and paste onto EB forum.

As the Merecat says "Simple"

I only have dumb mobile phone anyway but find viewing hard due to small screen size and small text hard to read.

Mac Mini with large screen monitor much better for me and easy to zoom in when required.

I always review older MOCs and improve them when possible especially if new parts become available.

Edited by Doug72

I always relay on EB for quality discussions and information! It's the best place I've found to discuss solutions, and to get positive criticism. 

I do however like most here feel that the activity is reduced. From what I can see Rebrickable has stolen some of the thunder, and it seems to be a trend that people want to be paid for their mocs rather than just sharing a nice creation.

This as well as Chinese companies stealing mocs is what I think is the main reason there is fewer mocs posted.

The competitions however confirm that there is a lot of active builders still here.

_ED_

Something funny just hit me... this thread receives 8 pages of replies in just 10 days... Guess we like discussing more than building:laugh:

49 minutes ago, Rudivdk said:

Something funny just hit me... this thread receives 8 pages of replies in just 10 days... Guess we like discussing more than building:laugh:

oh noes not that cliché again

2 minutes ago, Lipko said:

oh noes not that cliché again

Sorry, from now on I'll stick to building again...:innocent:

1 hour ago, Rudivdk said:

Building is slow and demanding, especially Technic. Discussing is much easier, especially when it appears that someone might be wrong in the Internet :D

In case of numbers:
People without a hobby (I was truly amazed how many people actually do not have a hobby - for various reasons) > with a hobby >> Lego as a hobby > Lego Technic as a hobby >> building a lego technic MOCs

So creating a Lego Technic MOCs is quite rare :)

1 hour ago, keymaker said:

I was truly amazed how many people actually do not have a hobby

Drinking is a hobby so your sampling is wrong

1 hour ago, Lipko said:

Drinking is a hobby if you are interested in what you are drinking. You read about it, expand your knowledge about the procedure, origin, taste and so on. Then yes, you can call it a hobby (not very healthy one but still). Without it, you are just drinking. The same goes with travelling, watching movies/TV shows, watching sport in tv. People often put for example traveling as a hobby. But when you ask something about the places they visited, their culture, history, anything, there is a silence as a response. They simple were on the spot, spend some time in the hotel, maybe took photo or two of some famous place and that is it.

Don't want to offtop, so you can just try to ask some larger group of people about their hobby, you will see what is the most frequent answer. Or check CVs and "Interest" section.

You could also be ironic with your response, then everything I just said is unnecessary.

Edited by keymaker

On 11/21/2020 at 5:15 PM, Paul Boratko said:

640x525.jpg

I totally relate to this.  I threw loads of cracked parts out a few months ago, and I try not to use the part's you have listed unless I really have to.  ?

15 hours ago, Lipko said:

Not my hobby (non drinker) hence I have money for lego and racecars.... just no time for mocs