Sign in to follow this  
C4ro

LDD runs slow on mac

Hi! 

I've just installed LDD on a brand new iMac. I've updated the iOS and tried all the performance settings in LDD but it's still super slow to load all thumbs on bricks. Every new section takes from 15 seconds to 2 minutes to load and the software is unusable meanwhile.

Anyone have any ideas on what I can try to resolve this? Used LDD on PC up until yesterday and it was running smoothly with no problems.

I have the same issue on all of my macs. It is likely inherent to how it handles the render. I have found that it helps if you use the "hide all colors" option at the bottom so its not rendering every color for every brick in one shot. 

Coincidentally, I just installed LDD on my, admittedly pretty old, (2011) MacBook Pro and had the same problem. It worked fine on my PC but that it died so I've gone back to the old Mac... yet it used to work fine on there too. Gutted.

It always baffled me why the thumbnails were rendered in 3D anyway - only time I'd notice was when I accidentally rotated one (and then, in a slightly OCD fashion, try to rotate it back exactly how it was before).

Anyway, have you tried an older version?

http://biomediaproject.com/bmp/lmp/games/

I had to delete the LDD folders from ~/Library/Application Support/, ~/Library/Caches/ and ~/Library/Preferences/ as well as the application itself to get it working, but version 4.2.5 does seem to be usable. Yay! I'll probably try the later versions once I've had a play.

Good luck!

Running the latest LDD on my MacBook Pro (Touchbar) and it runs pretty ok. 

Cheers for the suggestion supertruper1988, not played with the virtual bricks for a few years and clearly out of the loop.

Only had a quick go with it but looks really pretty good! Getting an error rendering but will hopefully figure that out.

@C4ro Latest LDD runs ok on my MacBook Pro (but it has a solid-state drive which is faster than a regular hard drive disk).  

Under LDD->Preferences, try turning down the "Advanced Shading" slider, maybe turn off "high-quality rendering of bricks in the brick palette".  

Also, is your Mac doing other tasks in the background? (As it's new, it may still be running spotlight indexing, which can really slow down hard drive access)

LDD can be quite taxing on your computer, if it doesn't have sufficient specs.

To put this into perspective, I have an expensive, water-cooled gaming tower, and the bricks still take a while to load occasionally. It's mainly the program itself. LDD is essentially a toy for kids, not for hardcore builders, so it's optimisation is nowhere near that of a "proper" CAD program.

Hopefully the suggestions above will help.

The Mac is terrible for many things, a lot of AD but is not good as PC, first time I installed it in my Mac and  not work very well, my iMac 2014 is not old a lot and pretty slow, now I am using my other computer one HP DV6 with 9 or 10 years and is far long better, very fast no lag, everything work fines, I include using the amazing .LXF Bugatti Chiron and work fluent :) 

Probably  is not optimized for Mac your the video card is not good a lot.