SpartanML

L-Town Revealed.

Well folks, here it is, my town, now known simply as L-Town. I noticed that the index thread doesn't get much traffic, and I am quite interested in feedback on the town.

A little background information:

Founded in 2002

Gradual buildup

More police then people... lol

Extremely user friendly

Negative - residential area never added.

I still don't consider this town complete, there is always work to be done!

I kind of consider this the commerical district of the town. There is plans to increase the town size and add homes, however when and if this gets done has yet to be determined.

A few highlight pictures.

Edited by SpartanML

That's a very impressive layout you've got there SpartanML.

You've got alot of impressive buildings there *y*

*sweet*

I love all of the many great vehicles you have in your town here like the police cars! the world city/spiderman police cars were always my favorite, here are afew of mine:

police_car_mods.jpg

you can see my WIP and other vehicles here: shameless self promotion on!

I love your massive police vehicles aswell, i think I commented on them somewhere else but the van with the boat on top is superb!

I wish i had that much space! :'-) keep up the good work! *y*

Nice layout SpartanML! Funny how our Lego towns are all very well-serviced by Fire, Police etc and with a large contstruction industry ;-) . Very hard to pad the towns out with more civilian sets/mocs when they're not proportionately produced by Lego :-| .

I like the way you've expanded the Fire dept. Nice job. I also like the way you've done the table with an access hole in the centre. I had a big u-shape against the wall but your idea gives more access and potential for twice the reachable depth.

I particularly like the style of your red and white RES-Q building (with the red arches over the upstairs windows). This is a great idea for a city shopfront that could be repeated en masse using different colours etc but more or less the same set of basic parts for a "main street" look & feel.

Good job! BTW - did you make the tables to fit the baseplate layout or the other way around?

Rebecca

Nice sprawling town you've got there Spartan.

Only suggestion I would have would be to build MOC buildings around the square opening in the middle. That way they would hide the opening and also make the town look like it has a real concentrated centre.

However, in saying that, I like the current layout alot :)

Very nice town. It reminds me of the neat layouts featured in the very early 90's LEGO promo materiel.

An impressive layout indeed, with a decent fire and police station and an interesting modern looking town hall.... *y* Your charming beach area looks very

nice too.... especially if I imagine the cargo liner trying to get by.... :-D

To answer a few questions. The table itself was originally designed in 2000 for use with Lionel trains, however that didn't get anywhere fast. The table remained dormant for some time untill I decided to start using it for the brick. Amusingly enough, the baseplates fit perfectly from side to side and really showed how well designed the table was. Since 2002 I have not looked back.

The reason why there is a limited supply of MOC buildings, simply, I don't have the money for them. As you can obviously tell from my real love affair, the fire dept and also the police, I have dumped a substantial amount of resources into the depts. That leaves little for the town. Much of the town building went on in 2003 and ended, their has been very little done since then besides update the existing structures. There was always plans to add more MOC buildings, just I continued to dump money into the Fire dept.

Case: nothing wrong with shamless self promotion, I am actually gearing up to take full pics of the massive police dept. If you head over to my flickr you can see the new highway patrol unit, a white mustang. I also used the world city era patrols as my basis, with a little tweaking they easily top the newer designs in realism. The spider man patrol car was the best one hands down.

Thanks for the comments everyone, they are greatly appreciated. Also, (more self promotion) be on the lookout for my entry into the hot rod contest, its a nice pleasant change of pace from the others :)

Very good city, with a lot of depth! For the residential area, are your going to do something like a suburb with a road or railroad branching out to the rest of the city(AKA an already existing table), or are you going to add some new tables and build on that?

Mike is an excellent fire apparatus builder and he is a great town builder. I came out of my dark ages when I saw the 6 wide fire apparatus on the internet. I have since started my own Lego Fire Department. Mike is a fellow member of the LMFD (Lego Fire yahoo group) and he showed me his town pics and now I'm hooked and stated my own town/City layout. As soon as I take some pics, I'll start a thread and put them up.

Paul G.

FD web site: http://www.pgoogs.youngstownfire2.com/

FD and town pics: http://pgoogs.youngstownfire2.com/gallery/index.php?

I like the way you've expanded the Fire dept. Nice job. I also like the way you've done the table with an access hole in the centre. I had a big u-shape against the wall but your idea gives more access and potential for twice the reachable depth.

My LEGO stuff is on the floor and not on a table. But if I put it on a table, I'll also do it the way you've done it: a hole in the centre. A agree to Rebecca. It's very good to have a big opening in the centre to have easier access to everything.

And your fire department looks really splendid!

Another nice city!

A nice and impressive firestation, an add-on to the classic LEGO restorant, some nice vehicules and cars 'and 4wide ones).

you need a lot of space to put your layout!