Henjin_Quilones

Avalonian Traffic Jam

Avalonian Traffic Jam

A freebuild for Avalonia

Poor Joffir the shepherd always longed to stay awhile and chat with Bellia, Farmer Chereo's daughter, but whenever he did so, a long pile-up of sheep and farmers ensued along the narrow country road. That, and Strellia, Bellia's mother, was always watching carefully, ensuring that nothing funny happened between her beautiful daughter and the homely and smelly shepherd.

28832745427_6e526f383f_c.jpg

It's a hard life being a stinky shepherd.

43720343402_a9e8b90416_c.jpg

But at least he has his sheep.

28832540047_1cc8f3f395_c.jpg

More pictures:

Spoiler

29898097988_76cf15de43_c.jpg

28832544537_f5138d3563_c.jpg

29898103368_184e8018cd_c.jpg

28832542177_39fa30e099_c.jpg

....................................................................................................

A build for the Group Collaboration category of the 2018 Summer Joust, together with @TitusV, @ZlatanXVIGustaf, and @The Maestro. Our industry was parchment (or vellum, in a non-technical way), and I got the living sheep part of the gig. They'll probably post their parts soon enough, I would think. C&C welcome, as usual. The pictures probably would have looked better against a grey background rather than white, but as a group we were all using the white background, so the sheep horns got lost. 

Oh, and I totally stole the sheep design from @TheLordOfBricks, inspired by this build. 

Edited by Henjin_Quilones

I actually really like the overhang here - it lends realism to the landscape. 

Really nice one Henjin! I really like those cutouts, especially the water one. :) As I've said on Flickr, great colors here and an awesome sense of business without it being too much. :) That fence has to be my favorite detail though. Also, thanks for the shout out!

This is incredible, and there is a lot to like (and copy).  Now, I'm stalking following you on flickr.

My only critique is that you should use an air duster prior to photographing your beautiful MOCs.  Unless the dust is a feature of the Avalonian scenery, of course, and not a bug. :wink: 

Great build and wonderful explanation of the scene. Are you able to post a pic that shows the valley joint in the roof? I’m curious how you got the roof sections to meet up. 

This is a very adorable build. That building is kind of unique, looking like something out of an old JRPG or Harvest Moon game. Lots of really cool details, especially that cart. That's probably my favorite thing.

Wow, I think this is one of your best builds ever... so many detail and I love your scenery. The best thing is the wheelbarrow, so creative. And I might borrow your fence design.

Edited by narbilu

Hooray for the round roof and yellow door!  Great cottage, fun concept too!  I really like the bright water coming off the base.  There may be a little too much going on at the front of the build though, what with the three colors for the path, the studded textures, the fencing, the clothesline, and a projecting rock.  But a yellow frog!  Great stuff. :grin:

Fantastic build!  Hilarious livestock traffic jam.  I really like the roof, the not-overly-detailed walls of the building that still have detail, the nice spindly trees that appear to be the kind that grow quickly down by the river, and the awesome fence.  The road looks organic, too, even with the lack of wedge plates.  I am still of the opinion that the light blue trans makes water look like the Caribbean or ice, so I am not a fan of that, although you did make some nice depth features there.  Also, people keep calling this livestock sheep, yet all I can see is a goat.  I think the horns make it look like a goat to me--are they supposed to be ears?  I think that sheep have ears that stick more out the side in my mind, but then again, I have been on a lot of farms and been around livestock quite a bit, so maybe the ideal in the general public's mind is quite different.  For goats, however, they are awesome and I think that I will try to use it for a goat when I start playing with livestock.

This has such a unique look! The cottage has so many nice curves and the roof is seamless. The little pond is a nice touch and the wheelbarrow is genius!

Nice little scene.  I like the goats and the use of the ninjago hood for the shepard is great.  I really like the roof technique on the house brings a more natural look to it.  The landscaping is nicely done, the water really stands out.  Great job.  

On 8/24/2018 at 11:01 AM, Andrew Spader said:

I actually really like the overhang here - it lends realism to the landscape. 

Thanks, I like it too. It was something our whole group did. 

On 8/24/2018 at 11:59 AM, TheLordOfBricks said:

Really nice one Henjin! I really like those cutouts, especially the water one. :) As I've said on Flickr, great colors here and an awesome sense of business without it being too much. :) That fence has to be my favorite detail though. Also, thanks for the shout out!

Of course, I stole the idea from you! The fence I am sure I stole from someone else, too, though I could not tell who it was. Glad you like it!

On 8/24/2018 at 3:25 PM, pombe said:

This is incredible, and there is a lot to like (and copy).  Now, I'm stalking following you on flickr.

My only critique is that you should use an air duster prior to photographing your beautiful MOCs.  Unless the dust is a feature of the Avalonian scenery, of course, and not a bug. :wink: 

It is true, it is not like I am building on the sandy dust plains of Kali... My problem is that it takes me a while to finish anything, so they sit for a while in my basement. I am glad you like the rest of it, though, and copy away!

On 8/24/2018 at 4:57 PM, CaptainAaron said:

Great build and wonderful explanation of the scene. Are you able to post a pic that shows the valley joint in the roof? I’m curious how you got the roof sections to meet up. 

Thanks! I'll be putting together a tutorial on the roof, actually, so everyone can see how chaotic the interiors of my builds are and how lucky I am that anything stays together...

On 8/24/2018 at 7:33 PM, mccoyed said:

This is a very adorable build. That building is kind of unique, looking like something out of an old JRPG or Harvest Moon game. Lots of really cool details, especially that cart. That's probably my favorite thing.

Thanks, I was going for a different vibe than normal. I had the rest built but felt like I needed something more, so I spent several hours tinkering with a ton of little brown bits trying to make a cart or wheelbarrow that I liked. I am pretty happy with this one. 

On 8/25/2018 at 1:40 AM, narbilu said:

Wow, I think this is one of your best builds ever... so many detail and I love your scenery. The best thing is the wheelbarrow, so creative. And I might borrow your fence design.

Thanks, Narb! As I said earlier, I don't think I invented the fence design, so borrow it freely!

On 8/25/2018 at 10:54 AM, Kai NRG said:

Hooray for the round roof and yellow door!  Great cottage, fun concept too!  I really like the bright water coming off the base.  There may be a little too much going on at the front of the build though, what with the three colors for the path, the studded textures, the fencing, the clothesline, and a projecting rock.  But a yellow frog!  Great stuff. :grin:

It is a bit busy, but then again, I was attempting to convey a sense of a lively scene, especially the chaotic convergence of many different parties, all at the front of the build. The roof was a bunch of failed attempts to do something with the cottage I had built, and I had settled on a curve, which made things difficult. But I think it turned out pretty ok myself. 

On 8/25/2018 at 11:54 AM, Grover said:

Fantastic build!  Hilarious livestock traffic jam.  I really like the roof, the not-overly-detailed walls of the building that still have detail, the nice spindly trees that appear to be the kind that grow quickly down by the river, and the awesome fence.  The road looks organic, too, even with the lack of wedge plates.  I am still of the opinion that the light blue trans makes water look like the Caribbean or ice, so I am not a fan of that, although you did make some nice depth features there.  Also, people keep calling this livestock sheep, yet all I can see is a goat.  I think the horns make it look like a goat to me--are they supposed to be ears?  I think that sheep have ears that stick more out the side in my mind, but then again, I have been on a lot of farms and been around livestock quite a bit, so maybe the ideal in the general public's mind is quite different.  For goats, however, they are awesome and I think that I will try to use it for a goat when I start playing with livestock.

Thanks, Grover. I happen to really like the trans-light blue for water (it is something I use in builds a lot) but I can see where you are coming from. 

And this is a rare variant on the sheep, one that has horns... It is an Avalonian specialty... Just kidding, they are probably goats (you can make parchment from sheep, goats, or calves - I am not differentiating between vellum and parchment, since no one can tell the difference, even in the past) and not sheep, but I like saying shepherd more than goatherd, so there we are...

14 hours ago, ZlatanXVIGustaf said:

This has such a unique look! The cottage has so many nice curves and the roof is seamless. The little pond is a nice touch and the wheelbarrow is genius!

Thanks, ZG! TM said he was trying for some NPU and I decided I should experiment on something unique, too, so I came up with the barrow. 

2 hours ago, zoth33 said:

Nice little scene.  I like the goats and the use of the ninjago hood for the shepard is great.  I really like the roof technique on the house brings a more natural look to it.  The landscaping is nicely done, the water really stands out.  Great job.  

Thanks! I am glad you like the roof. 

Such a nice build, I'm glad you were part of our team HQ!

The landscaping is very nice, I'm particularly fan of the pond, and I like the sheep design as well, but the star of this MOC is defenitely the little house. I'm in love with it's tudor sections, they're classic yet your own touch is still visible :drool:  The rounded parts are just :wub: (and you did a great job rounding those, I imagine that must have been a bit of a pain?)

I adore this build :wub: :wub:Some scenes create an atmosphere of their own, and the friendly country setting portrayed here is lovely.
The rounded roof design I think plays a large role in making the build so unique. Then there's the excellent stone foundation.
And some beautiful trees and a superb wheel barrow :thumbup:

On 8/27/2018 at 4:38 AM, TitusV said:

Such a nice build, I'm glad you were part of our team HQ!

The landscaping is very nice, I'm particularly fan of the pond, and I like the sheep design as well, but the star of this MOC is defenitely the little house. I'm in love with it's tudor sections, they're classic yet your own touch is still visible :drool:  The rounded parts are just :wub: (and you did a great job rounding those, I imagine that must have been a bit of a pain?)

Thanks, Titus! The rounded roof was a pain, but the rounded foundation was not bad. Glad you like the tudor, you know it is not really my thing, but sometimes I make sacrifices for the team...

On 8/27/2018 at 8:43 PM, soccerkid6 said:

I adore this build :wub: :wub:Some scenes create an atmosphere of their own, and the friendly country setting portrayed here is lovely.
The rounded roof design I think plays a large role in making the build so unique. Then there's the excellent stone foundation.
And some beautiful trees and a superb wheel barrow :thumbup:

The stone foundation was inspired by a cottage that you made, so glad you like it. I think I changed the technique a bunch, but the inspiration is there. I am glad I went with the round roof, as I think it does make it unique and interesting, more so than a more traditional angled roof would. And the countryside of Avalonia is always friendly!

Edited by Henjin_Quilones

4 minutes ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

Thanks, Titus! The rounded roof was a pain, but the rounded foundation was not bad. Glad you like the tudor, you know it is not really my thing, but sometimes I make sacrifices for the team...

I thank you even more for it! :wub: 

On the other hand, I used fleshies as well, so maybe we're in balance? :wink: 

So cute moc! The whole moc feels very Avalonian! The roof on the house is a great touch but my favourite part is the landscape (both road and water) that flows so organic out of the moc!!

On 9/3/2018 at 5:17 PM, TitusV said:

I thank you even more for it! :wub: 

On the other hand, I used fleshies as well, so maybe we're in balance? :wink: 

No, because making you use fleshies was a gift from us to you, as it was an overall improvement over yellows...

On 9/5/2018 at 4:59 PM, The Last of Nergoue said:

Great moc Henjin, the roof is very well done.

Thanks! Glad you like the roof. 

On 9/8/2018 at 2:52 PM, de Gothia said:

So cute moc! The whole moc feels very Avalonian! The roof on the house is a great touch but my favourite part is the landscape (both road and water) that flows so organic out of the moc!!

Thanks, dG! I am happy that you like the landscape spilling out of the base, as I really like it too. 

Cute scene, the irregular shapes work very well here :thumbup:
The green hood works great on that character btw!